Medical question ref: boiling water on ship

ceejilly

Maybe some other cruiser has the same problem as me, I could do with good advice. My problem is due to a medical condition I need to self catheterise and self flush every day, fine if I'm on dry land as I can make up a litre of sterilised water every day but on ship how can I gain access to boiling water? It's a straight forward mixture, just a small amount of salt added to water, but the water has to be boiling. The other temporary alternative is to use bottled water either by purchasing on board or bringing a couple of cases on board at embarkation time. I'm abit concerned with this alternative as the water would not contain salt and how 'sterilised' would it be?? This is my first cruise where I am faced with this problem and any advice would be gratefully received.

Maybe some other cruiser has the same problem as me, I could do with good advice. My problem is due to a medical condition I need to self catheterise and self flush every day, fine if I'm on dry land as I can make up a litre of sterilised water every day but on ship how can I gain access to boiling water? It's a straight forward mixture, just a small amount of salt added to water, but the water has to be boiling. The other temporary alternative is to use bottled water either by purchasing on board or bringing a couple of cases on board at embarkation time. I'm abit concerned with this alternative as the water would not contain salt and how 'sterilised' would it be?? This is my first cruise where I am faced with this problem and any advice would be gratefully received.

I'm sorry, I can't help you ... but perhaps the folks on the disabled cruise travel board can:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Or you could contact the special needs department of the cruise line and ask. If you indeed need the water sterlized, perhaps they can accommodate this in the medical clinic on board?

There is no access to 'boiling water' onboard. You can get distilled water supplied by the ship (no charge for a gallon or two, but usually a charge for more than that amount), but there are no facilities (that I have ever heard about) to boil water unless you go through the medical center for assistance (which there would be a hefty charge for). Good Luck!

Call Princess well ahead of time and they can arrange for the delivery of as much distilled water as you need. They get this sort of request all the time for sleep apnea patients, who need distilled water for their breathing machines.

Will the adding of salt to a jug of distilled water do the trick?

SirWired

Depending on the amount of water you need, those electric kettles work very well. Stuff one in your luggage and have boiling water in minutes.

Are electric kettle contraband? Much like the way portable travel irons are generally not allowed by the cruise lines?

The chance of burning down a stateroom, however slim, always has the corporations banning such items.

Check with special needs department at Princess as stated.

I am sure that they have assisted others with similar needs and from everything I have read on cruise critic the cruise lines are generally very helpful. I know of people that would let something like this to hold them back from cruising and complain about their lot in life.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

It seems like you should be able to have this delivered each morning by room service as they are delivering tea - boiling water and tea bags. I would do has others have suggested and contact Special Needs and post the question on the disabled board. Once on board, check with Dining Services. It really seems like a simple, straight forward request.

I was wondering if you had your own container, couldn't you go to Horizon Court and fill it from the hot water spout for tea? I guess it may not be boiled long enough - no guarantee it is sterile.

It seems like you should be able to have this delivered each morning by room service as they are delivering tea - boiling water and tea bags. I would do has others have suggested and contact Special Needs and post the question on the disabled board. Once on board, check with Dining Services. It really seems like a simple, straight forward request.

I was wondering if you had your own container, couldn't you go to Horizon Court and fill it from the hot water spout for tea? I guess it may not be boiled long enough - no guarantee it is sterile.

Its not even close to being hot enough via room service.

And the HC is not a place to be sterilizing anything medical. :eek:

I have to agree here. The medical clinic would be the only way I would even consider this. Staterooms are not set up to sterilze things (even water) or to have sterile things delivered to them. I would contact Princess 'special needs' and talk to them before anything else.

I have to agree here. The medical clinic would be the only way I would even consider this. Staterooms are not set up to sterilze things (even water) or to have sterile things delivered to them. I would contact Princess 'special needs' and talk to them before anything else.
I agree 100%. Any alternative might not be sterile. I'm sure they have the capability of providing sterile water or can assist you. Make sure your insurance will cover the cost of visits to the Medical Center as they may charge you.

Depending on the amount of water you need, those electric kettles work very well. Stuff one in your luggage and have boiling water in minutes.

Are electric kettle contraband? Much like the way portable travel irons are generally not allowed by the cruise lines?

The chance of burning down a stateroom, however slim, always has the corporations banning such items.

We often read about people bringing on small coffeemakers to make their own coffee so why not a small kettle to boil water?

Absolutely not true on Princess. Many passengers bring their own coffee makers or hot pots on board and are allowed to do so. Just make sure it has an automatic shut-off.

I agree 100%. Any alternative might not be sterile. I'm sure they have the capability of providing sterile water or can assist you. Make sure your insurance will cover the cost of visits to the Medical Center as they may charge you.

Good point Pam! It maybe worth to ask how much they may charge and ensure that your insurance will cover costs.

Like I said, I really happy to see that the Op is not letting this stop them from enjoying a cruise! :)

Does 'automatic shutoff' include unplugging the unit as soon as the coffee is done ??

The the OP: I would go with one of the plans that you know will work for

you absolutely. No maybe's. Sounds like the good planning you are doing

will help you to have a healthy and fun cruise.

Archived