What Do You Do When Your Shoes Hurt?

Kellie Poodle

and here I depended on you for everything "Fort lauderdale". Thanks so much for this tip about a place for shoe clips. I too have many, many foot problems and cannot wear many of the new shoe styles that I love. I was out yesterday - hit a few shoe stores looking for clips to dress up my reliable plain shoes. The decorative shoe clips are not around any more. Thanks so much and my feet thank you too.

I just looked on e bay. 390 of them to choose from.

How can you tell if you have narrow heels?

I have fitting issues too, wide feet, high instep and short toes. Loafers are an impossible dream and I finally found a pair of thong sandals that work, but even then I have to buy them a bit too long so the toe post is in the right place. I suspect my heels are short, too, and/or maybe too flat? Many shoes cut in at the hamstring if you know what I mean. Running shoes are particularly bad.

I generally find I'm better in a peep-toe sling-back and I've had better luck fitting into cheap shoes. (They tend to be wider) I have twice succumbed to the siren call of Nine West styling and suffered for it! Another bonus of cheap shoes is that if you do find you've made a mistake, it's not as heart-breaking to send them on to the thrift shop.

If anyone knows a make of better shoes that fit flippers like mine, I'd love to know about them!

So...what do I do if my feet hurt? Bleed! :D

I have all kinds of foot problems, plus funny shaped feet, too. Bunions (thanks, Grandma), plantar fascitis, which comes and goes, blister easily, high arches, narrow heels, wide at toes, plus now I need extra room for the bunions, etc. etc.

I haven't found flats that are comfortable or supportive enough yet. Most regular heels don't work, but I have found some wedge heels/sandals that are very comfortable for me--some I can even wear shopping for several hours. It's harder to find really dressy shoes like this, so sometimes I have to compromise on style for comfort.

The wedged heels seem to provide enough support for my foot and room at the toes. I agree; you have to try on lots of shoes and, for me at least, I need to bring several pairs along so I can alternate them if one pair starts to cause problems.

Also, I have to forget the super high heels, anymore, and hopefully find something pretty in the 2-3 inch range.

I found some stuff from Dr. Scholls. You rub it on your feet where the shoes tend to rub and voila - no pain, no blisters. I think it must be some kind of silicone that justmakes the shoes glide over the spots. It comes in a tube like chap stick. I also put heel liners in every pair of shoes with a back on them and put a gel cushion in the heel area. I have nerve damage in my right foot from a back injury so nothing feels good on my right foot, but sometimes I go for looks over comfort and wear strappy heels on formal nights.

I found some stuff from Dr. Scholls. You rub it on your feet where the shoes tend to rub and voila - no pain, no blisters. I think it must be some kind of silicone that justmakes the shoes glide over the spots. It comes in a tube like chap stick. I also put heel liners in every pair of shoes with a back on them and put a gel cushion in the heel area. I have nerve damage in my right foot from a back injury so nothing feels good on my right foot, but sometimes I go for looks over comfort and wear strappy heels on formal nights.

Thanks, DebJ14! I'm definitely going to look for this. I've heard of similar products before but didn't have a clue where to look. I always get blisters if I do too much fast walking (even though I walk a lot), especially if it's hot. I also get blisters or raw areas where straps on shoes that I haven't worn much, like strappy heels on winter cruises, hit. Maybe this product will help with that too--as long as it doesn't make them too slippery.

That sounds like great stuff!

Etsy has some adorable shoe clip options - I'm not very crafty (though I continue to try, heaven knows why) but knowing my limitations - I often browse Etsy when I'm looking for something a little different. I got a fabulous fascinator to wear to my sister's rehearsal dinner.

Nice unusual selection! Thanks for sharing!

I just bought some of that stuff. Thanks. I also got some sticky-back moleskin for the strap of my gold sandals that annoys the side of my foot.

This definitely does work. I buy it in the health & beauty isle of my grocery store, with the other foot products. I won't travel without it.

Mary Lou

I wear a 6.5 3A shoe, always have, always will (I am 70+). My mother and her 3 sisters had the same size from adulthood to death. I can wear some 7 3A, but almost no shoe manufacturer makes shoes in this size, so I am forced to put arch supports/pads/whatever just to make a shoe stay on my foot. I mostly have thong type evening shoes, and trying to find non-"summer" type shoes is really hard.

Having shoes custom made now is out of the question for me, but had I known a few years ago, I would have done so because the major cost is in making the mold for the shoe, and from then on the cost is in shoe construction, and that is usually in a $100 range.

Fortunately my shoes are mostly "never go out of style" shoes and God knows how old some of them are! Not stilettos, not clunky, not chunky, but REALLY boring:D

Having shoes custom made now is out of the question for me, but had I known a few years ago, I would have done so because the major cost is in making the mold for the shoe, and from then on the cost is in shoe construction, and that is usually in a $100 range.

Where do you find people who do that sort of thing? How do you look something like that up?

Google custom made shoes in your area, or a nearby metropolitan area and you will find many sources. Foot Solutions is NOT the kind of source I refer to. Jane 110 might also be able to lead you to some specific sites. I am originally from SoCal and the Los Angeles area had several shoe cobbler places that made foot molds and custom made shoes. The first pair might be $400 b/c it includes the molding and fitting process, but after that, it's probably about $120 for dress shoes that will ALWAYS feel great and fit well (unless your feet change size which doesn't occur too frequently in adults. The two pairs I still have are so comfortable, albeit waaay out of style (I wore the others out:(: not the soles, but the actual tops:eek:) and that company has gone out of business. If you are less than 40 or so and want really comfortable pretty shoes, give it a try. I say 40 only because it is an investment that some women might not be interested in making. If you have bunions or other foot problems, I don't recommend this at all. My feet happened to be perfect, probably because of the small and narrow size, and my mother always made sure that my shoes fit me. After all, she had to as it was her "fault" that I had these small narrow feet:D. Four sisters - all 6.5 3A.

I unfortunately passed this on to one of my sons, but men have it a lot easier: wear heavy socks and anything stays on.

I also have achey breaky feet and have for years. I've not worn heels in over 10 years. I don't dress to impress...I dress for comfort. Recently found a comfy pair of Skecher thong sandels, black sequins, the kind that are supposed to tone your bottom or whatever when you walk. They are very comfortable....and I don't say that often about shoes. These will be my evening shoes for a 5 day cruise next week. I also had to have orthotics made ...luckily my insurance paid the full cost ($400+). When your feet hurt, you hurt all over. Hope you find relief

Like others, I have very high arches, foot problems, orthotics with a lift and a pretty bad back. Heels are a thing of the past (unless I want to spend a few days with my feet up and ice packs on them while they recover...:eek:) I have a pair of orthotic Mary Janes - kind of clunky, but not painful. And on formal night on my last cruises, I wore a pair of plain black sneakers with the elastic rather than laces up the front. Not sexy, but I could still walk. My mother taught me that if I do something like that, do it with confidence and style, and it'll be fine...Plus, I'm 60 and I came of age in the 60's so it warms my rebellious little heart! :D You can check sites like FootSmart and Zappos - they have orthotic dress shoes. I found that those ballerina flats are like walking barefoot on concrete for me.

I had surgery on both feet for plantar fasciitis 5 years ago. I am mostly pain-free now, but I definitely don't wear heels. I found a pair of metallic gold Born sandals with a very slight wedge that are perfect for formal nights. I tried wearing 2 inch heels to formal night on my first cruise and was unable to walk around the promenade deck in them--went right back to the cabin and changed! I was wearing a long skirt, so my shoes didn't show and I figure nobody's really looking at my shoes anyway. And if they are, who cares? I'll never see these people again anyway and I'd rather enjoy myself on this fabulous vacation in comfortable shoes than be miserable in painful shoes. I have found some ballet flats that have enough support to be comfortable. Try Clark's or Aerosoles.

Especially for cruising with huge ships and lots of walking just to get from room to DR feet must rule or the feet will make you miserable. I just consider that fashion stops at the feet. I do the best I can then I don't let it worry me. My foot problems were severe enough for surgery before 2 and in elementary school I still had to go to clinic. Seeing children in high tops with big braces and casts and even worst the ones who could not wear shoes gave me an understanding early that you do what you have to do and be grateful for the Blessings you have.

That being said I still love beautiful shoes. I have had fairly decent luck with Sketchers cross-t strap in black leather and velvet -- they let my orthodics lie flat and can be tightened over the in-step. Pewter sandals from SAS are my "most normal" looking dress shoe --getting black ones also. Merrill slip-ons are oK with pants.

I have learned by the pain that looking good for a few hours is just not worth several months of getting over planter facitis and having arthritis flares. Instead I try to work on my self worth enough to know that it is what is in the heart and not what is on the feet that will make people notice and respect you. Those who would think badly of you because of footware are not worthy of my worry.

Me thinks that a man on a "shoe" thread is somewhat of an oxymoron. Men know from nothing about shoes - as your post stated:D. If it covers your foot, keeps you from stepping on sharp objects, and enables you to kick the occasional rock, then you are good to go.

If my shoes hurt, I send them to the Goodwill. I've had enough of the bad shoes and won't tolerate them anymore!

Lately I have been picking up the following brands for comfort: Merrell, Eastland, Columbia, and Ecco. If it's not real leather, it's not going to make the cut. I also have to wear orthotics in my shoes now, so I take that into consideration when choosing shoes. :cool:

Archived