Booking on board

manderson2228

So we are going to the Southern Carribbean next April, and to Alaska in June... We just booked the Carribbean cruise and were about to book Alaska but then remembered that they usually have on board booking and that it might save us some money if we do it that way. Does anyone have any experience with booking on board vs doing it online? Is it cheaper to just go online or should we wait?

If you book onboard, there is a $100 deposit and you get an OBC of $25 to $150 depending on the length of the cruise and whether you book an inside or outside cabin. You can get the same benefit by purchasing a Future Cruise Credit while on board.

We usually buy an open future cruise credit to use on every cruise. We rarely book a specific cruise. This past year, the prices on Alaskan cruises came down after the final payment date--at least the ones I was looking at. We booked our August cruise after the final payment date and paid a lot less than we did for our previous Alaskan cruise seven years ago. We did basically the same itinerary--roundtrip from Seattle.

I usually tell people who know that they want a specific cruise to book it if the price is right. The prices can go up. If your dates are flexible as to when you want to go in June, or if there are several different ships sailing that you can work your schedule around, you could be better off taking a gamble to book onboard on your next cruise.

We always purchase FCCs on board for the reduced deposit and OBC, then apply them when we book our cruise at home. If you shop around, you can find agents who discount Princess cruises so that is a big plus over booking on board. Yes, I know you can book on board and then transfer but why go through the hassle? Unless your new cruise is within a week, usually there is time to do a little research for the best price.

We always purchase FCCs on board for the reduced deposit and OBC, then apply them when we book our cruise at home. If you shop around, you can find agents who discount Princess cruises so that is a big plus over booking on board. Yes, I know you can book on board and then transfer but why go through the hassle? Unless your new cruise is within a week, usually there is time to do a little research for the best price.

When I transferred my online booking to a discount TA, he specifically said that he couldn't transfer if I had booked onboard with a Princess Agent. :confused: The FCC was fine, but I guess that's considered "client stealing" if you booked with the agent on board. We usually aren't certain which cruise we'll do, so we just get the open FCC. Now I'm glad that we didn't book onboard b/c we saved $1K apiece with the discounter!:D

When I transferred my online booking to a discount TA, he specifically said that he couldn't transfer if I had booked onboard with a Princess Agent. :confused: The FCC was fine, but I guess that's considered "client stealing" if you booked with the agent on board. We usually aren't certain which cruise we'll do, so we just get the open FCC. Now I'm glad that we didn't book onboard b/c we saved $1K apiece with the discounter!:D

I have never in my life heard of a TA that would not take over a princess cruise booked onboard. Strangest thing I have ever heard. :confused:

In May, they were offering some fall cruises with double the OBC. We did do a booking and the Princess agent asked if we wanted to transfer it to our TA. Said yes and all the credits transfered.

Our cfruise a couple weeks ago offer no special deals but did purchase 4 FCC's.

Archived