Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Ummm, that's your country's media outlet choosing not to air the story!!!!!

Do you really think Carnival is on the phone with BBC telling them to not air it? WOW!!! N

No, I wasn't suggesting that! Just that they are being very quiet and hoping the media don't notice. I wouldn't expect it to be top story on the BBC news but it is worthy of a few column inches somewhere (although when Princess had their fire a few years back the BBC ran with it). I just think they are maintaining a media silence. If it was happening in UK waters it would be a huge story.

I've been reading this post with interest,as we all have. Ive been trying to be honest about how I would really feel if I were on this sailing. I have cruise # 28 coming up in 4 weeks, and I cruise anywhere from 2-4 times a year, so that is a factor as to how I might cope. This has been mentioned earlier in this thread, in regard to individuals who cruise infrequently and who may experience a higher level of anxiety, dissapointment , fear etc. The other factor is how far did you fly to get on the ship. We live in Atlantic Canada, so for me this would be a min of 2 flights and 7 hours in the air, not great for sure. In fact I think I would have found docking in Ensenada yesterday and heading for |California prefereable, as then I could have spent wed to Sunday vacationing in S California. Again, this would not appeal to passengers who live in S California.

THe biggest factor for me would be who I was cruising with. If I was cruising with my 26 year old, easy going laid back daughter , we would make the best of it ( fortunately calm seas and great weather ) If I was sailing with my husband or his father, I would have jumped overboard and swam for shore. My husband would be miserable, nasty and uncommunicative. When we cruise he has zero patience for passengers who exhibit tendencies to complain, talk loudly about themselves, those who feel there needs are more important etc. ( i'm not that fond of them either but that is the reality of large groups) I would expect that the whiners and complainers will be out in full force on the Splendor.

The bottom line is this was an accident and they are in the best possible situation considering what may have happened. I cant imagine if you were on a ship that lost power in the North Atlantic during a transatlantic crossing in high seas. This happened several years ago to the Rotterdam and she docked in Halifax thereafter. They interviewed passengers who planning to sue HAL !!! Granted there were some serious injuries from flying TV sets and furniture as the ship was tossed around in the Atlantic, but how was the storm, 30 foot plus waves and subsequent loss of power HALS fault. HAL offered to refund all cruise fares 100% ( this was a longer cruise over 20 days I think and only one more port to go I think) if passengers signed a legal waiver. I remember thinking at the time, WOW if I had had the penthouse suite for 3 weeks and I got all my $$ back I would be ecstatic even with a few bumps and bruises.

Accidents happen, and the fire on Splendor is an accident.

I am not going to say I would be enjoying myself, but I do believe I would be coping well , esp if I was cruising with my daughter. My husband and I realize that we are fortunate to be able to take time off whenever we please - we are both self employed(different businesses) and that many other people only get 2 or 3 weeks a year vacation time, for these individuals I feel bad that vacation has been ruined. Keeping things in perspective this is only 5 days of your life, millions live in worse conditions every day and no one died or was even injured that we are aware of. So this too shall pass.

Great post! I agree. It is very unfortunate for the cruisers on the Splendor. Thank God the fire was contained, no one was seriously injured and the weather/seas seem to be best case scenarios.

We plan our cruises to the nth degree. But, we also realize that we have to take a big dose of patience and go with the attitude of "make the best of it" regardless of what happens.

We were on the Miracle last winter when it slammed into the pier in St. Kitts and put a huge hole in the side of the ship. We knew we had a problem and my husband said to me in a very concerned tone "how are they going to get us back to Florida?". My response was " I really don't give a rat's tail. We are in St, Kitts, have the ship to use as our hotel and the port is staying open late. It's all good lol". You have to look on the most positive side you can in times like these.

Not experiencing the situation on the Splendor first hand, I can only guess how I would react. It seems as though Carnival is doing everything in in power to keep the guests safe and comfortable. Hopefully, the passengers realize that and are handling the situation as well as can be expected.

Keeping them in my thoughts for a safe, smooth and speedy tow back to port.

the trip reviews from this cruise are going to be something to read

Congratulations to everyone aboard that ship that managed to smuggle in their booze. It probably came in very handy.

There is nothing positive about being on that cruise except getting off the ship.

No, I wasn't suggesting that! Just that they are being very quiet and hoping the media don't notice. I wouldn't expect it to be top story on the BBC news but it is worthy of a few column inches somewhere (although when Princess had their fire a few years back the BBC ran with it). I just think they are maintaining a media silence. If it was happening in UK waters it would be a huge story.

Carnival is doing update press releases a few times a day, hardly being quiet.

Obviously the Brit press has no interest in reporting on a story half a world away with no one in imminent danger.

I will agree with that. The story is not of too much impotence due to it's geographical location and most cruisers being American. Had there been a large group of UK citizens, it might have unfolded differently....but someone (a family member) would have had to notify BBC of it. Carnival isn't going to call and say they've got UK citizens on board, you might want to broadcast the story.

Im beginning to hope that one of the hosts will start combining threads about this .. please hosts.

New thread, would the ship have turned over if the seas werent calm .. couldnt the question have been posted here .. new thread about a fox spot about this ship etc. Its getting to where half the threads are official cruises, the other half last night were about the fire, people who cant just post a question to a ongoing thread.

My plead to others, please just post your question here, or on one of the other threads going strong. People will answer you. Eyes are reading this thread.

Can you imagine being on a cruise ship and only being able to eat spam. If that is not bad enough they cannot cook it. Wow I cannot believe that this ship is only 2 years old and the engine goes on fire. It seems that they forgot about any oil changes in the past two years.:eek:

Yup, all of the people complaining about them going from 5 in the steel drum band to 3 might want to be more concerned about money allocated to preventative maitenance. Has this ship ever been drydocked?

Good morning all. A couple of quick items I picked up on the TV news this am:

16 Britons on-board (I saw a post questioning that earlier)

Interior lighting is working

Most (not all cabin) toilets working - all public toilets working

Also - a strange streak in California sky - unexplained - Govt said not a missile. Okay John Heald here is fodder for your first post...it was a buildup of that first big flush from the Splendor when they got the toilets working.

God Bless and God Speed to all on board the Splendor.

Ok, I stand corrected.

I can understand in a small way how the passengers must be feeling. On my first cruise on Canberra (I was only 18 at the time). We had just dropped the lines and were pulling away from the pier when, extremely thick black smoke started coming from both funnels. It blew forwards over the the open decks and it started doing what I can only describe as "snowing soot", within minutes the surface of the pool was covered in a thin black film as was most of the deckspace. Many people had run inside to escape the deluge and we had no idea what was going on, just a coded message over the tannoy and some officers running around intentedly. They had also dropped the port anchor so the ship had stopped and was now lieing at a right angle to the pier about 200 metres from it. Slowly the black smoke turned to white and then to nothing. There was never any official explanation to what happened and we were soon on our way again, however my cousin worked on board as sous-chef at the time and he told us that there had been an engine room fire but it had been quickly extinguished.

The panic that you could feel from passengers even that close to land was palpable so I can only imagine what a similar experience must be like out of sight of land. I suppose they would feel many emotions, fear, panic, relief, helplessness, anger, joy.....the list is endless.

Ummm, that's your country's media outlet choosing not to air the story!!!!!

Do you really think Carnival is on the phone with BBC telling them to not air it? WOW!!!

I've heard it all now. All the conspiracy theories and nonsense. I just can't take reading this thread anymore.

I'm getting the same way. From nonsense posts about polling the passengers, and Carnival pulling all their other ships off their cruises to help, to worrying about nonexistent problems due to lack of A/C, and another post from a first time cruiser who soon plans to cruise without a passport, it's just a parade of dumb posts.

I'm only on page 54 of this thread, so forgive me if this has been posted before. On ABC news last night, the report stated what Carnival will do for the passengers regarding refunds, etc. Right after that statement, some woman was interviewed and said that offering a free cruise after this incident is 'like a restaurant offering a free dinner after getting food poisoning'. Nothing like putting a negative spin on the situation.

BTW, the WalktheTalk leadership quote of the day in my email this morning is:

"It is the service we are not obliged to give that people value most"

How appropriate for this situation.

Is it possible, the Captian could have polled the passengers and asked them whether they wanted to take 2 nights to get back to the USA vs. 1 night and get off in MEXICO then be bussed ?? :confused:

Is this really a serious question? Geesh. Do ya really think the captain would leave a decision like this up to the passengers? SMH.:rolleyes:

Im beginning to hope that one of the hosts will start combining threads about this .. please hosts.

New thread, would the ship have turned over if the seas werent calm .. couldnt the question have been posted here .. new thread about a fox spot about this ship etc. Its getting to where half the threads are official cruises, the other half last night were about the fire, people who cant just post a question to a ongoing thread.

My plead to others, please just post your question here, or on one of the other threads going strong. People will answer you. Eyes are reading this thread.

Thing is, people like that aren't going to see your plead so maybe you ought to start a new thread asking people not to start a new thread. :D

Let me start by stating that my thoughts and prayers are with the Splendr pax & crew.

1-Any comparison between the Splendor to the Titanic is silly. The only similarities are: They were both ships, they were both in water and they each had issues. one was a major tragedy, the other a major inconvenience.

2-i'm sure that as part of trying to keep the pax occupied somewhere on the ship they must be having a sing-along. i suggest the following songs in no particular order. pls feel free to reply with others:

a-kumbaya

b-sloop john b. (substiture the word Spam for corn)

c-my heart will go on.

d-michael row the boat ashore.

e-gilligan's island theme. (Substitute a 7 day tour)

3-will someone get more free obc for rearranging the deck chairs near the pool?

:D

We don't use the elevators when we cruise. We take the stairs all the time, even several times a day. It is not an impossible task. It is quite doable.

I used to and DW still does. I use stairs gong down and elevator going up if more than one deck. Many pax are not nearly as mobile as I.

Enjoy health while you have it.

Spendor has now shown up on AIS -

http://marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=372808000&header=true

http://marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=372808000&centerx=&centery=&zoom=10&type_color=6

about 126 nm south of San Diego Pilot. 25 hours out at 4.9 knots.

Craig

MKE

wow..she got a long trip back to san diego. Atlease shes on the AIS map so we can finally track her

The local news reported that CCL is offering all 4500 pax a full refund. Along with the spam dropped to the ship there was canned seafood- crab I think

Your local news is like the FOX news .. they are saying 4500 of passengers AND CREW.

There are only 3299 or some such number of passengers.

Gotta listen carefully to how the news is saying things to make it sound even worse than it is .. 4500 pax on Splendor would be newsworthy in and of itself.

We don't use the elevators when we cruise. We take the stairs all the time, even several times a day. It is not an impossible task. It is quite doable.

You must be very young to make such a blanket statement how easy the stairs are for everyone. My sister used to cruise with me and she is on a cane and mobility challenged. One flight is hard and dangerous due to her misjudging steps and she has to pull herself up each step.

think of all those who are even more so handicapped.

The local news reported that CCL is offering all 4500 pax a full refund. Along with the spam dropped to the ship there was canned seafood- crab I think

Interesting ... Especially since there is only 3200 pax on board.

Maybe they can get some KFC double downs out to the ship

Archived