Can we bring sandwiches through Midway security?

Berk987

Flying tomorrow morning, sorry late question but wanted to know if I can bring sandwiches for my 4YO and 6YO. Just a little ham sandwich to tie them over. We'll eat a bit at the food court but it is a 3 hr flt to FLL. I have to feed them something other than pretzels and peanuts. They love those little hawaiian buns.

no problem. If you are worried about keeping them cold, make them tonight and put them in the freezer. But I carry sandwiches thru airports all the time (I travel a lot for business) and have never had an issue--either with them spoiling or with TSA. I usually carry turkey/swiss cheese!!

Good luck

ML

must just have to make it a PB&J on hawaiian bread. I think ham will be OK for a few hours. It's not 90 degrees out. Better check weather.com for the next 7 days and see how the islands are doing. They have a sandwich show "Pot Bellys" at the airport so we may just grab a few there and they should be opened by 5am.

Definitely bring food for plane!! I always bring lots of stuff (non-liquid, no yogurt, pudding, etc.) for my long flights. I try to avoid any really stinky food so as not to annoy my fellow passengers.

I have a small soft sided cooler. It is sometimes counted as 1 of my carry-on bags (depending on the strictness of the person checking bags) but it's smaller than an average size purse.

Instead of making my sandwich in advance, I cut my roll in half and put it in a separate ziplock from the lunch meat. I find that the sandwhich gets soggy if it's altogether too long. Depending on the length of the flight, I also bring some cole slaw or macaroni salad in a small deli container, along w/ fruit, chocolate bars, nuts, etc.

To keep it all cool, I put ice cubes in a ziplock (double-bagged to prevent leaking). Just before I go through security, I dump the ice into the trash bin but keep the ziplocks. After security, I go to one of the self-service food places and fill it up again at the soda machine. If the airport doesn't have one, I'll go to a Starbucks or bar, etc. and ask them to fill it up for me. In the 9 years since the TSA started restricting liquids, I've never had anyone turn me down!

Once I finish the food, I dump the remaining ice water in the airplane sink (run some hot water to melt it so it doesn't sit there for next passenger). I collapse the cooler and stuff it into my other carryon bag.

Definitely bring food for plane!! I always bring lots of stuff (non-liquid, no yogurt, pudding, etc.) for my long flights. I try to avoid any really stinky food so as not to annoy my fellow passengers.

I did that a few times, but gave up. Now I grab a quick meal at the food court before going thru security ... less stuff to carry.

Besides, the salami and horseradish I brought were generating complaints. :D

I did that a few times, but gave up. Now I grab a quick meal at the food court before going thru security ... less stuff to carry.

Besides, the salami and horseradish I brought were generating complaints. :D

Aahh - nothing like a good garlicky salami & horseradish sandwich on Rye!!;);):D

If they like tuna, there is a nice tuna snack you can buy which will definitely pass security. Just crackers and tuna & kind of a mayonnaise thing buy it's actually quite tasty. | shared with my travelling companions as we waited for the plane last time and they were actually quite edible.

No worries about spoilage and no worries with TSA (I carried 4 on the plane and we ate them later). Have a great cruise :):)

I beleive you are going to Midway Airport. Wtih the cold temperatuers in Chicago, you do not have to worry about HAM spoiling. Hopefully you can get out of Mdiway on time to catch the plane. Chicago is supposed to get hit with snow tonight.

I'm still amazed that TSA allows a virtual picnic for the entire family through but not a bottle of water or shampoo!:cool: Just wait for explosives to be found in the limburger cheese and see how long THAT lasts!:(

Have a great trip!:D

If they like tuna, there is a nice tuna snack you can buy which will definitely pass security. Just crackers and tuna & kind of a mayonnaise thing buy it's actually quite tasty. | shared with my travelling companions as we waited for the plane last time and they were actually quite edible.

No worries about spoilage and no worries with TSA (I carried 4 on the plane and we ate them later). Have a great cruise :):)

True story, I swear. I was flying from albuquerque to somewhere, but i was coming back the same day and then flying out the next morning on another trip. Thought the little canned tuna snacks would be perfect. Go to airport, screener pulls me aside for the tuna (eying it VERY suspiciously the whole time). Calls supervisor over, he says no problem, off I go.

Next day, same routine--get pulled aside over suspicious tuna. I tell them "I was just here yesterday and supervisor said it was OK". They say no, I say, call a supervisor. Supervisor comes and says "nope, can't take it"!! So, I dump my snack.

And people wonder why I have no confidence in TSA. Same airport, same snack, different supervisors, different answer. Now I fly with those noodle soup cups. They are light and dry, no hassles with TSA. All you need is a little hot water from flight attendant, which they always have for hot tea!!

Just sayin'

ML

Now I fly with those noodle soup cups. They are light and dry, no hassles with TSA. All you need is a little hot water from flight attendant, which they always have for hot tea!!

Just sayin'

ML

Thanks for the tip!

I'll have to consider that for next time. :cool:

Thanks everyone. 6 hrs to go before we leave for MDW with our snacks (hahaha). DH bought a loaf of some pumpkin type bread from Whole Foods.

Sounds weird by delish. Kind of like a sour dough round bread. Well half is gone with dinner. I'll slice up and put some butter on it and some with cream cheese and it is a nice little snack and no worries about spoilage. Some healthy crackers, dried cranberries and almonds, some granola bar and that should get us through the flt. No big sandwiches for DD who is 6 and just lost one front tooth and the other front tooth is hanging by a thread. Think tooth fairy will be visiting us on the ship. DD will probably worry that the tooth fairy won't find us because we're on a ship at sea etc etc but no worries, tooth fairy is like Santa, they always know where good little boys are girls are.

Good night all...must finish packing.

Make sure you head to the airport early! Big snowstorm in Chicago tonight will cause delays and a busy airport in the morning. I work at O'Hare and they already started cancelling some of the morning flights tonight! :eek:

And bringing sandwiches thru TSA is no problem!

And you don't have to worry about lunch meat spoiling in Chicago for several hours! If you have a small insulated bag that is always a good idea. But if not...the suggestion of a few ice cubes in a zip lock bag is a good idea. :)

Have a fabulous trip!

Archived