First time East coast cruise?

MARINE CRUISER

You'll have to put the bottles in your checked bags---can't carry it on a plane. Also, if you purchase on the ship, and go over the US Custom's allowance, you will receive a letter the night before the cruise ends telling you when and what time to report to the on board US Custom's agents to pay your duty. You will not be allowed off the ship until you report to Customs

You'll have to put the bottles in your checked bags---can't carry it on a plane. Also, if you purchase on the ship, and go over the US Custom's allowance, you will receive a letter the night before the cruise ends telling you when and what time to report to the on board US Custom's agents to pay your duty. You will not be allowed off the ship until you report to Customs

this sounds impossible. How would any ship know how many in your party. Texas has no law allowing you to pay any overage .. so that part also is impossible for some of us. Texas is limited to 1 liter per person .. period.

Iv been over and never once did anyone from the ship discuss or call me to come down to discuss paying overage. In fact I have never heard of a ship doing this. What line was this on that you encountered this??

Other states residents I have almost never heard of them having to pay the extra, they are waved thru.

OP, make sure you wrap them in bubble wrap, bring some from home.

The fee you could pay for overweight luggage could negate any small savings you had buying the liquor. It may not be worth the trouble of lugging it not to mention the risk of it breaking in your suitcase and wrecking all your suitcase contents....... and other suitcases on top of which yours may be piled. :eek:

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity for two. I'm saying this is for bottles purchase ON the ship, not in ports. And, if you charged the bottles on your sign and sail card, of course they'll know who purchased it---it makes no difference how many are in your group---if one purchases the items, they're the one who will pay. And yes, some friends of mine purchased a few bottles on the ship, and had to report to the Custom's officials on the ship, bring the booze with them and pay the duty. My sister got called at least twice to report before she could leave the ship. And FYI, I don't make things up. I've personally seen it happen when I purchased an item on the ship, and it went over the Custom's allowance, and I got the letter from the purser telling me to report to pay the Custom's fees. While there, I was in line with at least 15 passengers who purchased bottles that were over the US Custom's allotment. Heck, some lines will give gamblers an W2G when they win a jackpot over $1199 and some lines don't do this. Some lines will report on board purchases to Customs while others might not.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity for two. I'm saying this is for bottles purchase ON the ship, not in ports. And, if you charged the bottles on your sign and sail card, of course they'll know who purchased it---it makes no difference how many are in your group---if one purchases the items, they're the one who will pay. And yes, some friends of mine purchased a few bottles on the ship, and had to report to the Custom's officials on the ship, bring the booze with them and pay the duty. My sister got called at least twice to report before she could leave the ship. And FYI, I don't make things up. I've personally seen it happen when I purchased an item on the ship, and it went over the Custom's allowance, and I got the letter from the purser telling me to report to pay the Custom's fees. While there, I was in line with at least 15 passengers who purchased bottles that were over the US Custom's allotment. Heck, some lines will give gamblers an W2G when they win a jackpot over $1199 and some lines don't do this. Some lines will report on board purchases to Customs while others might not.

This is not correct. If one member of a group of eight buys eight bottles each member of the group could take one bottle off the ship duty free.

If you buy in St. Thomas your allowance goes up.

If you buy on the ship do they not keep it until the last night?

We have only done it once on NCL we had to pick up the duty free the night before disembarkation

Any jewelry & alcohol you buy in the shops onboard are reported to customs

Archived