Verona

Woobstr112G

Has anyone ever gone on an excursion to Verona while staying in Venice. Next October we are doing a two day pre cruise stay in Venice before our cruise. Was wondering if a trip to Verona would be feasible.....

Thanks in advance for your replies....:):):)

Bob

Yes, You can get to Verona quite easily on the train from Venice. I MUST say though that there is plenty IN Venice to fill your time in only 2 days. So far I've been there for 9 days and haven't seen everything!!

Thanks for the info. DW has a bug about seeing the mythical "Roneo & Juliet" thing.....:):):)

Bob

Our first trip to Italy, we actually stayed in Verona and took the train to Venice. Besides the Romeo and Juliet balcony, there is a very nice arena (reminded me of the Colloseum in Rome) and a very nice old Castle you can walk around in Castlevecchio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castelvecchio_(Verona)

We had a car, but left it parked and walked around town. It was not as filled with tourists as the larger more noted cities of Italy.

But I agree with riffatsea. With only 2 days in Venice, it could be pushing it to go see Verona too. If you want to see Venice and then the outlying islands like Murano, Burano, and Lido, there just won't be enough time to do it all.

Our first trip to Italy, we actually stayed in Verona and took the train to Venice. Besides the Romeo and Juliet balcony, there is a very nice arena (reminded me of the Colloseum in Rome) and a very nice old Castle you can walk around in Castlevecchio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castelvecchio_(Verona)

We had a car, but left it parked and walked around town. It was not as filled with tourists as the larger more noted cities of Italy.

But I agree with riffatsea. With only 2 days in Venice, it could be pushing it to go see Verona too. If you want to see Venice and then the outlying islands like Murano, Burano, and Lido, there just won't be enough time to do it all.

Good points. I'll let my DW know about the time constraints.

Thanks Again.....:):):)

Bob

I loved Verona, but you need more time in Venice. And the balcony is not at all worth the trip. Remember that since R&J is fiction, so is the balcony.

This is another reason why you need to take a land trip to really see Italy. I have spent weeks there and only scratched the surface. Wonderful country!

I loved Verona, but you need more time in Venice. And the balcony is not at all worth the trip. Remember that since R&J is fiction, so is the balcony.

This is another reason why you need to take a land trip to really see Italy. I have spent weeks there and only scratched the surface. Wonderful country!

Actually, the movie states that there is a group of ladies who have, for 30 years or so, answered the notes left on the wall under the balcony, so that part of the movie is true, apparently.

I just think there are many good reasons to back to Italy time and time again and this is one of them.:D You will definitely need more time in Venice. We spent two days on the outlying islands last year and really never got to spend time in the main area around St. Mark's Square and the canals and museums there. That's why I'm going back next May.

My take on where to spend your limited time:

1) You are wrong no matter what you do. You do not have enough time to even begin to Venice or Verona

2) You are right whether you stay in Venice or take a day trip to Verona. Do whatever seems right at the time and enjoy it.

bonus: Verona is important to Venetian. You will see the Venetian seal on the edcity gates as you walk from the train station to the old city. Verona was key in Venice's on-going struggle with Milan in the 1400s.

Definitely feasible. Wait and see how you feel after you've arrived in Venice. Don't underestimate the effects of the long flight and time change. It's good to know Verona is less than 2 hrs away so if you're up to it, it's an easy trip. And if you're not up to it, you'll be more than content to spend that time in Venice.

We arrived the afternoon before our cruise and stayed by the airport. The next day we only energy for a lovely b'fast, a short walk around the village, an ATM stop, and we then headed for the ship at noon. It was our 2nd visit to Venice and we stayed for a few days after the cruise. Have a wonderful trip !

Definitely feasible. Wait and see how you feel after you've arrived in Venice. Don't underestimate the effects of the long flight and time change. It's good to know Verona is less than 2 hrs away so if you're up to it, it's an easy trip. And if you're not up to it, you'll be more than content to spend that time in Venice.

We arrived the afternoon before our cruise and stayed by the airport. The next day we only energy for a lovely b'fast, a short walk around the village, an ATM stop, and we then headed for the ship at noon. It was our 2nd visit to Venice and we stayed for a few days after the cruise. Have a wonderful trip !

Thanks for the well wishes. I definitely want this cruise to be special for my DW. This might be our las one for a couple of years to allow me to pay off some debt since I'm about 5 yrs from retirement.....

Thanks again for the well wishes.....:):):)

Bob

Archived