Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Anni, as others have said, your help and knowledge have been priceless! I hope you have a great trip, and wish we could have met in person. You will be missed! Bon Voyage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully, some other wonderful CC'er will be able to provide us with some comments.

DW and I will be docking in Warnemunde for one day, and we're thinking of taking the train to Rostock, doing the historical walking tour mentioned by Anni, and then going to the zoo before returning to Warnemunde in late afternoon. Then we'll walk around Warnemunde before reboarding our ship.

I'm thinking the day ticket is our best proposition for transportation. Would others agree?

Hopefully, some other wonderful CC'er will be able to provide us with some comments.

DW and I will be docking in Warnemunde for one day, and we're thinking of taking the train to Rostock, doing the historical walking tour mentioned by Anni, and then going to the zoo before returning to Warnemunde in late afternoon. Then we'll walk around Warnemunde before reboarding our ship.

I'm thinking the day ticket is our best proposition for transportation. Would others agree?

Yes, because the Laender ticket is good for up to 5 people and you won't need that. Have a great trip.

Hi, As I'm still around til the end of the week and do not like to see you given mis-information, I'll answer you!

Yes, you are right. The Local Transport DayTicket will cover all your plans for the day. It costs 4.60 euros per person and is valid all day on the s-bahn, trams, buses and cross-river ferry (the vehiclular ferry which plies across the river in Warnemunde, directly under the bow of the cruise ship on P8). You have obviously done your research well!

Enjoy the Zoo, I always did.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Yes, because the Laender ticket is good for up to 5 people and you won't need that. Have a great trip.

Sorry to disagree with you but the Länder Ticket is not suitable for the plans outlined by the above post ( by lel5344) as it is only valid on the trains of the Deutsche Bahn and not on the trams, buses or ferries. In their case it would be valid only on the s-bahn between Warnemunde and Rostock Hbf. They would be spending 23 euros on the train and still require tram tickets between Hbf and the City, 2x3.60 return + between the City and the Zoo, 2x3.60 return = 37.40 euros. The Local Transport Day Ticket costs 4.60 euros each = 9.20 euros. Quite a difference.

Edited by rostocker

We are thinking to take a Princess tour that uses a special train from Wernemunde to Berlin. Our cruise is in August and it seams that the train does not have A.C. I was wondering if is anybody who took this trip, and if it is not uncomfortable to travel 6 hours with such a train.

Thanks.

Hello! In case there is someone in the know... I have a few Warnemunde/Rostock questions...

We are going to be in Warnemunde on a Sunday and hope to take the Blaue Flotte ferry/boat from Warnemunde to Rostock for the day. I have a link to their website but cannot read German. Does anyone know if this boat runs on Sundays??

Does anyone know if the Historical Society gives tours on Sundays ~ the information I found simply says they give them "on days the cruise ships are in town" and our ship docks on a Sunday.

What about the supermarket in Warnemunde ~ would it be open on a Sunday??

One last "Sunday" question.... from what I can tell on the Stasi Prison/Museum website, it is only open Tuesday through Saturdays. Can anyone confirm this??

Thanks to anyone who has the answers. We did the Mediterranean on our own and now we are going to do the Baltics on our own... sometimes, getting out and about and maybe even a little lost is a lot better than being crammed in a motorcoach or on a train for 6+ hours, IMHO. :)

Thank you to anyone in advance for replies!

PS ~ Anni ~ thank you very much for your website!!

Hi Anni

Thanks for all your information. I have difficulties in purchasing the train ticket online. I manage to purchase the Rostock- Schwerin for 3 person at EURO27. However, when i tried to purchase ticket for the Kiel- Lubeck, it shows fare not available. May I know why is this please?

Thanks for your help..

However, when i tried to purchase ticket for the Kiel- Lubeck, it shows fare not available. May I know why is this please?

Unfortunately, Anni is no longer online !!!

You cannot buy tickets for this route online as it is a private train company.

You have to buy tickets at the train station on the ticket machine.

Hello! In case there is someone in the know... I have a few Warnemunde/Rostock questions...

We are going to be in Warnemunde on a Sunday and hope to take the Blaue Flotte ferry/boat from Warnemunde to Rostock for the day. I have a link to their website but cannot read German. Does anyone know if this boat runs on Sundays??

Yes, they go daily by schedule from 10:30 am. to 4:30 pm. The fare is EUR 14/adult

Does anyone know if the Historical Society gives tours on Sundays ~ the information I found simply says they give them "on days the cruise ships are in town" and our ship docks on a Sunday.

Yes, I can confirm this includes sundays.

What about the supermarket in Warnemunde ~ would it be open on a Sunday??

Yes

One last "Sunday" question.... from what I can tell on the Stasi Prison/Museum website, it is only open Tuesday through Saturdays. Can anyone confirm this??

It´s closed on saturdays and sundays.

PS ~ Anni ~ thank you very much for your website!!

Anni has gone to Australia for a while.

Peter

We are going to rent a car when we get to Warnemunde and drive to Rostock and the general area.

Do you suggest any particular itinerary or scenic route?

Is parking difficult in any of the towns that we will be near?

Thank you.

Judy

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to buy a mecklenburg-vorpommern lander ticket on line and cannot do so. The website will only refer me to Baden-Wurtemburg even tho I click on the correct section. Anyone have this problem?

Thanks

I am trying to buy a mecklenburg-vorpommern lander ticket on line and cannot do so. The website will only refer me to Baden-Wurtemburg even tho I click on the correct section. Anyone have this problem?

Thanks

Same problem here. I have followed the directions very carefully and numerous times and keep getting the same result as you are.

I've read quite a lot and I know I'm being thick but just to confirm if going to Schwerin castle - you are better off buying the Mecklenburg ticket than getting a return ticket from Warnemünde to Schwerin

If you are going with a small group the Mecklenburg ticket is worth while. The one price covers 5 people I believe, but on off-peak hours. Not sure if it is after 9 am or 10 am.

If only two people you might want to price it out, and if cheaper the individual tickets don't have time restraints and you can use any train.

Hope this helps!

Hi -

I've been trying to read all previous posts but its a daunting task..will be here in 2 weeks on a cruise.

Q. Is it hard to find the return #5 or #6 tram from Rostock City Centre to the Central Station? Will the tram I need have a destination sign?

Q. Which tram stop os closest to the Botanical Garden? Is the Garden walking distance from the Historical Society / City Centre?

Q. Is there one best area for shopping - not souvenir junk but other goods?

Thanks.

Harry

I thought that the Mecklenburg Lander ticket was a necessity if going to Schwerin.

Was I mistaken in believing that the "day ticket" is only valid for Warnemuende and Rostock travel? I thought it wasn't valid for the trains that go to Schwerin.

Thanks anyone who has done this or is in the know!

Oceania's Nautica has a half-day trip to the Molli steam train, and a brief stop in Kuhlungsborn which I'm very keen to see, but the trip's stupidly expensive.

I've researched some bus/train timetables and it looks very do-able in a day but maybe one of the 'locals' can tell me if that's practical, and/or if I'd be right at the back of the queue behind hundreds of passengers for the steam train?

Otherwise, anyone know about hiring a car from Warnemunde port - most car hire companies only seem to quote for 3+ days, rather than 10 hours !!!

Thanks!

Johnny

Don't know about the steam train, but we're on Marina when it goes to Warnemuende, and are renting a car. Europcar.com is at the port and seems reasonable. They didn't require a 3-day rental and were open on Sun. all day and night. We reserved a smallish intermediate car, manual (most are) for about $90 a day. No insurance is included; trying to find out if insurance is mandatory as it is in Ronne, Denmark; not sure. Unlimited mileage; not sure if gas stations are open Sunday night when we will be returning OUR car. Can book and pre-pay for cheaper price, but of course, if for some reason Nautica doesn't make it to port, you're probably out some money.

Hertz is also in the port, or can bring a car to the port, but quoted me a LOT more - but that included insurance, so perhaps it's not as bad as I'm thinking. With them, you request a car and they get back with you about whether it's ok - maybe they bring car over from Rostock; again, not sure.

Seems like it would be easier/cheaper on the train, but just wanted to let you know you CAN rent a car for a day in Warnemuende!

Oceania's Nautica has a half-day trip to the Molli steam train, and a brief stop in Kuhlungsborn which I'm very keen to see, but the trip's stupidly expensive.

I've researched some bus/train timetables and it looks very do-able in a day but maybe one of the 'locals' can tell me if that's practical, and/or if I'd be right at the back of the queue behind hundreds of passengers for the steam train?

Otherwise, anyone know about hiring a car from Warnemunde port - most car hire companies only seem to quote for 3+ days, rather than 10 hours !!!

Thanks!

Johnny

Info on car hire from Hein Bloed.

He has some of the best blogs on cc.

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-car-rental.html

Thanks!

Johnny

It is dead easy to do the Molli, Kuhlungsborn and have time left to go to Rostock for about €20 a person. Drop me an e mail and I'll send you the 'how to do it' sheet.

Simon

Guess is probably a dumb question, but I read that in Germany, you might need a German cell phone number to be able to use wifi. Does anyone know if this is true? Sounds weird, but what do I know?!

Edited by roothy123