Outstanding Warrant?? - Do Not Cruise!!

ccxnola

This comes from the information posted regarding the 'special events' on the Carnival ship in San Diego:

It's not unusual for authorities to check passengers' records as they disembark.

"You get on a cruise ship and they will run your name to see if a John Smith has any warrants," Cpl. Adam Miles of the San Diego Harbor Police told *******. "Every other ship that comes into our port always has one person who didn't take care of some warrant."

And they were not even going to San Diego - it was a Long Beach to Long Beach cruise!!!

Ah, the wonders of modern technology!!

All passengers on the cruise are checked are checked for warrant. It is standard procedure. Those that have active warrants are taken into custody and turned over to the local authorities at the end of the cruise. Someone will leave in handcuffs on each and every cruise.

This comes from the information posted regarding the 'special events' on the Carnival ship in San Diego:

It's not unusual for authorities to check passengers' records as they disembark.

"You get on a cruise ship and they will run your name to see if a John Smith has any warrants," Cpl. Adam Miles of the San Diego Harbor Police told *******. "Every other ship that comes into our port always has one person who didn't take care of some warrant."

And they were not even going to San Diego - it was a Long Beach to Long Beach cruise!!!

Ah, the wonders of modern technology!!

I'm allowed to say "DUH!" aren't I. You're entering the country at a Immigration checkpoint. Did you really think they wouldn't check outstanding warrants?

I'm a retired Florida parole/probation officer, and over my lengthy career, several such instances occurred. All passengers are checked ... and if a warrant is discovered, the authorities (usually the local sheriff's office) contact the issuing jurisdiction for verification. Once confirmed, the individual is located on the ship, arrested, and taken to the local jail, to be transported back to where the warrant was issued. Contrary to common belief, this has nothing to do with 9/11. It's been SOP for as long as I can remember.

You read about this every so often and it probably does happen every weekend at some port.

Generally the DHS has a week to check the records of all passengers that are on a ship. Unless the passenger jumps ship in a foreign port the authorities know when and where to find them. Police will be on the ship before anyone disembarks.

As far as the 2 that were removed from Splendor, there was 24 hours notice that they were returning to San Diego instead of LA. Plenty of time to send notice to SDPD or whoever.

I guess that there are those that think they'll never be caught. Others fall in to the category of "Dumb Criminals" like the ones that call 9-1-1 and report their weed was stolen Link Here. or the burglars that stopped to ask directions from a policeman Link Here. It takes all kinds:p

Charlie

I'm a retired Florida parole/probation officer, and over my lengthy career, several such instances occurred. All passengers are checked ... and if a warrant is discovered, the authorities (usually the local sheriff's office) contact the issuing jurisdiction for verification. Once confirmed, the individual is located on the ship, arrested, and taken to the local jail, to be transported back to where the warrant was issued. Contrary to common belief, this has nothing to do with 9/11. It's been SOP for as long as I can remember.

I sort of think that is as good a way (and probably less expensive) way to aprehend people with felony warrants. It is cheaper and easier and safer than sending people out to their last known address.

I sort of think that is as good a way (and probably less expensive) way to aprehend people with felony warrants. It is cheaper and easier and safer than sending people out to their last known address.

Many of those discovered to have outstanding warrants are parolees or probationers (yes, there is a difference) who have absconded from supervision. The oldest warrant we had served was from 1992, executed in 2006. Other offenders simply dropped off the face of the earth until discovered aboard cruise ships. Generally speaking, there's really no way of tracing many of those with active warrants, unless they're stupid enough to do something like board a cruise ship ... and lots of them do. We've picked up people wanted in Idaho aboard a ship that docked in Tampa. Most of these folks simply forget or ignore the fact that there's a warrant out for them. Unfortunately, many states will not extradite individuals who committed relatively minor offenses ... certainly not misdemeanors. Among other things, it's expensive. In the Idaho case, it was an armed robbery with shots fired, so the authorities did come for the two. In cases of in-state warrants, it's not a problem.

I would agree that it is cheaper than sending people out to serve warrants, but extradition isn't cheap either. I wonder how many people picked up on out of state warrants are actually returned to their home state. In my experience, jurisdictions only pursue extradition for serious felonies.

The took three people into custody yesterday from the Carnival Spendor after it was towed into port (engine failure). They released two of the three but the other had a warrant for grand larceny.

The Jerry Springer portion of the article I noted is that one of the guys they initially took into custody was because they thought he had violated a restraining order than was againt him as the woman who filed it was also on the same cruise. Authorities released him after they found out they were in the same cabin as they were booked together.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Many of those discovered to have outstanding warrants are parolees or probationers (yes, there is a difference) who have absconded from supervision.

Well yes...I know there is a difference. I'm an enforcemennt officer for the county. And probation is right across the hall from us. I still think it is a safer way to get people with warrants. Better than when they go out on sweeps. :)

All passengers on the cruise are checked are checked for warrant. It is standard procedure. Those that have active warrants are taken into custody and turned over to the local authorities at the end of the cruise. Someone will leave in handcuffs on each and every cruise.

You are right about the last part. Just on our last cruise I had to slap the cuffs on DW to make sure she wouldn't do anymore shopping.

I do find it hard to believe that there is a person leaving in handcuffs on every cruise. Then again, those seventy year olds on my HAL trip in June did look mighty suspicious.

Well yes...I know there is a difference. I'm an enforcemennt officer for the county. And probation is right across the hall from us. I still think it is a safer way to get people with warrants. Better than when they go out on sweeps. :)

I participated in dozens of sweeps over my 31 years ... and you're right. But as I mentioned, many of these folks had skipped out on supervision, so law enforcement had no idea where they were. That's one of the reasons I went to work every day ... the only predictable facet of the job was its unpredictability.

This happened to a friends granddaughter who is 23 and lives in Mass. Skipped a court date. Went on a cruise out of Florida with the grandparents and was taken into custody as she disembarked the ship.

I really depends. In recent months, I've known of a man with a child abduction warrant from Arizona and a man with an armed robbery warrant from South Carolina. They were both on ships that pulled in here to Key West. Neither were arrested because the issuing states would not extradite. In the Arizona case, it was mentioned they had no money for extraditions further than one state away.

Archived