Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Every trip, cruise or not, I carry a small LED flashlight and a few granola bars..

It can happen anywhere. A couple of years ago, my wife and I shared an anniversary dinner of Granola and Fruit Chews because the Eurostar wasn't reloaded with food in Paris..

Has this made anyone rethink what you will bring with you on your next cruise? When i went on my first cruise, i took some really ridiculous stuff that i can laugh about now....but i think on my next cruise, i will definitely take a small flashlight, and maybe some snacks or something....

Jeez, I don't know about fun but it's probably not the worst moments of their lives. I'm sure that the ship wasn't purposely set ablaze. Stuff happens and it seems like it is being handled very well. NO one was hurt and that's ALL that really matters.

Depends on if Carnival makes them transferable. There could be quite the market on ebay (as I say that I want to remind everyone to check to see if they ARE transferable, because some scam artist will probably post some if not)

ouch. He interviewed someone who said they wont sail on a cruise with carnival again. I wonder what they are going to do with the free cruise voucher

I read the article but don't see where they are having "fun". It says people are standing in line for 2 hours for food and then trying to find something to do and people have their doors propped opened for light and air and people are socializing. Where do you see fun? It looks to me people are trying to cope and if you have a balcony it is so much better than those who don't.

Actually the article on Yahoo was more upbeat than this one. I would provide the link but I can't get it work. Just read it on Yahoo.

This is one persons opinion that was able to report back.

There are positive people and negative people. We are going to hear both sides when the reports from the passengers start coming in.

It will be hard to believe they were on the same cruise.

Toni

Here is a link. people are having fun. It's not a nightmare.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=162691&catid=339

The doom and gloomers are gonna hate this

Are you sure you posted the right link?

"Many of the people I have talked to said that they will never take another cruise again, especially with Carnival," Zambrano said.

Lines two hours long to get Spam, pop tarts, and fake crab meat. Inside cabins totally dark with no A/C. Doesn't sound like fun to me. Vacation from hell.

think its a small sign of rust. steel and saltwater dont mix that well. Other ships have it too i noticed

Good point. I never really pay attention to the bottom of the boat when I'm cruising. That just struck me as odd.

Oh I think this cruise would have been an adventure! Im tired of people freaking out and listing all the negatives about this cruise. Its 60 degrees - go find a lounge chair and hang out! Hopefully you brough a great book to read and smuggled some libations. We always pack some snacks of some sort so nibble on those. A deck of cards and a few made up games - this would be fun! Get the other passengers around you involved. Meet people you would have never chatted to otherwise. Your going down in the cruise history books as a disaster at sea and no one was hurt! Take lots of pictures and have stories to tell everyone. So what your inconvienced for a few days - its costing you nothing!!! And you get a chance to pick another time and place (for free) to have a great cruise. If it were to happen again to you again (which would be a chance in a million)- would you also pick my lottery numbers if it did??? :) My vacations are to relax and enjoy and hey if I lose a lbs or two in the process - I wont die from it. So many are over reacting. So what if the news says 5000 passengers - they didnt do their research - we are the smart ones here and know different. Now Im off to find a cabanna boy to fan me......

Are you living in some fantasy world or do you just need some drama or excitement in your life? Have you ever had to deal with an event on cruise ship that caused discomfort and hardship on people? If not, you have no idea and it isn't an adventure I can tell you that first hand. It is a must cope and can't wait to get off attitude. Next time you go into a smelly public bathroom just stand in there awhile and see how long you can take it without gagging.

Oh I think this cruise would have been an adventure! /QUOTE]

I totally agree. I think this would be the BEST vacation story ever. Yeah, they are totally inconvenienced, don't have A/C, and eating non cruise food. But they had a NAVAL HELICOPTER land on their ship and had a Navy Aircraft Carrier come to your aid. I'm with cinderose, grab a chair and enjoy it while you can. Once back to San Diego, it's going to be a cluster and then everyone is going to complain. Take things in their stride. Carnival didn't plan this but they did keep it from being a tragedy at sea! I'm NOT a huge Carnival fan, but I'll sail them again soon because of the way they are handling this!

From John's blog a few minutes ago.

The cruise ship Carnival Splendor, which lost power after experiencing an engine room fire, is currently being towed via tug boats to San Diego. Based on favorable sea conditions, the ship is expected to arrive around midday on Thursday.

As the ship gets closer to coastal areas, guests are now beginning to receive intermittent cellular service. Additionally, the ship’s phone system is working on a limited basis and guests are able to make complimentary calls home.

A large Carnival team continues to work on hotel, flight and transportation arrangements for the guests and will be on the ground in San Diego when the ship arrives.

Guests continue to be provided food and beverage service and a limited schedule of activities. Toilets continue to function in most staterooms and all public restrooms.

think its a small sign of rust. steel and saltwater dont mix that well. Other ships have it too i noticed

Good point. I never really pay attention to the bottom of the boat when I'm cruising. That just struck me as odd.

If a ship doesn't have rust, it isn't in the ocean.

Kind of ironic that when you are on a cruise, one of the few TV stations you get is 9News in Denver, that's the only time I've watched that station, I thought the anchor on the video looked familiar.

Then, one of their employees is onboard the ship and the first to get cell service back to report on conditions on the ship.

Are you living in some fantasy world or do you just need some drama or excitement in your life? Have you ever had to deal with an event on cruise ship that caused discomfort and hardship on people? If not, you have no idea and it isn't an adventure I can tell you that first hand. It is a must cope and can't wait to get off attitude. Next time you go into a smelly public bathroom just stand in there awhile and see how long you can take it without gagging.

I see such love and light here!!!!!! To each their own - Bash all you want - You have no clue if its thats bad or what - your guessing so get off your assumptions and and be possitive - life is what you make of it. Go live in a 3rd world country and you would see this would be paradise to some. I gave my opion and mow you chose to beat me black and blue over it? Carnival seems to be doing everything in their power to try and accomodate these people. They got the toilets up and working didnt they? !!!! :D

LOl the bathrooms are clean and fine. This would be an exciting adventure for sure. Free trip plus another free trip. Good times.

While the toilet is finally functioning, it does not have the usual sanitizing procedure. With a stinking to unbelievable toilet in your cabin and in public bathrooms, if one can still "enjoy" one's ship time, then one must be "smell-challenged."

No air circulation, waiting 2 hours in line for food, and with thousands of fellow passengers compete for open-deck space, I dont know how some of the posters can say this could be fun.

It is easy to say anything is fine and makes lemonaide out of lemon, when you are in the full availability of all creature comfort. Wait till you are actually in THAT situation, you may be complaining louder than everyone else. :rolleyes:

Let's see... it is all about perspective:::

They are inconvienced for certain. There is no loss of life, and a fully functioning Naval hospital is very close by. It may smell, there are worse things. (Probably still people B*tching about smokers too!)..

These people went on a cruise, something many people in these times can't even afford.

Perspective: Thousands of people went to work on Sept 11, 2001 and many never even knew what happened, while others jumped to their death to avoid flames.

Perspective::; a 27 year old police officer that served two tours in Iraq, was shot and killed by a repeat offender during a routine traffic stop.

These cruisers are certainly having a bad few days.. (for some it may be the worst thing that has ever happened to them)...but they will live to tell about it.

And let's not forget that there is a crew there working around the clock, trying their best to make it as comfortable as possible for the passengers. Most of these crew members work for peanuts, and depend on tips to help support families back at home.. How many of these cruisers are going to feel the need to tip them? Their typical work week is 70 hours, and I am guessing few of them have gotten any sleep since this started. These are the same workers who pick up your cabin, and your mounds of food left on the tray after 3 trips through the buffet line.

And although I feel sorry for the passengers for having their vacation hit a major bump... I am glad that they are all okay, and glad they are in the capable hands of the crew, the Coast Guard, and the Navy. ... I truly could think of worse situations to be in then dealing with some stench and standing in line for spam..

Archived