Destination Wedding in Orlando

Palmetto Lady

My niece is getting married on the beach at the Grand Floridian. I am a slim senior. I have no idea what to wear.

Congratulations:),..I have been to the Grand Floridian and its really

nice:D..a beach wedding sounds casual. Is the bride wearing a gown?

I would talk to your neice. What time of day is the wedding? We

need some more information in order to help you:)

If it's morning or afternoon, a knee-length dress...something nice, but not necessarily "formal" is fine... If it's evening, then you can go floor-length, if you want....but it really depends on if the wedding is "formal" or not...just ask!

If it's soon, wear warm clothes! Like scarfs, mittens, hats.....

LOL....Esther too funny;) You know in a week it will be warmer again:)

Let us just hope this coming winter is nothing like the last one:eek:

If you recall, one year ago we had the coldest winter on record:eek:

When is it?

In the winter, esp. in Orlando, it can get COLD...like in the 30's...last Feb. some friend ran a Disney half marathon and it was in the 20's. Today in Palm Beach/Miami it barely got in the 60's and 2 hours north of here in Orlando it was probably 20 degrees cooler..no kidding...

Also, you said destination wedding in Orlando..there is no beach in Orlando..you have to drive a little to the coast away from Orlando to a real beach..unless you are talking about one of the Disney "beach club" resorts like Disney Yacht Club, Beach club, etc.

When is it?

In the winter, esp. in Orlando, it can get COLD...like in the 30's...last Feb. some friend ran a Disney half marathon and it was in the 20's. Today in Palm Beach/Miami it barely got in the 60's and 2 hours north of here in Orlando it was probably 20 degrees cooler..no kidding...

Also, you said destination wedding in Orlando..there is no beach in Orlando..you have to drive a little to the coast away from Orlando to a real beach..unless you are talking about one of the Disney "beach club" resorts like Disney Yacht Club, Beach club, etc.

There is a beach out back of the Floridian too;)bet that is what she

is talking about.

And yes, it can get cold.....my heat is on this evening as well.

The GF is a very nice resort. It is considered to be one of the "fanciest" hotels on Disney property. Is the reception indoors? If the reception is at the GF, then the atmosphere of the wedding, regardless of the beach cermony may feel fancier than a more typical beach wedding. In essence, the wedding will have that kind of beach vibe without as much of the beach downfalls as there would be a seaside beach.

The beach areas in Disney are accessed by paved walking paths. No swimming is allowed into the lake areas that the beaches access, so many of the beaches have no direct water contact. It is almost like the lakes have a boundary at the sand area to reduce temptation to get into the water even. I know that this is the case at nearby Wilderness Lodge, but am not sure about the GF.

The beach view from the GF will have a fairy tale view of the Magic Kingdom with Cinderella's castle in the distance. Depending on the time of day of the wedding, and the time of year, there is the possibility of seeing the Wishes fireworks show in the distance also. I know the beach at the Poly (next door along the waterline) has the music playing at the beach when the fireworks go off.

All that said...you should really talk to your neice about the dress code. It's quite possible that it would be very much like a normal wedding at a fancy hotel. You may just want to arrange for a change of shoes (possibly) between the wedding and the reception (sand issues). Disney is a very accommodating host for these things, is likely to have dealt with this in the past (they do a lot of weddings) and so should have a plan in place to help guests.

Can you tell I love Disney?:rolleyes::):cool:

Thanks for all of your responses. The wedding is at 11:00 am on the beach of the Grand Floridian. The reception is in the evening at the Hotel so there is plenty of time to change. Sad to say, I have never met my niece because we did not live close to each other. She is actually a first cousin once removed - Her dad is my first cousin and is younger than I am. We never saw much of each other except recently. When we visited the area where they formerly lived we spent the limited time we had with our parents. I guess I could call my cousin's wife.

This is my first experience with a destination wedding!

That's not a real beach, though..LOL..a real beach is what you have in jacksonville or what I have here in south florida...not "man made" beach behind an inland resort...just like Disney Yacht Club..we stayed there last month, lovely but no yachts as we were smack outside Epcot center..

It was in the 50's in Palm Beach today so you can bet it's colder in Orlando..everyone in church today had hose, boots, leather coats, sweaters on today..

There is a beach out back of the Floridian too;)bet that is what she

is talking about.

And yes, it can get cold.....my heat is on this evening as well.

That's not a real beach, though..LOL..a real beach is what you have in jacksonville or what I have here in south florida...not "man made" beach behind an inland resort...just like Disney Yacht Club..we stayed there last month, lovely but no yachts as we were smack outside Epcot center..

It was in the 50's in Palm Beach today so you can bet it's colder in Orlando..everyone in church today had hose, boots, leather coats, sweaters on today..

Hi,:) I know it is not a "real beach" but it is a "beach area", yes, man

made, but for the resort it is a "Disney man made beach".

Not trying to argue with you about it though:D...but for someone who

does not have access to a beach? If they walk outside they will be

looking at water, sand, etc.....:D..."beachy stuff"

LOL.true..I forget most people dont live in FL and when I may be freezing at 50, they may find it to be tropical! We had lunch at the beach on Fri and it was in the 50's again, we were all hunkered down in winter clothing and you could see tourists up and down the street in nothing but bathing suits..LOL

Hi,:) I know it is not a "real beach" but it is a "beach area", yes, man

made, but for the resort it is a "Disney man made beach".

Not trying to argue with you about it though:D...but for someone who

does not have access to a beach? If they walk outside they will be

looking at water, sand, etc.....:D..."beachy stuff"

Archived