Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Trains depart Warnemünde every 15 mins and arrive Rostock Central station 20 mins later. From there trams run every few minutes for the 5min journey to the CBD (all one journey, only one ticket required).

Unfortunately our official tourist internet site is in German only but the local transport site has English pages and information on the places of interest in both the City and Warnemünde

http://www.rsag-online.com/

HI Anni,

Thank you for the link. We will be in Warnemunde in June and would like to stay in that area, but we are also considering going to Lubeck. On the website you provided, there was information for a day ticket for 4.50 euros. Does this day ticket also include the transportation from Warnemunde to Rostock and back?

Also, in case we do not go to Lubeck, can we puchase Lubecker Marzipan in Rostock?

Thank you,

Kathryn

HI Anni,

Thank you for the link. We will be in Warnemunde in June and would like to stay in that area, but we are also considering going to Lubeck. On the website you provided, there was information for a day ticket for 4.50 euros. Does this day ticket also include the transportation from Warnemunde to Rostock and back?

Also, in case we do not go to Lubeck, can we puchase Lubecker Marzipan in Rostock?

Thank you,

Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

Unfortunately the prices on the website have not been updated yet. The day ticket now costs 4.60 euros. The ticket covers travel anywhere in the Rostock City area and, as I said, Warnemuende is actually part of Rostock so the answer is yes.

Warnemuende to Luebeck is covered by the Mecklenburg Lander Ticket. For details please see my post of 18th January on this thread.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Ok, let me see if I have the correct info:

We want to go from Warnemunde to Schwerin Castle on a Sunday, July 22. There are 4 of us. We can walk about 5 minutes to the train station thanks to the directions on this board and buy a ticket for 30€ for all of us. We want to get on the train around 8:00 and I think we can only take regional trains. We will change trains at Rostock and then have a 1.5 hour ride to Schwerin Castle.

Here are my questions:

When we change trains at Rostock what is the name of the station we need for Schwerin Castle?

Is there a web site I can see the times of the train routes to see what time the first train leaves Warnemunde and what is available coming back from Schwerin Castle?

Thanks so much!!

Ok, let me see if I have the correct info:

We want to go from Warnemunde to Schwerin Castle on a Sunday, July 22. There are 4 of us. We can walk about 5 minutes to the train station thanks to the directions on this board and buy a ticket for 30€ for all of us. We want to get on the train around 8:00 and I think we can only take regional trains. We will change trains at Rostock and then have a 1.5 hour ride to Schwerin Castle.

Here are my questions:

When we change trains at Rostock what is the name of the station we need for Schwerin Castle?

Is there a web site I can see the times of the train routes to see what time the first train leaves Warnemunde and what is available coming back from Schwerin Castle?

Thanks so much!!

Hi, you have it in one!

The DB timetables can be a bit confusing as there are trains on which the Mecklenburg ticket is valid and trains on which it is not so I will try to simplify things and give you only the trains on which the ticket is valid.

S-bahn trains depart Warnemuende every 15 mins from 5.07 (eg. 8.07, 8.22, 8.37, 8.52 etc) and arrive Rostock Central station 21 mins later.

On a Sunday the Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid on the S-bahn before 9am.

From Rostock the train you require is the RE to Hamburg, via Schwerin.

Departs Rostock Hbf. 9.07, 11.07 and every two hours thereafter until 21.07. Journey time from Rostock to Schwerin is 58 mins.

Leave the train at the Schwerin Hbf, 6th stop on the route.

Return from Schwerin to Rostock.

Depart Schwerin Hbf 15.53 - arr. Rostock Hbf 16.51

" " " " " " " " " " " " " " 17.53 - arr. Rostock Hbf 18.51

" " " " " " " " " " " " " " 19.53 - arr. Rostock Hbf 20.51

S-bahn to Warnemuende departs from track 1 or 2 every 15 mins (17.01, 17.16, 17.31, 17.46 etc)

Changing trains in Rostock is quite simple. The s-bahn from Warnemünde arrives on tracks 1/2. Take the stairs 1 flight down to the main concourse. The electronic departure boards are on the walls on each side. The departure time and track will be indicated, normally track 6. Take the elevator marked 3-6 up to the platform (level 0) If a different track is indicated (never happened as far as I can remember) take the appropriately numbered elevator. The platforms are clearly numbered and there are electronic indicator boards showing the departure time, destination and intermediate stops of the next train on each.

Schwerin is a very compact town and ideally suited to walking. The walk from the train station to the castle takes you past one of the many lakes and through the pedestrian only area with the Dom, the Market Place, Tourist Information etc - as well as old streets with beautiful buildings and pavement cafes.

Once in Schwerin go out the main station entrance, cross the square to the small street in the far right hand corner, go left down to the lake, turn right and follow the waterfront (about 200m) until you come to the pedestrian street on the right. You are now in the tourist area and from here all the attractions are clearly signposted. The walk from the station to castle takes about 15 mins direct but don't expect to do it in that time, there is too much to see on the way.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Anni - will the above schedule for Warnemuende to Schwerin Castle also work for a Saturday visit?

Hi, most certainly, there is no difference and the MvP ticket is valid on the S-bahn Saturdays before 9am too.

G'Day and guten Tag Anni,

We're on the Eurodam arriving 2 July, a Monday. While I prefer castles my husband will be more intrigued by Statsi Prison in Rostock.

Would you help me with an agenda? Is there any possbility (I am directionally challenged) to see Statsi Prison then go to Güstrow (I don't think we have time for Lübeck) and return to Warnemünde.

We have from 6 AM (ideally) until 1O PM.

We have limited German, but love to take trains, buses, and appreciate what there is to see and enjoy.

Thank you so much for your response.

mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ellen G

ellengwynn@comcast.net

Edited by Halemaumau
add Title

G'Day and guten Tag Anni,

We're on the Eurodam arriving 2 July, a Monday. While I prefer castles my husband will be more intrigued by Statsi Prison in Rostock.

Would you help me with an agenda? Is there any possbility (I am directionally challenged) to see Statsi Prison then go to Güstrow (I don't think we have time for Lübeck) and return to Warnemünde.

We have from 6 AM (ideally) until 1O PM.

We have limited German, but love to take trains, buses, and appreciate what there is to see and enjoy.

Thank you so much for your response.

mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ellen G

ellengwynn@comcast.net

Moin,

Although you have chosen the best line (HAL) in terms of time in port unforunately Monday is the day on which most museums in Germany, including the Stasi in Rostock, are closed.

You would have time to visit Luebeck but the same applies there, mostly closed.

As you have plenty of time may I suggest a visit to the lakeside city of Schwerin. The castle there, on an island in the lake, is open on Mondays in the tourist season, as is the Cathedral.

Schwerin is the State capital of Mecklemburg vor Pommern. and the castle was, until 1914, the residence of the Dukes of Mecklenburg. It now houses the State Parliament as well as the restored Ducal Apartments which, along with the extensive lakeside gardens, are open to the public.

There is a very good web site in English - http://www.schwerin.com/english/

With the time you have in port it would be quite feasible to have a look at Rostock in the morning, take the 11.07 train to Schwerin and still have time for a stroll around Warnemuende in the evening, something not to be missed.

Please see my post of 23rd January - Trains to Schwerin for the timetable.

The castle in Guestrow is much smaller, it belonged to a minor branch of the family, the town is not as attractive and the other places of interest there are closed on Monday too.

Sorry to disappoint your husband re the Stasi but hope this suggestion helps with your planning.

Tschuss, Anni

Anni,

You said museums in Germany are closed on Monday. We are in Kiel on a Monday and plan to take the train to Lubeck. Will the old medieval part of town be open? I'm not sure if there are any museums or not. We had planned to just walk around. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

Dear Anni,

You are right my husband will be very disappointed about Stasi Prison; better to know it is closed on Mondays then to travel there and find out the hard way. Thanks also for providing a great alternative with your suggestion to go to Schwerin -- which will probably be even more crowded because it is Monday.... really appreciate your help.

Tschuss -

Ellen

Anni,

You said museums in Germany are closed on Monday. We are in Kiel on a Monday and plan to take the train to Lubeck. Will the old medieval part of town be open? I'm not sure if there are any museums or not. We had planned to just walk around. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

Yes of course, you can visit the old Hanseatic city of Luebeck, which is a very good idea as Kiel (my home town) has not to offer that much except of nice beaches at Laboe.

From the cruise center (Ostseekai) you can take a cab to the train station (Hauptbahnhof) or take a nice walk along the harbour side for 20 minutes.

P.

Moin,

Although you have chosen the best line (HAL) in terms of time in port unforunately Monday is the day on which most museums in Germany, including the Stasi in Rostock, are closed.

You would have time to visit Luebeck but the same applies there, mostly closed.

As you have plenty of time may I suggest a visit to the lakeside city of Schwerin. The castle there, on an island in the lake, is open on Mondays in the tourist season, as is the Cathedral.

Schwerin is the State capital of Mecklemburg vor Pommern. and the castle was, until 1914, the residence of the Dukes of Mecklenburg. It now houses the State Parliament as well as the restored Ducal Apartments which, along with the extensive lakeside gardens, are open to the public.

There is a very good web site in English - http://www.schwerin.com/english/

With the time you have in port it would be quite feasible to have a look at Rostock in the morning, take the 11.07 train to Schwerin and still have time for a stroll around Warnemuende in the evening, something not to be missed.

Please see my post of 23rd January - Trains to Schwerin for the timetable.

The castle in Guestrow is much smaller, it belonged to a minor branch of the family, the town is not as attractive and the other places of interest there are closed on Monday too.

Sorry to disappoint your husband re the Stasi but hope this suggestion helps with your planning.

Tschuss, Anni

Dear Anni,

Since we will not be able to visit Stasi Prison on a Monday, is Wöbbelin (a concentration camp I believe) something we might be able to do in combination with Schwerin. That may seem an odd combination. What do you think? If it is possible, would you be kind enough to provide some public transportation directions or links?

Danke, Tschuss,

Ellen

Edited by Halemaumau

Hi Anni,

My wife and I will be docking in Warnemunde June 22 and want to take the train into Berlin on our own. Has anyone done this? How far is the train station from the pier? Will the station people understand English? How much is the train fare? How do we find out the schedule? How often do the trains leave and return?

We want to take the Berlin Walks tour once we get to Berlin. Where is it located in regards to the train station? Is it walkable?

Would appreciate any info on the port.

Thank you for any assistance.

Regards, Ed

Dear Anni,

Since we will not be able to visit Stasi Prison on a Monday, is Wöbbelin (a concentration camp I believe) something we might be able to do in combination with Schwerin. That may seem an odd combination. What do you think? If it is possible, would you be kind enough to provide some public transportation directions or links?

Danke, Tschuss,

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

I just hate having to pour cold water on your ideas once more but am afraid I must.

Wöbbelin is the site of a small concentration camp south of Schwerin but there is very little to see. Memorial stones and boards explaining what was where etc. There is a small section of the village museum devoted to the camp but same old story, closed on Monday. It is also impossible to get to except by car. There is no bus service from either Schwerin or Ludwigslust (nearest train stations). Please see my post "WWll in Rostock Area", this thread, Jan.5th for more details.

If you are really set on visiting a concentration camp or similar the next nearest is Sachsenhausen, in the town of Oranienburg near Berlin.

http://www.museumsportal-berlin.de/en/museums/museum-details/gedenkstaette-und-museum-sachsenhausen-1.html

The RE trains from Rostock stop at Oranienburg and the camp is about a 20 min walk from the station. It is open on Mondays until 6pm. However, the train time tables being as they are it would be not be possible to visit any castles as well in the time available, maybe you could sqeeze in a quick look at Rostock or a stroll around Warnemünde. I will be happy to provide more detailed train times if required.

Tschuss, :) Anni.

Hi Anni,

My wife and I will be docking in Warnemunde June 22 and want to take the train into Berlin on our own. Has anyone done this? How far is the train station from the pier? Will the station people understand English? How much is the train fare? How do we find out the schedule? How often do the trains leave and return?

We want to take the Berlin Walks tour once we get to Berlin. Where is it located in regards to the train station? Is it walkable?

Would appreciate any info on the port.

Thank you for any assistance.

Regards, Ed

Hi Ed,

Getting to Berlin independently has been covered in the thread 'Walking tours in Berlin' but here are answers to your more specific questions.

In Warnemuende the ships dock literally alongside the railway station, 5 min walk from the gate to the platforms.

The ticket machines all have English screens and sometimes there is someone who speaks a little English. The best way to get information and tickets is on-line at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Arriving on HAL at 6am you have several options.

ICE direct from Warnemuende at 6.58 arr Berlin 9.48, depart Berlin at 18.13 arr. Warnemuende 20.42.

Fare - 106 euros return pp

RE - two hourly service departing Rostock Hbf. 8.34 arr Berlin 11.14 etc., departing Berlin 16.45 arr. Rostock Hbf 20.01 etc. up to 20.45 departure

Standard fare valid anytime on Regional trains, 89.60 euros return pp

Quer-durch-Land ticket valid after 9am, 48 euros for two persons, travel anywhere on Regional trains all day.

I am sorry but I do not know where the Berlin Walks meet. Maybe the web site (which I am not allowed to quote) or someone who has done this tour can tell you.

Good information on the port of Rostock (of which city Warnemuende is a suburb) can be found at either

http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping.html or

http://www.rsag-online.com/

Happy cruising :) Anni

Hi Anni

We were in Rostock 2 years ago and we will be in Copenhagen this year, Ive tried to fine a ferry from Copenhagen the to Warnemunde.

Do you think this could be possible.

Regards from Oz ...Albert.

G,day Albert, what a lovely simple question but I am afraid I have an equally simple answer, No. Sorry.

There are two ways to get from Copenhagen to Warnemuende (which is a suburb of Rostock)

Train to Hamburg (the whole train actually rides on the ferry) and then train from Hamburg to Rostock. You then need to take a local, suburban train to Warnemuende.

Bus all the way from Copenhagen to Gedser or the train to Nykobing and the bus from there to Gedser and then the ferry to Rostock. A short bus / train ride brings you to Warnemuende.

A bit complicated but this is principally a car/truck ferry and the powers-that-be don't seem to consider foot passengers.

Of course if you are making the journey by car it is an easy drive from Copenhagen to Gedser. The ferries run every two hours and the trip takes about 45 mins. The ferry terminal is a 10 min drive from Warnemuende.

Please say Hi to Oz for me :)

Anni

I am sorry to correct you but the ferry does indeed take passengers by foot and the sailing time is 1 hour and 45 minutes.

As you said the most easy way is to take either a RE train or ICE train (the same to Hamburg) and get off at Nykøbing F. from here there is a bus with number 740.

Take a train from Copenhagen departing at lets say 08:13, get off in Nykøbing F at 10:03 and get bus number 740 at 10:10 this bus will be at Gedser Ferry station at 10:46 and the ferry departs at 11:00 so plenty of time to get to the ferry.

The ferry departs from Gedser at 05, 07, 09, 11 and so on every second hour.