Breakfast suggestions near Hotel Jazz

HazeGray

We were just at Jazz this past May and loved it, so enjoy. I doubt my answer is what you are asking because I suspect you may wish to sample more of the culture. Neither my niece nor I are large breakfast eaters and while away at college she is used to a Starbucks on every corner so she was thrilled to see one very nearby. We'd walk over and sit at one of their outside tables with our Cafe Americanos and a muffin or croissant and people watch till we were ready to head out for the day. We don't like anything heavy or greasy first thing in the morning so this worked out great.

There is a small restaurant almost right across the street on the corner opposite the Hotel Inglaterra. We ate there twice. They have little breakfast sandwiches that were pretty good. There is a Starbucks a block or two as you head toward Placa de Catalunya on the same side of the street as Hotel Jazz. There is also a Starbucks on the far side of Univeristat plaza. Another option would be to go to La Ramblas, there are many places to eat there but if I went there I would go to the market and grab something.

Kirk

The Boqueria food market is nearby . There are several counters where you can have breakfast. It can be the typical Barcelona coffee/hot chocolate and a pastry or something more substantial like a tortilla, which here is like an omelet with fresh mushrooms etc.

The locals just have the coffee and pastry early in the AM and then they eat what we would call a "real breakfast" at about 10 or 11AM.

We were just at Jazz this past May and loved it, so enjoy. I doubt my answer is what you are asking because I suspect you may wish to sample more of the culture. Neither my niece nor I are large breakfast eaters and while away at college she is used to a Starbucks on every corner so she was thrilled to see one very nearby. We'd walk over and sit at one of their outside tables with our Cafe Americanos and a muffin or croissant and people watch till we were ready to head out for the day. We don't like anything heavy or greasy first thing in the morning so this worked out great.

Can you tell me what the weather was like in May in Barcelona? We are going next May and I'm trying to figure out how chilly or warm it might be.

Can you tell me what the weather was like in May in Barcelona? We are going next May and I'm trying to figure out how chilly or warm it might be.

We were in Barcelona the last week of May this past year. Absolutely fantastic weather. Mid 70s to low 80s each day, no rain, lots of sunshine and warm - never really hot. As a point of reference we sailed on to Italy, Greece and Turkey from there. Spain was perfect weather, got a little warmer in Italy but pretty hot in Greece and Turkey the second week of June.

Take one or two light jackets with you - just in case. In our case, it came in handy two places. Never needed during the day while out in the port. But on our trip home to the states we stopped in London a few days and it was cloudy and chilly. Our Princess ship (Ruby) had Movie Under the Stars on the big screen on the open top deck and no matter how warm/hot during the day, at night when the ship was moving, it was dark, the wind whipped thru the open deck and it got downright cold. They provided warm blankets and pillows and served hot coffee and we still froze. People would be out there each night with coats, blankets pulled up over them - kinda funny looking in June - I will admit, I am a wimp and could only tolerate two such movies the whole cruise. HTH

We were in Barcelona the last week of May this past year. Absolutely fantastic weather. Mid 70s to low 80s each day, no rain, lots of sunshine and warm - never really hot. As a point of reference we sailed on to Italy, Greece and Turkey from there. Spain was perfect weather, got a little warmer in Italy but pretty hot in Greece and Turkey the second week of June.

Take one or two light jackets with you - just in case. In our case, it came in handy two places. Never needed during the day while out in the port. But on our trip home to the states we stopped in London a few days and it was cloudy and chilly. Our Princess ship (Ruby) had Movie Under the Stars on the big screen on the open top deck and no matter how warm/hot during the day, at night when the ship was moving, it was dark, the wind whipped thru the open deck and it got downright cold. They provided warm blankets and pillows and served hot coffee and we still froze. People would be out there each night with coats, blankets pulled up over them - kinda funny looking in June - I will admit, I am a wimp and could only tolerate two such movies the whole cruise. HTH

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I took a light jacket last time (flannel lined windbreaker) and it was perfect for the days we went to Mt. Etna, but that was in September. Wasn't sure about May, though, and thought it might be a lot cooler. This helps me plan.

There is a small restaurant almost right across the street on the corner opposite the Hotel Inglaterra. We ate there twice. They have little breakfast sandwiches that were pretty good.
Was it Cafe Viena? http://www.viena.es/en/establiments/rambles.html

We stayed at Hotel Jazz & stumbled upon Cafe Viena directly across the street next to Inglaterra. It had a funky exterior with life-sized figures adorning the storefront. The interior was lovely with old-fashioned seating & lighting. It wasn't busy with tourists, but a few locals were hanging about. There was a review by Mark Bittman of the NY Times posted on the exterior door, noting that he had the best sandwich of his life at Cafe Viena. Now mind you, the review was dated Oct/06. ;);)

Nevertheless, we had an enjoyable breakfast of coffee, hot chocolate (yummy), fresh juice & panini-styled jambon sandwich. Nothing particularly memorable, but it did the trick for a convenient quick bite.

Was it Cafe Viena? http://www.viena.es/en/establiments/rambles.html

We stayed at Hotel Jazz & stumbled upon Cafe Viena directly across the street next to Inglaterra. It had a funky exterior with life-sized figures adorning the storefront. The interior was lovely with old-fashioned seating & lighting. It wasn't busy with tourists, but a few locals were hanging about. There was a review by Mark Bittman of the NY Times posted on the exterior door, noting that he had the best sandwich of his life at Cafe Viena. Now mind you, the review was dated Oct/06. ;);)

Nevertheless, we had an enjoyable breakfast of coffee, hot chocolate (yummy), fresh juice & panini-styled jambon sandwich. Nothing particularly memorable, but it did the trick for a convenient quick bite.

That is it, we found the sandwiches to be pretty good! Also if you go down the street between Hotel Inglaterra and the cafe about 1/2 block is a small grocery store that had good supplies for our short stay.

Kirk

Archived