Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi Ellen, I am well thankyou. Very busy at the moment creating a web site of info for cruisers travelling in this area. Up and running next week I hope.

The 9.07 from Rostock arrives Schwerin 10.03 so with your schedule you would need to depart Schwerin either 1.53 arriving Wismar 2.46 or 2.22 arriving 3.15. Trains to Rostock depart Wismar hourly. The 4.42 arriving Rostock 5.51 and so on. With sailing time of 10 pm I presume you would need to be on board by 9pm so would need to leave Rostock Hbf no later than the 8.16.

Bear in mind that the walk from the station to anything of interest in both Schwerin and Wismar takes between 10 and 15 mins at a reasonable pace. If you finish at the castle in Schwerin the walk back to the station is at least 20mins.

The tram ride between Rostock Hbf and Rostock City takes about 10 mins with about 10 mins between trams.

Please do not think I am trying to put you off, it is do-able but 4 hours in Schwerin, especially if you want to tour the castle, or 2 hours in Wismar are not really enough to see very much when you take away the walking time from and back to the station and the few minutes before the train etc. (German short distance trains leave on the dot!)

My personal recommendation would be to choose one or the other and combine Schwerin with Rostock or Wismar with either Bad Doberan or Rostock then finish off with an evening stroll around Warnemuende. This typical, small, North German seaside resort and fishing town is a gem not to be missed and is unique on a Baltic Cruise as all the other Ports of Call are cities.

If you want detailed directions for Rostock Hbf or to and from the stations in the other cities please let me know. If the web site is not finished I will e-mail them to you.

Happy Cruising, :) Anni

Hi Anni!

Yes & Yes.

Let me know if you need my email address. I am very excited to hear that you have created a web site That is great!

Kind regards,

Ellen

Hi Anni!

Yes & Yes.

Let me know if you need my email address. I am very excited to hear that you have created a web site That is great!

Kind regards,

Ellen

Hi Ellen, yes please may I have your e-mail address. Still building the site but if you want to watch it grow try www.travelanni.webs.com

I intend to stay on Cruise Critic for specific questions but let me know if you think the site will be a useful addition

Happy cruising :)

Anni

:) So much info posted here by Anni.... quite simply... sehr groß danke! :)

I am a bit confused re Warnermunde' port vs Rostock, but have checked port site, and our ship berths at P7.

I think we are going to rent a car and head out to Schwerin via Rostock and then loop back the scenic way by the coast.

My questions:

-is there a better web site for the Stasis Prison in Rostock? I'm trying to find which days they have an English speaking tour. Are there 2 prisons or am I confused with the vs the old?

-how is parking near the Marienkirsche in Rostock? (want to time it correctly for the hour mark :)

-We berth on a Sunday, and I've read that shops in Rostock will be closed. Do you think that will be the same for Schwerin?

Thanks again Anni.

Edited by SweetGG

:) So much info posted here by Anni.... quite simply... sehr groß danke! :)

I am a bit confused re Warnermunde' port vs Rostock, but have checked port site, and our ship berths at P7.

I think we are going to rent a car and head out to Schwerin via Rostock and then loop back the scenic way by the coast.

My questions:

-is there a better web site for the Stasis Prison in Rostock? I'm trying to find which days they have an English speaking tour. Are there 2 prisons or am I confused with the vs the old?

-how is parking near the Marienkirsche in Rostock? (want to time it correctly for the hour mark :)

-We berth on a Sunday, and I've read that shops in Rostock will be closed. Do you think that will be the same for Schwerin?

Thanks again Anni.

Hi, thanks for your appreciation.

The Port of Call is officially Rostock and the Cruise Terminal, which is part of the Port of Rostock, is at the mouth of the river, in the suburb of Warnemünde.

Berths P7, P8 and P4 are located in the Cruise Terminal but berth LP41 (which is only used when we have three or four big ships in together) is located in the ferry/cargo port on the other side of the river.

There is no port called Warnemünde,but for some reason the cruise companies like to imply that Warnemünde and Rostock are two separate places or, even worse, create confusion by advertising the Port of Call as 'Berlin' which is ridiculous as Berlin is 230 klms inland. People read the advertising and assume that either Warnemünde is a city like Helsinki and Tallin or that the ship docks in Berlin. Hope that this clears up the confusion.

Stasi Documentation Centre and Museum (Prison) - There is only one in Rostock but I am afraid it is closed on Sunday.

Parking near the Marienkirche - There is very little in the way of street parking in the city but there is a good underground car park opposite the church on Lange Strasse.

Sunday Trading -In general, right across Germany, shops are closed on Sunday. The exceptions are bakeries with a cafe, convenience stores in railway stations/airports/petrol stations and shops in tourist towns like Warnemünde and Berlin. Rostock and Schwerin are not classed as tourist towns but of course restaurants, cafes and bistros are open. However, there are three 'Shopping Sundays' per year which are fairly random so you may be lucky.

Happy cruising :) Anni

travelanni.webs.com

Hi Ellen, yes please may I have your e-mail address. Still building the site but if you want to watch it grow try www.travelanni.webs.com

I intend to stay on Cruise Critic for specific questions but let me know if you think the site will be a useful addition

Anni

Anni - your website looks great! I can tell you have put a lot of work into it. I have been following this thread for our trip next year and really appreciate all the help you give to everyone:)

Hi, I am an Australian who came to Rostock as a tourist several years ago and fell in love with the city. So much so that I have lived here for the past four years exploring the beauty and learning the history of the city and surrounding area. It would be my pleasure to help others enjoy my adopted home too. :)

thanks for your post

werde darauf zurueck kommen

in May after i arrived in Berlin :)

Anni - Great site!!

I just used Google maps to see the distance from Blaue Flotte, where the boat lets you off, to the Rostock Zoo. It seems too far to walk (shows a one hour walk), but it is 7 minutes by taxi. If we take the boat to Rostock, would there be taxis where the boat docks so that we can get to the zoo, then would there be taxi at the zoo to get back to the boat? I feel better with the boat option. It will be myself and 2 girls. My husband is going to Berlin with our older children. The boat seems less complicated.

Also, if there are taxis, would they speak enough English to get us to where we need to go?

Anni - Great site!!

I just used Google maps to see the distance from Blaue Flotte, where the boat lets you off, to the Rostock Zoo. It seems too far to walk (shows a one hour walk), but it is 7 minutes by taxi. If we take the boat to Rostock, would there be taxis where the boat docks so that we can get to the zoo, then would there be taxi at the zoo to get back to the boat? I feel better with the boat option. It will be myself and 2 girls. My husband is going to Berlin with our older children. The boat seems less complicated.

Also, if there are taxis, would they speak enough English to get us to where we need to go?

Hi,

Glad you like the site. I am adding to it every day, it is becoming an addiction!

Google maps are very good but they can be misleading as to times and distances without local knowledge. No one but an athlete would even consider walking from the city to the Zoo.

The nearest taxi rank to the Blaue Flotte landing point in the city, is a 10min, uphill walk away on Lange Strasse. After you disembark walk across the carpark to the main road. Cross at the lights (it is a very busy road), cross the next 2 streets and take the pedestrian steps up to the main street. The taxi rank is 50m on the right. There are no taxis at the Zoo, you would need to call one. Some of our taxi drivers speak English and some do not, it is a matter of luck I'm afraid.

Also the boats do not start until 10:30 so you would be wasting valulable time as you could be at the Zoo when it opens by train/tram and have time in Warnemunde later.

The boat fare would be 40euros return for your family plus about 20euros each way for the taxi. Train/tram would be just under 10euros return for the family.

The boat/walk/taxi option would take about 1hr 25mins against the train/tram option of about 50 mins.

The train/tram option is much easier as the train station in Warnemunde is literally alongside the ship and you get off the tram at the Zoo gates. Believe me you will not be the only cruise ship passenger changing from the train to a #6 tram as this is the most common route used to get into the city.

Changing from train to tram at Rostock main station is very, very easy. After you leave the train take the stairs one flight down to the main concourse, then take the stairs marked 'A - City' one more flight down to the tram platform. The tram you need is #6 - Zoo - Neuer Freidhof. They run every 12 mins.

The trams have electronic indicator boards inside and announcements for each stop, just watch for Zoo. It is the 13th stop from the station and the journey takes 20mins. The Zoo gate is across the track on the opposite platform.

For the return journey exit the Zoo by the same gate and you are on the tram platform where you catch the city bound tram, #6 - Mensa. Leave the tram at Hauptbahnhof, go to the extreme right hand end of the tram platform and take the lift direct to platforms 1 & 2 for the train to Warnemunde.

Happy cruising, :) Anni

travelanni.webs.com

Anni,

Thank you so much for all your help. I have been reading your posts since last summer to prepare for our trip in July. I was hoping so much to take your tour of Rostock and have the chance to meet you, but I'm afraid it may not work out. We will be in Rostock on Friday, July 20th, and I see that you are leaving on a cruise on July 12th.

Am I correct to assume that you will not be back and giving tours on Friday the 20th?

If you are not there, is there someone else who gives tours of Rostock in English?

I see that many people are also visiting other towns in the area, but we don't want to be running around and worry about missing a train. I was wondering if there are enough things to do in Rostock for us to keep busy all day (we are in our 60's) and then return to Warnemunde and walk in that town for an hour or two?

I looked at your website and it is coming along very well. Congratulations! I will check it again once you have the chance to write the section about Rostock.

Thanks for all you do for us. Lise

Anni,

Thank you so much for all your help. I have been reading your posts since last summer to prepare for our trip in July. I was hoping so much to take your tour of Rostock and have the chance to meet you, but I'm afraid it may not work out. We will be in Rostock on Friday, July 20th, and I see that you are leaving on a cruise on July 12th.

Am I correct to assume that you will not be back and giving tours on Friday the 20th?

If you are not there, is there someone else who gives tours of Rostock in English?

I see that many people are also visiting other towns in the area, but we don't want to be running around and worry about missing a train. I was wondering if there are enough things to do in Rostock for us to keep busy all day (we are in our 60's) and then return to Warnemunde and walk in that town for an hour or two?

I looked at your website and it is coming along very well. Congratulations! I will check it again once you have the chance to write the section about Rostock.

Thanks for all you do for us. Lise

Hi Lise, thank you for your appreciation. It makes it all worthwhile.

The Rostock Historical Society will once again be offering the tours in English, the format has not been finalised as yet but is expected to be the same as last year - watch for it on the website. I am only one of the volunteers who do tours in English for the Society so they still happen when I am away.

I think you could find enough in Rostock and Warnemunde to fill a leisurely day. I have put the first draft of the Rostock page on site with web addresses for what to see and do. They only give general information but most of the sites belonging to the attractions themselves are in German. I am happy to answer any questions you may have after you have browsed them.

travelanni.webs.com

Is it difficult to change trains at Rostock? This July, our cruise ship (Celebrity Eclipse) arrives at the Warnemunde Cruise Terminal. We will walk to the train station in Warnemunde and take the train to Rostock. We need to change trains at Rostock for Lubeck. Is the Rostock station a big station? Is it difficult to switch from the train from Warnemunde to the train to Lubeck? We cannot read German.

Is it difficult to change trains at Rostock? This July, our cruise ship (Celebrity Eclipse) arrives at the Warnemunde Cruise Terminal. We will walk to the train station in Warnemunde and take the train to Rostock. We need to change trains at Rostock for Lubeck. Is the Rostock station a big station? Is it difficult to switch from the train from Warnemunde to the train to Lubeck? We cannot read German.

Hi,

Rostock is not a big station, 8 platforms, but I would advise that you take the 8:12 or at the latest 8:22 from Warnemünde if you are aiming for the 9:07 from Rostock. The advised timetable, ie 8:37 from Warnemünde, does not allow enough time if you are not familiar with the station. There is no need to be able to read German, important words are in three languages (German/English/French) and place names are the same.

The s-bahn from Warnemünde arrives on either track 1 or 2. Take the stairs 1 flight down to the main concourse. The electronic departure boards are on the walls on each side.

The train you require is the RE to Hamburg. Lübeck is not mentioned as there is no direct train, a change must be made in Bad Kleinen.

The departure time and track will be indicated, normally track 6. Take the elevator marked 3-6 or the central stairs up to the platform (level 0) If a different track is indicated (never happened as far as I can remember) take the appropriately numbered elevator or set of stairs. The platforms are clearly numbered and there are electronic indicator boards showing the departure time, destination and intermediate stops of the next train on each.

RE trains on which the Länder ticket is valid:-

Depart Rostock Hbf. 9:07, 11:07, 13:07

Arrive Bad Kleinen. 9:52, 11:52, 13:52

Change trains in Bad Kleinen - 5th stop on the route.

Take the stairs down into the tunnel. The Lübeck train usually departs from platform 3.

RE Bad Kleinen to Lübeck

Depart Bad Kleinen. 10:03, 12:03, 14:03

Arrive Lübeck Hbf. 10:54, 12:54, 14:54

To return to Warnemünde

RE trains on which the Länder ticket is valid:-

Depart Lubeck Hbf. 15:04, 17:04, 19:04

Change in Bad Kleinen

Arrive Rostock Hbf. 16:51, 18:51, 20:51

Take the s-bahn (every 15 mins) from platforms 1/2 to Warnemünde.

The rest of the information for Lubeck, along with that for Wismar, Bad Doberan, Hamburg and Berlin will appear on the web site during the next week or so but it is a huge job. Please bear with me. Thanks.

Happy cruising, :) Anni

travelanni.webs.com

• 2 weeks later...

We will be going to Rostock from Warnemunde. Which tram would I take after getting off the train to go to the historical sociey? Also how would I find the historical society? I would like to do that tour. Then we would like to go to the brewery and take the boat back to Warnemunde.

Thank you for all your info. It makes it easier to plan an outing with confidence.

HI Anni,

My wife and me will arrive on the Celebrity Constellation docking at Warnemunde at 9.30 AM on (Sunday) 3/6/12. After I have studied your helpful information from your thread.

My plan is

1. Take the S-bahn to Rostock for seightseeing and join the 1 hour walking tour orgainized by Historical Society. After that, we will visit Marienkirche to watch the astrological clock . At noon and midnight the innermost right door opens and six of the 12 apostles march out to parade around Jesus (Judas is locked out). and then walk back to Rockstock hbf

2. Take the 13.07 RE train to Schwerin and visit this city and catch the 15.53 train back to warnemunde.

My questions

1. You advised us to select single ride when we purchase lander ticket on line. Do you mean the return time to be open because it is valid for unlimited number of journey on day of validity and therefore we don't need to choose return trip

2. Do we need to buy a single ticket for tram to Rostock downtown from Rostockhbf after we have bought the lander ticket. If tram ticket is required, Can I buy in a tram and how much. If not, where ?

3. We take the RC train to Hamburg via Schwerin but how about vice versa (Is it the train to Rostock ?)

Cheers

Stephen:):)

We will be going to Rostock from Warnemunde. Which tram would I take after getting off the train to go to the historical sociey? Also how would I find the historical society? I would like to do that tour. Then we would like to go to the brewery and take the boat back to Warnemunde.

Thank you for all your info. It makes it easier to plan an outing with confidence.

Hi, the Historical Society is again running the 1hr walks, more details here and on the blog when they are finalised.

From the lower level of the Hauptbahnhof, tram platform A-City, take #5 or #6 to 'Kröpeliner Tor'. This is the 5th stop from Hbf. Cross the tracks at the lights and walk up the slope (or steps) to the tall brick tower. This is the Kröpeliner Tor, HQ of the Historical Society and starting point for the walk.

The information given out by certain cruise lines infers that the main Rostocker Brewery is open to the public which is not so. The only one in the city is the mini-brewery attached to the restaurant 'Alten Fritz' but I am not certain if they do tours. The other mini-brewery is out near the zoo, reachable by a 15min, #6 tram ride, tram stop "Zoo". They have a website in English

www.brauhaus-trotzenburg.eu/

If you do go to the brewery take the #6 tram back to the city, get off at Langestrasse and walk down the street opposite to the river, the boat dock is right there.

www.travelanni.webs.com

HI Anni,

My wife and me will arrive on the Celebrity Constellation docking at Warnemunde at 9.30 AM on (Sunday) 3/6/12. After I have studied your helpful information from your thread.

My plan is

1. Take the S-bahn to Rostock for seightseeing and join the 1 hour walking tour orgainized by Historical Society. After that, we will visit Marienkirche to watch the astrological clock . At noon and midnight the innermost right door opens and six of the 12 apostles march out to parade around Jesus (Judas is locked out). and then walk back to Rockstock hbf

2. Take the 13.07 RE train to Schwerin and visit this city and catch the 15.53 train back to warnemunde.

My questions

1. You advised us to select single ride when we purchase lander ticket on line. Do you mean the return time to be open because it is valid for unlimited number of journey on day of validity and therefore we don't need to choose return trip

2. Do we need to buy a single ticket for tram to Rostock downtown from Rostockhbf after we have bought the lander ticket. If tram ticket is required, Can I buy in a tram and how much. If not, where ?

3. We take the RC train to Hamburg via Schwerin but how about vice versa (Is it the train to Rostock ?)

Cheers

Stephen:):)

Hi Stephen,

1. Single ride is correct as the Lander ticket is a single ride, lasting all day! You are correct, the return (and any other rides you care to take during the day) are open. If you choose return you will not be given the Lander ticket option only standard tickets.

2. Yes, with a Lander ticket you do need a single ticket downtown from the Hbf. You can buy from the machines at Warnemunde, on the tram platform at the Hbf or on the tram. The ticket you require is a single costing 1.80€. The machines all have touch screens in English, just hit the British flag.

3. The return train from Schwerin is to Rostock, usually from platform 2.

Just a couple of observations if I may.

You are not allowing yourselves a great deal of time do the tour, see the clock and walk to the Hbf. There is very little to see between the Market Place and the Hbf. so maybe a return on the tram would be better, once again #s 5 & 6.

If it comes to choosing between seeing the clock and catching the train to Schwerin I would personally choose the latter! The astronomical clock itself is an incredible piece of machinery and very, very interesting but the movement of the figures is not as exciting as the cruise lines would have you believe and because of the publicity the church is extremely crowded with tour groups at mid-day so often you get a glimpse of the figures but cannot see the actual clock.

Maybe you would like to consider getting off the tram at Neuer Markt, visit the church to see the clock itself (minus the figures but also minus the crowds!) and then walk up the main pedestrian street to the Kröpeliner Tor to join the 11am Historical Society walk which often goes over the hour but will finish back at the Neuer Markt in plenty of time for you to catch the tram back to Hbf. Just a thought.

I notice that Constellation is not scheduled to sail until midnight so you could consider a later train back from Schwerin to Warnemünde. Your timetable only gives you one and a half hours in Schwerin and it takes at least 15 mins to walk to or from the station. It is such a lovely place and there is so much to see that it would be a pity to travel all that way and then not have enough time. The 17.53 (5.53pm) arrives in Rostock at 19.03 and the connection to Warnemünde arrives there at 19.36 (7.36pm) Even the 19.53 from Schwerin would get you back before 10pm.

Thanks for your appreciation, it makes it all worthwhile.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

We will be going to Rostock from Warnemunde.

Hi, I did not thank you for your appreciation, my apologies. A word of acknowledement makes it all worthwhile

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

We are taking our first Baltic cruise and have never been to Berlin. So we signed up for the all day free time in Berlin.. Now, we need advice on what to see, how to get there, and how to schedule these sights. My German is primitive, but passable. I have some problems with exended walking, but my wife is in top shape. We can afford to take cabs. We also like to eat well.

We will appreciates any advice you can give us.

Danke und Thank you

Hi Anni,

First, let me thank you for ALL your hard work providing so much information for us. :)

My inquiry is about Hamburg. We are looking into visiting the Miniatur Wunderland . I have written through the reservation section to get more information about 'group reservations', which they have, I haven't heard back.

My question is about how long it takes to tour ? I know everyone goes at their own pace, but just a general idea ? ( I know my husband will be there all day !! LOL :roll eyes: )

We want to plan our day to see more of Hamburg. There is a phone # I considered calling,but.. although my Dad was from Berlin, unfortunately my German is very minimal .

Danke for any help. my email zipcat@aol.com

Edited by Falcons07

Hi Anni,

First, let me thank you for ALL your hard work providing so much information for us. :)

My inquiry is about Hamburg. We are looking into visiting the Miniatur Wunderland . I have written through the reservation section to get more information about 'group reservations', which they have, I haven't heard back.

My question is about how long it takes to tour ? I know everyone goes at their own pace, but just a general idea ? ( I know my husband will be there all day !! LOL :roll eyes: )

We want to plan our day to see more of Hamburg. There is a phone # I considered calling,but.. although my Dad was from Berlin, unfortunately my German is very minimal .

Danke for any help. my email zipcat@aol.com

Hi, thanks for the appreciation. I love Hamburg and visit often but must confess to never having visited Miniatur Wonderland. Always meant to, maybe this year. I notice you have asked the queston elsewhere, hope a local or someone who has been can help.

Please look at your e-mails, I am sending one that might interest you.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

We are taking our first Baltic cruise and have never been to Berlin. So we signed up for the all day free time in Berlin.. Now, we need advice on what to see, how to get there, and how to schedule these sights. My German is primitive, but passable. I have some problems with exended walking, but my wife is in top shape. We can afford to take cabs. We also like to eat well.

We will appreciates any advice you can give us.

Danke und Thank you

Hi, Berlin is a big city and only a small part of what there is to do and see can be covered in one day so what you choose very much depends on your personal interests and what you feel are the 'must do's'. This website has some good ideas for visitors with limited time.

www.visitberlin.de/en/see/sightseeing

The Hop-on-hop-off buses cover all the major sights and start from the Hauptbahnhof (I assume that you are going by train) Cabs are a possibility but unless you know your way around, where the cab ranks are etc, I think you would spend a lot of time finding a cab and I personally would be a bit wary of getting 'taken for a ride' as it were. At least with the HOHO bus that cannot happen. There are some areas, Unter den Linden for example, where a large number of sights are within walking distance but once again it depends on your interests.

If you would like to give me a list of your 'must do's' I could work out a possible route or maybe another cruiser who has done Berlin independently in one day will be able to give you the benefit of their experience.

Sorry I can't be of much help but, although I am a confirmed DIY tourist, Berlin (because of the time limit) and St. Petersburg (because of the visa difficulties) are the two Baltic ports in which I would advise a guided tour, tailored to suit your interests, with one of the private companies recommended in these threads.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hi Anni,

Thank you for your brilliant advices. Acutally, I have planned to catch the 5.53 pm train back but by typing mistakes it said 15.53. When I select the return trip from DB bahn and result are as follows

Travel data

2 adults, 2nd class hinfahrt_grau_16x16.gif Outward journey

Station/StopDateTimeDurationChg.ProductsWarnemünde

Schwerin HbfSu, 03.06.12

Su, 03.06.12dep

arr10:37

12:031:261S, RErueckfahrt_grau_16x16.gifReturn journeyStation/StopDateTimeDurationChg.ProductsSchwerin Hbf

WarnemündeSu, 03.06.12

Su, 03.06.12dep

arr17:53

19:211:281RE, S

Your offers for the selected connection

zwei.gif Special fares 2 nd class

erledigt_gruen_16x16.gifMecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket Valid Mon-Fri as from 09:00 h, as from 0:00 h on Sat, Sun and public holidays. Valid for unlimited number of journeys on day of validity, regardless of connection shown. No exchanges, no refunds. 24,00 EUR

and it costs 24,00 Euro for return of 2 passengers. Is it correct ? I have 23more silly questions if you don't mind.

1.If I book the 10.37 train to Schwerin hbf from Warnemunde, can I leave Warnemunde earlier (to say 10 AM) and stop over at Rostock first and then to take 13.07 train to Schwerin. On the way back, can I postpone the time of leaving even though I book the 17.53 train.

2. My destination is Schwerin hbf,can I get off at Schwerin Mitt to visit the Schlosspark center shopping mall and leave at Schwerin hbf to Warnemunde.

3. If I buy single ticket from driver on the Rostock tram, Is the fare as same as I purchase from ticket machine

cheers

Stephen

Hi Anni,

Thank you for your brilliant advices. Acutally, I have planned to catch the 5.53 pm train back but by typing mistakes it said 15.53. When I select the return trip from DB bahn and result are as follows

Travel data

2 adults, 2nd class hinfahrt_grau_16x16.gif Outward journey

Station/StopDateTimeDurationChg.ProductsWarnemünde

Schwerin HbfSu, 03.06.12

Su, 03.06.12dep

arr10:37

12:031:261S, RErueckfahrt_grau_16x16.gifReturn journeyStation/StopDateTimeDurationChg.ProductsSchwerin Hbf

WarnemündeSu, 03.06.12

Su, 03.06.12dep

arr17:53

19:211:281RE, S

Your offers for the selected connection

zwei.gif Special fares 2 nd class

erledigt_gruen_16x16.gifMecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket Valid Mon-Fri as from 09:00 h, as from 0:00 h on Sat, Sun and public holidays. Valid for unlimited number of journeys on day of validity, regardless of connection shown. No exchanges, no refunds. 24,00 EUR

and it costs 24,00 Euro for return of 2 passengers. Is it correct ? I have 23more silly questions if you don't mind.

1.If I book the 10.37 train to Schwerin hbf from Warnemunde, can I leave Warnemunde earlier (to say 10 AM) and stop over at Rostock first and then to take 13.07 train to Schwerin. On the way back, can I postpone the time of leaving even though I book the 17.53 train.

2. My destination is Schwerin hbf,can I get off at Schwerin Mitt to visit the Schlosspark center shopping mall and leave at Schwerin hbf to Warnemunde.

3. If I buy single ticket from driver on the Rostock tram, Is the fare as same as I purchase from ticket machine

cheers

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

when you buy a Mecklenburg Lander ticket it is for a days travel in the whole of Mecklenburg, plus Hamburg and Lubeck, at any time on any local train, ie RE, RG or S-bahn. (These trains are all painted red as opposed to the IC trains on which the Lander ticket is not valid which are grey.)

The ticket costs 24euros for two people to travel all day, anywhere in Mecklenburg on the local (red) trains.

I know it sounds a bit too good to be true but, believe me, it is so. The beauty of these tickets is once you have printed them out all you have to do is hop on a red train and go wherever, whenever you wish all day. That one ticket will cover your plans ie Warnemunde to Rostock Hbf, Rostock Hbf to Schwerin and return from Schwerin to Warnemunde. The only extra you need is the tram tickets downtown.

1. So you do not need to book specific trains meaning that you can go into Rostock on any train using the Lander Ticket to the Hbf and a tram ticket downtown then return to the Hbf, take any RE train to Schwerin and return to Warnemunde from Schwerin on an RE at any time. The trains for which I have given the times are all RE services.

You have obviously got nearly there on the internet - on the page you quote you need to choose the second option 'Special fares - second class. Mecklenburg Vorpommern ticket'. As you can see from my highlight in the quote the times do not matter.

The difference between the two types of train is minimal, both modern, airconditioned and comfortable. Actually for seeing the countryside the RE is better as it is double-deck. However the difference in cost is substantial. On an IC Rostock - Schwerin would cost 40euros per person return for a journey time difference of only 2mins.

Hope this is now clear

2. With a Lander Ticket you can get on and off the train at any station, as many times as you like during the day.

3.You do not buy a ticket from the driver on the tram, there is a ticket machine on board, beside the door in the first car. The price is the same wherever you buy a ticket.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker