Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

I thought I had all my ports researched and my notes finalized and now I find out about the Seal training station!! To fill the day we had thought about going to the Rostock Zoo, but think we'll see Rostock town, come back to Warnemunde and take the ferry across and see the seals! Thanks for the information, Anni.

Lynn

Hi Lynn, I don't think you will be disappointed, I loved it. Have fun.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Thanks. Either I'm doing something wrong, or it's my lucky day! I used bahn.de, German without translation to English, and pulled up what I think is a roundtrip ticket using RE trains (although you have to transfer twice, in Rostock as Schwerin!) TO Berlin and ICE coming back. Here's what the notice gave me, although obviously in cutting and pasting, it's not coming out in very readable form:

Ihre Reisedaten

Hinfahrt Bahnhof/Haltestelle Datum Zeit Dauer Umst. Produkte

Warnemünde

Berlin Hbf So, 05.08.12

So, 05.08.12 ab

an 08:37

12:32 3:55 2 S, RE

Rückfahrt Bahnhof/Haltestelle Datum Zeit Dauer Umst. Produkte

Berlin Hbf (tief)

Warnemünde So, 05.08.12

So, 05.08.12 ab

an 18:13

20:42 2:29 0 ICE

Reisende

2 Erwachsene, 2. Klasse

Ihre Angebote für die gewählte Verbindung

Klasse

Verfügbare Angebote Konditionen Umtausch / Erstattung Preis für alle Reisenden*

Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket

Hinfahrt

Gültig für bis zu 5 gemeinsam reisende Personen, Sa. oder So. ab 0 Uhr. Gültig für beliebig viele Fahrten am Geltungstag, unabhängig von der angegebenen Verbindung. Umtausch und Erstattung ausgeschlossen. 69,00 EUR

Weiter

Sparpreis

Rückfahrt

Zugbindung, d.h. Ihre Fahrkarte ist nur in den auf Ihrer Fahrkarte aufgedruckten Zügen gültig. Umtausch und Erstattung 15 EUR; ab 1. Geltungstag ausgeschlossen.

----------

I'll be traveling Sun. Aug. 12, but since prices aren't listed yet for that date, I used the previous Sunday. I asked for hin und rundfahrt (sorry, spelling may be wrong) and 2 people. Am I missing something, or is it just my lucky day? Or is it just that I'm looking so far in advance that the price is fairly low for the ICE?

Hi, the tours are expensive as they are designed for Educational Groups such as schools etc. which usually have around 30 people in them and want an in-depth, lecture-type tour of the whole facility rather than just to watch the seals. It is not a tourism tour.

As described in their webpage (part of the main University site)

http://www.marine-science-center.de/frame/msc-frame_eng.html

the public are welcome to view the training etc from the sun deck of the facility. Monday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm, entry fee 6€ adults, 4€ children. There is no need to book.

It is a nice 10 min walk along the mole from the cross-river ferry and a fascinating experience to watch the seals working and interacting with the researchers.

Anni

Okay, this makes sense now. I guess if we had a larger group, the cost would be less per person but we are only 4 people. I guess we will stick to the public viewing and save 230Euros!

Are the seals all within site for the public to see or is there a "better" vs. a "not as good" time to visit to actually see them?

Thanks. Either I'm doing something wrong, or it's my lucky day! I used bahn.de, German without translation to English, and pulled up what I think is a roundtrip ticket using RE trains (although you have to transfer twice, in Rostock as Schwerin!) TO Berlin and ICE coming back. Here's what the notice gave me, although obviously in cutting and pasting, it's not coming out in very readable form:

Ihre Reisedaten

Hinfahrt Bahnhof/Haltestelle Datum Zeit Dauer Umst. Produkte

Warnemünde

Berlin Hbf So, 05.08.12

So, 05.08.12 ab

an 08:37

12:32 3:55 2 S, RE

Rückfahrt Bahnhof/Haltestelle Datum Zeit Dauer Umst. Produkte

Berlin Hbf (tief)

Warnemünde So, 05.08.12

So, 05.08.12 ab

an 18:13

20:42 2:29 0 ICE

Reisende

2 Erwachsene, 2. Klasse

Ihre Angebote für die gewählte Verbindung

Klasse

Verfügbare Angebote Konditionen Umtausch / Erstattung Preis für alle Reisenden*

Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket

Hinfahrt

Gültig für bis zu 5 gemeinsam reisende Personen, Sa. oder So. ab 0 Uhr. Gültig für beliebig viele Fahrten am Geltungstag, unabhängig von der angegebenen Verbindung. Umtausch und Erstattung ausgeschlossen. 69,00 EUR

Weiter

Sparpreis

Rückfahrt

Zugbindung, d.h. Ihre Fahrkarte ist nur in den auf Ihrer Fahrkarte aufgedruckten Zügen gültig. Umtausch und Erstattung 15 EUR; ab 1. Geltungstag ausgeschlossen.

----------

I'll be traveling Sun. Aug. 12, but since prices aren't listed yet for that date, I used the previous Sunday. I asked for hin und rundfahrt (sorry, spelling may be wrong) and 2 people. Am I missing something, or is it just my lucky day? Or is it just that I'm looking so far in advance that the price is fairly low for the ICE?

Hi, you are absolutely right but it is very unusual. I had been looking at the two journeys separately, it never occured to me to put it in as one journey (hin und rückfahrt) because, as I said, normally the two types of ticket are completely separate with no way to combine them. Must be a special deal for holiday time and to sell more seats on that Sunday ICE which is usually fairly quiet as the majority of travellers are people returning to Rostock after the weekend who don't want to pay the higher ICE standard single fare.

It is a VERY good deal so grab it ASAP.

Good luck

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Okay, this makes sense now. I guess if we had a larger group, the cost would be less per person but we are only 4 people. I guess we will stick to the public viewing and save 230Euros!

Are the seals all within site for the public to see or is there a "better" vs. a "not as good" time to visit to actually see them?

Hi, The cost is the same whatever the size of the group. What you are paying for is the time and expertise of a Marine Biologist and access to laboratories, research results etc. of no interest to the general public. As I said the group tours are not geared towards tourism.

I have no idea how many seals are working at any time or whether there is a better or worse time to see them except that they have a day off on Sunday although they are still on view, albeit doing their own thing. I just read the information, went along and enjoyed what I saw.

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Anni,

My mother was born in Straulsund and her family lived in Demmin for some period. They then moved to the Andernach area where she met my father who was stationed there after WW I in the Army of Occupation. I would like to visit both towns while our cruise is in Port for most of the folks to travel to Berlin. I have looked at you website which gives me information on travel by train to Straulsund but do not know how to get to Demmin or even if it is possible to do in one day. :)

Anni,

My mother was born in Straulsund and her family lived in Demmin for some period. They then moved to the Andernach area where she met my father who was stationed there after WW I in the Army of Occupation. I would like to visit both towns while our cruise is in Port for most of the folks to travel to Berlin. I have looked at you website which gives me information on travel by train to Straulsund but do not know how to get to Demmin or even if it is possible to do in one day. :)

Hi, I am happy to say that it is very easy to get from Stralsund to Demmin. There is an hourly train service and the travel time is about 45mins. Depending on the time you have in port it should be possible to visit both in the one day.

If you would care to give me the date you will be in Warnemunde and the name of your ship I can give you more details for a possible timetable, alternative routes etc.

Stralsund and Demmin are both within the Mecklenburg Lander Day Ticket area.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hi -

I'll be docking in Warnemunde in July. I'm confused as to which of these train stops in Rostok - Neuer Markt, Lange Strasse and Kröpeliner Tor - is the 'Central Station" that you mention?

Harry

Hello, I am wondering if you can help me. We are returning from the Princess cruise on June 17 and would like to know if the cruise arrives by 7 am, what time do you think we will be able to get to the train station of warnemuende.We would like to visit Rostock and then go to Berlin and wondered if I need to get the ticket for Berlin in advance ie., now or I can buy the tickets on the day of June 17 at the train station. Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards

Amy

Hi -

I'll be docking in Warnemunde in July. I'm confused as to which of these train stops in Rostok - Neuer Markt, Lange Strasse and Kröpeliner Tor - is the 'Central Station" that you mention?

Harry

Hi,

The train stop is Rostock Haupbahnhof (Hbf), the Central Station, where you change from the train to the tram (trolley/streetcar).

The other three, Neuer Markt, Lange Strasse and Kröpeliner Tor are the tram stops in the City. It does not matter which one you use, they are all around the edge of the central pedestrian area.

The Rostock page on my website gives details of how to get from Warnemünde to Rostock City.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hello, I am wondering if you can help me. We are returning from the Princess cruise on June 17 and would like to know if the cruise arrives by 7 am, what time do you think we will be able to get to the train station of warnemuende.We would like to visit Rostock and then go to Berlin and wondered if I need to get the ticket for Berlin in advance ie., now or I can buy the tickets on the day of June 17 at the train station. Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards

Amy

Hi,

The walk from P8 where your ships docks to the railway station is about 10mins. Trains depart Warnemünde for Rostock every 15 mins. (See website - Rostock page) but I would not be in too much of a rush as the shops in Rostock are not open on a Sunday and the museums, restaurants etc. do not open before 10am. Everything, including shops, in Warnemünde is open from 10am.

RE trains depart Rostock Hbf every two hours for Berlin direct (Berlin page).

The most economical option would be a Schönes Wochenende Ticket, 40€ for up to 5 travelling together, which you can buy at any time; on-line, from a machine, from a ticket office or on the train. They are unlimited and always available.

If you have a lot of luggage I would recommend a taxi from the ship to Rostock Hbf. There are plenty of good, safe lockers on Level -1 where you can leave your luggage whilst visiting the city. It would also be worth asking if your cruise line has a shuttle to Rostock Hbf. for departing passengers, some do.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker
Missed info

Hi Anni! Just wanted to let you know that I got our tix online for Rostock to Munich on Aug. 11. I was able to get 2-first class for 139€ - that was the special fare. Thanks again for helping me figure out the DB Bahn! :)

Hi Anni

So glad I found this thread. I visited your website and it was a wealth of information. I have a logistics question for you. We will be in Warnemude (Norwegian Sun) for almost 10 hours, but have opted not to go to Berlin. My daughter wants to see Schwerin (castle) and I want to do Bad Doberan (Molli train). Is it possible "time wise" to do both? Want to try and keep peace in the family. :-))

Kristy

Hi Anni

So glad I found this thread. I visited your website and it was a wealth of information. I have a logistics question for you. We will be in Warnemude (Norwegian Sun) for almost 10 hours, but have opted not to go to Berlin. My daughter wants to see Schwerin (castle) and I want to do Bad Doberan (Molli train). Is it possible "time wise" to do both? Want to try and keep peace in the family. :-))

Kristy

Hi Kristy, thank you for your appreciation.

Although there is no direct train between Schwerin and Bad Doberan, you must change in either Wismar or Rostock, it would be possible to 'keep the peace' :) as the DB trains co-ordinate well with the Molli.

Suggested Itinerary.

Dep. Rostock Hbf. 9:07 Arr. Schwerin Hbf 10:03

Dep. Schwerin Hbf. 14:46 - Change in Wismar - Arr. Bad Doberan 16:29

Dep. Bad Doberan on the Molli 16:36 for round trip to Kuhlungsborn and return to Bad Doberan at 18:21

Dep. Bad Doberan 18:30 - Arr. Rostock Hbf 18:51

Dep Rostock Hbf 19:01 or 19:16 - Arr. Warnemunde 19:21 or 19:36

Or if you prefer more time in Schwerin and a later return to Warnemunde

Dep. Schwerin Hbf 15:53 - Change in Rostock Hbf. - Arr. Bad Doberan 17:27

Dep. Bad Doberan on the Molli 17:36 for round trip to Kuhlungsborn and return to Bad Doberan at 19:21

Dep. Bad Doberan 19:30 - Arr. Rostock Hbf 19:51

Dep Rostock Hbf 20:01 or 20:16 - Arr. Warnemunde 20:21 or 20:36

The changes in both Wismar and Bad Doberan are simply cross-platform. In Rostock the change is from platform 6 to platform 10 but there are 15 mins between trains.

I hope this makes sense to you !

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni

You are awesome! I would have been thrilled with a yes or no answer, but to get an itinerary as well is the best!

thanks so much, and yes it does make sense.

Kristy

Hi Kristy, thank you for your appreciation.

Although there is no direct train between Schwerin and Bad Doberan, you must change in either Wismar or Rostock, it would be possible to 'keep the peace' :) as the DB trains co-ordinate well with the Molli.

Suggested Itinerary.

Dep. Rostock Hbf. 9:07 Arr. Schwerin Hbf 10:03

Dep. Schwerin Hbf. 14:46 - Change in Wismar - Arr. Bad Doberan 16:29

Dep. Bad Doberan on the Molli 16:36 for round trip to Kuhlungsborn and return to Bad Doberan at 18:21

Dep. Bad Doberan 18:30 - Arr. Rostock Hbf 18:51

Dep Rostock Hbf 19:01 or 19:16 - Arr. Warnemunde 19:21 or 19:36

Or if you prefer more time in Schwerin and a later return to Warnemunde

Dep. Schwerin Hbf 15:53 - Change in Rostock Hbf. - Arr. Bad Doberan 17:27

Dep. Bad Doberan on the Molli 17:36 for round trip to Kuhlungsborn and return to Bad Doberan at 19:21

Dep. Bad Doberan 19:30 - Arr. Rostock Hbf 19:51

Dep Rostock Hbf 20:01 or 20:16 - Arr. Warnemunde 20:21 or 20:36

The changes in both Wismar and Bad Doberan are simply cross-platform. In Rostock the change is from platform 6 to platform 10 but there are 15 mins between trains.

I hope this makes sense to you !

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni....this thread has been so informative I don't even have any questions - I just want to thank you for your assistance! Initially I was "indifferent" about Warnemunde given I knew we were not going to Berlin (visiting post cruise) but now I am quite excited and this is one of the ports I am most looking forward to! I know we are going to have a great day and can't wait to enjoy your region!!

Lydia from Canada

Anni....this thread has been so informative I don't even have any questions - I just want to thank you for your assistance! Initially I was "indifferent" about Warnemunde given I knew we were not going to Berlin (visiting post cruise) but now I am quite excited and this is one of the ports I am most looking forward to! I know we are going to have a great day and can't wait to enjoy your region!!

Lydia from Canada

Amazing website Anni!! Thank you so much :))

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk 2

Many thanks to you both for your appreciation, it makes it all worthwhile. I hope you enjoy your visit to Germany as much as I enjoy living here.

Warnemunde is a bit neglected as a destination, most cruisers just pass through en-route to somewhere else but it is a lovely little place and so different to all the other ports in the Baltic which are cities. If you are 'citied-out' so to speak it can make a welcome break.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Many thanks to you both for your appreciation, it makes it all worthwhile. I hope you enjoy your visit to Germany as much as I enjoy living here.

Warnemunde is a bit neglected as a destination, most cruisers just pass through en-route to somewhere else but it is a lovely little place and so different to all the other ports in the Baltic which are cities. If you are 'citied-out' so to speak it can make a welcome break.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Well, I "thought" I didn't have any questions but now I do have one. I was trying to buy my Lander ticket yesterday and no matter what I tried, the site will not accept the format of my phone number! A Canadian number is 10 digits - 11 including country code. Has anyone else had this problem? It won't let me proceed with the purchase.

Well, I "thought" I didn't have any questions but now I do have one. I was trying to buy my Lander ticket yesterday and no matter what I tried, the site will not accept the format of my phone number! A Canadian number is 10 digits - 11 including country code. Has anyone else had this problem? It won't let me proceed with the purchase.

Hi, I hope someone can give you a difinitive answer here. The system accepts my cell phone number which is 11 digits.

A few suggestions, please forgive me if you have already tried them.

Try using your cell phone number without the country code. I am told that the first four digits in a cell number are unique to that country.

If your area code has a leading zero, drop it.

Do not use spaces between numbers.

Really any number would do, the chances of them using it are virtually nil.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hi, I am happy to say that it is very easy to get from Stralsund to Demmin. There is an hourly train service and the travel time is about 45mins. Depending on the time you have in port it should be possible to visit both in the one day.

If you would care to give me the date you will be in Warnemunde and the name of your ship I can give you more details for a possible timetable, alternative routes etc.

Stralsund and Demmin are both within the Mecklenburg Lander Day Ticket area.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni,

Will arrive on Holland American Eurodam at 0700 May 24. Need to get a party of 4 from the ship to Stralsund and return. Am not going to visit Demmin as found out the building I wanted to visit is no longer there. Would like to know a good timetable to travel and spend some time and return in plenty of time to return to the ship which departs at 2300 on May 24. Thank you very much.

Anni,

Will arrive on Holland American Eurodam at 0700 May 24. Need to get a party of 4 from the ship to Stralsund and return. Am not going to visit Demmin as found out the building I wanted to visit is no longer there. Would like to know a good timetable to travel and spend some time and return in plenty of time to return to the ship which departs at 2300 on May 24. Thank you very much.

Hi, HAL gives its passengers the longest time in Germany of any line. You have plenty of time to explore Stralsund and enjoy the evening in Warnemunde if you so wish.

RE (red, Regional Express) trains on which the Lander ticket is valid depart Rostock every two hours from 9:01 for the 54min journey to Stralsund.

RE trains return from Stralsund at 14:00, 16:00, 18:00, 20:00. The s-bahn service runs from Rostock to Warnemunde every 15 mins.

Suggested Itinerary.

Dep Warnemunde 8:12 or 8:22 (you will need single local transport tickets, 1.80pp, for the s-bahn as the Lander ticket is not valid until 9:00)

Dep. Rostock Hbf 9:01 Arrive Stralsund Hbf 9:55

Dep. Stralsund Hbf 16:00 or 18:00 Arr. Rostock Hbf 16:54 or 18:54

Dep. Rostock Hbf 17:16 or 19:16 Arr. Warnemunde 17:36 or 19:36

The Mecklenburg Lander Ticket would cost 30 euros for 4 persons and cover all the trains except the first s-bahn

As you can see this itinerary would give you 6-8 hours in Stralsund and most of the evening to spend in Warnemunde. If you prefer a leisurely morning you could take the 11:01 from Rostock and still have 6 hours in Stralsund.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, I hope someone can give you a difinitive answer here. The system accepts my cell phone number which is 11 digits.

A few suggestions, please forgive me if you have already tried them.

Try using your cell phone number without the country code. I am told that the first four digits in a cell number are unique to that country.

If your area code has a leading zero, drop it.

Do not use spaces between numbers.

Really any number would do, the chances of them using it are virtually nil.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni....I tried again and was still not having any luck (just using 11 digits no spaces) so I looked up any German phone number on a few websites and they started with "0" so I changed the first digit to zero and then it accepted it. I have no explanation, but oh well...I have my tickets!

Hi Anni,

I have followed your instruction and try to book mecklenburg vorpommern ticket. However, at the Ticket & Reservation column. Which one I have to select A) I wish to log in... B)I wish to register....C) I wish to book w/o logging in

• Ticket&Reservation
  • Payment
  • Booking
  • Confirmation

Booking dataRostock Hbf

Schwerin HbfSu, 03.06.201209:07Total price 24,00 EUR Your ticketOne-Way Ticket, 2 adults, 2nd class, Rostock Hbf - Schwerin Hbf

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket

Valid Mon-Fri as from 09:00 h, as from 0:00 h on Sat, Sun and public holidays. Valid for unlimited number of journeys on day of validity, regardless of connection shown. No exchanges, no refunds. 24,00 EUR Total price24,00 EURTicket typeOnline-Ticket (for self printing)

I wish to log in and book User name Password Forgotten your login data? I wish to register for the first time and book

• Use the exclusive services in "Meine Bahn", e.g. save your travel profile.
  • Retrieve your points level at any time
  • Book online tickets for another person.
  • Benefit from useful information about your destination collected in your travel folder.
  • Redeem eCoupon vouchers when booking.

I wish to book without logging in

• Continue booking without logging in
  • Please note that payment may not be made via direct debit in this case.
  • You can log in again following your booking.

Continue booking

Back

Thank you for your help

regards

Stephen

Hi Anni,

I have followed your instruction and try to book mecklenburg vorpommern ticket. However, at the Ticket & Reservation column. Which one I have to select A) I wish to log in... B)I wish to register....C) I wish to book w/o logging in

• Ticket&Reservation
  • Payment
  • Booking
  • Confirmation

Booking dataRostock Hbf

Schwerin HbfSu, 03.06.201209:07Total price 24,00 EUR Your ticketOne-Way Ticket, 2 adults, 2nd class, Rostock Hbf - Schwerin Hbf

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket

Valid Mon-Fri as from 09:00 h, as from 0:00 h on Sat, Sun and public holidays. Valid for unlimited number of journeys on day of validity, regardless of connection shown. No exchanges, no refunds. 24,00 EUR Total price24,00 EURTicket typeOnline-Ticket (for self printing)

I wish to log in and book User name Password Forgotten your login data? I wish to register for the first time and book

• Use the exclusive services in "Meine Bahn", e.g. save your travel profile.
  • Retrieve your points level at any time
  • Book online tickets for another person.
  • Benefit from useful information about your destination collected in your travel folder.
  • Redeem eCoupon vouchers when booking.

I wish to book without logging in

• Continue booking without logging in
  • Please note that payment may not be made via direct debit in this case.
  • You can log in again following your booking.

Continue booking

Back

Thank you for your help

regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen! I just managed to successfully buy my ticket on -line, and as a one time purchaser I went with "book without logging in". I assume you would only bother creating an account if you were a frequent purchaser to avoid typing in your info each time. You get an email right away with your ticket attatched by PDF and in the event something happens to that email before you print, you have a confirmation number which you can use to search and retrieve your order again if necessary.

Lydia

Edited by Weluv2cruise2007