Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Just because most people don't know the difference between the PVSA and the Jones Act does not mean the two are interchangeable. The Jones Act does not apply to passenger ships.

There is only one ticket that needs to go out. It is the cruise line that gets fined, not the individual passengers. It is up to Carnival to bill the passenger if Carnival believes that the passenger should pay the fine.

Of course they are interchangeable and often are.

The point is, the fine is not automatic. Someone has to make a conscious decision to bill Carnival.

Curious to know what supplies the Navy thinks a fully stocked cruise ship requires.

bottled water, basic medical supplies, MREs or whatever fresh food they can get that will not require cooking. Sorry, No booze. we are NOT the British Navy :D

I am surprised that one of the San Diego television stations does not fly a helicopter

out to the ship to get some great photos.

Why? All you are going to see is a ship floating in the sea with a bunch of people on deck. If that is what you want, here you go ...

Sensation798X599.jpg

When the a/c went out on our Oosterdam cruise, they had to fly the engineers in from Europe because that is where the a/c units were designed/serviced. Depending on where those engines were manufactured (and of course the extent of the damage) it could take the experts a little time to get to Ensenada. :(

It is going to take the ship a lot of time to get to Ensenada.

Don't the cash register work on power........refrigerators......blenders.......ice.......HOT BEER!

I was on the Liberty when it lost all power other than the cash registers. Honest, somewhere I have a picture of the dark ship and the register burning brightly. John H. was the CD on that sailing also. By the time the cruise was over, I was so sick of his repeated defense of himself over what he said. Not once during or after the incident did the Captain speak to the passengers.

Al

Of course they are interchangeable and often are.

The point is, the fine is not automatic. Someone has to make a conscious decision to bill Carnival.

You clearly do not understand the difference between the Jones Act and the PVSA.

Solar maybe but definitely not any form of wind power (impractical). Any wind just pushes the ship around, think of a sail. You need a fixed base to counteract the forces to capture energy. And it would definitely not work while moving. Any energy input would have to be overcome by energy output (more drag). Imagine a wind turbine on your car with it's tires on the concrete. Now imagine the car is on ice...

True about the wind, and I had also thought about solar but I'm not sure there is enough surface area on the ship to make it feasible... areas exposed to the sun usually have other functions on cruise ships :)

I don't know for sure but it seems highly likely that there are smaller self-contained generators on board that can be used to provide emergency power to communications equipment, the infirmary, etc.

I'll be interested to read some reports from passengers when the return. I'm curious if there is anything improvised going on onboard to give any small glimmer of enjoyment or if everyone is just sitting around stressed out and worried? While common sense wants to say you should "make the best of it", reality sometimes has other ideas.

I honestly worry the most about people potentially going nuts. There are some people that are super anxious and might do ill-advised things. If that seems far fetched, imagine that not everyone on board is totally comfortable with cruising like we are. Think about the .01% who are scared of the water, claustrophobic, or otherwise apprehensive about cruising but were dragged on board by someone they knew.

Why? All you are going to see is a ship floating in the sea with a bunch of people on deck. If that is what you want, here you go ...

Sensation798X599.jpg

There was a fire. There could be noticeable damage.

For me, I can't get the image of people walking around the open decks with life vests on.

Either way, I think there are some people here making it sound like a day at sea, just that the ship isn't moving.

I imagine the mood is a bit more tense than that. Being told that we would need to be towed back to shore for 25 hours would have me a bit apprehensive.

Why would they be stuck down in their quarters:confused: They are probably liking a little time off...

I post about the loss of livelihood & your comment is that they're enjoying time off? If they're not assisting passengers in some way, I would assume (yes, I'm assuming) they're restricted to the crew levels rather than being allowed to lounge on the Lido deck.

I called Fox 5 news in San Diego and they explained to me that a helicopter is not

allowed to fly in international waters. Plus getting permission from Mexico for

a flight in their airspace would be difficult.

I am sure there will be lots of video from the passengers.

Greg

You are lucky you are on Southwest, they have a liberal change policy. If you cancel the flight you have 1 year to use the funds.

Jen in SoCal

We are sailing on Nov. 28th hopefully??

SouthWest has been paid in full (over $500)...

If the Splendor doesn't sail on the 28th I wonder if Carnival will pay for our plane tickets??? :confused:

Also wonder if we could get moved over to the Spirit IF we don't get a refund for our SouthWest tickets?? :confused:

For me, I can't get the image of people walking around the open decks with life vests on.

Either way, I think there are some people here making it sound like a day at sea, just that the ship isn't moving.

I imagine the mood is a bit more tense than that. Being told that we would need to be towed back to shore for 25 hours would have me a bit apprehensive.

why apprehensive?? Id be yippee, knowing it was under control and I was getting a free future cruise plus this experience .. the fire is out, things are moving along, why apprehensive now??

True about the wind, and I had also thought about solar but I'm not sure there is enough surface area on the ship to make it feasible... areas exposed to the sun usually have other functions on cruise ships :)

I don't know for sure but it seems highly likely that there are smaller self-contained generators on board that can be used to provide emergency power to communications equipment, the infirmary, etc.

I'll be interested to read some reports from passengers when the return. I'm curious if there is anything improvised going on onboard to give any small glimmer of enjoyment or if everyone is just sitting around stressed out and worried? While common sense wants to say you should "make the best of it", reality sometimes has other ideas.

I honestly worry the most about people potentially going nuts. There are some people that are super anxious and might do ill-advised things. If that seems far fetched, imagine that not everyone on board is totally comfortable with cruising like we are. Think about the .01% who are scared of the water, claustrophobic, or otherwise apprehensive about cruising but were dragged on board by someone they knew.

I'm sure there's at the very least a steel drum band playing somewhere on that ship right now...there always is!

I do feel for those with anxiety issues, etc. I'm sure provisions are being made to make as many people a comfortable as possible, no matter their situation. Perhaps even some type of "calm room" has been set up where people can go and talk and maybe even there are mental health counselors aboard as passengers who have volunteered their services to those in need. I think the event itself (fire alarms blaring everyone out of a sound sleep early in the morning) was probably quite traumatic, not knowing what was going on and what was going to happen. Imagine the elderly, and parents with young children especially.

1) Refunds for all passengers at an average price per person of $800 equal about 4 Million dollars X 2 (free additional cruise for everyone) total 8 Million.

2) Transportation costs of everyone and flight changes etc maybe another 1/2 million.

3) Food spoilage another 1/4 million

4) Towing to port another million at least

5) Lost net revenues for all cancelled future cruises another million but maybe much more depending on how many cruises are axed.

6) Repairs to the ship (who knows how much)

Plus other variables in the equation this fire could cost CCL upwards of 15 million dollars or maybe more.

7) Getting the toilets to work - priceless!

why apprehensive?? Id be yippee, knowing it was under control and I was getting a free future cruise plus this experience .. the fire is out, things are moving along, why apprehensive now??

Let's see.....supplies having to be brought in by helicopter from the US Navy. Crews figuring out how to rig tug boats to the ship for 24 trip back to shore.....

I think some of you are picturing a fully functioning cruise ship. This is certainly not the case.

Sounds like the bridge are the only folks with communication back home. That alone is enough to make some batty.

that may be...but i can certainly understand some people being apprehensive....

There could be noticeable damage. You are going to fly a helicopter for more than four hours round trip, completely away from the area you serve just to see if there is any noticeable damage?

The ship is in no danger of sinking, so the people are not wearing their life vests.

It is a day at sea. Not everything is working, but the ship is at sea.

And here you go, this is what people look like when wearing their life vests ...

E-musterdrill.jpg

I read in another news article that the toilets were working Monday evening. Not sure if I would want the bars open, well open for me :D but it could be a dangerous situation with drunk hungry tense people.

I would be so so grateful that I had booked a balcony and not fighting for fresh air up on the deck.

I know the plan is to off load passengers in Mexico and bus them to San Diego but what about the crew? Are they going to have to stay on board while it is towed back to Long Beach? Isn't that supposed to take days?

There could be noticeable damage. You are going to fly a helicopter for more than four hours round trip, completely away from the area you serve just to see if there is any noticeable damage?

The ship is in no danger of sinking, so the people are not wearing their life vests.

It is a day at sea. Not everything is working, but the ship is at sea.

And here you go, this is what people look like when wearing their life vests ...

E-musterdrill.jpg

I was just commenting, I didn't bring up the whole footage remark. But can't you understand that there are very curious people in this world???

Especially these days with information at a moments notice.

Nice photo of a DRILL. This is the real thing.

Nice if you have a balcony, but a HOT night sleeping tonight in an inside cabin... :mad:

Another reason to book a balcony.

Not a bad idea to be able to sleep under the stairs up on deck either.

Plus knowing you were getting a full refund, AND a future cruise credit!

Archived