Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi Anni,

Your many posts and explantions are super.

We arrive on the Eurodam on 15 August...probably not going to Berlin...will spend the day in Warnermunde and/or Rostok.

Do you know of any places with free WiFi in Warnermunde? In Rostok?

Is there a McDonalds in either city? I don't want to eat there, but around the world McDonalds has free WiFi internet access.

Also having free WiFi is Starbucks.

Thanks, Steve in San Diego California

Dear Sdadolf,

I am working for the tourism board Warnemuende/ Rostock at their branch located directly at the cruise terminal in Warnemuende. Regards to your inquiery of WiFi connection within Warnemuende/ Rostock there are only 2 locations in Warnemuende:

High Speed FREE HOTSPOT: Salsarico - Mexican Restaurant (Am Leuchtturm)

HOTSPOT (fee of € 1,90 for 1/2 hour): Guido´s Coffeebar (Kirchenplatz)

Unfortunately you would need to have a german cell phone number to access the WiFi network of McDonalds. That´s the information I found on their website.

I would suggest you come and see me at the desk of the tourist information located in the building of PIER 7 (next to the cruise terminal). I am more than happy to give you detailled information and a map with the exact location.

Happy to seeing you upon arrival at the port of Warnemuende!

Brit

Dear Sdadolf,

I am working for the tourism board Warnemuende/ Rostock at their branch located directly at the cruise terminal in Warnemuende. Regards to your inquiery of WiFi connection within Warnemuende/ Rostock there are only 2 locations in Warnemuende:

High Speed FREE HOTSPOT: Salsarico - Mexican Restaurant (Am Leuchtturm)

HOTSPOT (fee of € 1,90 for 1/2 hour): Guido´s Coffeebar (Kirchenplatz)

Unfortunately you would need to have a german cell phone number to access the WiFi network of McDonalds. That´s the information I found on their website.

I would suggest you come and see me at the desk of the tourist information located in the building of PIER 7 (next to the cruise terminal). I am more than happy to give you detailled information and a map with the exact location.

Happy to seeing you upon arrival at the port of Warnemuende!

Brit

Thank you for the information Brit...I definitely will stop by to see you.

-- Steve

Hi -

Can you tell us how to take the train to Schweriner Castle? We're on the Norwegian Sun, and there 25 Aug.

Thank you!

Hi, The ship berths in Warnemünde literally alongside the railway line and from the gate to the station platform is a 5 minute walk. Trains depart every 15 mins and arrive Rostock Central station 20 mins later.

Trains depart Rostock Hbf for Schwerin Hbf every two hours from 9.07am and depart Schwerin every two hours up to 7.53pm. The trip takes just under 1 hour. The Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid for these trains. (€20 for one person plus €3 for each additional person up to 5, travel all day)

Schwerin is a very compact town and ideally suited to walking. There is a tram system but to take a tram would be to miss a great deal of the older city and you would still have a walk to the castle. The walk from the train station to the castle (about 15mins direct) takes you past one of the many lakes and through the pedestrian only area with the Dom, the Market Place etc - as well as old streets with beautiful buildings, interesting shops and pavement cafes. From the castle itself it is a 10 min walk to the modern shopping centre and trams back to the station.

Changing trains in Rostock is quite simple. The s-bahn from Warnemünde arrives on tracks 1/2. Take the stairs 1 flight down to the main concourse. The electronic departure boards are on the walls on each side. The train you require is the RE to Hamburg, via Schwerin. The departure time and track will be indicated, normally track 6. Take the elevator marked 3-6 up to the platform (level 0) If a different track is indicated (never happened as far as I can remember) take the appropriately numbered elevator. The platforms are clearly numbered and there are electronic indicator boards showing the departure time, destination and intermediate stops of the next train on each.

If you intend to use a Mecklenburg Lander ticket and take the 9.07am to Schwerin you will require a single journey Rostock local transport ticket between Warnemünde and Rostock (€1.70) as the Lander ticket is not valid until 9am.

Once in Schwerin go out the main station entrance, cross the square to the small street in the far right hand corner, go left down to the lake, turn right and follow the waterfront (about 200m) until you come to a restaurant on the left and a pedestrian street on the right. You are now in the tourist area and from here all the attractions are clearly signposted.

The following web site is worth browsing:-

www.schwerin.com/english

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

The Rostock Tour by members of the Historical Society are great value at €5 per person. The lady who took us round was delightful and spent well over the 1.5 hours originally agreed. We found out loads of information on Rostock and little alleys and buildings we would never have found on our own. She is Australian so speaks perfect English. If you need any more info contact me on peterhlord@yahoo.co.uk

The Rostock Tour by members of the Historical Society are great value at €5 per person. The lady who took us round was delightful and spent well over the 1.5 hours originally agreed. We found out loads of information on Rostock and little alleys and buildings we would never have found on our own. She is Australian so speaks perfect English. If you need any more info contact me on peterhlord@yahoo.co.uk

I think that would be Anni, the original starter of this thread! :D;):)

I think that would be Anni, the original starter of this thread! :D;):)

I've been following this thread and reading from the very beginning, and this last two posts are hilarious. Anni's been the person giving all the advise on this thread and it's so funny to see a reference to the "delightful Australian lady who speaks perfect English".

Anni, I'm so looking forward to meeting you. I hope I don't get lost with everything I've printed out!;):D

I've been following this thread and reading from the very beginning, and this last two posts are hilarious. Anni's been the person giving all the advise on this thread and it's so funny to see a reference to the "delightful Australian lady who speaks perfect English".

Anni, I'm so looking forward to meeting you. I hope I don't get lost with everything I've printed out!;):D

Ooops, it's me again. We'll be there on the Rotterdam on August 17.

Anni, who volunteers with the Rostock Historical Society does value for money 1.5 to 2 hour tours for a small charge - her e-mail is in this thread near the top. She is a delightful English/Australian lady who knows everything about Rostock and her tours take you to all the interesting corners of the town that you would not visit on an organised ship tour. Well worth searching out - otherwise be at the tower in Rostock at 10.30 or 2pm daily.

do you know where the ship docks and how we get from the ship to takie the train. We are not going to berlin, just want to take the train ride you recommended. Also what else do you recommend for 2 seniors. I have a walker, but can walk far with it. what is the cost of the train. Our cruise leaves copenhagen on august 31st so will be in Germany beginning of September.

Can not wait.

Lynn:o

And also for us, Celebrity Eclipse, 16 August, please

I believe the Eclipse is docking in Rostock, not Warnemunde. so the directions are not quite as given. As I understand it is a walk from the ship to the train station Seehafen Nord, catch a train from there to Rostock hbf train station and then switch trains to Schwerin.

I believe the Eclipse is docking in Rostock, not Warnemunde. so the directions are not quite as given. As I understand it is a walk from the ship to the train station Seehafen Nord, catch a train from there to Rostock hbf train station and then switch trains to Schwerin.

According to the official Port of Rostock schedule on the 16th August Celebrity Eclipse is docking at P8, Warnemuende and Celebrity Constellation at L41,Port of Rostock.

Celebrity usually runs a shuttle bus to Warnemuende when their ships dock in the Port of Rostock.

Otherwise the directions for catching a train to Rostock Hbf are as kruzgal says.

do you know where the ship docks and how we get from the ship to takie the train. We are not going to berlin, just want to take the train ride you recommended. Also what else do you recommend for 2 seniors. I have a walker, but can walk far with it. what is the cost of the train. Our cruise leaves copenhagen on august 31st so will be in Germany beginning of September.

Can not wait.

Lynn:o

Hi, Your ship docks at P8 in Warnemünde, literally alongside the railway line and from the gate to the station platform is a 5 minute walk. Turn right out of the terminal gate, walk about 200 yds along the quay, turn left into the walkway through the underpass and you are on the station.

The cost from Warnemünde to Rostock is 1.70euros each way. This covers both the train and the tram. There is no such thing as a return ticket, you must buy two singles or a day ticket for 4.50euros.

Rostock is a place to walk and admire the architecture. Visits to the Marienkirche, the Kropeliner Tor and the museum in the Convent of the Holy Cross are worthwhile.

According to the official Port of Rostock schedule on the 16th August Celebrity Eclipse is docking at P8, Warnemuende and Celebrity Constellation at L41,Port of Rostock.

Celebrity usually runs a shuttle bus to Warnemuende when their ships dock in the Port of Rostock.

Otherwise the directions for catching a train to Rostock Hbf are as kruzgal says.

Thanks so much - you are right! I checked this months ago and I am sure Eclipse was docking in Rostock. So happy we are in Warnemunde as it seems that bit easier. Now I will have to print off new train times and directions!

Dear Anni,

My wife and I come to Warnemunde on the Emerald Princess on Wed 10th August. Will you be offering any type of tour of Warnemunde and/or Rostock? We do not want to go to Berlin, too long a trip and too tiring. We would like some beautiful scenery, some walking and sightseeing, but we are a little uncomfortable trying to navigate all the buses, trains and trams on our own! Bryan (drbryan@drjick.com). Thanks!

If so, how can we join your group? Bryan

Dear Anni,

My wife and I come to Warnemunde on the Emerald Princess on Wed 10th August. Will you be offering any type of tour of Warnemunde and/or Rostock? We do not want to go to Berlin, too long a trip and too tiring. We would like some beautiful scenery, some walking and sightseeing, but we are a little uncomfortable trying to navigate all the buses, trains and trams on our own! Bryan (drbryan@drjick.com). Thanks!

If so, how can we join your group? Bryan

Hi, the Historical Society offers a city walking tour at 10.30am and 2pm starting at the Kropeliner Gate. There is no need to book.

Sorry but I do not know of anyone offering more comprehensive tours in English apart from those offered by the ships. Maybe another cruiser can help.

BTW I do not personally 'offer' guided tours. I'm just a member of the Historical Society who, like many other members, volunteers my time and knowledge to welcome visitors to the Kropeliner Tor, answer questions about local history and guide themed walks around Rostock for both interested citizens and visitors. As the only native English speaker I act as the contact with English-speaking visitors and guide the walks offered in English.

Anni

Hi Anni!

My husband and I love to try local cuisine. We will be in Rostock around lunch time and Warnemunde for dinner. Do you have any suggestions for some great places for food? Thanks!

I don't know if you missed this question but I'd really like to know about restaurant options. Thanks so much!

I don't know if you missed this question but I'd really like to know about restaurant options. Thanks so much!

I did see your question and posted a lengthy and quite detailed reply on 5th August. As always, I checked and it was submitted. Now for some reason it, along with a couple more posts, has disappeared. I think this is due to the erroneous perception that I am a paid tour guide which I definitely am not. Please see my other post of 5th August for an explanation of my status. I cannot reply at the moment but will try and remember what I wrote later. Maybe cruisers who have eaten in Rostock/Warnemunde would like to post their experience.

Hi Anni,

I´ve been to the Hanse Sail in Stadthafen and Warnemuende yesterday.

What a great event.

I really went on Marlon Brandos footprints on HMS Bounty!

Really amazing.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Glad you enjoyed Rostock's Premier Event. We have another day left to enjoy. We look forward to welcoming everyone again next year!

Edited by rostocker
Hanse Sail.

Anni

First let me say thanks for all the info you have already posted. It's been a huge help

I hoping you can answer a question for me about the Molli train. I'm planning to go directly to Bad Doberan by bus and take the Molli train. My question is once I get to Kuhlungsborn, is there a rail or bus connection back to Rostock. I rather not spend the time looking at the same scenery going back on the Molli

If so , can you give me details including the zone information I need for my ticket (I will be getting the 1 day ticket)

Thanks