What Do You Do When Your Shoes Hurt?

Kellie Poodle

Hi fellow cruisers,

I have terrible feet. It is near impossible to find a pair of heels, even low ones, that don't make me want to cry after 30 minutes.

I do like to dress up for formal nights so I wear the shoes that I know will hurt. I have seen little ballerina flats that come in a pretty little sack with a strap and was wondering if anyone has used these.

The ones I have seen are called "Easy Flats" I think.

I will not wear shoes that hurt. Makes me an unpleasant person to be around. Find some comfortable sandals or flats or get a good fitting in a shop which specializes in people with foot problems. You will not be a nice person if you are in pain- better happy eyes and face than pretty feet.

I hear ya, Kellie Poodle! I've got awful feet too, and have been considering those Easy Flats. It seems to be impossible for me to get a decent fit -- I have a high instep, high arches, bunions, SUPER NARROW heels -- ugh! The one style of shoe that I have more luck with than any others is a shoe that laces up -- I can get the toe box big enough and adjust the fit with the laces. I even found a pair of gold sling backs with about a 2" heel that lace up :) They are my "go to" evening wear shoes for now.

I wore my Merrell hiking sandals one formal night :D Not the ongoing answer, but the best I could manage that evening!

I bought a pair of Angela Nuran ballroom dancing shoes for my wedding last month and I was able to stay in them almost all night. They are a 3.5" heel but also come in 2.5" as well. They are very pretty!

I think DH is going to buy me the foldup ballet flats for Christmas this year. I've heard of the brand "Fit in Clouds". I wish I could wear flats more often but there is a huge difference in height between DH and I, so I feel more confident in heels, even suffering.

I have a hard time finding heels that are comfortable, but they are out there. Of course, flats can be just as uncomfortable, sometimes even moreso, than heels is they don't fit right either, especially if there is no footbed in them, just a piece of leather (or cheap shoes, vinyl) and then floor.

I adapt the shoes for my foot. First I buy the right size, then I add an orthotic plus cushioning to the right shoe and cushioning to the left shoe. I have very high arches and nerve damage in my right foot, so if I don't have the orthotic, forget it, even sneakers cause pain.

So my advice it to keep looking for properly fitted shoes. Even if you have to spend out of your comfort zone. Because a pair of shoes that is $150+++ and is worn a lot is more of a bargain than a dozen pair of cheap shoes that hurt.

Hi fellow cruisers,

I have terrible feet. It is near impossible to find a pair of heels, even low ones, that don't make me want to cry after 30 minutes.

I do like to dress up for formal nights so I wear the shoes that I know will hurt. I have seen little ballerina flats that come in a pretty little sack with a strap and was wondering if anyone has used these.

The ones I have seen are called "Easy Flats" I think.

i have a hard time with shoes too and recently bought the FLATS...couldnt get them off fast enough...they are going back..seemed really narrow-narrower to me than most and then come like 9-10 type sizes--.hurt my feet instantly...i have bought several little heel sandals and flip-flop styles for my cruise next month and will be taking more than enough...my feet swell and change alot on the cruise and for 2 weeks i want to be covered in the SHOE dept.

I, too, have a terrible time finding shoes that are comfortable. I have a high arch and narrow heels. When we moved here to Atlanta I almost immediately went to Norstroms and spent an entire morning trying on shoes until I found three pairs that fit. I think I tried on over 3 dozen pairs, but I was bound and determined to get something that wouldn't sit in my closet forever. The one pair has high heels (3") and I wear them to work all the time and can run run run all over the place without any pain at all!

Like others have said, you need to go to a good shoe store that carries different brands, sizes and widths and just keep trying until something is perfect. It may mean spending a bit of money, but man - is it worth it!

I recently bought some of those strap liners (foamy stick-ems) and they have saved a couple of pairs where the heel was just slightly narrow. I also have a couple of pairs of those new flats that have a bit of elastic on the sides, and they are great for casual dressing. I took a pair of pewter ones on our last cruise.

Good luck ... I honestly feel your pain!

I have those foldable flats, I bought them for a friend's wedding. They were really comfortable, but they don't have much of a sole, so it's not really that great for long walks. I wore them on the dance floor to dance in, but I wouldn't know if I would walk down the block in them. It felt like walking barefoot. I would call them more like slippers than shoes. That said, I will probably bring them on my next cruise to either dance in the evenings, or just walk around, but I wouldn't wear them for the whole day.

My feet have recently gone from bad to worse (neuroma, inflammatory arthritis, plantar fasciitis, easily blister). Most dressy flats don't have enough padding or are too flat, or have the elastic all around, which rubs and causes blisters. Even short heels can wreak havoc with the neuroma. My doctor got me orthotics but they make anything other than running shoes too tight.

I recently found a website that sells shoe clips, called absolutelyaudrey. I ordered some and put them on my plain Easy Spirit flats to create formal shoes. These clips were popular in the 80s but faded into oblivian, but now I see lots of designer flats with medallions and stones on the front, so it is the perfect time to bring them back.

I have those foldable flats, I bought them for a friend's wedding. They were really comfortable, but they don't have much of a sole, so it's not really that great for long walks. I wore them on the dance floor to dance in, but I wouldn't know if I would walk down the block in them. It felt like walking barefoot. I would call them more like slippers than shoes. That said, I will probably bring them on my next cruise to either dance in the evenings, or just walk around, but I wouldn't wear them for the whole day.

I bought a pair of "Dr Scholl's For Her Fast Flats" in Tampa in Sept and another brand also to try. Both were under $12 each. I've got to remember to take a pair to a wedding on Dec 4th, because I always end up on the dance floor in my stockings and no shoes.

I have very flat feet and my nice shoes only usually make it to dinner and then I pop into the cabin to change into my OneSoles because they have a stretchy neoprene top. I'm on the quest now for a dressy shoe with a 2" or lower heel to wear with my dresses.

The vast majority of flat or ballerina type shoes simply do not have enough support and cushioning for people with foot problems. I suggest you try Cole Haan for lower-heeled shoes that are attractive. I still add extra arch supports and metatarsal pads, but I can stand around all evening in this brand without pain. Of course, a glass or two of wine always helps too.

I recently found a website that sells shoe clips, called absolutelyaudrey. I ordered some and put them on my plain Easy Spirit flats to create formal shoes. These clips were popular in the 80s but faded into oblivian, but now I see lots of designer flats with medallions and stones on the front, so it is the perfect time to bring them back.

I just went to a wedding recently and jazzed up my flats with some of my old shoe clips. ;) It's nice to see those coming back in.

I bought a pair of "Dr Scholl's For Her Fast Flats" .

those are the ones i bought too...HATED them, but then i cant wear 75% of the shoes EVERYONE else can either--they were a good idea just for a quick change and when i saw the ad i said i NEED for the cruise, but they arent going with me:(

My feet have recently gone from bad to worse (neuroma, inflammatory arthritis, plantar fasciitis, easily blister). Most dressy flats don't have enough padding or are too flat, or have the elastic all around, which rubs and causes blisters. Even short heels can wreak havoc with the neuroma. My doctor got me orthotics but they make anything other than running shoes too tight.

and here I depended on you for everything "Fort lauderdale". Thanks so much for this tip about a place for shoe clips. I too have many, many foot problems and cannot wear many of the new shoe styles that I love. I was out yesterday - hit a few shoe stores looking for clips to dress up my reliable plain shoes. The decorative shoe clips are not around any more. Thanks so much and my feet thank you too.

and here I depended on you for everything "Fort lauderdale". Thanks so much for this tip about a place for shoe clips. I too have many, many foot problems and cannot wear many of the new shoe styles that I love. I was out yesterday - hit a few shoe stores looking for clips to dress up my reliable plain shoes. The decorative shoe clips are not around any more. Thanks so much and my feet thank you too.

I just received my absolutelyaudrey.com shoe clips today. They are gorgeous! I got black satin bows with big clear rhinestones and flat rectangular clips with little black stones. They look great! Maxine, you just reached 666 postings today, so this is a devilish idea, I must say!!!

I used to make my own shoe clips in the 80's from buttons and rhinestones.

Wonder if Michaels still sells the blank clips? They do have a nice selection of metal jewelry pieces to add on.

Crocs. They are not just those funny ones you think about - although they are crazy comfortable. But they make dress ones, flats and are super comfortable.

Thanks for the idea. I checked out the web site and I'm going to start looking for some of the pump styles to try on.

I used to make my own shoe clips in the 80's from buttons and rhinestones.

Wonder if Michaels still sells the blank clips? They do have a nice selection of metal jewelry pieces to add on.

Thanks for the idea. I checked out the web site and I'm going to start looking for some of the pump styles to try on.

If Michaels doesn't sell them, do an online search, as I definitely saw some while I was shopping for the fancy clips.

Etsy has some adorable shoe clip options - I'm not very crafty (though I continue to try, heaven knows why) but knowing my limitations - I often browse Etsy when I'm looking for something a little different. I got a fabulous fascinator to wear to my sister's rehearsal dinner.

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_query=shoe+clips&search_type=handmade

I am seeing some lovely shoe additions beyond the traditional clip on the toe - love these back "poufs": http://www.etsy.com/listing/62318340/hemispheric-chiffon-shoe-clips-in-navy?ref=sr_gallery_18&ga_search_query=shoe+clips&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title&filter%5B0%5D=handmade

il_570xN.194541944.jpg

And these side bows: http://www.etsy.com/listing/61833380/bellas-bow-opulent-black-satin-shoe?ref=sr_gallery_15&ga_search_query=shoe+clips&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title&filter%5B0%5D=handmade

il_570xN.192930170.jpg

Archived