Help! Arizona Memorial/ Mighty Mo or

Enjoying every moment

I would do and see as much as possible up to what you feel comfortable spending. The Arizona Memorial is extremely touching and special. The history behind what happened on that faithful day is amazing. The Mighty Mo tour is well worth your time as well.

I was lucky enough a few years ago to play golf at Hickam AFB with an Air Force friend, and was awed at the fact that the concrete buildings on the base en route to the golf course were never repaired from the gunfire they received. Fresh paint, but the memory lives forever.

Do as much as you can and enjoy your day.

I need recommendation for Princess tour Arizona Memorial, Military Bases and Private Museum, 7 hours for $149 or USS Arizona & Mighty Mo, 6 hours for $79. Thanks for your help!

We've made our plans for the 30th to tour the USS Arizona Memorial & the USS Missouri independently while on the Golden. I called the Missouri info center yesterday & here are the links for both so you can view it yourself.

http://ussmissouri.com/visitor-information/admission-and-tours

http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm

It was suggested to take a cab directly to the USS Arizona Memorial (according to CC members about a $28 cab ride) as soon as exiting your ship to get there early for the first come, first served free tickets to the Memorial.

They said that you can also purchase USS Missouri tour tickets at the Arizona Memorial ($20 admission with choice of tour type; $45 for a behind the scenes Battle Stations Tour) or next door at the USS Missouri ticket office. They suggested reserving a time for the Battle Stations Tour which is limited & from the Golden's shore excursions had already reserved 200 spots.

We're planning to take The Bus back to the ship which takes about 30 minutes & cost $2.50 (exact change).

Hope this is helpful so you can compare the shipboard excursions with what you want to do on O'ahu. Hopefully you'll have a very meaningful experience touring the WWII historical sites. I'll never forget my 1st view of O'ahu at sunise from the deck of the aircraft carrier USS Midway sailing around Ford Island...an amazing experience!

The last time to the Arizona Memorial I purchased an American flag from the gift shop with a certificate showing that it was flown over the USS Arizona on the 61st anniversary of it's sinking...a momento that I will cherish forever.

I need recommendation for Princess tour Arizona Memorial, Military Bases and Private Museum, 7 hours for $149 or USS Arizona & Mighty Mo, 6 hours for $79. Thanks for your help!
If the first tour is what I think it is, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'd love to go to what's essentially a tour of what happened December 7, 1941. If that's not the one, I'd do the Arizona Memorial. I've been there several times and still get emotional. It's incredible that you can still see the little bubbles of oil coming up.

I have an amazing picture of the oil drop forming a "sheen" on the perfectly still water at the USS Arizona!!!!! I would not miss visiting the USS Arizona for any amount of money. We have done the "Home of the Brave" tour which visits the USS Arizona and then goes to Wheeler Army Airfield, Schofield Barracks, and then Ft. Shafter, and it is certainly wonderful and relives 12-07-41 in an amazing manner.

Since we visit Honolulu every year, we have also visited the USS Missouri twice, and it just doesn't "pack the punch" with me that the USS Arizona does.

Whatever you do, I am sure that you will be deeply touched visiting these monuments to turning points in our history.

We are planning on visiting the AZ Memorial, the Missouri and the Bowfin submarine on our own a couple of days pre-cruise in May. DH wants to do the bhind the scene tour on the Missouri. does anyone know how long that tour is and do we have to book it in advance? Also, how much time should we allow to see all three? My DH would spend all day at each if I allowed him to, but we have a few other places to visit that day, so I will have to keep moving him along......;)

We are planning on visiting the AZ Memorial, the Missouri and the Bowfin submarine on our own a couple of days pre-cruise in May. DH wants to do the bhind the scene tour on the Missouri. does anyone know how long that tour is and do we have to book it in advance? Also, how much time should we allow to see all three? My DH would spend all day at each if I allowed him to, but we have a few other places to visit that day, so I will have to keep moving him along......;)

You need to define the "behind the scenes" tour. They have 3 or 4 tours. The Battle Stations Tour is the to top of the line tour, is $45pp, and takes you deep into the ship. It also gets you free range to wonder any other public areas of the ship, join or do any other tour, and see just about all there is to see. This tour takes 90-120 minutes (scheduled for 90, ours went just short of 2 hours), depending on the energy put into it by the guide, who are very entertaining and informative. We just did it 10 days ago, and it was wonderful. Be aware, if mobility is a problem, this may not be the tour for you.

Given that tour, I would allow at least 3 hours for the ship. We booked ours about 2 weeks in advance via the internet. We could have probably booked it at the gate, as we had only 6 in our group, it was a private tour! But if you know the time you will be there, you can book in advance.

You need to define the "behind the scenes" tour. They have 3 or 4 tours. The Battle Stations Tour is the to top of the line tour, is $45pp, and takes you deep into the ship. It also gets you free range to wonder any other public areas of the ship, join or do any other tour, and see just about all there is to see. This tour takes 90-120 minutes (scheduled for 90, ours went just short of 2 hours), depending on the energy put into it by the guide, who are very entertaining and informative. We just did it 10 days ago, and it was wonderful. Be aware, if mobility is a problem, this may not be the tour for you.

Given that tour, I would allow at least 3 hours for the ship. We booked ours about 2 weeks in advance via the internet. We could have probably booked it at the gate, as we had only 6 in our group, it was a private tour! But if you know the time you will be there, you can book in advance.

Thanks! yes, Steve wants to do the entire tour, but what do you mean about mobility problems? I have difficulty with some stairs and could not do a ladder. I am also concerned about the Bowfin Submarine on this point.

In post #3 of this thread there are some links & more info that might be helpful...hope so...have a great experience.

Thanks! yes, Steve wants to do the entire tour, but what do you mean about mobility problems? I have difficulty with some stairs and could not do a ladder. I am also concerned about the Bowfin Submarine on this point.

Stairs on a warship are steep, sometimes very steep. In fact, Navy people call them "ladders". They are stairs, but they can be very steep. None will be like stairs at home. The problem will be just as bad, perhaps worse, on the Bowfin.

On the Missouri, there is a selection of tours, including at least one self guided tour. These tend to have much fewer stairs to climb, as they seem limited to at most two decks. But on the Battle Stations tour we climbed and descended many many stairs. In total, we went 3 decks above and 4 decks below the main deck. But that understates how much we climbed and descended stairs.

Stairs on a warship are steep, sometimes very steep. In fact, Navy people call them "ladders". They are stairs, but they can be very steep. None will be like stairs at home. The problem will be just as bad, perhaps worse, on the Bowfin.

On the Missouri, there is a selection of tours, including at least one self guided tour. These tend to have much fewer stairs to climb, as they seem limited to at most two decks. But on the Battle Stations tour we climbed and descended many many stairs. In total, we went 3 decks above and 4 decks below the main deck. But that understates how much we climbed and descended stairs.

Good to know. We may have to rethink which tour we take. When we went on the aircraft carrier in San Diego we went on many decks, but there were elevators for the very high decks and I stayed behind and waited when Steve went to a few of the other decks with the "ladder-type" stairs only. However, that was self guided and not an expensive guided tour.

Good to know. We may have to rethink which tour we take. When we went on the aircraft carrier in San Diego we went on many decks, but there were elevators for the very high decks and I stayed behind and waited when Steve went to a few of the other decks with the "ladder-type" stairs only. However, that was self guided and not an expensive guided tour.

I have been on the Midway (San Diego carrier). The stairs there are similar in some cases to Missouri. However, there are some steeper ones. The only elevators I remember for Midway were to get on the ship, and between the hangor deck and the flight deck. The only elevator for Missouri is to get on the ship. There certainly isn't any room to add one now!

I have been on the Midway (San Diego carrier). The stairs there are similar in some cases to Missouri. However, there are some steeper ones. The only elevators I remember for Midway were to get on the ship, and between the hangor deck and the flight deck. The only elevator for Missouri is to get on the ship. There certainly isn't any room to add one now!

I do remember taking some stairs on the Midway, but they weren't bad. My DH took the really steep stairs down from the Hanger dick to the engine room and I just waited for him. Same thing from the flight deck to the con. I could do the other stairs ok, but not more than one flight at a time. Those elevators we took to the flight deck were much appreciated!

I have been on aircraft carriers, destroyers, submarines, and the USS Missouri (battleship). There are lots of "stairs" (ladders) even on the self-guided tour. Have never done the Bowfin, since neither of us are enthusiasts of submarines!!!! Whatever you do, there is lots of ups and downs. Some of it was easy when we were younger, but not sure we would even do the USS Missouri now!

Whatever you decide ENJOY!

We are planning on visiting the AZ Memorial, the Missouri and the Bowfin submarine on our own a couple of days pre-cruise in May. DH wants to do the bhind the scene tour on the Missouri. does anyone know how long that tour is and do we have to book it in advance? Also, how much time should we allow to see all three?

We were on the 8:15 USS Arizona ferry and then visited the USS Bowfin and USS Missouri but had to rush it to get back to the hotel in Waikiki to checkout before boarding the Pride of America. I'd say about 5 hours at least for all three. FYI you have to take a shuttle bus to the USS Missouri.

Also, on the Bowfin you have to step through watertight hatches from one section to another. They are rather high.

551336671_Bofwinhatch.jpg.f378d095fcda2d37c5c1986487e3b4aa.jpg

25702272_Bofwinladder.jpg.74a738ee79917aff702e35cc32c32317.jpg

We were on the 8:15 USS Arizona ferry and then visited the USS Bowfin and USS Missouri but had to rush it to get back to the hotel in Waikiki to checkout before boarding the Pride of America. I'd say about 5 hours at least for all three. FYI you have to take a shuttle bus to the USS Missouri.

Also, on the Bowfin you have to step through watertight hatches from one section to another. They are rather high.

[ATTACH]176009[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]176010[/ATTACH]

Thank you for all of your help and information. Your pictures say a thousand words! I am going to have to carefully consider if we will be able to all do this. We will also have my 81 yo mother with us. She is very physically fit, but I want to be realistic here.

Regarding the Missouri, if you don't want to do the whole tour thing on the ship, just walking around on deck, the views, the feeling of being where history was, is a great feeling. You can stand by the huge guns, where the Japanese signed their surrender and several other great things.

We have a friend who was on the Missouri when the Japanese surrendered, one of only 7 still living from that crew, and we called him when we were on deck. He was thrilled.

Here are a few pix to show you what you may experience on the decks of the Missouri

Going onto the Missouri

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00130.jpg

The big guns looking out towards the Arizona Memorial

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00142.jpg

Spot where the Japanese surrendered

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00137.jpg

Wandering around the deck, playing with all sorts of weapons

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00134.jpg

And to really see how big those guns are

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00153.jpg

Cheers

Len