2 Carry-on Bags

1937olds

The video on "youtube" from packinglight.com shows how to pack a ton of clothing in a carry-on. If you look closely, you will see that the clothes are all "travel" clothes--lightweight clothes that take up very little space in a suitcase. That is how it may be possible to pack a lot of clothes in very little space. The size of the clothing also makes a difference--you can get a lot more small size clothing than XXL in a suitcase. The clothes I take on trips are mostly travel type clothing--lightweight, quick-drying, wrinkle-resistant. In the space that a pair of jeans might occupy, I can pack 3 pants and 3 shirts. That is my secret for packing for just about any trip in a carry-on rolling suitcase and a daypack.

For me, having manageable luggage allows me more flexibility in travel--it's liberating not having so much stuff along and not having to worry about losing luggage. We do not have to fly to our next cruise but still plan to travel light. But, if you want to bring 3 suitcases, go for it.

The video on "youtube" from packinglight.com shows how to pack a ton of clothing in a carry-on. If you look closely, you will see that the clothes are all "travel" clothes--lightweight clothes that take up very little space in a suitcase. That is how it may be possible to pack a lot of clothes in very little space. The size of the clothing also makes a difference--you can get a lot more small size clothing than XXL in a suitcase. The clothes I take on trips are mostly travel type clothing--lightweight, quick-drying, wrinkle-resistant. In the space that a pair of jeans might occupy, I can pack 3 pants and 3 shirts. That is my secret for packing for just about any trip in a carry-on rolling suitcase and a daypack.

For me, having manageable luggage allows me more flexibility in travel--it's liberating not having so much stuff along and not having to worry about losing luggage. We do not have to fly to our next cruise but still plan to travel light. But, if you want to bring 3 suitcases, go for it.

75% of all my cruise stuff is Tilley. Not cheap but top drawer in every way. Combined with a High Serra Lite AT3 bag and I'm outta here

1252164467_Tilley%20Hat%20Logo.jpgAT305_0_front.jpg

Another way to do only a carryon is to pack clothes you aren't too crazy about then donate them along the way. Whatever I wear down to San Juan gets left behind in the hotel the next morning etc.

My carryon is expandable so on the way down I'm lugging a heavy suitcase which is just about my limit as far as lifting it over my head. I spent several days in a small town in Italy once trying to find clothes and shoes because of a lost suitcase. For me it's not about the cost of checking a bag...it's the issue of a lost bag.

Lois, I agree with your comment. My BIL nearly died when he saw the 4 suitcases plus carryon that I bring on our cruises. Of course this is a man who flew frequently and had to pack his own suitcases. And, a man can get away with so few items. Okay, I'll admit it, I just have to bring everything short of the kitchen sink when I travel. Maybe someday I'll figure out how to cut out one suitcase. LOL

We enjoy dressing on a cruise - one of the few opportunites to do so. I would guess that many of the people using only a carryon are trying to avoid luggage fees. I usually spend about $5000 on a cruise so the least of my worries is a few hundred dollars in luggage fees. We are flying Southwest this year and "bags fly free". As far as delayed luggage, we always fly to the embarkatkon port two days early. Only had a problem with luggage on a cruise once when we were uninformed newbies and flew the same day. When we had problems on other trips the luggage was always delivered the next day. Really lost luggage is fairly rare today since all luggage is scanned and tracked.

We enjoy dressing on a cruise - one of the few opportunites to do so. I would guess that many of the people using only a carryon are trying to avoid luggage fees. .

Not at all. you have missed the point of some of us enjoying the ease of travel by traveling with what "we" need. Your mileage may vary.:p The OP asked if it was possible to cruise with less.... the answer is yes.

FWIW we've have travelled with carry on for many years and well before the days of charges reared its ugly head.

Many of us do not need 35 pairs of shoes for a two week cruise (I'm not kidding... met a women who had a full sized bag stuffed just with shoes once at a CC party.... different strokes for different folks I guess... :D)

Airlines don't allow 2 carry ons. They allow one carry on and a personal item, like a purse or brief case. I don't see how it is possible. Who the heck wants to wash their underwear in a sink on vacation???

B.

Southwest allows 2 checked bags per person free plus a purse and carry on. :D:D:D

Not at all. you have missed the point of some of us enjoying the ease of travel by traveling with what "we" need. Your mileage may vary.:p The OP asked if it was possible to cruise with less.... the answer is yes.

FWIW we've have travelled with carry on for many years and well before the days of charges reared its ugly head.

Many of us do not need 35 pairs of shoes for a two week cruise (I'm not kidding... met a women who had a full sized bag stuffed just with shoes once at a CC party.... different strokes for different folks I guess... :D)

I assure you I did not miss the point. I didn't say everyone was trying to avoid baggage fees. We look at a cruise as something special. I don't feel special wearing khakis and polos shirts let alone the same ones every night. Garment bag for tux, sport coats and shirts. Rest of clothes in another suitcase. Miscellaneous items in carryon. When you walk up the hallways on last night of cruise, average seems to be about 3 suitcases per cabin or two very large suitcases. Problem with larger suitcases is the weight limit. If you have nice clothes, why would you not take them on a vacation?

I assure you I did not miss the point. I didn't say everyone was trying to avoid baggage fees. We look at a cruise as something special. I don't feel special wearing khakis and polos shirts let alone the same ones every night. Garment bag for tux, sport coats and shirts. Rest of clothes in another suitcase. Miscellaneous items in carryon. When you walk up the hallways on last night of cruise, average seems to be about 3 suitcases per cabin or two very large suitcases. Problem with larger suitcases is the weight limit. If you have nice clothes, why would you not take them on a vacation?

What ever works for you I guess.

I know of no cruiser who just shelled out $1000.00's for a vacation who are "using only a carryon are trying to avoid luggage fees." It's a travel experience choice for everyone I know who travels lite.

Again, the OP asked if it can be done. I can, you can't; no worries mate.... it's what makes the world go around... :D

FWIW I'm all packed with my bag for my next cruise in a few days, having just freshened up it's contents from my last cruise that ended December 20th. :p

Here we are a few weeks ago with our carry on street people look. :D

1ficgj.jpg

2dtsqr7.jpg

here's Sail-Away from the Penthouse:

8wci9h.jpg

Each to his own, I say. But my wife and I are now both converts to the “less is more” mantra. For many years we would check stuffed, 26”+ sized bags with not much thought having been given to whether we really needed what we were packing. I think that the amount we took ended up being determined mostly by the size of the space to be filled up in the bag as opposed to what was necessary to haul around on the trip. Our epiphany moment occurred three years ago when we booked our first San Juan cruise departure. Our flights to and from Puerto Rico required transfers. I decided that it would be imprudent to run the risk that our checked bags might not show up because they got mishandled along the way. So I insisted that we both pack only carry on. We both stuffed a 21” carryon as full as we could thinking about how much stuff we were used to packing with checked bags. The result was, after getting back from the nine-day trek (7 days cruise plus one day pre and one day post in San Juan) we both concluded that we had still over packed. I repeat. Less is more: less baggage to haul around, less stress worrying about whether the bags will make it to my destination at the same time we do, and less time and aggravation jostling around at the luggage carousel at destination waiting for the bags to be unloaded (presuming they actually got loaded to begin with). Also given new checked baggage rules, less money out of my pocket. Why blow $25 per checked bag each trip leg if you don’t need to? And, what if you do pay and your bags don’t show up? How much more agitated are you going to be? We have also experienced the benefit of carryon with cruises that permit self-debarkation. We don’t have to pack our bags and set them out the last night. We can simply walk off the ship with our bags in tow and avoiding the aggravation tracking down the bags in the terminal before going through customs. One final note. Travel expert Rick Steves stresses that in his opinion the best to travel Europe, even on multi week trips is with carryon. One big reason is the difficulty maneuvering bags through the turnstiles utilized by the mass transit systems.

FWIW I'm all packed with my bag for my next cruise in a few days, having just freshened up it's contents from my last cruise that ended December 20th. :p

Sixth just wondering as you look crisp in the photos, what do you actually pack for clothes, I always overpack even when I attempt to underpack

Pete

Sixth just wondering as you look crisp in the photos, what do you actually pack for clothes, I always overpack even when I attempt to underpack

Pete

No Tux, but a Tilley sport coat with a tie looks good. And the sport coat weighs next to nothing and is press free. (but they aren't cheap)

I'll bring three short sleeve shirts, two long sleeve, one bathing suit, two shorts and two slacks. (All Tilley) Two t's, pair of sandals,hat and a shave kit. Remember I also have the zip-off backpack with a few things in it too. (another Rick Steves recommendation, that zip-of pack is worth it's weight in gold)

Toss in some socks and undies and that's about it.

Of coarse I am wearing cloths on the travel day (at least until airport security makes us all fly naked.) Usually a Tilley shell over a polar fleece....

t5r40y.jpg

Each to his own, I say. But my wife and I are now both converts to the “less is more” mantra. For many years we would check stuffed, 26”+ sized bags with not much thought having been given to whether we really needed what we were packing. I think that the amount we took ended up being determined mostly by the size of the space to be filled up in the bag as opposed to what was necessary to haul around on the trip. Our epiphany moment occurred three years ago when we booked our first San Juan cruise departure. Our flights to and from Puerto Rico required transfers. I decided that it would be imprudent to run the risk that our checked bags might not show up because they got mishandled along the way. So I insisted that we both pack only carry on. We both stuffed a 21” carryon as full as we could thinking about how much stuff we were used to packing with checked bags. The result was, after getting back from the nine-day trek (7 days cruise plus one day pre and one day post in San Juan) we both concluded that we had still over packed. I repeat. Less is more: less baggage to haul around, less stress worrying about whether the bags will make it to my destination at the same time we do, and less time and aggravation jostling around at the luggage carousel at destination waiting for the bags to be unloaded (presuming they actually got loaded to begin with). Also given new checked baggage rules, less money out of my pocket. Why blow $25 per checked bag each trip leg if you don’t need to? And, what if you do pay and your bags don’t show up? How much more agitated are you going to be? We have also experienced the benefit of carryon with cruises that permit self-debarkation. We don’t have to pack our bags and set them out the last night. We can simply walk off the ship with our bags in tow and avoiding the aggravation tracking down the bags in the terminal before going through customs. One final note. Travel expert Rick Steves stresses that in his opinion the best to travel Europe, even on multi week trips is with carryon. One big reason is the difficulty maneuvering bags through the turnstiles utilized by the mass transit systems.

BRAVO!!

Everyone has overpacked at one time or another.Make a list and when you return check off what WAS USED vs WASN'T USED. You will be amazed at the number of articles that could have remained at home. Make use of the laundry (it costs but there are specials) & not have a bag full of laundry at the end of trip makes the trip last an extra day or so as you are not loading and unlaoding the washer/dryer.

To each his/her own but life is too complicated to overpack-except for memories

Carole

Happy New Year

BRAVO!!

Everyone has overpacked at one time or another.Make a list and when you return check off what WAS USED vs WASN'T USED. You will be amazed at the number of articles that could have remained at home. Make use of the laundry (it costs but there are specials) & not have a bag full of laundry at the end of trip makes the trip last an extra day or so as you are not loading and unlaoding the washer/dryer.

To each his/her own but life is too complicated to overpack-except for memories

Carole

Happy New Year

Yes, on our last cruise I did exactly that, and determined the only thing I didn't use was my mending kit, thank goodness.

We did pack heavy - two bags each - because we took along his suit as well as sports coat/ dress pants and 4 formal outfits for me instead of the normal two. Sure were hating the extra weight by day 12 of the 85 days we traveled. (4 cruises/ 4 flights/ 4 limos/ 2 ferries/ 2 water taxis/ 7 land taxis/ 8 buses/ 24 trains! /8 formal nights - QM2 and Connie)

We ended up tossing some things before we finished week two. More room for light souvenirs.

I have no intention of trying to convince anyone to pack light; do what makes you happy. But for those who want to know if it is possible, absolutely. It just takes knowledge, desire and practice. Our rules - pack your own, carry your own, wash your own and no grumbling.

small_luggage_449x800_.jpg

I only pack 3 pairs of underwear because I use pantiliners (thin pads) You can wear each pair several days by using the pantiliners. I find this works great. Another tip is to take undies and clothes you're (men too) you're ready to throw out and discard them on the cruise. That gives you room in your bags for sourvenirs. We do this on cruises and tours and return with bags weighing less than when we started even with adding souvenirs. We also recommend the space bags- the self sealing kind that doesn't need a vacuum hose. The really compress the clothes, prevent wrinkling and if TSA opens your bag, they're handling plastic bags not your garments.

We have been packing packing less and less and enjoying it more and more!!!!

I only pack 3 pairs of underwear because I use pantiliners (thin pads) You can wear each pair several days by using the pantiliners. I find this works great. Another tip is to take undies and clothes you're (men too) you're ready to throw out and discard them on the cruise. That gives you room in your bags for sourvenirs. We do this on cruises and tours and return with bags weighing less than when we started even with adding souvenirs. We also recommend the space bags- the self sealing kind that doesn't need a vacuum hose. The really compress the clothes, prevent wrinkling and if TSA opens your bag, they're handling plastic bags not your garments.

We have been packing packing less and less and enjoying it more and more!!!!

Sound like something that goes in the TMI category.

Personally I don't really wear trash clothes on a cruise. I have more self respect and respect for my fellow travelers than that. I do use them to work around the yard and house when I'm going to get dirty.

My husband and I did a two week (14 night) Alaska cruisetour with one 21" carryon each, plus a larger checked bag. We each took a backpack as our second carryon. This worked fine. We probably could have done without the checked bag if we had been more diligent about paring down what we took and put more stuff in the backpacks. I put my purse in the backpack when we boarded.

My husband wore his dress suit on the plane, and I wore my sneakers. (We did look funny!) His size 13 shoes take up a LOT of space, and I think he just wore his dress shoes and packed sneakers and sandals. The main reason we took the checked bag was to hold the spray deodorant and shaving cream that we couldn't carry on the plane. We did one load of laundry the night before we landed (on Princess) but we didn't have to.

I agree with many of the suggestions above about minimizing packing, but I also think, no big deal, if you want to take several bags, it's your choice.

Just finished packing for our upcoming 10 nights on the Equinox, one 21" rollaboard, with a small backpack.

3 dress shirts (wear one)

2 Tommy Bahama shirts

3 Polo (lightweight PGA Golf shirts)

3 ties

2 pair black slacks (wear one)

1 black suit coat

1 pair slipon dress shoes (wear)

4 pairs lightweight socks (wear one)

4 pairs lightweight Exofficio underwear (wear one) , I wash them when I'm in the shower

1 pair flipflops

5 lightweight t-shirts (Target C9)

4 misc t-shirts from various places

3 pair swim trunks

2 pair walking shorts

1 Tilley Hat

1 cap

2 'water wallets'

Misc items, toothbrush, razor

Backpack (which I'll use on port days) contains:

1 pair water sandals

1 waterproof cigar box with 10 tasty cigars and a cutter.

Camera, charger, extra battery & memory stick

Solar charger battery/light

Kindle 3 & charger

iPhone & charger

3-1-1 bag with deodorant, toothpaste, shaving cream, hand sanitizer, sunscreen.

1st aid/emergency kit (Tom Bihn wallet - small zipper pouch)

They key is lightweight clothing when possible, all are wrinkle free (except for the Tommy Bahama shirts). I also wear 'formal' slacks, shirt & shoes on the flight down. Barring a spill, I'll change after I check-in to the hotel, and, the clothes are good to wear at least once more. If I need to, I'll send laundry out.

Again, saving money is NOT the reason, peace of mind and easy of moving in the airport is.

And, again - I'm not trying to talk other people into doing this, just showing that it's possible.

Enjoy :)

Just finished packing for our upcoming 10 nights on the Equinox, one 21" rollaboard, with a small backpack.

3 dress shirts (wear one)

2 Tommy Bahama shirts

3 Polo (lightweight PGA Golf shirts)

3 ties

2 pair black slacks (wear one)

1 black suit coat

1 pair slipon dress shoes (wear)

4 pairs lightweight socks (wear one)

4 pairs lightweight Exofficio underwear (wear one) , I wash them when I'm in the shower

1 pair flipflops

5 lightweight t-shirts (Target C9)

4 misc t-shirts from various places

3 pair swim trunks

2 pair walking shorts

1 Tilley Hat

1 cap

2 'water wallets'

Misc items, toothbrush, razor

Backpack (which I'll use on port days) contains:

1 pair water sandals

1 waterproof cigar box with 10 tasty cigars and a cutter.

Camera, charger, extra battery & memory stick

Solar charger battery/light

Kindle 3 & charger

iPhone & charger

3-1-1 bag with deodorant, toothpaste, shaving cream, hand sanitizer, sunscreen.

1st aid/emergency kit (Tom Bihn wallet - small zipper pouch)

They key is lightweight clothing when possible, all are wrinkle free (except for the Tommy Bahama shirts). I also wear 'formal' slacks, shirt & shoes on the flight down. Barring a spill, I'll change after I check-in to the hotel, and, the clothes are good to wear at least once more. If I need to, I'll send laundry out.

Again, saving money is NOT the reason, peace of mind and easy of moving in the airport is.

And, again - I'm not trying to talk other people into doing this, just showing that it's possible.

Enjoy :)

Great list! :)

Personally I don't really wear trash clothes on a cruise. I have more self respect and respect for my fellow travelers than that. I do use them to work around the yard and house when I'm going to get dirty.

Sounds like you might be confusing her intent. Big difference between clothes you are "willing/wanting" to trash and clothes that "need" to be trashed or are garden-worthy.

I'm hoping no one else would think anyone is thinking any of us are talking about clothing. For me, the clothes I "trashed" were all less than a month old, but like a lot of thngs we get (especially gifts) I didn't feel good in them. Doesn't mean they didn't look good. Also when asked "where is that pretty blouse I got you" I get to blame the loss on the ship laundry:p. For my husband, the reason is that they are his favorites and he keeps putting them back in the closet when I'm tired of looking at them.

Just to touch "briefly:o" on the TMI category, with 3 pair of underwear it is possible to have two clean pair at all times. Anything nylon or silk will dry overnight.

There have been some great clothing lists posted on this thread. Only thing I can add is the prime questions you need to answer to get YOUR packing item numbers. What activities do I need to prepare for? How long does it take for each item to dry? Is there something that can do double-duty? Is there something lighter that will do the job? And of course my favorite, "Is there something in the closet I want to ditch?":D

I don't quite understand why some folks feel they have to attack those who choose to pack light. If it isn't for you, fine. There have been years long past when I didn't know what to pack or thought I had to bring the iron and espresso pot, but priorities change.

Someone with changing priorities started this thread and we'd like to help them out.

Sounds like you might be confusing her intent. Big difference between clothes you are "willing/wanting" to trash and clothes that "need" to be trashed or are garden-worthy.

I'm hoping no one else would think anyone is thinking any of us are talking about clothing. For me, the clothes I "trashed" were all less than a month old, but like a lot of thngs we get (especially gifts) I didn't feel good in them. Doesn't mean they didn't look good. Also when asked "where is that pretty blouse I got you" I get to blame the loss on the ship laundry:p. For my husband, the reason is that they are his favorites and he keeps putting them back in the closet when I'm tired of looking at them.

Just to touch "briefly:o" on the TMI category, with 3 pair of underwear it is possible to have two clean pair at all times. Anything nylon or silk will dry overnight.

There have been some great clothing lists posted on this thread. Only thing I can add is the prime questions you need to answer to get YOUR packing item numbers. What activities do I need to prepare for? How long does it take for each item to dry? Is there something that can do double-duty? Is there something lighter that will do the job? And of course my favorite, "Is there something in the closet I want to ditch?":D

I don't quite understand why some folks feel they have to attack those who choose to pack light. If it isn't for you, fine. There have been years long past when I didn't know what to pack or thought I had to bring the iron and espresso pot, but priorities change.

Someone with changing priorities started this thread and we'd like to help them out.

It wasn't my intent to attack anyone, just stating things the way they are on my street. If I have any clothes that I'm ready to "throw out" then it means they are worn out and ready for the trash. If clothes don't feel good then to me they don't fit good and I'm not going to look good in them and I'm definitely not going to take them on vacation. I'm going to take something I like. Obviously other's experiences and motivations differ.

You are correct that the OP is looking for advice from the carryon crowd, but both sides of the subject are being discussed here.

Big difference between observation and attack, too many feel that any statement that doesn't agree with them or someone they agree with is an attack. No, it's just another point of view.

I am curious how you knew her intent of the term "throw out" though.

As been said, it's whatever works for you.

Packing is my biggest nightmare. We fly from Australia and can only have one checked case (30kg) and one cabin bag(7kg),p/p,.

if you are flying to the USA (economy)

you can have 2 X 23 kg bags and one 7kg carry on EACH..

ON ALL AIRLINES..(the EXTRA BAG ALLOWED because you are flying to the US)

unlike going to Europe (from OZ ) where it's 20 kg :mad:

ps..BUSINESS CLASS GET THE 30 KG ALLOWANCE

Archived