Diamond Princess - 19 November - Air quality bad in Beijing

CPOCMAN

Wife and I are awaiting the boarding of our cruise on Diamond tomorrow in Beijing. We arrived last night to what we thought was fog. We stepped out of the airplane and smelled something burning - like a forest fire. Outside of the airport it was worse - almost like a dense fog. Checked with the hotel and they told me that it was straw burning that goes on this time of year - illegal since 2000 but still goes on. Researched this morning - air quality index is 409 in Beijing. Anything over 100 is bad - anything over 300 is dangerous. Luckily, wife and I have no breathing problems but anyone who does, should be aware of the air quality here as smoke is EVERYWHERE - even the smell was in our hotel room - not near as bad as the hallways and worse in the main lobby areas.

We're anxiously awaiting for tomorrow. I will take notes and send a review of the entire cruise from boarding the airplane to our return when I get back.

We were in Beijing in Mar 01, off Regal Princess, and air quaility there then was also awful.

Big sand storm out in the Gobi Desert blew grit and sand into Beijing, and everything was coated with a fine layer of grit.

During the Beijing Olympics, the Chinese government heavily restricted cars in the city prior to and during the games because of the smog. It didn't help too much if you remember the coverage... :rolleyes:
Not only that, they closed all factories and businesses for the duration. I was there three years ago and they were cleaning it up but it was still pretty bad.

Have a great cruise on the Diamond and don't forget to post what's new on the ship. :)

It is surprising if you are not expecting it and yes, for asthma,etc. it can be a problem.

But, this is nothing new......they seed for rain to help clear the skies, especially before the Olympics. In 2007 we traveled in China for 3 weeks, some days were beautiful blue sky others the ugly orange sun. In Shanghai many people wear masks when riding bikes in traffic.

Wife and I are awaiting the boarding of our cruise on Diamond tomorrow in Beijing. We arrived last night to what we thought was fog. We stepped out of the airplane and smelled something burning - like a forest fire. Outside of the airport it was worse - almost like a dense fog. Checked with the hotel and they told me that it was straw burning that goes on this time of year - illegal since 2000 but still goes on. Researched this morning - air quality index is 409 in Beijing. Anything over 100 is bad - anything over 300 is dangerous. Luckily, wife and I have no breathing problems but anyone who does, should be aware of the air quality here as smoke is EVERYWHERE - even the smell was in our hotel room - not near as bad as the hallways and worse in the main lobby areas.

We're anxiously awaiting for tomorrow. I will take notes and send a review of the entire cruise from boarding the airplane to our return when I get back.

Air quality is bad all over China.

They burn garbage too, and I am almost willing to bet they were burning garbage and not straw.

Fact. I am not 'insulting' China, I currently live in China, and I can see them burning garbage (and smell it) from one of my classroom windows.

Unfortunately I do have asthma, which has gotten slightly worse since moving here, but is still well under control.

I won't even start talking about the exhaust fumes from vehicles.

That being said, there are some beautiful areas and things to see, some delicious food and I am looking forward to my cruise that departs from Shanghai in Jan.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise!

Visited Beijing for 5 days in late April this year and there was no smog, although there were strong (and very cold) westerly winds. Had beautiful blue sky days though so enduring the cold weather was well worth it :D

Modernization and wealth always have their initial downsides. We saw this in Europe, then USA and then 3 tigers of the east, and now its China.

But China is also most unique in their system and for better or worst when they put their mind to it can make progress like no other country in the world. The changes in the last 10 years have been astonishing and the next 10 will be even more as everything is almost made there these days.

In 2008 we visited and couldn't even see the Olympic stadium from the road that was likely no more then a 1/4 - 1/2 mile away, and we were breathing that stuff? Didn't even bother taking many pictures as it would all be haze!

There is an interesting article in the WSJ weekend edition today.

We did the Oct 4 sailing on the Diamond out of Beijing and spent 5 days in Beijing prior to the cruise. The air quality was pretty dreadful while we were there, but one morning we woke up to find it had rained overnight and the skies were clear, blue and absolutely gorgeous.... It was such a pleasure to spend that day exploring under such beautiful skies and showed what it COULD be like...

I'd like to know how the Diamond is after the refit... We got off in Singapore right as the ship went into dry dock. Did they ever change the bedding and mattresses?? Did they update the gym equipment as promised??

We disembarked the Diamond Princess on Friday, Nov. 19. Our transfer was scheduled to depart the pier at 9am but due to fog and smog, was delayed about 1.5 hours. There was a miles long pile-up of cars and trucks on the way out to the port. I'm wondering if the ship was able to sail on time? There did not seem to be any emergency vehicles aiding those who had crashed. What a mess. Our bus driver was avoiding crashes on our side of the freeway by driving the wrong way into trafic on the other side - exciting!

We also disembarked the Diamond Princess on November 19th and sat on the Princess Transfer bus to the airport for 10 hours. The haze/mist/fog/smog (whichever you prefer) shut down the highways and caused a 20 truck pileup on one of the freeways. It was a real nightmare with no bathroom facilities or water on the bus. We were fortunate that we only had to rebook a flight to Shanghai rather than to the US or one of the European countries like most on our bus.

The Diamond looks very nice. New carpets and upholstery are evident in the public areas. They continue to work on varnishing everything in sight as they sail. The gym appeared to have new equipment although it was always too busy to get a treadmill when we were there. I didn't care for the gliding machines they got to replace the elliptical machines, but others may favor them. We were in a mini-suite and the mattress and bedding did not appear to be new but were in good condition. We've been living in Shanghai for months now, so even a firm Princess mattress feels good compared to what we have here!

The new additions were MUTS and The Sanctuary. We didn't use either, but they looked very nice. No International Cafe in the atrium area. The captain is Bob Oliver. Cruise director was Warren Smith from South Africa.

Overall a nice trip on a lovely ship.

During the Beijing Olympics, the Chinese government heavily restricted cars in the city prior to and during the games because of the smog. It didn't help too much if you remember the coverage... :rolleyes:

We were in Beijing for 3 days in 2008 (post-Olympics) prior to boarding the Diamond and the air was clear. No problems whatsoever.

I got off the Diamond last Friday when i woke up on the morning, I thought the ship was on fire. the air quality was so bad i have never experienced any thing like it.

We got off the ship to go to the Great wall in smoke it took us eight hours for a 3 hour drive with multiple road crashes on the way. If you have any breathing problems you will not enjoy your stay in Beijing. ps had a great cruise

Did Warren Smith and his staff do a good job with onboard activities?

There an interesting Asian history and cultural lecturer and a travel guide that did port lectures. They were good. Not many other activities that interested us. They had the usual art auctions, bingo and wine tastings where you could spend your money; also some of the typical cruise games and food and ice carving demonstrations.

A couple of nights there were movies playing in the Princess Theater. (I've never seen that before) There were some very long port days, so we just assumed they didn't expect large audiences on those nights. The production shows were good. Other nights, we felt that the entertainment was pretty poor compared to previous trips. I'm sure others will disagree. We didn't see much of Warren other than at the evening shows.

Archived