Seats behind exit row

happylady

We just booked our flight on American for next May from Tampa to Seattle. I think I remember someone once saying that the exit row seats don't recline. Can anyone confirm or deny? For all legs of the trip, we'll be on a MD-80.

Most exit row seats do recline. If there is a "double" exit row such as rows 9 and 10, then seats in row 9 do not decline. the seats in front of the exit row do not decline -- in the above example, this would be true for row 8.

The row behind the exit row is normal.

The rows in front of exit rows typically do not recline, but at least on American, the exit rows usually do recline. On the MD-80s, there are two exit rows one in front of the other. The 1st exit row does not recline, but the 2nd row does. If you are in the row behind that 2nd exit row, it will be just like any other regular row.

Thanks for the info. In the past I hate, hate, hate when the person infront reclines their seat (I know it's there prerogative, but it makes me claustrophobic). So, I'm trying to come up with the best options for us.

Thanks for the info. In the past I hate, hate, hate when the person infront reclines their seat (I know it's there prerogative, but it makes me claustrophobic). So, I'm trying to come up with the best options for us.

Given that bulkheads and exit rows (the two places where you won't have a seat reclining into you) are generally blocked off for assignment to elite flyers, I don't think you will have much success in guaranteeing no recline into you. Even in first class, seats recline "into you" - unless you are in international business with rigid back seats that recline forward.

If you're in First or Business Class, the fact that the row in front of you reclines usually doesn't impinge on your space much (you still have lots of space). But not all of the seats will recline-- we were in the last row of First Class on an A320, and our seats did not recline one bit (Seatguru did alert us about this-- though they said "limited" reclining, while the seats didn't recline at all-- but the fight was full and we were unable to switch seats. Seatexpert says "restricted recline." Well, I guess zero is covered by "restricted." And remember that the reports are based on travler's input and are very subjective. You may not agree with the "reviews." Sites are still useful, but I've seen negative reviews on seats I liked, and praise for seats I didn't care for. Which is to be expected.

Thanks again for all the help. I had checked seatguru a few days ago. I just checked seatexpert and found some new info:

"All coach seats forward of the exit rows actually still have 'More Room Throughout Coach' pitch, while those aft of the exit rows have reduced pitch and are noisy due to the placement of the engines near the tail."

So, I'm happy with the seats I finally picked.

Thanks again!!

Thanks again for all the help. I had checked seatguru a few days ago. I just checked seatexpert and found some new info:

"All coach seats forward of the exit rows actually still have 'More Room Throughout Coach' pitch, while those aft of the exit rows have reduced pitch and are noisy due to the placement of the engines near the tail."

Thanks again!!

Nope not true. More Room Throughout Coach is long gone.

Thanks again!!

Nope not true. More Room Throughout Coach is long gone.

The "More Room...." on AA has been gone for at least six years; you actually found some really, really old information. However, the AA forum on FlyerTalk states the the seats forward of the exit row have a little more room. I have no idea if this is true or not.

Bummer! :(
Feel free to blame the American public, who didn't purchase tickets for a better product. Instead, they continued their focus on lowest bottom line price, contributing to the rise of ala carte fees as well.

AA thought that the public would pay a bit more for a better product. Or, if the price was the same, they would choose the better product even if it meant flying through ORD or DFW. Ha!! We know how that worked out.

Just look at how many people buy their tickets first, THEN research the product.....:D (Would they do that for a television or computer or iPod??)

The "More Room...." on AA has been gone for at least six years; you actually found some really, really old information. However, the AA forum on FlyerTalk states the the seats forward of the exit row have a little more room. I have no idea if this is true or not.

Information is 100% true.

Exit rows are fixed and cannot be moved. When the MD80s were converted to more room throughout coach, two rows were removed, one in front of the exit row and one behind. When the program ended, only one row, behind the exit rows, was added back. The rows in front of the exit have the old MRTC pitch, but it simply not advertised.

If you're in First or Business Class, the fact that the row in front of you reclines usually doesn't impinge on your space much (you still have lots of space)

Depends on the seat design, on shorthaul since the F seats recline more than Y it can be as awkward or restricting as flying economy if the person in front reclines fully...

Decided to chime in with my comments. I just opened 3 websites (www.seatguru.com, www.seatexpert.com and United website) to check the seat in my reservation. All three websites gave me a completely different aircraft configuration! When I called United CS rep reassured me that UA configuration is the correct one. I just hope it's true - don't want to have a bad seat for 14 hours!

Decided to chime in with my comments. I just opened 3 websites (www.seatguru.com, www.seatexpert.com and United website) to check the seat in my reservation. All three websites gave me a completely different aircraft configuration! When I called United CS rep reassured me that UA configuration is the correct one. I just hope it's true - don't want to have a bad seat for 14 hours!

Many of the same type of aircraft have more than one possible configuration. Just match the one on UA's webpage with the one on Seatguru, and you should be fine. That is, until they swap the equipment!

Archived