How do you get out the wrinkles from your clothing...

Char32

I believe I read somewhere that you are not allowed to bring irons into your cabins. If this is true how do you get the wrinkles out of your clothing? After having been in the suitcase for several hours, clothes are definitely going to be wrinkled. I can't imagine having to send clothing to the cruise line laundry service on a daily basis.

What do you do?

I turn on the shower as hot as it will go, hang the garment on a hanger, place the hanger on the hook on the door, close the door. I wait approximately 5 minutes. Usually the wrinkles have fallen out.

I've also read that some cruisers bring along very small steamers.

You iron before you pack, use either dry-cleaning bags or tissue paper around items that are likely to wrinkle (that way, they "slide" and wrinkles don't set)...and then, you don't worry about it! Every single person on the ship will have a wrinkle here or there....and with the humidity of the ocean, even if you DID iron, the clothes will rumple after about 10 mins, anyway!

I bring a small empty spray bottle with me. Fill with water once you're in your room and spray said item. Be generous with the H2O...get it damp.

Shake the item a bit and put on a hanger. Hang in the closet or bathroom until dry (I'll not mention balcony, if you have one, so people won't flame me about hanging clothes outside).

It takes a couple hours to dry, so you have to plan ahead. I usually do it with all wrinkled items while unpacking.

Works for me every time...and it's free, easy, legal, and non-fattening.

I cut a dryer sheet in half, put it in a small spray bottle (the 2-3 oz. travel size ones work well), and fill the bottle up with water. Let it sit for a few minutes, then spray away at the wrinkles. Use your hands to smooth the clothes out as necessary while spraying.

Don't know if it works on silk, but it did the trick on cotton, linen, polyester, nylon, rayon, and other fabric blends. It also dried faster than using water alone since the fabric wasn't completely soaked.

This uses a lot less water than running the shower, which for some reason, has never worked for me.

Good luck.

There are MANY fabrics that don't wrinkle when packed.

Those are the types of clothes I wear when I travel.

It also helps to roll the clothing smoothly so you don't put wrinkles in while you are packing.

Noone in my house has actually used an iron in decades!

Thanks for all the great ideas! I've never used the wrinkle release products sold on the market because i always ass umed that they didn't work. I'm going to go out and get a bottle and i'll also try the dryer sheet and water in a spray bottle option...i'll see which works best!

I've tried the steam from the shower option before but that definitely hasn't worked for me. :( I guess between the smart packing and the wrinkle release method i'll be fine!

No ironing at home! Wow! My teenagers iron on a daily basis. If this works maybe i can go ahead and throw out my iron.:D

I bring the downy also; works well, but since I always fly a day before a cruise, I take some of my packed clothes out at the hotel and use their iron, then repack very carefully and use a dry cleaner bag to cover the clothes; then when I get on the ship, they aren't too wrinkled, but I will also try the dryer sheet and water home to see if it works too. Thanks for the tip

I use the shower method but after the clothes are well steamed, I turn off the water, close the door and leave them hanging for at least 30 minutes. I find that works very well for my husband's suits and my formal wear.

clothes to the dry-cleaners before the cruise and we pack everything Dress in the dry-cleaner bags and havent had many wrinkles at all...clothes are usually packed for a few days--one cruise i was packed almost 2 weeks before...little or no wrinkles and then too i dont WORRY ABOUT it...the wrinkles will come eventually after i put the clothes on, the cruise is to SHORT to STRESS over it...if really bad we will send out to press when we get on the ship!

Ditto that.

It works best if you hang the clothes on a hanger; spray the Wrinkle Release and gently pull down on the clothing item. It helps the wrinkles to fall out.:)

AND, I am never going to iron all my clothes. I would use the ship's laundry iron to press my dress for elegant night if it needed it, but not capris and shirts for excursions or sitting on deck. One tip I did pick up is that the iron in the laundry room gets VERY busy on elegant night when everyone realizes they are dressing up. So I press that dress if it needs it early in the cruise and I'm done with that stuff.

Archived