People that don't cruise or keep up with cruise boards are so funny.....

Christine in MO

ok i just read for 11 hours this great thread about weird or funny things happening on your cruise 65 pages, lol it started in 2004 , you guys need to read them and share yours there and vice versa,

i read these lists daily and i respond to posts so i can learn and thank people for the help and info.

i would be heart broken if the first time in my life i could "splurge" on room service... i didnt . so thanks to every on cc

As I was reading some of these to DH he said that when he told people that we are going on two cruises very close to each other...One in Dec and one in Jan they asked him how he could afford such extravagant vacations. Little do they know that we are paying the same or less (including travel insurance) than we do for a land vacation (that does not include any kind of travel insurance).

Of course before I started to cruise and read up on it and look at prices I really didn't realize how truly affordable a cruise can be!

On our first cruise we had a great travel agent who told us all about what was included in the price of the cruise. I kind of feel bad for people that don't know that. If you book directly with Carnival do they tell you that information or is it in the written literature? I would hope so.

So yours is ducktatorship?

TeeHee ! Good one !

I'm actually concerned that I am over-researching this time around. I have had such good blond cruises in the past, when I packed and sailed without ever reading a cruise critic forum or knowing what I was getting into. Only once did I panic. I thought the ship had run aground in the middle of the night (the stabilizer broke and they reversed their thrusters or whatever). if I had been a seasoned cruiser, I would have rolled over and gone back to sleep. Instead, I got dressed, safely packed my passport and cash into a plastic pouch and went looking for my muster station. I was the only one there...everyone else was asleep. Kinda funny now.

On our first cruise we had a great travel agent who told us all about what was included in the price of the cruise. I kind of feel bad for people that don't know that. If you book directly with Carnival do they tell you that information or is it in the written literature? I would hope so.

On our first cruise our travel agent told us that the meals were free when reserving our dining time (there was no anytime/mytime then). We understood that this meant breakfast/lunch/dinner. We didn't know all the details until we tried to pay for a snack....

Luckily for me when I cruised as an adult first time, the girl who's wedding we were attending told me it al all inclusive....she didn't know about the offee bar though. So after having to pay for coffee I realized that coffee was free on the Lido 24/7. I thought at first that I had to pay for coffee! I have been asked about fishing from the ship(?) And I am often told that people prefer land vacations because they can stay in the same place all day(?) I think it takes just one cruise, to get hooked!

I confess that I love Fire. "Some guy married my sister very suddenly...." That is very funny.

The neat thing is that that line could be used by any comedian to lead into any family story no matter how outrageous!

Keep going, Fire!

Dont even get me started on this. Some guy married my sister very suddenly who is booked ES with me on multiple cruises.

My heart goes out to you....some people have no regard for anyone other than themselves. He does not have to go. What's wrong with your sister going without him..I'm sorry I'm sorry I over stepped my boundaries. I'm just saying, he should "allow" your sister to go without him.

I'm using the term allow very very loosely

I dont think I mentioned the really funny part. He tried to get me to cancel, so he would not have to say no. He had my sister whisper to me that he slept in the nude. scary thought indeed. Im thinking tmi, and he can throw on some shorts .. lets do it... but nope. he doesnt know me and cruising if he thinks that would be enough to get me to say no.

A friend told me I should pay them not to go. I thought that was funny.

My PVP was too overwhelmed yesterday with Splendor .. so I still havent had a chance to talk to her about what we can do. Final payment is Nov 23rd.

When we took our last cruise I was asked if the airfare was high from Amarillo to the port. I said we didn't need to fly. We sail out of Port Amarillo. Their response..."Oh I have been their!"

Are you kidding LOL

My boss booked a cruise for a family reunion this past summer. I asked her what ship she was gonig to be on and she said, "The one you always use, the Carnival one". I asked her if she realized there were hundreds of ships out there, and Carnival has a lot of ships, not just one. Glazed look. As it got closer to cruise time, I kept asking her if she had any questions, she said no. Day of embark, she calls me from her cell phone and says "Why are we the only ones in line with luggage?" I asked her where she was, and her entire family was in line for S&S with all of their luggage. I sent her outside and explained the process. She calls me again later to complain that they took all her BOTTLES of Miller Lite in her luggage, I looked at the clock and said ."Wow, you got luggage fast, what time is your muster drill?" She said, "Now, we're hiding in the cabin". Seriously????????? At what point do you think she was going to learn that she needed to start paying attention????

I have to say, were I recently married, I probably wouldn't want to share the room with anyone else, especially were it my first cruise. That said, I'd send the wife out and surprise her when she got back with a cruise just for the two of us. Why put you between a rock and a hard place and cost her a cruise?

On a similar topic, I have a pair of friends my BF and I shared a cabin with early in our relationship. Perhaps when we're boring we'll try it again, but we don't plan on sharing a cabin with anyone else again - continually having to ask them to please hang out at the bar for the next couple hours was embarrassing!

I dont think I mentioned the really funny part. He tried to get me to cancel, so he would not have to say no. He had my sister whisper to me that he slept in the nude. scary thought indeed. Im thinking tmi, and he can throw on some shorts .. lets do it... but nope. he doesnt know me and cruising if he thinks that would be enough to get me to say no.

A friend told me I should pay them not to go. I thought that was funny.

My PVP was too overwhelmed yesterday with Splendor .. so I still havent had a chance to talk to her about what we can do. Final payment is Nov 23rd.

It's funny you posted this. I spend an hour explaining to my daughter's father why I could not add her cousin to our room. I'm going on a cruise in March and I allowed my daughter to invite one person. She chose a buddy, the parent gave me the airfare and that was that. Well last night she asked if her cousin could go too. I said unfortunately not b/c we only have a triple room and I we can't change without paying a penalty.

Her father called back all upset saying I was being mean for not letting her take a relative from his side of the family on and on. I explained it's not as simple as her bringing a sleeping bag sharing our room. We have a triple. Carnival will charge me $50 per person to change to a quad room. He said well they are willing to share a bed. I again said cruises don't work like that. I explained the different cabins and everything. He told me I could let her use the sleeping bag and I'm being unreasonable. He also reminded me that he's the one with the PhD.:mad:

I really did try to explain how cruises work but he was not getting it. He thinks it's like a hotel room. I finally gave up and ended the call. It's sad b/c our 15 year old daughter understood but her 36 year old father didn't.:confused:

I have an ES booked and wanted to add my mother. As long as I was upgrading to a larger room there was no penalty at all.

My boss booked a cruise for a family reunion this past summer. I asked her what ship she was gonig to be on and she said, "The one you always use, the Carnival one". I asked her if she realized there were hundreds of ships out there, and Carnival has a lot of ships, not just one. Glazed look. As it got closer to cruise time, I kept asking her if she had any questions, she said no. Day of embark, she calls me from her cell phone and says "Why are we the only ones in line with luggage?" I asked her where she was, and her entire family was in line for S&S with all of their luggage. I sent her outside and explained the process. She calls me again later to complain that they took all her BOTTLES of Miller Lite in her luggage, I looked at the clock and said ."Wow, you got luggage fast, what time is your muster drill?" She said, "Now, we're hiding in the cabin". Seriously????????? At what point do you think she was going to learn that she needed to start paying attention????

I hope she is a better boss then she is a cruiser. (Somehow I doubt it)

On our second cruise we had frequent conversations with our neighbors (aft balcony) who were on their first cruise. The last evening they showed up at our dining table. We were surprised to see them and asked why they hadn't come earlier. "We didn't know the dining room was free - we thought we could only eat at the buffet." As a result they missed the dining room, deli, pizza and burgers, and other food options.

I am a research fanatic when it comes to preparing for vacations, and love cruise critic. The research keeps me from being one of the stories in this thread. I'm not blond, but I do have a PhD. Having said that, I feel sorry for blond PhDs.

Prior to leaving for my Elation cruise I was continually on these boards & checking prices at Carnivals web-site for possible price reductions when a co-worker said he didn't really understand why cruises even operated in the winter months and he thought it would be more beneficial for them to only cruise in the spring/summer months!!!! For some reason he was under the impression that cruises during the school year sail at 1/2 capacity. Little did he know that nearly every cruise is sold out upon sailing!!!!

And today at the gas station me & 2 of the employess were talking about the Splendor situation and how long it would actually be out of commission for up-coming cruises and 1 of the girls said well I don't understand why they don't just use another one of their ships for the future cruises that will be cancelled. Do non-cruisers really beleive that cruise companies just have a few extra ships sitting around and not in use?

It's just funny that people in "the cruise world" don't really "get it".

To be honest, I was just as uninformed about the workings of cruise ships and cruises until I started cruising and then joined Cruise Critic. So I have to admit that I probably sounded just as funny or dumb as your friends and co-worker does.

But isn't it nice that we now have the knowledge to educate these people and hopefully give them enough information so one day they too will want to cruise with us.

And today at the gas station me & 2 of the employess were talking about the Splendor situation and how long it would actually be out of commission for up-coming cruises and 1 of the girls said well I don't understand why they don't just use another one of their ships for the future cruises that will be cancelled. Do non-cruisers really beleive that cruise companies just have a few extra ships sitting around and not in use?

I work with 2 sisters who are booked on the Splendor but not till August. they have both cruised before so they "should" know how things work. Last week were were talking about the Splendor incident and how future cruises were probably canceled. One of the sister's says, "Wouldn't they just send another ship?" :eek:

Yep. I used to work for the airlines, same there. Even airline passengers think airlines have a backyard with empty planes sitting there. "Oh, the plane is broken. Well, just get us another one"

My father was an airline pilot so I know how things work too. Once we had just boarded a flight when one of the pilots was called away on a family emergency (something about his daughter having an accident). We were told we'd have to wait a while for another pilot. I couldn't believe how many people were outraged that we would have to wait. I guess they also thought that they had extra pilots just sitting around the airport. As it turned out we were only delayed about an hour which I though was pretty reasonable. Back in the day when my dad was still working I remember that when he was "on call" he didn't have to be at the airport but he did have to be close enough that he could get there within a certain amount of time if called. For us that meant he could be at home because we lived about 30 minutes from the airport.

We almost made a catastrophic mistake on our first cruise. I was with a group of four and none of us had ever set foot on a cruise ship. We saw on our documents that 4pm was sailaway but we all just thought that meant that "check in" BEGAN at 4pm. We almost missed the ship. Last one's onboard. :eek:

To be honest, I was just as uninformed about the workings of cruise ships and cruises until I started cruising and then joined Cruise Critic. So I have to admit that I probably sounded just as funny or dumb as your friends and co-worker does.

Weren't we all. Lest we forget.

This isn't a story on others but on myself.

Before my first cruise back in January, I remember thinking that everyone on the ship would look like the people in cruise advertisements.

It never dawned on me that--just like in *real* life--there would be people of all shapes and sizes. :D

Not any funnier than the educated cruisers who ....KNOW EVERYTING....and rant and rave about it as if their ...experience...opinion...knowledge is the only thing.

Tell me about this one!

We just got off the Liberty this past Saturday 11-20-2010 and the first night we were seated with a couple in their 60's who stated repeatedly that they were on their 39th cruise, the 9th this year alone and bragged incessantly about their "perks." Such as the chef preparing them sliced potatoes and onions (on one plate) at breakfast. We were assured that there was an email asserting that they were to receive this dish upon request.

When they asked if we had cruised before, we stated that we had, most recently on the Valor and since the Liberty is in the same class, we knew our way around the ship fairly easily.

That is when we were informed by the "know-it-all" that the Liberty is 30 feet longer than the Valor and that I was wrong.

Well, I looked into this and according to the Carnival website, all of the Conquest class ships are 952 feet long. Including the Liberty. So while I may not have cruised 39 times and have no intention of ever taking more than 1 or 2 cruises in a 12 month period, I do get a kick out of those who lord themselves over others.

Funny enough, we avoided this pair as much as possible for the rest of the cruise and even overheard another couple about to be seated with them balk and insist they be seated elsewhere.

she isn't. SHe is Jekyll and Hyde, every day is a roller coaster, and not a fun one.

Been there, done that.

The day my boss announced she was leaving the company I cried because I was convinced it was a cruel joke she was playing on me to get my hopes up and dash them. But nooooooo--it was true:D:D:D.

This too shall pass.;)

Archived