New version of CC forums coming soon!

Texas Teen

I guess I'll be the only voice non-agreement with the crowd. I checked out the other board and poked around a bit and thought it was fine.

I agree with you. The announcement was vague on how it can be taken, but the underlying structure is the same. I'd expect they keep the current style and just overlay the new interface features.

I love the look of the current Cruise Critic forum. In fact, it is my favorite message board of the few that I do visit. I do not like the look of the new forum but hope it functions the same way this one does. Would like to see the edit button work more than 20 minutes, though.

Their dime - their time - I guess if people using this board were paying to do so maybe posters would have a say but since CC is privately funded they need to do what is best for their bottom line.

It may be their dime but I see it as our time. The CC site is loaded with information and these boards are a huge part of it. Without the boards this site would be no where near as valuable from an informational standpoint. And WE are the ones providing a large amount of that information. It might be best if management looked at this as more of a symbiotic relationship.;)

I checked out the other site. I find it very difficult to follow and would not be looking forward to using it to the point where I think it would effect the frequency of my visits to Cruise Critic.

Should be is the operative word.! And data can be lost in upgrades.

So many pessimists. The oldest posts on Independent Traveler go back to 2004 and the oldest posts on Cruise Critic now go back to 2004. Obviously the two sites are following parallel tracks software wise. When the software version is upgraded the data will still be there like it is on Independent Traveler.

So I just noticed some interesting numbers for the two sites. The Independent Traveler has approximately 28,000 members, 3000 threads and 36,000 posts. Cruise Critic has approx. 638,000 members 1,209,432 threads with 25,286,200 posts. Now, for some reason they want to make THIS site more like THAT site??:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Should be is the operative word.! And data can be lost in upgrades.

So many pessimists.

I don't think data will be lost but old data is outdated anyway fast in this age. And if some reason it was lost on CC it will still be on google.

There is a huge difference between pessimism and spectulation based on experience.;)

So I just noticed some interesting numbers for the two sites. The Independent Traveler has approximately 28,000 members, 3000 threads and 36,000 posts. Cruise Critic has approx. 638,000 members 1,209,432 threads with 25,286,200 posts. Now, for some reason they want to make THIS site more like THAT site??:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Different audiences. If you think about it makes sense that Independent Traveler would have a smaller audience......

Cruise Critic has changed before and people said the same type stuff. People are resisistant to change. After a week or two everyone will get used to it.

I agree, Charles. Maybe its a Maryland cruiser thing :)

If I want info, I will continue to come to Cruise Critic to get it, regardless of the format. Hopefully everyone else will, too, and it will continue to be such a wonderful resource for us all.

Rachel

There is a huge difference between pessimism and spectulation based on experience.;)

Look at Independent Traveler. The posts go back to 2004. The same date as currently on Cruise Critic. It is likely that both converted to vBulletin in 2004. They have already did the version upgrade there and retained the data so the experience will be the same here.

As someone else pointed out, often it's because the software being used is becoming obsolete. CC has no control over that, and in order to remain a viable site, has to "change"

The one thing that I wish this site had was the ability to "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" postings...many times I agree or like what a poster has to say...but don't want to just add to the thread to say so...

Second thing I'd like to see is the inability to quote ENTIRE posts...still don't understand why people insist on doing that with these huge initial posts, just to put "Yeah, what he said" at the end...waste of time, waste of space. If you're posting to a thread, we know what message you're talking about..

I

The boards that use the vBulletin software are upgrading to the newest version. You may not like the look but it is what is under the hood that counts. Also generally software companies stop supporting older versions at some piont. They stop making patches and putting out security updates. The change is inevitable. Does not matter if what we think of the look or what the Cruise Critic owners think of the changes. Their alternative is not sticking with what they have, it would be switching to other software.

I'd be willing to bet that this is the case...just an upgrade to a newer version that is better supported by the software vendor. vBulletin is a very popular software package for bulletin boards, and I believe that it's pretty flexible in how it can be configured. I'd expect (and hope) that vBulletin offers an upgrade utility that will maintain all existing user info (including message counts) in the upgrade, and that CC will configure it to have a similar look and feel to the current version.

To the CC administrators...do a little marketing to your user base. Explain to everyone why we should view this upgrade as a good thing. Tell us about new functionality, or better performance, or better reliability. I'm sure that vBulletin has sold you on the new version, so pass on that info to help sell us. From the vBulletin web site, one thing that looks interesting is a new iPhone app that let's you interact with CC.

Im surprised no one mentioned the integration of social media sites, especially Fbook (27,000) and Twitter (15,000)? Cruise Critic has a huge audience on those venues, you would think there would have already been integration of some sort here?

It depends on your browser as to if you currently see advertisements between posts, I used to, but I dont any more.

Also, the Independent Traveler site and CC are the same company.

I vote for KEEPING cruise critic the way it is/functions. I like it better then the Independent Traveler site.

I like the idea of the iPhone app, that will make it easier to read the CC forum on my iPhone, which I do frequently at work.

I wonder if private messaging will be disabled in the new format, as it is in the current format.

Second thing I'd like to see is the inability to quote ENTIRE posts...still don't understand why people insist on doing that with these huge initial posts, just to put "Yeah, what he said" at the end...waste of time, waste of space. If you're posting to a thread, we know what message you're talking about..

I agree that the quoting is many times over done especially when we see the same pictures re-posted because of quoting. However, often times people are responding to a particular post in a thread and I think the quoting makes it much easier to follow the thought process.

I think we should be able to quote and entire post but I do agree that people should use it a bit more carefully.

I am one of those members over there and do not post there. I joined a few years ago out of curiosity when they announced The Independent Traveler bought Cruise Critic. I was sadly disappointed. Edit: It was their Trip Advisor site I was thinking of. Both are bad though.

Must be a money saving measure so they do not have to pay for as many software licenses.:(

Archived