Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Anni

First let me say thanks for all the info you have already posted. It's been a huge help

I hoping you can answer a question for me about the Molli train. I'm planning to go directly to Bad Doberan by bus and take the Molli train. My question is once I get to Kuhlungsborn, is there a rail or bus connection back to Rostock. I rather not spend the time looking at the same scenery going back on the Molli

If so , can you give me details including the zone information I need for my ticket (I will be getting the 1 day ticket)

Thanks

Hi, thanks for your appreciation.

There is a bus connection from Kühlungsborn back to Rostock, #121.

Departs Kühlungsborn Bahnhof West (the Molli station); 2.55pm, 4.55pm, 6.55pm, 7.55pm.

Journey time is about 1hr 15mins.

If you intend to have a look around Rostock on the way back the best stop to get off is Rostock, Deutsche Med-Platz. From there it is a 3min walk to the Kröpeliner Tor and the top end of the city. The bus terminates at Central Station.

The day ticket you need is Rostock+4 zones =7.80 for 1 person or 23.40 for a group (up to 5 persons). This would cover:

Bus - Warnemünde to Bad Doberan

Bus - Kühlungsborn to Rostock

Tram+train - Rostock to Warnemünde.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Anni

Thanks for the info but while I was waiting I was looking around for info and found the 121 route and timetable. I simply do not understand the zones for the fares. Many people have posted that the fares to Bad Doberan from Rostock all day ticket is 7.80. I checked their ticket info - shows Rostock as zone 3 and Bad Doberan as 8. Somehow that works out to Rostock + 4 (their site shows the 7.80 fare)

When I put in Kuhlungsborn, I now have zones 3 for Rostock and Zone 10 for Kuhlungsborn and they show the day ticket as 10.80 or 9.30 depending on which Rostock Area I use (even though they all say zone 3)

Since I cannot read German, I have a step by step guide for buying the ticket from the machine in Warnemuende to Bad Doberan. It says my zone info will be 4004

What should the zone info be to include the trip back from Kuhlungsborn and should it be the 10.8 fare or is the 7.8 ticket sufficient

Also it appears there is a newer schedule with route 121 buses every hour http://www.rvk-rostock.de/Regio.17.0.html

Am I reading this correctly ?

Thanks Again

Hi, thanks for your appreciation.

There is a bus connection from Kühlungsborn back to Rostock, #121.

Departs Kühlungsborn Bahnhof West (the Molli station); 2.55pm, 4.55pm, 6.55pm, 7.55pm.

Journey time is about 1hr 15mins.

If you intend to have a look around Rostock on the way back the best stop to get off is Rostock, Deutsche Med-Platz. From there it is a 3min walk to the Kröpeliner Tor and the top end of the city. The bus terminates at Central Station.

The day ticket you need is Rostock+4 zones =7.80 for 1 person or 23.40 for a group (up to 5 persons). This would cover:

Bus - Warnemünde to Bad Doberan

Bus - Kühlungsborn to Rostock

Tram+train - Rostock to Warnemünde.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Anni

Thanks for the info but while I was waiting I was looking around for info and found the 121 route and timetable. I simply do not understand the zones for the fares. Many people have posted that the fares to Bad Doberan from Rostock all day ticket is 7.80. I checked their ticket info - shows Rostock as zone 3 and Bad Doberan as 8. Somehow that works out to Rostock + 4 (their site shows the 7.80 fare)

When I put in Kuhlungsborn, I now have zones 3 for Rostock and Zone 10 for Kuhlungsborn and they show the day ticket as 10.80 or 9.30 depending on which Rostock Area I use (even though they all say zone 3)

Since I cannot read German, I have a step by step guide for buying the ticket from the machine in Warnemuende to Bad Doberan. It says my zone info will be 4004

What should the zone info be to include the trip back from Kuhlungsborn and should it be the 10.8 fare or is the 7.8 ticket sufficient

Also it appears there is a newer schedule with route 121 buses every hour http://www.rvk-rostock.de/Regio.17.0.html

Am I reading this correctly ?

Thanks Again

I have checked with my neighbour who uses the bus all the time. She tells me that you count the number of zones through which you have to travel to work out the tariff.

This works out at 3 zones for Bad Doberan and 5 zones for Kühlungsborn. So, according to her, the correct tariff for a day ticket to include the furthest point, ie Kühlungsborn, would be 9.30 for 1 person and 27.90 for a group. I'm pretty sure she would be right but, just in case, I will check with the ticket office tomorrow.

If you want to travel from Kühlungsborn to Rostock direct you read the schedule for bus 121 starting at the bottom in order to find those which terminate at Rostock ZOB. I think you will find that the buses which I mentioned are the only ones which do so. The 3.55pm runs only on school days and involves a change in Bad Doberan. The service is the same week-days and week-ends. This info is from the timetable I received Monday from RvK and which came into effect yesterday.

I will let you know the result of my enquiries and explain how to buy the ticket from the new machines which have touch screens in English.

Anni :)

Wow, this is one of the best treads I have ever seen for a place. Thanks Anni and for others who have contributed. I have feel so knowledgeable on the train service!

I don't really have a specific question, but I will share what we have planned for next summer. To break up all of the cultural touring, I'm taking the kids to the Wonnemar Wismar water park. I have not seen this brought up anywhere on Cruise Critic but it looks like lots of fun (even for me, Dad, who is a big kid himself). They have a 3.5 hour family pass that is the right amount of time I would want to spend. There are other things to do there too, such as a spa, which I think many people would enjoy. Here's the link to the website, and if you run it through Google Translate, the English translation is pretty good: http://www.wonnemar.de/wismar/index.html. We plan on taking the train to Wismar (arriving at 10:15am), then taking a taxi 3km to the water park. Taxis should be available at the train station, correct? Then we will walk back towards the city center and explore Wismar. I haven't seen mentioned a good walking route in Wismar to see the best buildings, can anyone suggest one? Afterwards, we'll take the train to Rostock, walk around there and have a nice German beer or two, then take the train back to Warnemunde. If we have the energy, perhaps an evening stroll in Warnemunde. It will be a fun filled day and fortunately we have a sea day the following day to recuperate.

Well I think you will have a wonderful time! I enjoy european swimming pools and this one looks delightful. I am a big fan of the sprudelbad and I'm sure this one has the lounge chairs in the effervesent water. You can even have your lunch there. I have found that several water parks have had excellent restaurants and the food was great.

I can't help you with your walking tour of Wismar, we just parked the car outside of town and walked the "Altstadt" and found our way out again. We left through this gothic/roman arch to get to the harbour area. Another lunch tip is to walk to the harbour area and there will be boats there selling fish sandwiches that you can walk around and look at the development going on. A hint on getting around the old city is to look for the brown sign posts, you can see on on the far side of the piggy bridge 'Schweinebruecke' near the church. It will be a fun day and I'm sure you'll be tired by the time you get back to Warnemunde!

• 3 weeks later...
Anni, Thanks so much! I can be reached at

Sue

Hi Anni,

I hope Homer was able to reach you before you made the trip to Warnemunde.

We so enjoyed our time with you in Schwerin and Ludwigslust. Bob was so happy to have visited his town and we loved your new home. Thanks for sharing this wonderful town with us. I hope other cruisers can enjoy this experience.

Thanks,

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anni,

We wanted to give you a huge thank you for all your help! We went to Schwerin in late August. We bought the lander ticket on the internet before we left the states and with your help we got from Warnemunde to Schwerin and back easily. We loved Schwerin-the pretty lake near the train station, the Dom, the town square, and of course the beautiful castle! We ate in the Cafe Orangerie and enjoyed it very much! We also got a chance to spend a few hours in Warnemunde which was very nice too. I just wanted you to know that all your patience and very clear advice made a very positive difference in our vacation!

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi Anni,

We wanted to give you a huge thank you for all your help! We went to Schwerin in late August. We bought the lander ticket on the internet before we left the states and with your help we got from Warnemunde to Schwerin and back easily. We loved Schwerin-the pretty lake near the train station, the Dom, the town square, and of course the beautiful castle! We ate in the Cafe Orangerie and enjoyed it very much! We also got a chance to spend a few hours in Warnemunde which was very nice too. I just wanted you to know that all your patience and very clear advice made a very positive difference in our vacation!

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi Nancy, your thanks and kind words are very much appreciated. When I started all this I never guessed it would snowball like it has, over 15,000 hits and I have written over 200 replies. But messages like yours make it all worthwhile. Thanks to all those CC readers who dropped by to say hello while they were in Rostock (caused some comments from my colleagues about how 'famous' I am!) and a special thanks to those with whom I spent time in Rostock, Schwerin and Ludwigslust.

Hope to be a cruiser myself next year, we are planning a visit to Iceland so any advice etc. would be welcome. Meanwhile I'm off on a cargo ship again next month.

Happy planning and cruising :)

Anni

Our family of four will be visiting Lubeck next July. Our cruise ship docks in Warnemunde and we will take the train to Lubeck. Unfortunately, we only have 4 hours to spend in Lubeck. We arrive at 1pm and have to leave on the 5pm train back to Warnemunde. What route/itinerary do you think we should take to get a "flavour" of Lubeck? Thanks for your help.

Our family of four will be visiting Lubeck next July. Our cruise ship docks in Warnemunde and we will take the train to Lubeck. Unfortunately, we only have 4 hours to spend in Lubeck. We arrive at 1pm and have to leave on the 5pm train back to Warnemunde. What route/itinerary do you think we should take to get a "flavour" of Lubeck? Thanks for your help.

Hi,

There is a lot of information and a very good map on the tourism web site (enlarged to 150% it is very clear) www.luebeck-tourism.de/

As with most German towns the train station is a 10 to 15 minute walk from the centre. The stations were never built inside the city walls!

The best route is over the Puppenbruecke and through the Holstentor, the most important city gate. Walk up Holstenstrasse, there are some lovely little side streets, to the Market Place to see St Marien Church and the Rathaus. This area is a pedestrian precinct with a mixture of very old and modern buildings (result of the bombing in WWll) Continue left along the front of the Rathaus and take any of the pedestrian streets on the right, turn left into Koenigstrasse where you will find St Katherines Museum and the Heiligen-Geist Hospital. Further along Gross Burgstrasse is the Burgtor and Burgkloster. From there you can catch a 12 or 34 bus back to the train station or walk back to the hospital, turn right across the square, left into Breitestrasse where you will find St Jacobi,the seafarers church on the left and the Master Mariners House on the right. Turn right into Fischergrube, a very steep street with some wonderful old buildings, and then left along the waterfront which runs parallel to the city wall all the way back to the Puppenbruecke.

It is a pity you will get such a short stay in Luebeck. Unless you have a particular reason to visit that city have you considered Wismar which is similar, although smaller, and much nearer.

If you would like to let me know the arrival and departure times of your ship and the times of the trains you propose to catch, I may be able to suggest an itinerary which will allow more time in Luebeck.

Happy planning :)

Anni

Thank you for your advice Anni. We have been able to change our plans and we can now stay longer in Lubeck. Our cruise ship docks in Warnemunde at 9am and we leave Warnemunde at midnight that evening. I think with the train travel to/from Warnemunde/Lubeck that should give us 6 hours in Lubeck. What route/itinerary do you think we should take in Lubeck to get a "flavour" of the city? Thanks for your help.

Hi Anni.

Thanks for all your wonderful advice. We will be in Warnemunde on the NCL Sun on Sunday, June 10, and had a few questions.

What is generally closed on Sundays? All shops? Most restaurants?

Also, we were looking at the 8:22 train to Lubeck. If we return at 3:04, we would have the 5:04 train as a backup, but only 4 hours in Lubeck. If we take the 5:04, we'd have 6 hours in Lubeck but no backup (the next train would arrive too late). Would you feel safe taking the later train, given what you know about German trains?

If we take the earlier train, we'll also explore Warnemunde or Rostock. Is one better than the other on a Sunday evening?

Thanks,

Barbara

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Anni,

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy-

This sounds exactly like what we want to do next August. Could you post more details on your day - cost, train stops and anything other tid-bits?

Anni-

I have enjoyed your posts and will need to look back for the ideas you gave Nancy. Maybe we will be fortunate enough to meet you as well! Thank you for the time you spend to educate so many of us on your area :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi rostocker (Anni),

My husband and I will be docking in Warnemunde in May, 2012, we have 14 hrs to explore, 7a.m. to 9.00p.m. We would like to squeeze in a visit to each of these, Rostock, the Molli train ride and a look round Warnemunde. Which is the best route to go. I have heard you can take the scenic bus ride to Bad Doberan from Warnemunde ?#bus/time and where. Molli train to Kuhlungsborn Ost, return to Bad Doberan. But is there a bus from Bad Doberan to Rostock ?# bus/time and place. Also how would be best to return to cruise ship docked at Warnemunde from Rostock. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Sue

Hi rostocker (Anni),

My husband and I will be docking in Warnemunde in May, 2012, we have 14 hrs to explore, 7a.m. to 9.00p.m. We would like to squeeze in a visit to each of these, Rostock, the Molli train ride and a look round Warnemunde. Which is the best route to go. I have heard you can take the scenic bus ride to Bad Doberan from Warnemunde ?#bus/time and where. Molli train to Kuhlungsborn Ost, return to Bad Doberan. But is there a bus from Bad Doberan to Rostock ?# bus/time and place. Also how would be best to return to cruise ship docked at Warnemunde from Rostock. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Sue

Its easy to do bus to Bad Doberan, Molli train, train to Rostock, tram into Rostock, train back to Warnemunde for around €20 each. Send me an e mail and I'll send you a 'how to do it' sheet.

Simon

Hi, Anni

We've got a fairly unusual stop in Germany on our Baltic cruise next June. We'll be in Warnemunde overnight, from the morning of the first day, til about 5 pm on the second.

I was hoping to take a train to Berlin, spend the day touring, take a late train back (I can sleep on trains pretty well.), catch a nap back on the ship, and then spend the second day exploring Warnemunde and the surrounding area.

Is this reasonable, or even possible? If it is can you give me some ideas on how to do it?

Thanks

Marnie

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, Anni

We've got a fairly unusual stop in Germany on our Baltic cruise next June. We'll be in Warnemunde overnight, from the morning of the first day, til about 5 pm on the second.

I was hoping to take a train to Berlin, spend the day touring, take a late train back (I can sleep on trains pretty well.), catch a nap back on the ship, and then spend the second day exploring Warnemunde and the surrounding area.

Is this reasonable, or even possible? If it is can you give me some ideas on how to do it?

Thanks

Marnie

Hi Marnie, my apologies for taking so long to reply but I am only just back in circulation after a trip of my own. In case you have not already found out what you wish to know, here goes.

You are lucky having so much time which makes a trip to Berlin very reasonable indeed. The following times and prices are current. DB usually makes changes each year but I would not anticipate any changes in the times and very little in the price.

There are two possiblilites; the first is a direct train which would give you nine hours in Berlin but is more expensive and relies on your ship arriving around 7am and your being able to disembark pretty smartly. The second leaves a little later and involves 1 very easy change of train. You would have about eight hours in Berlin and the cost would be around half.

dep. Warnemuende 7.52 arr. Rostock 8.13

dep. Rostock 8.34 arr. Berlin 11.15

The return fare is 76 euros pp.

dep. Warnemuende 8.22 arr. Rostock 8.43

dep. Rostock 9.07 Change trains in Schwerin (usually same platform) arr. Berlin 12.32

Special ticket - unlimited one day travel on regional trains after 09.00.

42 euros one person + 6 euros each for up to 4 extra persons

Return journey - Berlin 20.45 arr. Rostock 23.22

Rostock 23.34 arr. Warnemuende 23.54

This is the last train from Berlin to Rostock. There are two more trains from Rostock to Warnemuende if it is running late ie. 0.04 and 0.34.

Hope this will help with your planning. :)

Edited by rostocker

Can anyone tell me the best souvenirs to pick up from our stop in Germany? We will not be going into Berlin and I would like to get a crafted piece from the area. The "Ports" info did not have any suggestions. Something easily carried on the plane home. Thanks!

Hello! Is there anything of interest in the Warnemunde / Rostock area concerning World War II?

Not that I remember, mostly stuff about the political elites when Warnemunde was under the communists.

Hotel Neptun was built during that period.

Can anyone tell me the best souvenirs to pick up from our stop in Germany? We will not be going into Berlin and I would like to get a crafted piece from the area. The "Ports" info did not have any suggestions. Something easily carried on the plane home. Thanks!

The Baltics are famous for amber (bernstein in german) other than that some woodcarving. I usually just buy chocolates and cookies. :D Sanddorn (sea-buckthorn in english) is a fruit that is of the area and you can find tea, marmelade and other things made with it. It wasn't unpleasant tasting but just 'different'.

Have a great time. Don't miss out on the other sites by concentrating on looking for souvenirs, just keep your eyes open and you might find something unique. I got 2 great paperback books in english when walking about 1 block behind the main harbor street in Warnemunde. Best souvenir I got that day. :D

Not that I remember, mostly stuff about the political elites when Warnemunde was under the communists.

Hotel Neptun was built during that period.

The Baltics are famous for amber (bernstein in german) other than that some woodcarving. I usually just buy chocolates and cookies. :D Sanddorn (sea-buckthorn in english) is a fruit that is of the area and you can find tea, marmelade and other things made with it. It wasn't unpleasant tasting but just 'different'.

Have a great time. Don't miss out on the other sites by concentrating on looking for souvenirs, just keep your eyes open and you might find something unique. I got 2 great paperback books in english when walking about 1 block behind the main harbor street in Warnemunde. Best souvenir I got that day. :D

Thanks for the suggestions - I am not really a "souvenir" hunter, but I love local handcrafted items, and try to find something evocative of the specific people and place whereever we travel. And I can't buy any English paperbacks, my Nook will get jealous;)