Does HAL Corp. people read this Forum?

heidik

Do you think the HAL "powers that be" are aware of this Forum? I've been reading alot about complaints regarding staff shortages, being overworked, etc. and I was wondering if you believe HAL will respond to these complaints? I'm new to HAL and am not familiar with their "track record" regarding responding to customers......just curious.....

p.s. sorry for the bad grammar in my headline....it's early :)

I'm not going to say it's upper management but several here have reported being contacted or recognized by HAL employees and they've mentioned Cruise Critic. We received an email that is linked only through our personal website from a HAL employee commenting on our website and the email's origin was HAL headquarters in Seattle. So yes, they know about CC. How much attention they actually pay to what is posted here is probably debatable.

Not sure if executives at Hal follow some of the boards here on CC.

I do know that some of the Hotel Managers on the ships follow them. On one of our cruises the hotel manager was very knowledgeable about some of the posters on these boards and during our dinner conversation he brought up various post and subjects from Cruise Critics.

Yes. Over the past 18 months or so there have been 18 posts such as this:

Holland America Line special edition luggage tags were sent to 3-star Mariners and above as well as a selection of top 2-star Mariners. We are happy to hear that the luggage tags are being well received and put to good use, thanks for the feedback.

To find out more information about the Mariner Society Rewards Program visit the Mariner Society page at www.hollandamerica.com, for general inquiries email mariner_society@hollandamerica.com. Visit your Mariner account online at the HAL website today to sign up to receive complimentary the newly-designed, award-winning Mariner magazine via email.

Before someone suggests this may be a "fake name", note that below the user name where most people have "Cool Cruiser" or "Blue Ribbon Cruiser" etc, this person has

Public Relations Manager, Holland America Line

so this has obviously been verified by Cruise Critic management.

John's post directly above mine (#11) says it all.

However, I'm one of the people who was telephoned by a HAL vice president (IIRC- in any case, a head of a division) as a result of a thread on this board.

That executive had put an underling to work tracking me down based on all my posts here. I'd given my cabin number on a roll call, because I was hosting a party. Checking their own database, that gave them my name, and contact info.

I do know that some of the Hotel Managers on the ships follow them. On one of our cruises the hotel manager was very knowledgeable about some of the posters on these boards and during our dinner conversation he brought up various post and subjects from Cruise Critics.

just wondering if that might be someone who just returned to HAL;)

by the way, it's also fascinating some of the officers (and others on the west coast) actually post on CC:eek::eek:

they'd be crazy not to pay attention to a site like this. it represents free market survey data.
Albeit a very small slice of their market. Folks within HAL do read this forum. I've had some tell me so, and I have been recognized on board from my avatar photo.

John's post directly above mine (#11) says it all.

However, I'm one of the people who was telephoned by a HAL vice president (IIRC- in any case, a head of a division) as a result of a thread on this board.

That executive had put an underling to work tracking me down based on all my posts here. I'd given my cabin number on a roll call, because I was hosting a party. Checking their own database, that gave them my name, and contact info.

What was the topic of the thread? What sort of posts trigger their interests?

(Do we dare make a reservation at Pinnacle ever again:eek:? Though 99% of my other HAL posts remain positive. But I would never want any "special" PG treatment if I were to be tracked down because the point was the need for general improvement; not special treatment for one unhappy customer on one night.)

just wondering if that might be someone who just returned to HAL

by the way, it's also fascinating some of the officers (and others on the west coast) actually post on CC

I think it's great if HAL Officers post here. They are in the 'know' and we get accurate information. It's always best to get viewpoint from those who live on and run the ships. What do any of us vacation cruisers really know about 'running a cruise line?' :D

Also wonderful if decision makers/implementers from Seattle post. They certainly have direct impact on what our cruises will be like today and in the future. :)

I'm aware of the case that Patricia spoke about because I was on that same cruise. I'll just say it was not about a single post or thread, nor about a complaint or compliment, but rather a personal matter.

Thanks, John, but I don't mind answering. Because of this incident, I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about how HAL uses this board, nor about HAL corporate. YMMV.

(Do we dare make a reservation at Pinnacle ever again:eek:? Though 99% of my other HAL posts remain positive. But I would never want any "special" PG treatment if I were to be tracked down because the point was the need for general improvement; not special treatment for one unhappy customer on one night.)

I'm sorry to repeat this for those who've heard the story more than once. I started a thread asking for suggestions in managing a cruise with my senior parents, especially my mom who then had early to moderate Alzheimer's. The regulars here were very supportive, and I still appreciate the help I got.

However, HAL Corporate was concerned about liability. The executive who called me invited me to cancel my cruise, at the behest of someone senior to her as head of a division. I was told we would be liable to be put off at any port without compensation.

I chose to take the cruise anyway. Mom perked up for it, and was her usual charming self. Crew called her "The Pink Lady", as she wore bright pink every day. The cruise was a perfect "10" with not a single glitch. I don't know staff was told to watch us like a hawk, but more than one senior crew went out of their way to say "The Pink Lady" was one of their favourite passengers. So it all ended happily.

On the Eurodam in 2009 in discussions with the Chief Cullinary Officer it was clear that they read CC boards and are sometimes even aware of the actual identies of some posters. :) The South African at the Shore Excursion desk told me that she frequently read the boards to see what people's comments/complaints are in order to try and improve things.

On a recent Eurodam, our CD told us that HAL is fully aware of these posts and with 1,000,000 strong takes them very seriuosly. Good to know..
The CC membership as of a few seconds ago was 634,799 and growing at about 300 per day, but the bulk of these members do not sail HAL or post on the HAL forum. Consensus estimates in the past have come up with a figure of 4% or less of HAL's customers post on this forum. However, admittedly we're a very vocal 2,500 and may influence many times our number!

I was on the Rotterdam in March, the Captain and Hotel Manager came to our meet and greet along with other ships officers. We were told they read the boards.

There are lurkers out there who read the boards but never post. So the 2,500 is fewer than those who actually read the HAL board.

Here's some more numbers that may interest you: of the almost 712,000 threads in the Cruise Lines A-O and P-Z forums, RCCL has 178K, Carnival 168K, Princess 96K, NCL 76K, and HAL and Celebrity are approximately tied at 57K and 56K respectively. IF the number of threads is at all proportional to the number of CC members, then "HAL Pals" make up about 8%. :)

The CC membership as of a few seconds ago was 634,799 and growing at about 300 per day, but the bulk of these members do not sail HAL or post on the HAL forum. Consensus estimates in the past have come up with a figure of 4% or less of HAL's customers post on this forum. However, admittedly we're a very vocal 2,500 and may influence many times our number!

Maybe the CD was blowing smoke but he definitely knows we are the ones who they should be concerned about. Makes absolute sense. Cheaper to retain than to recruit. To all the HAL Cruise Critic fans or otherwise it's a great ride for die hard cruisers such as ourselves.

Thanks, JTL513 for that data.

Archived