Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

i'm so sorry the passengers on the splendor are having their relaxing cruise vacations impinged. my dh and i cruised on the miracle on 10/18 on the new itinerary and it was idyllic. arenee137 please don't let this freak accident ruin your planned cruise. i've found that the attitude you start any endeavor with is tone it usually takes through the entire experience--cruises included. choose to be relaxed and happy no matter what and that is the kind of cruise you will have.

Believe me, there are some terrible jobs out there where I can believe this to be true. Not everyone has the pleasure of a decent job. I have plenty of people under me at work who work on the average of a 15 hour day. No break. They are on their feet the whole time making sure their job is getting done correctly. I would bet any of these people who work this type of job would not care where they were as long as they were off work. Don't tell them to go get another job, because there is nothing out there in my neck of the woods.

Eating cold food and going to the bathroom in a bucket for a few days is not going to kill anyone. Doesn't anyone camp anymore??

So...? If you have people working "under you" for 15 hours a day you are violating OSHA laws at the minimum.

This thread isn't about camping, this is about people being stranded on a cruise ship running on generator power...having to be tugged into to a port.

I, for one, am so thankful for these cruisers that the toilets are flushing...there is cold water in the bathrooms and it appears that Carnival is doing all they can do to repatriot the passengers, assure them they will have no financial loss.

OBTW, Spam butties with mustard are pretty damn good!!!!

Is it possible, the Captian could have polled the passengers and asked them whether they wanted to take 2 nights to get back to the USA vs. 1 night and get off in MEXICO then be bussed ?? :confused:

I think you may be right. I've been thinking this may have been one of the factors in the decisions made to return, if possible to San Diego.

Joanie

Then call it on me. Id be one who would enjoy what was going on.

I think it might depend somewhat on how much you cruise. If you are doing half a dozen cruises a year or even more, something out of the ordinary can be fun. ... as long as I wasnt in harms way or my stuff.

Right....:rolleyes:

yes and I did say both things actually. So its about an hour or so from Ensenada to San Diego.

I wasn't trying to be arguemenative. I was just pointing out the SanDiego was very near the Mex border. But ensenada is about an hour + below the border, by car. I thought some people who were not familiar with the area were confusing the border and Ensenada. I hope that makes sense.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/09/navy-carrier-helps-stranded-cruise-ship-san-diego/

news stating it was headed to San Diego NOT Ensenada as originally planned

from there

"Carnival purchased the food that was delivered to ship, Hicks added."

Am now wondering why Carnival would deliberately purchase SPAM:confused:

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I'm surprised at the lack of any first-hand information from passengers. I imagine that they have family worried about them back home. I have no idea what the power supplies are, or how much it would take, but it seems that Carnival would make some arrangement for passengers to get the word out - wi-fi, internet cafe, limited mobile service, etc.

Cheers, Carl.

I honestly don't think anyone would volunteer up front for a cruise where they knew this would happen, even if just to see something different. Even if they knew what the compensation was.

But there are more than a few of us who would no probably not be as upset as others. It's all in how you look at it among other circumstances you may have (like how easy rescheduling will be, how special was this cruise, etc).

As I noted prior, as long as I have reading material and enough food to get by, I can manage through almost anything

Right....:rolleyes:

I called Carnival's wedding department about 30 min ago to ask them about s Plan B for my wedding. They told me that they are still planning on sailing on 11/14. Let's see, if they get into Ensanada Wed afternoon (being generous), wave their magic wands and ship gets out by Thursday morning on it's own power, crew spends Friday and Saturday cleaning up the boat, I guess it could sail on Sunday.

Any one out there want to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge?

Yes Carnival has been very good to the passengers on board ship right now, I just hope that the PR spin doesn't end after the ship makes it back to Long Beach or where ever, and they keep us in the loop on our upcoming cruise/vacation plans and not wait till the week before to cancel upcoming cruises.

I'll remain a Carnival cruiser. I really enjoyed myself on my past cruise with them. I just don't want to be left not knowing until the last minute if I should change my wedding plans.

The 11/14 cruise was cancelled. You'll get a full refund for the cruise, be reimbursed for your transportation costs, and get a 25% :rolleyes: discount off your next Carnival cruise.

I really wonder what caused the fire. Princess dry docks their ships every 18 months for preventative maintenance. Maybe Carnival should do the same.

...And were talking about 70,000 tons of supplies. And in my opinion they won't try during darkness as it is too risky. So the supply effort really won't get under way until tomorrow.

Ok just a slight correction, its 70,000 POUNDS of supplies (35 tons)

70,000 tons of supplies would over half of the entire weight of the Splendor :p

This article explains why there were food/supply drops. The jokes/comments implying the US Navy was stupid to send food and supplies to a stocked cruise ship were amazing in their ignorance. I would think the fact that there were drops happening would have made it obvious that the food and supplies were needed. But some people need it spelled out.....

http://wokv.com/common/ap/2010/11/10/D9JD0EIO0.html

The article also explains they are going to try to make it to San Diego.

Jen in SoCal

from there

Am now wondering why Carnival would deliberately purchase SPAM:confused:

I dont think Carnival had a say in the food ordering, i think they just allowed a certain budget for food and told someone else to get the supplies asap

I doubt its a priority. Or if power distribution is fried, not even an option. Add in no way to charge cell phones, no power for iCafe, etc not many options.

Wi-fi mobile and the internet all go over the same sat feed, so if that feed is unavailable, there's no communication.

If people still have charges on phones, as soon as they hit, ooh, about 10 miles outside of San Diego? The towers there will be a buzzing.

Side note - for those calculating distance between Ensenada and San Diego, remember that there are shipping lanes to consider and they have to be out a ways then turn into the docks. It adds time.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I'm surprised at the lack of any first-hand information from passengers. I imagine that they have family worried about them back home. I have no idea what the power supplies are, or how much it would take, but it seems that Carnival would make some arrangement for passengers to get the word out - wi-fi, internet cafe, limited mobile service, etc.

Cheers, Carl.

from there

Am now wondering why Carnival would deliberately purchase SPAM

Spam is a nutritious protein and needs no refrigeration. Ever been to Hawaii? They love it there and fix it many different ways.

I understand that they now make Turkey Spam.

:D:D;):cool::cool:

Archived