The best advice

Not just with Carnival but any vacation " Relax, think positive and don't get upset if some small things go wrong". Having been on over 60 cruises, many land vacations, I've never had one that went 100% as planned, but also have never had a cruise that I didn't love and that includes three that were changed because of a hurricane. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

For my first Carnival cruise someone suggested that I lay out everything that I planned on taking. Put half of it back and double the cash. I ignored the first part and way over packed. I have found that I actually take less on each cruise.

I know there are many but what's the best advice you've ever received when cruising on Carnival ?

To not linger in the shopping centers CCL builds around its docks. Instead, get out into the island or country (whether on CCL tour or Independent) and experience the culture and sights. I'm so glad I listened.

Go with an open mind, things will go wrong, but so many things will go right.

Learn something about each port of call so when you see it you can truely experience it.

Take twice as many photos as you think you will want, you can always delete, but it is expensive to go back. Bring extra batteries and memory cards.

Don't be afraid to talk to people on the ship and on the island. You will meet some facinating people!

Not just with Carnival but any vacation " Relax, think positive and don't get upset if some small things go wrong". Having been on over 60 cruises, many land vacations, I've never had one that went 100% as planned, but also have never had a cruise that I didn't love and that includes three that were changed because of a hurricane. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

60 cruises:eek: Wow!

make 2 copies of every document and put in two files. This way hubby has his own copy and does not drive me crazy with do we have this, where are we going, what we are doing, what time are we going etc. etc. I want to relax and not play the answer game. if something goes wrong oh well live with it, and work around it. Life is an adventure and just roll with it even if it means spam....

Bring a bungee cord. You can use it to keep your balcony door open at night (nothing like falling asleep to ocean sounds!) and it can mend together a broken suitcase if needed.

Sorry mine isn't too deep! I guess the bigger message there is to be resourceful?

the best tip was booking independent excursions....we hate crowds, and had the most fabulous time on every (well researched) ind. excursion we booked. Plus saved tons of money.

In 5 cruises I have booked 2 ship excursions, and 1 was good, the other was a waste of money.

I'm all for reading the boards, they are soooo resourceful, not just in reviews, you may even come across discounts for hotels/parking/ who knows what else. It's so much better when you've got months before you go so you can really read a few good ones before narrowing down your options. I'm just glad I discovered this site after my first cruise and have been reading every since even on the years I haven't gone on one, just to stay in touch to see if something unique has happened with passports or whatever like fuel charge and so on.

I would say you're already getting the best advice by reading these boards !!!:D:D

I've been keeping a Word document and adding the best advice I read. Here's what I have so far:

Get the 800 day of cruise hotline phone number, program ICE ship # in cell phone for each port

Alert credit card company we are out of country

Keep a Copy of medications

Review Cell phone plan

Record Booking number

Take Alarm clock

put contact info inside bag and tie brightly color ribbon

I bring 1 outfit per day, 2 dress up outfits and 2 extra just in case outfits. I bring a small bag of makeup, moisturizer w/ sunscreen, powder, mascara, lipstick, glasses, contacts (1 extra set) saline, sunscreen, a hat, 1st aid kit (bandaids, neosporin, pepto, tums, bonine) I bring a small bottle of hand santizer (for excursions) tide stick, a hilighter for the dailies and spray for the bathroom and that's it.

I do bring a small bag (an over the body type satchel) to carry my stuff in while on excursions or sight seeing.

That said, here's what I learned here, that I pack for every cruise:

- flat roll of duct tape (needed it once, it takes up no room in a suitcase)

- Purex laundry sheets

- Clorox wipes for the stateroom

- small flashlight

- first aid kit

- mesh laundry bags from the dollar store -- one white, one dark; they stay on the closet floor & the laundry gets instantly pre-sorted as it goes into the bag after being worn.

- roll of quarters for laundry; lots of singles for tips & room service

Nail clipper

Clorox wipes

aloe

Packing to disembark: Many cruise lines require you to pack your bags the night before you disembark and place them outside your stateroom to be collected. This procedure expedites the disembarkation process. Utilize your carry-on again for toiletries and any remaining items. And don't forget to leave out a change of clothes for the following morning so you don't have to exit the ship wearing your pajamas.

Farewell party last day includes free drinks

hope this helps!

Archived