No birthcerticate and No passport. Leaving in 20 days!!!

Goplayball

Being Canadian I am really dense on this Vitalchek (?) where you can go on line to order a birth certificate. What kind of information do they require in order to issue it. Without knowing anything on how this is done it seems to me that someone can go on line and order a birth certificate on someone else and then from there because they have the BC they could order SSN and then a DL and then a passport (sort of an ID theft) - or are there all sorts of catch and balances and personal information that only you would know required. Just curious about this.

i dont need one but just curios.my father was in the airforce and i was born on a airforce base in korea.how would i get a birth cert..:confused:my original looks pretty bad and the embossed stamp is barely there,was worried they wont accept it.

I have read posts many times from people born abroad on US military bases, and they say they had to get a BC from the Dept. of State.

Here is a link with info. about US citizens born abroad. If it isn't helpful, then you would probably need to go to the military to get help.

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_5051.html

Do they let ypu on with a BC anymore? I thought you have to have passport now. i think your in deep doo doo.

I asked this same question to Carnival last week. They told me that for closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port), all you need is a Government issued I.D. (like a Driver's License) and a certified copy of your birth certificate. Here is a link to Carnivals policies:

What is the required travel documentation for all ports?

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-544391

You can get a passport from the post office 1 one day, but you have to wait there for a couple of hours, it's a temporary one, just valid for 1 year.

My sister was in the same situation and she got her (American) passport in 1 day because she was traveling the next day.

You still need a BC.

I guess there is a good thing about being in a backwards southern city.

I was able to go to the health dept, drop a quarter in a parking meter go inside and walk out

in 15 minutes with a certified BC for both me and my son.

I think they were $10 each.

You still need a BC.

I was able to go to the health dept, drop a quarter in a parking meter go inside and walk out

Same way here! :) But we don't even have to pay for parking at our Health department. ;)

DJ

your fiance will need it to get a Marriage Cert. so do whatever you need to get it now

Why?

The OP is a female, the person without the BC is a male. Is he changing his name?

OP may need a marriage certificate unless she was smart and booked travel in whatever name is on her passport or BC and DL.

Being Canadian I am really dense on this Vitalchek (?) where you can go on line to order a birth certificate. What kind of information do they require in order to issue it. Without knowing anything on how this is done it seems to me that someone can go on line and order a birth certificate on someone else and then from there because they have the BC they could order SSN and then a DL and then a passport (sort of an ID theft) - or are there all sorts of catch and balances and personal information that only you would know required. Just curious about this.

I don't remember the exact specifics, but yes, they do have checks and balances in there to verify your identity. :)

So we are sailing in 19 days. Fiancee can not locate birth certificate. He was born 3 states away. And he has no passport. What to do or is it to late?

This happened to me a couple of years ago~never did find it and now I have my passport~I called the register of deeds in the county I was born in and ordered it over the phone had it overnighted you can do this NOW and not have 20 days to worry!

BTW we leave in 5 days my DD called last night and can not find her BC :eek: I went to our local office this morning and got it for her!

Why?

The OP is a female, the person without the BC is a male. Is he changing his name?

OP may need a marriage certificate unless she was smart and booked travel in whatever name is on her passport or BC and DL.

I believe the poster meant that the fiance would need the BC to get a marriage license. EM

Vitalchek worked for my DH born in Los Angeles. We received it quickly and painless. We used that to send off for the passport so if the US Govt accepted it, customs at the terminal will. I would use Vitalchek without hesitation. If you don't get a certified copy of your birth cert, you won't be cruising.

For me, I live in the town where I was born so I went to vitalrecords and got mine. I had one but it was in very bad condition and I was afraid it wouldn't be accepted with the tape on it etc so I just got a duplicate certified copy.

You still need a BC.

In MA and NH, you can go to the City/Town Hall and get certified vital records records that are recorded there.

So it's not just you backward southern cities. But parking is free in the town I was born in, my daughter was born in Boston so I imagine it'd be a bit more in parking outside Boston City Hall. ;)

Well I sure hope GoPlay Ball, the OP, comes back and lets us know what happens!

If BF doesn't want to go through the hassle she should take a BGFF, or any one of about 2000 othe rwomen on these boards who'd jump at a chance to go on a cruise again:D

i had a bc mailed to me in 4 days and then a passport expedited in 5. basically, in 10 days i had a passport.

i paid through the nose to do all that, but i still did it. that is one great thing about America. Money is all you need and anything can be done.

So we are sailing in 19 days. Fiancee can not locate birth certificate. He was born 3 states away. And he has no passport. What to do or is it to late?

Call the county recorder's office where he was born (should be able to find info on the county site on the internet - may even have instructions for orderinga birth certificate) and find out what you have to do to get a certified copy of his birth certificate and have it sent overnight to you. Do this today:eek:!!

Years ago, we were taking my Mom on her first cruise. She not only didn't have a birth certificate, her birth had not been registered - something about the middle of winter in the dakotas and living out in the country..........

Our TA found out what she could use as a substitute for the birth certificate to get a passport,

found out exactly what she needed to do when and where,

and walked her through each step successfully.

We enjoyed our cruise together.

Yes, I'm still using that great TA!:)

Call the county recorder's office where he was born (should be able to find info on the county site on the internet - may even have instructions for orderinga birth certificate) and find out what you have to do to get a certified copy of his birth certificate and have it sent overnight to you. Do this today:eek:!!

I used to work in the same building with a VA state delegate. Folks were always going to their office to get an expedited copy of their birth certificate. In fact, I needed mine for the first cruise we took (years ago). I had mind 2 days from the date of their request to the state bureau of vital records.

Sounds like you need it in a hurry - it might be worth trying to locate your local representative to your state's government to see if you can get help there.

i dont need one but just curios.my father was in the airforce and i was born on a airforce base in korea.how would i get a birth cert..:confused:my original looks pretty bad and the embossed stamp is barely there,was worried they wont accept it.

Your Korean BC will not be of use in obtaining a passport or traveling or proving that you are a US citizen. You need to use the Consular Report of Birth Abroad as your proof of citizenship or any other time that a "Birth Certificate" is called for.

Archived