Unfortunate dining room experience for solo cruiser on Majesty of the Seas

Ldyandrea

...I can also state that I had been made to feel as if "...being single and traveling alone relegated me to a less worthy status" while traveling alone aboard the Navigator of the Seas last year.

I was seated at a smaller table with no other guests (as if it were the children's table) and, while the adjacent larger table and one other smaller table were attentively tended, I was left to wait throughout each course of my meals in the MDR. I made certain to communicate my concerns with the service on my comment card, but if I'm traveling alone, I now avoid the MDR altogether.

For MANY years, I had sailed with RCI as a single guest without any significant impact on my MDR experiences. This original post is perhaps further evidence of a current void in RCI's ability to accommodate this segment of the cruising population.

Is it too far a stretch to seat all single guests together?? Even that would be an improvement. I can assure you, the guest manifests used by the ship & shoreside staff can clearly arrange that these folks be seated together; that's how it was in the past (now, everything is automated, so I don't believe there is the same attention to detail.)

And, OP, disregard the so-called 'haters' on here: as has been known to occur in any comments that don't absolutely BEAM about RCI, they will always try to diminish the experiences of others. I'm a tried-and-true RCI (& Celebrity) supporter and take any opportunity to rave about the ships & service when folks inquire; however, I can still maintain a basic amount of objectivity when trying to understand what another cruiser may have experienced. I'm a proud Diamond-level member, but don't feel I need to be blind to the possibility that RCI is less than stellar 100% of the time (even RCCL realizes this, by asking that we submit our comments at the end of the vacation).

God bless us...EVERYONE... and Happy Holidays!!

:p

So, as a solo cruiser you feel it is acceptable to show up to main seating an hour late and expect to be seated even though you had late seating?

Not to seem unkind here, but DH and I usually travel with family and friends, and opt for traditional dining (2nd seating). We would be more than annoyed if the waitstaff decided to plop a total stranger down at our table, nearly an hour into dinner service! Perhaps the OP would be happier choosing My Time Dining, next cruise. :cool:

WOW...this is too funny....!!! I love this...I agree with you and SeaUs...

The writer did not have a significant other to check her...the people on this site certainly did!!! LOL...We all need to hear the truth now and then. :D

First, we are only hearing one side of the story here. If the OP did arrive for breakfast before the MDR closed then she should have been seated. The issue with just showing at dinner with the expectations of having her seating time changed was her fault and in no way should any of the staff be blamed. The fact that she is blaming someone other than herself makes me think that it's all about her. Sorry but that's the way that I see it. If you wanted to dine at your time then you should have selected My Time Dining.

...I can also state that I had been made to feel as if "...being single and traveling alone relegated me to a less worthy status" while traveling alone aboard the Navigator of the Seas last year.

I was seated at a smaller table with no other guests (as if it were the children's table) and, while the adjacent larger table and one other smaller table were attentively tended, I was left to wait throughout each course of my meals in the MDR. I made certain to communicate my concerns with the service on my comment card, but if I'm traveling alone, I now avoid the MDR altogether.

For MANY years, I had sailed with RCI as a single guest without any significant impact on my MDR experiences. This original post is perhaps further evidence of a current void in RCI's ability to accommodate this segment of the cruising population.

Is it too far a stretch to seat all single guests together?? Even that would be an improvement. I can assure you, the guest manifests used by the ship & shoreside staff can clearly arrange that these folks be seated together; that's how it was in the past (now, everything is automated, so I don't believe there is the same attention to detail.)

And, OP, disregard the so-called 'haters' on here: as has been known to occur in any comments that don't absolutely BEAM about RCI, they will always try to diminish the experiences of others. I'm a tried-and-true RCI (& Celebrity) supporter and take any opportunity to rave about the ships & service when folks inquire; however, I can still maintain a basic amount of objectivity when trying to understand what another cruiser may have experienced. I'm a proud Diamond-level member, but don't feel I need to be blind to the possibility that RCI is less than stellar 100% of the time (even RCCL realizes this, by asking that we submit our comments at the end of the vacation).

I'm hardly an RCI "cheerleader"... wrong is wrong and the OP was wrong.

What if half the ship decided to arrive for dinner late or demand they be seated in MTD when they had signed up for traditional dining? Pandemonium.

I'd be miffed, as well, if they seated the OP at our table and we had to wait for her to "catch up" after being an hour late. I'd also be miffed if I had signed up for MTD and had to wait to be seated because she took my spot that she wasn't entitled to.

in the end she was not denied

So, if you were to arrive at BF before closing, were told you could not enter, and you got into a verbal engagement with the HW and argued until you were permitted to enter, THAT would be OK by you?

I do not think so.

Not to seem unkind here, but DH and I usually travel with family and friends, and opt for traditional dining (2nd seating). We would be more than annoyed if the waitstaff decided to plop a total stranger down at our table, nearly an hour into dinner service! Perhaps the OP would be happier choosing My Time Dining, next cruise. :cool:

I have to agree with you on this matter. I would not have appreciated the addition to the table. The headwaiter was put in a position where he had to consider all who would be affected by the OP's request not just the needs of the OP.

I can understand the breakfast issue if, in fact, it was not already past the posted closing time. But it really sounds like the dinner request was out of line. I would have never made such a request in the first place and headed off to the Windjammer and enjoyed my dinner. I certainly would not have showed up LATE for the seating that I was not assigned to and expected to be accommodated.

I was seated at a smaller table with no other guests (as if it were the children's table) and, while the adjacent larger table and one other smaller table were attentively tended, I was left to wait throughout each course of my meals in the MDR. I made certain to communicate my concerns with the service on my comment card, but if I'm traveling alone, I now avoid the MDR altogether.. . .

Out of curiosity, did you want to sit by yourself or with others? If you wanted with others, did you ask if you could move to a table with other guests? I wasn't sure if you or your TA requested a "small" table for you so you ended up by yourself at a table for 2.

Dinner in the MDR starts when? You decided to show up when? Nuff said!

Based on the OP's interpretation of when to show up for dinner, I sincerely question if they arrived on time for breakfast as well.

BILL

Have to side with OP on this one 100%. The breakfast issue seemed to be that the staff just didn't want to be bothered with 1 more passenger. Isn't it their job to keep the passengers happy when possible?

The dinner issue seems to have been a sensitive issue because the OP was reminded that she was dining alone on Thanksgiving. I'm sure few of us have been in the unfortunate situation of dining alone on traditionally family oriented holidays. Basically it stinks.

The issue here is how dinner was handled not why the OP wanted to eat at a different time. I try to adhere to basic ship rules such as suggested dress codes. There are rules, and then there are creative staff people who learn how to work with the rules to keep passengers happy. IMO that's where the staffer came up short: in handling the situation. How could you think that putting 1 additional passenger in MTD would throw a ship into pandemonium? Give me a break. Not working to accomodate 1 passenger shows that it was easier to dismiss her than to accomodate her.

Sounds like RCI has to work out better procedures overall for less-than-100%-perfect people. Smart managers analyze how a situation comes about and figure out ways so that their staffers don't have to make hard choices and be put in situations like this.

Believe me most of us don't have any qualms about voicing displeasure with a situation which affects us without any regard as to what the fallout would be. You pay for accomodating service and if you don't get it you have the right to complain. Being afraid to voice your opinion just doesn't work for me. Same thing could be said about the way this board works at times too.

As for comments that the OP's letter is too long that's just rude and has nothing to do with anything. It sure beats what some of the illiterates who post here have to say.

That's MHO. OP I stand with you. Just disregard all of the RCI pom-pom-ers. Flame suit on.

Playing devils advocate, I do wonder....maybe the OP, being NEW To RCCL really didnt know better. Maybe she didnt have a full understanding of MTD and thought she could be accomodated at any time in any of the MDR venues (I dont know how many floors this ship has for the MDR), even though she already had second seating. I beleive the other CL''s she has cruised on had totally different dining options. (?)

I 1000% agree if you sign up for one or the other dining times you must stick to it (options being WJ/Specialty). Just the fact that the Maitre D initially offerred to try and accomodate was more than kind. Again, considering it was well after main dining began.

no comment about breakfast in the mdr.

As a women who has travelled all over the world alone, I understand some of your feelings.

1. Breakfast - if you arrived before 9:30 then yes you should have been seated.

2. Dinner, you arrived at 7, mid service and asked for a table? I would also think that the head waiter would advise you to go to Windjammer for dinner.

Sorry, but I think the only thing that is going to happen is a staff member will get in trouble because a pax was not following the guidelines. Maybe next time MTD would be a better choice for you?

T

And this was kind of the point I was attempting to make with my original post, but apparently has been overlooked by those who are more concerned that I showed up at a time that wasn't my assigned meal time. I knew full well I was asking them to do something outside of the normal way of things, and had the guy simply said there was no availability and left it at that, I wouldn't have even made a thing about it. What bugged me was that, based on his comments, family groups were apparently the priority over a solo passenger.

The fact that I ran into the same issue earlier that day with the same crew member was what clarified in my mind that he was not treating me, as a solo passenger, the same as he would have treated a couple or a group of passengers. Jeez, from the reactions here, you'd think I'd showed up to the Dining Room on formal night in flip-flops and a bathing suit, for crying out loud! Also, FWIW, the manager of guest services told me that she thought my request was perfectly reasonable, and it shouldn't have been a problem to accomodate me.

The point of it is, solo travellers generally are given short shrift in the travel industry at large, and in the cruise industry in particular. If you cruise as a solo traveller, you are used to having to pay more for sailing on your own, though I've always felt it was mostly worth it since I generally meet lots of great people (both crew and guests), and I have a lot more flexibility to do what I want when I sail by myself. But unfortunately, there are those in that industry (whether consciously or unconsciously) who do not value their solo customers the same way they do couples and groups.

I think the concept of having a "singles" table is certainly a good idea....someone mentioned to me that Celebrity does this, and you can arrange ahead of your cruise to be seated at a singles table if you like.

With as many cruises as I have taken, I had not done traditional dining before, and had wanted to try it out for a change. I don't think I'll be doing it again in the future, however, as it doesn't seem to allow for much flexibility. That being said, I do enjoy eating in the dining room versus the buffet areas, since I have found that the service and food are far better, and less crowded.

Aside from the varying quality of the food/service, I find it to be very frustrating as a solo passenger to eat in the buffet. You either have to first find a spot, and leave something personal behind to hold that space while you go to get your food (and hope no one snags your spot in your absence anyway), or you get your food, and then wander around for 10 minutes, carrying your dinner, trying to find some place to sit. It's like eating at a shopping mall food court. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your experience on this. I think the industry is finally taking notice of the solo traveller market segment, and is attempting to change the culture of their industry to not only be tolerant of, but in fact cater to this demographic. In the mean time, I think it is good for people to speak up when they feel there are improvements that need to be made.

Dinner in the MDR starts when? You decided to show up when? Nuff said!

Based on the OP's interpretation of when to show up for dinner, I sincerely question if they arrived on time for breakfast as well.

BILL

For the record, I knew I was asking them to make an unusual acommodation for me regarding the dinner in reference to my time of arrival, and I'll accept that I should have just shown up at my normal time.

When I walked into the dining room for breakfast, and he said they were "closed", I looked over my shoulder at the clock on the wall, and pointed out that it wasn't 9:30 yet, so how could they be closed? Which is why I think he finally (though grudgingly) did seat me for breakfast that morning. I resent your implication that I am somehow lying about those circumstances. Had I done so, I could just as easily said I arrived on time for the early dinner seating as well, rather than telling the truth that I arrived later on instead.

. . . The issue here is how dinner was handled not why the OP wanted to eat at a different time. I try to adhere to basic ship rules such as suggested dress codes. There are rules, and then there are creative staff people who learn how to work with the rules to keep passengers happy. IMO that's where the staffer came up short: in handling the situation. How could you think that putting 1 additional passenger in MTD would throw a ship into pandemonium? Give me a break. Not working to accomodate 1 passenger shows that it was easier to dismiss her than to accomodate her. . .
OP didn't show up at the MTD venue. According to her letter, she showed up at 7 PM for the early fixed seating, which normally starts at 6 PM. Showing up an hour late for dinner and expecting to be accommodated is rude on the OP's part, in my opinion. If she had shown up at 6 with everyone else, a place probably could have found for her.

If she had shown up at 7 PM requesting MTD for one night, she might have been accommodated. I've read an occasional posting from others who have been able to get into MTD for 1 night because of a schedule conflict. It sounds like she didn't even try that route.

I can't believe that the manager of guest services thought it was perfectly acceptable for the OP to show up an hour late for dinner and expect to be seated. I think it sets a very bad precident. There are some people who post that they wanted MTD but it was fully booked and so they were stuck with a fixed seating instead. If allowing one person to show up for fixed seating an hour late is acceptable, why not 20 people? Anyone who wants MTD but didn't get it will be showing up in the MDR whenever they want and expect to be seated.

My husband and I showed up for breakfast 10 minutes before the dining room was scheduled to close on Legend and were turned away. The hostess was very rude about it and said the kitchen closes at 9:30 so we needed to be there by 9:15 to allow time to get our order placed. For us, it wasn't worth the argument so we ate in WJ.

Playing devils advocate, I do wonder....maybe the OP, being NEW To RCCL really didnt know better. Maybe she didnt have a full understanding of MTD and thought she could be accomodated at any time in any of the MDR venues (I dont know how many floors this ship has for the MDR), even though she already had second seating. I beleive the other CL''s she has cruised on had totally different dining options. (?)

First off, I appreciate that you (and a few others) are apparently willing to at least give me the benefit of the doubt on this. After being called everything from a liar to a spoiled brat in response to my original post, it's nice to see that there are still some people on the Cruise Critic boards who aren't automatically inclined to jump all over me for not being as accustomed to traditional dining as they are.

This was my second cruise on RCCL, but my first cruise doing "traditional" dining as opposed to the various flexible options offered by RCCL and Princess, etc. The Majesty of the Seas is a smaller ship, and has 2 regular dining rooms, with Starlight DR seating those for My Time Dining as well assigned to traditional dining. I didn't realize the conflict with my regular dinner time until much later that day, otherwise I would have called ahead to see if I could reschedule for that evening only.

As it is, I will likely not do traditional dining again, both because of potential conflicts with evening activities, and admittedly I found that having to wait until 8:30pm to have dinner every night was not my preference.

I'm glad that there are apparently so many who do enjoy the scheduling that traditional dining offers, but this experience certainly made me realize that it's not for me.

I'm constantly amazed at the sense of entitlement people have. In spite of your doing everything to make things difficult, they tried to accommodate you where possible. If we want to make an event that would not allow us to eat at the normal dining time, we just go to another venue....we don't make the crew work around our schedule. The Majesty has nice meals at the Windjammer. Sorentos is also nice, and the Compass Deli is really good and often overlooked. There really are plenty of places to eat, without disrupting their work schedule.

OP didn't show up at the MTD venue. According to her letter, she showed up at 7 PM for the early fixed seating, which normally starts at 6 PM. Showing up an hour late for dinner and expecting to be accommodated is rude on the OP's part, in my opinion. If she had shown up at 6 with everyone else, a place probably could have found for her.

If she had shown up at 7 PM requesting MTD for one night, she might have been accommodated. I've read an occasional posting from others who have been able to get into MTD for 1 night because of a schedule conflict. It sounds like she didn't even try that route.

The Grinch was running the show that week.

For goodness sake it was on Thanksgiving no less!

Couldn't she have been accomodated in some way? Let the staffer figure out how to do that. Let's show some compassion for your customers (and they are YOUR customers) on a holiday.

As far as your breakfast went, just another example of staffers wagging the tail on the dog and not the other way around. You should have reported it. That's the only way the slackers learn to do their jobs better.

Don't you get weary of hearing pleas for perfect ratings for less-than-stellar service from the staffers? I certainly do. My boss has no problem

reprimanding me when I fall short. Why should they be special? The old "they get paid so little" argument gets tiresome after awhile.

And this was kind of the point I was attempting to make with my original post, but apparently has been overlooked by those who are more concerned that I showed up at a time that wasn't my assigned meal time. I knew full well I was asking them to do something outside of the normal way of things, and had the guy simply said there was no availability and left it at that, I wouldn't have even made a thing about it. What bugged me was that, based on his comments, family groups were apparently the priority over a solo passenger.

Perhaps this was his somewhat awkward way of saying that groups dining at their assigned tables at their assigned times would take priority over someone who waltzes in an HOUR after dinner service had started and demands to be accommodated?

The fact that I ran into the same issue earlier that day with the same crew member was what clarified in my mind that he was not treating me, as a solo passenger, the same as he would have treated a couple or a group of passengers. Jeez, from the reactions here, you'd think I'd showed up to the Dining Room on formal night in flip-flops and a bathing suit, for crying out loud! Also, FWIW, the manager of guest services told me that she thought my request was perfectly reasonable, and it shouldn't have been a problem to accomodate me.

Of course, she would - it was well after the fact, did not impact her at all and even though she would have had no idea how to deal with your request at the time it was made, "someone" should have definitely done it - as long as it wasn't her.

The point of it is, solo travellers generally are given short shrift in the travel industry at large, and in the cruise industry in particular. If you cruise as a solo traveller, you are used to having to pay more for sailing on your own, though I've always felt it was mostly worth it since I generally meet lots of great people (both crew and guests), and I have a lot more flexibility to do what I want when I sail by myself. But unfortunately, there are those in that industry (whether consciously or unconsciously) who do not value their solo customers the same way they do couples and groups.

I travel solo quite often for business and my hobby, although have not yet cruised solo (but I'd like to). Have really never had an issue being by myself.

I think the concept of having a "singles" table is certainly a good idea....someone mentioned to me that Celebrity does this, and you can arrange ahead of your cruise to be seated at a singles table if you like.

I do agree with this - did you request a large table with other singles when you booked? Oh, I forgot, you were not wanting to sit at your assigned table. In response to the other poster from the Navegator - poor service would have happened only once for me (and it has) - the headwaiter would have been involved and, believe me, service would have improved.

With as many cruises as I have taken, I had not done traditional dining before, and had wanted to try it out for a change. I don't think I'll be doing it again in the future, however, as it doesn't seem to allow for much flexibility. That being said, I do enjoy eating in the dining room versus the buffet areas, since I have found that the service and food are far better, and less crowded.

Yes, traditional dining does NOT offer much (actually not any) flexibility - but that should have been clear from the start - you can't bounce around from late to early to MTD - pick one.

And I'm certainly not a cheerleader for any line - if something is not done properly (such as your breakfast experience for instance), I'll be right there saying the cruiseline is wrong.

Archived