Personal Profile for Dining Mates

Cruise Arizona

Does anybody remember the days when you filled out a bit of a personal profile, a few simple questions, maybe, about your career, hobbies or interests? I always thought that maybe this was used to help you have compatible dinner mates. We have cruised the last 6 years at a table for 4 with our kids and haven't filled something like that ever since our first cruise 7 years ago with Celebrity. With the kids we always had a table for 4.

In two weeks my husband and I are going on our first cruise with just the two of us in 6 years, and we are set up for a big table. My husband is worried that this will be a disaster, but I point out that we had delightful tablemates on our cruise years ago.

Do you think that they are just random in their assignments?

Yes, I do remember filling out those forms, but not for many years. Now they ask you about illnesses and colds etc. I do think your table mates are random, we've had couples our childrens age along with couples are parents age all at the same table. We've never had to change our table, and made new friends with folks from all over. Have a great cruise :)

On our very first cruise 25 years ago I was concerned when realized that we would be seated with 6 other people. After the wonderful time we had on that first cruise, we have always asked for a large table. In 60+ cruises, we've only asked for a table reassignment once. The only reason was that we were seated with a family of 6 who spoke only Portugese. While we all smiled and nodded and gave hand signals, it was an uncomfortable situation for them as well as for us. We spoke with the maitre d' that evening and the next night were assigned to a different table with wonderful table mates. I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about.

We just got off the Summit where we were at a table for 10 and now we are emailing each other. We had a delightful time. Most people are really nice when you get to know them. If they are not, then you can ask to be reassigned, as others have said.

I've always thought it would be a nice luxury to "match" folks up a little better.

Maybe they could figure out how to do that online.

But in these times of cruise cutbacks, I doubt that's going to happen on a mainstream cruise line.

Out of about 15 cruises, we've asked to change tables three times ... but then, we're probably just weird! :eek:

We have always been accommodated quickly and to great effect. Mostly, it's been to get a table for two, so we can be romantic and call each other "babykins" and such ... like I said, we're weird, we're weird ...

Select dining... where you get to select when you dine and your table mates works for us big time.

Yes on our first cruises of forced seating we filled out a form disclosing our likes and such.... never seemed to make much difference as to the mix.... some were good, a few disastrous.

If the cruise doesn't offer a "we get to select our dining time and our new or familiar table mates" we go elsewhere

Simple as that. Try it and select your dinner partners here or once on board ship if you need the same people to eat dinner each night, don't leave it up to the cruise line.

But I do remember the dinner application. Don't miss it.

Our family of four was seated with two ladies who also reside in Germany when we sailed on Oct 30. We all assumed that was intentional on Celebrity's part. Funny thing--none of us were German (we are American and the ladies were Russian)--but we did have German as a common language. We were sort of sad to not get a vacation from speaking German every day (it is still an effort), but the ladies were so nice and we almost always enjoy our dining mates (I can think of only one instance when we did not--back when we were new to cruising and did not know we could request a change).

I had forgotten - but yes, our early cruises we were seated with very compatible tablemates. Our first (honeymoon) - was with another honeymoon couple of the same age. Then twice with our family and another family with kids the same age (and on one - our boys really liked those girls)! :)

At this point in our history: 3 for 3!!!

Then, . . . two cruises in a row, we were at a 6 top with 2 other couples that were much older than us and traveling together. Both times, the conversion was always polite and OK, . . . but inevitably, midway through every meal after catching up on the days events, the other 4 would start to talk like they were back home in their own places. "Did you hear what happened to xxxx", . . . or start complaining to each other about this and that, . . . their aches and pains and other medical "issues". . . etc. You know - things good friends talk about, but not things you should talk about with casual acquaintances on a cruise.

It was a bit of a drag for us. We are not the type of people that can ask for a change on board (we don't want to be rude - but am sure there are times where one has to do this for their own sanity). Thought the first time was a fluke, . . . but then 2 in a row - wow! :(

So, since then, we have simply tried to avoid this situation from occurring again. We opted for a 2 top once (which worked excellent for us), . . . and our last cruise ended up being no MDR at all and we relied solely on the alternative options (Med - late ports/early seating just doesn't work well [although - we normally choose early seating], . . . and sitting on the deck having dinner sailing out of port was much more fun).

Next week - we will get to try select for the first time, . . . which I think we will like very much!!!

For us its a few things... And i am sure we are not unique.

We tend to travel as a family of 6... 2 in laws, dh, me, and 2 sons. I could only imagine it would feel strange at an 8 top with us for the 2 others. Not to mention, some folks simply dont like to dine at a table with children. I getbthat!:D

When we Travel alone, i prefer a two top for a few reasons...dh and i never get to go out alone. It is just the way it is. Cruises are a special time for us to reconnect....not to mention dh is very introverted..and he actually stresses out all day about coming up with topics to chat about if we share a table. It really makes him nervous...which is a stupid thing to go through on a vacation....

I used to think folks that wanted to dine alone were snobby...but i have a whole new perspective now and am not judgemental of others choices as you never know what may behind them.

We were on the Costa Atlantica several years ago and were assigned to a table for six. Our tablesmates were a couple from Chicago with their two teenage girls. The surprise was that the couples' names, both first and surnames were identical to ours. The strangest coincidence in all the years we have cruised.

Suzanne, one of the great aspects of cruising is having the opportunity to meet some wonderful, interesting new friends. Only once in all our cruises, did we ask to change tables. Just think of it as meeting old friends for the first time.

Karyn

In 10 cruises we've never asked to be seated at an alternate table, and in one case we made wonderful new friends who have cruised with us again.

I think they may try to do some sort of "matchmaking", though, as we often find ourselves seated with other Canadians, and typically with people who have about the same number of cruises as us on the line we're cruising.

Years ago I didn't care about the tablemates. I always sat at a large table and met many very nice people. It was usually a mixed bag. When traveled with our kids we were matched with other families with kids. IT was nice. About 10 years ago, it changed and not for the better. We started taking longer cruises. We got stuck with annoying people who we really didn't like. For some cruises we put up with the undesirable tablemates. A few times we asked for another table. On one cruise we asked to be changed twice. Now we ask for a table for 2. We like each other and enjoy our own conversations. On select dining we sometimes opt to join other people who are usually nice enough for one meal. I think ofit as luck of the draw, WIN SOME LOSE SOME...it's only one dinner. We often laugh it off and are relieved not to have to dine with the same folks again and again. We have met some people who we really enjoyed and asked them to dine with us again. We have never been refused. Most people love dining with us. We have lots of friends and know how to get good conversations going. We still laugh about our 2 week Med cruise with the Winnebago salesman. He kept trying to sell us a camper. Since I DO NOT camp, he wasted his time. It's become a family joke. So now when I ask my mate, what size table would you like to sit at at, the response is always the same....table for two....unless you want to take a chance on being sold a winnebago for 2 weeks.

Does anybody remember the days when you filled out a bit of a personal profile, a few simple questions, maybe, about your career, hobbies or interests? I always thought that maybe this was used to help you have compatible dinner mates.......
I don't think I would like that at all. We meet plenty of people with similar backgrounds, hobbies and interests in our everyday lives.

One of the joys of traveling is having the opportunity to meet people from different backgrounds with different experiences, interests and hobbies. As Americans, some of our most interesting tablemates on cruises have been from Australia, England and Canada. We enjoy hearing their stories of lifestyles that we will never get to experience ourselves. On a recent cruise we were seated with a fascinating couple from Spain whose lives were very different from our own. To me the most important thing is that people who are seated together have a language in common so that they are able to communicate.

If we were on a family reunion cruise or traveling with an affinity group, however, we would probably request a table to ourselves in order to spare some poor unsuspecting strangers from being bored to tears by our conversations, which would be quite different under those circumstances.

Some of the best memories of our cruises have been the great tablemates we've had. I'm still traveling with many of them. Suzanne, we have a mutual acquaintance who shared how to change tables graciously. Of course you ask the maitre d for the change, and then the next night, stop by your former table on your way to dine. Let them know that you unexpectedly met friends from a previous cruise onboard who invited you to join them. How delighted you've been to meet them, yada, yada. It's worked perfectly on more than one occasion. The one time it felt a little awkward was the time we really DID run into former tablemates who wanted us to join them! ;)

Actually, Celebrity has the nationalities and age/sex of the people and tries to pair people up for dinner. We have had some really good and some bad/funny situations. We have changed tables for various reasons

as I am the fussy one - right table, waiter, wanting fun people -- don't ask...

Anyway --- We had a mother in-law and daughter in-law traveling together at our assigned table -- we later found out from the other couple at the table that we were not eating fast enough for the two of them to get out to the bars to drink!!! :eek:. Also, one night they were so drunk they could not come to dinner. It was too funny. LOL :p

We have had some other funny experiences too... Every now and then we have a good laugh about our experiences... You meet some very interesting people on a cruise.... We had some wonderful tablemates that we still stay in touch with, as we had such a good time... My feeling is if I am going to be unhappy for a whole week or more -- I want to change the table.

Archived