Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Ohhh I can't wait to use that word 'retirement'!!! I have a few more years to go though. :(

Are you closer to Rerik now? or perhaps Karl's Erdbeer Erlebnis? LOL :D Welcome back Anni, we have missed you and your informative posts!! Glad you are here. ;)

Hi, thanks for the welcome back. As for retired.......... Well, from my labours in Rostock certainly but only time will tell if I can truly retire. I hope so but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe a rest will be enough and then something will catch my interest and away we will go again!

I am living in Ludwigslust, a small town just south of Schwerin. It is a Baroque town which grew up around the 'weekender' of the Dukes of Mecklenburg. The Castle was their country home and like the main castle in Schwerin, it was lived in by the family until 1918 and since then has been gradually restored. Parts of the building are open to the public and the grounds are a public park.

Ludwigslust was the centre of production when the art of Papier Mache was at the height of its popularity in the 18th century and there are some fantastic examples of furniture, decor and statuary etc. using that art form to be found in the castle and the church

The town also has a connection with the US military. The 82nd Airborne, commanded by General James Gavin and fighting as infantry, were the first Allied troops into the town in 1945. They liberated the nearby concentration camp at Wobbelin, buried the dead and treated the surivors. The local inhabitants were very sorry when occupation of the town had to be handed over to the Soviets. In later years the veterans of the 82nd were instrumental in having a memorial erected and one of them was made an honorary citizen of Ludwigslust. You can read more on the regiment's website.

www.508pir.org/odessey/germany/germany__01.htm (NB there is an underscore _ between the last y and 01.htm)

The site of the concentration camp is also a memorial.

It is possible to combine a visit to Ludwigslust with a visit to Schwerin so if any one is interested in what there is to see, how to get there etc. please e-mail me, anniellis@arcor.de and I will be pleased to let you have more details.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

My husbands family came from Plau in 1868 to Iowa.

We know they were all married In the Lutheran church there. Is there more than one?

Can anyone recommend a private guide to take us from Warnemunde and show us Plau and a tour around Mecklenberg?

Thank you

Edited by dundeene

Hi Anni:

We are going to be in Warbemunde on a Sunday ( arriving on the Emerald). if we buy the Meckelburg ticket to get to Scherwin, can we use it from Warnemunde befor 9:00 as this is a Sunday and it is good from 3:00 a.m? Or do we need to buy the local ticket to get to Rostock?

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Anni:

We are going to be in Warbemunde on a Sunday ( arriving on the Emerald). if we buy the Meckelburg ticket to get to Scherwin, can we use it from Warnemunde befor 9:00 as this is a Sunday and it is good from 3:00 a.m? Or do we need to buy the local ticket to get to Rostock?

Thanks

Sharon

Hi, it is not necessary to buy a separate ticket on Saturday or Sunday as the Lander ticket is valid from 3am on those days.

The trains from Rostock to Warnemünde run every 15 mins at :01, :16, :31 and :46 mins past the hour. The journey time is 20mins. Not sure how long before sailing the 'Emerald' requires you to be back on board but the 19:31 from Rostock would probably be a safe bet.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Wir haben Sie vermisst!

Glad you're back. You give a wealth of tips and info.

We are jumping ship in Warnermunde, have rented a car, and driving to Schwerin via autobahn, then after seeing the castle, heading back towards coast via Wismar.

Would Ludwigslust be too far out of the way from Schwerin? It was on our list to go their first then make our way west towards Schwerin.

I've read that the Schwerin castle really doesn't have much inside, a wee bit is restored, but the beauty is the outside?? Any thoughts?

My husband is torn between Scherwin and Bad Doberman and the Moli train.

Your thoughts please?

I think, that´s nothing to compare.

Schwerin is a very nice city, good for shopping, but it also has a beautiful castle and a lovely lake good for a cruise on it.

But Molli is completely different.

It´s an unique excitement with a steam engine locomotive on a very slow speed.

As we say in German: "Flower picking is prohibited!"

Peter

We know they were all married In the Lutheran church there. Is there more than one?

At that time it was ony one church in Plau, St. Mary's church, which was completely renovated fom 1877 to 1879.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfarrkirche_St._Marien_%28Plau_am_See%29

You can let been translated this wikipedia articel.

At that time it was ony one church in Plau, St. Mary's church, which was completely renovated from 1877 to 1879.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfarrkirche_St._Marien_%28Plau_am_See%29

You can let been translated this wikipedia article.

Edited by Kruizefan

Season is winding down, but in case this is helpful to anyone: We were just in Warnemuende about 10 days ago. At the point where you turn left to go to the tunnel which takes you to the town and train station, there was a big sign saying something like "Durchgang - tunnel" hanging overhead. Across the river is a big "Hohe Dune" hotel (I believe) which might also help you find it. It was pretty easy to find without these landmarks, but just thought I'd add this in case it helps folks in the future (assuming that the big hanging sign is kept up for a while!)

We went to Berlin, but got back in time to explore Warnemuende a little bit - enjoyed it very much.

Edited by roothy123

If anyone's interested, I've posted some photos from my Baltic cruise. There are 2 separate galleries. We went to Berlin, so I don't have many of Warnemuende, but the ones that are there will be early on in the first "gallery" and late in the second ("More") gallery.

The address is http://www.pbase.com/roothy123 Just click on the link and you'll be there (no sign up or anything).

• 1 month later...

Hello Anni,

We just booked our b2b MSC cruises next August and each cruise will have one stop to Kiel on Saturday from 10am-6pm. We are thinking to do Kiel-Lubeck, then the 2nd leg will do Kiel-Hamburg. We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teens ages 17 & 15. I am not clear of the following, please help me to more understand as first I apologized that these questions may already asked before in the thread.

1. From Kiel-Lubeck, from the machine, which one do we buy for the RE 10:44am train, the Schleswig-Holstein or the 'Special Offer'-Laender ticket and what is the difference, since we will be most likely be walking within Lubeck city (instruction from your site) and may be taking local bus/train/metro within Hamburg. Saw the ticket price a slightly different. Which ticket is best for us for Lubeck and Hamburg and how much? I am a little confused.

2. Heard there are free shuttle from Kiel cruiseport to the Central train station from MSC cruiseline, is this true.

3. 'RE' train from Kiel-Hamburg is 10:21am, can we buy our ticket a wekk before when we first do our Kiel-Lubeck, can we choose a specific date when we buy and will it print on the ticket or we have to buy the date of the travel from the machine? This is because if we arrive at 10am and we need to get to the train station for the 10:21 train, we won't have time to buy the ticket on that day. Not even sure if this is doable so we have to try the Kiel-Lubeck first and get familiar with the Kiel area. For some reason, the website does not allow to buy these tickets on-line. May be I am wrong.

4. If we choose the 10ish RE train and choose return train at around 3pm but if decide to come back an hour earlier for some reason, can we hope on the 2pm train to come back since this is a all-day pass?

5. From your website, I see you have the walking tour once you get to Lubeck and that is wonderful to spend a few hours there. Would you know if there a self walking tour in Hamburg?

Thank you so much. I really appreciated your time to help us.

Hello Anni,

We just booked our b2b MSC cruises next August and each cruise will have one stop to Kiel on Saturday from 10am-6pm. We are thinking to do Kiel-Lubeck, then the 2nd leg will do Kiel-Hamburg. We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teens ages 17 & 15. I am not clear of the following, please help me to more understand as first I apologized that these questions may already asked before in the thread.

1. From Kiel-Lubeck, from the machine, which one do we buy for the RE 10:44am train, the Schleswig-Holstein or the 'Special Offer'-Laender ticket and what is the difference, since we will be most likely be walking within Lubeck city (instruction from your site) and may be taking local bus/train/metro within Hamburg. Saw the ticket price a slightly different. Which ticket is best for us for Lubeck and Hamburg and how much? I am a little confused.

2. Heard there are free shuttle from Kiel cruiseport to the Central train station from MSC cruiseline, is this true.

3. 'RE' train from Kiel-Hamburg is 10:21am, can we buy our ticket a wekk before when we first do our Kiel-Lubeck, can we choose a specific date when we buy and will it print on the ticket or we have to buy the date of the travel from the machine? This is because if we arrive at 10am and we need to get to the train station for the 10:21 train, we won't have time to buy the ticket on that day. Not even sure if this is doable so we have to try the Kiel-Lubeck first and get familiar with the Kiel area. For some reason, the website does not allow to buy these tickets on-line. May be I am wrong.

4. If we choose the 10ish RE train and choose return train at around 3pm but if decide to come back an hour earlier for some reason, can we hope on the 2pm train to come back since this is a all-day pass?

5. From your website, I see you have the walking tour once you get to Lubeck and that is wonderful to spend a few hours there. Would you know if there a self walking tour in Hamburg?

Thank you so much. I really appreciated your time to help us.

Hi. I will try to answer your questions point by point.

1. I am afraid that you have me a little confused as I cannot find the difference between the two tickets. However, unless you want to travel on the public transport system in Kiel and Lübeck or on buses within the state of Schleswig-Holstein then the ticket you require for both days is officially called the Hamburg/Schleswig-Holstein Lander Ticket. This is the day ticket for up to 5 persons and covers travel on all Regional trains, RE, RB and S-bahn, within Schleswig Holstein (eg.Kiel-Lübeck and Kiel-Hamburg) plus buses, trains and ferries within the City of Hamburg. The present price is 26 euros for one person plus 3 euros for each extra person. Your teens are considered to be adults so the total cost would be 35 euros. However, prices usually change at the begining of the year so these prices may not apply in 2013. Please note that if you buy from a ticket office you must add 2 euros.

Please note that the ferries in Hamburg are covered by this ticket and a trip on the river is a wonderful way to see the city. There are several stops along the river which are worth exploring, eg the Old Fish Market and the Speicherstadt.

2. I am sorry but I do not know anything about the shuttle services provided by the cruise lines. Maybe someone who has cruised with MSC can help.

3.You can buy the tickets before you require them, you just have to specify the date. But as I said, the prices will probably change early next year. There is no limit on the number of Länder tickets issued so there is no rush. I cannot understand why you cannot buy on-line unless it is because tickets cannot be purchased so far ahead. Try again nearer the date following my instructions for a Mecklenburg ticket. Just substitute Hamburg-Schleswig Holstein where neccessary.

4. You can use any RE or RB train within the validity of the pass.

5. Lübeck is a wonderful place to just wander, I go there often and always find something new. I do not know if there is a self-walking tour of Hamburg but it is a pretty big place and it would probably be better to work out what you want to see and then go from place to place on the s-bahn or the ferry. A good site to visit is http://www.english.hamburg.de

I will be amending the web site over the winter with any changes to timetables and prices as they become available.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi. I will try to answer your questions point by point.

1. I am afraid that you have me a little confused as I cannot find the difference between the two tickets. However, unless you want to travel on the public transport system in Kiel and Lübeck or on buses within the state of Schleswig-Holstein then the ticket you require for both days is officially called the Hamburg/Schleswig-Holstein Lander Ticket. This is the day ticket for up to 5 persons and covers travel on all Regional trains, RE, RB and S-bahn, within Schleswig Holstein (eg.Kiel-Lübeck and Kiel-Hamburg) plus buses, trains and ferries within the City of Hamburg. The present price is 26 euros for one person plus 3 euros for each extra person. Your teens are considered to be adults so the total cost would be 35 euros. However, prices usually change at the begining of the year so these prices may not apply in 2013. Please note that if you buy from a ticket office you must add 2 euros.

Please note that the ferries in Hamburg are covered by this ticket and a trip on the river is a wonderful way to see the city. There are several stops along the river which are worth exploring, eg the Old Fish Market and the Speicherstadt.

2. I am sorry but I do not know anything about the shuttle services provided by the cruise lines. Maybe someone who has cruised with MSC can help.

3.You can buy the tickets before you require them, you just have to specify the date. But as I said, the prices will probably change early next year. There is no limit on the number of Länder tickets issued so there is no rush. I cannot understand why you cannot buy on-line unless it is because tickets cannot be purchased so far ahead. Try again nearer the date following my instructions for a Mecklenburg ticket. Just substitute Hamburg-Schleswig Holstein where neccessary.

4. You can use any RE or RB train within the validity of the pass.

5. Lübeck is a wonderful place to just wander, I go there often and always find something new. I do not know if there is a self-walking tour of Hamburg but it is a pretty big place and it would probably be better to work out what you want to see and then go from place to place on the s-bahn or the ferry. A good site to visit is www.english.hamburg.de

I will be amending the web site over the winter with any changes to timetables and prices as they become available.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you so much Anni!

So to be save, we better buy with the Schleswig-Holstein Lander Ticket for both Lubeck and Hamburg. It is good to know this kind of ticket including the ferry rides in Hamburg, our teens will be more excited to take the ferry than the buses for sure.

When the time comes closer to our sailing date, we will try for the on-line tickets.

Thanks again and very appreciated all your help.

• 1 month later...

The decision between the Molli and Schwerin is very difficult. The Molli is such a unique railroad experience. Running down the middle of the streets. Plus, they have the newest, scratch built, steam engines in the world. My current plan is to get off the ship as early as possible, ride bus 119 to Bad Dobern, ride the Molli and then see if I can still get to Schwerin.

• 2 months later...
Hi Anni,

We are debating trying to take the train to Berlin. Having trouble finding out if there are restrooms on the train. It is a long ride.

Thanks, Tracy

Hi Tracy,

You will be relieved to know (pardon the pun! :rolleyes:) that there are restrooms on ALL long distance ( ICE, IC, EC) and regional (RE, RG, IR) trains in Germany. Also on the S-bahn routes operated by DeutscheBahn, eg. between Warnemünde and Rostock,

The restrooms are always clean and well equipped but of course the standard of furnishing varies with the age and class of the rolling stock.

This applies to both the public transport and the trains operated by the cruise companies, even though they use older, discontinued carriages.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, I am an Australian who came to Rostock as a tourist several years ago and fell in love with the city. So much so that I have lived here for the past four years exploring the beauty and learning the history of the city and surrounding area. It would be my pleasure to help others enjoy my adopted home too. :)

hi to you rostocker, i was just having a look on here and found this thread , we are doing a cruise to the baltics and was wondering if you could suggest a few things to do in rostock or warnemuende we love very much history things , things to do with war etc, we do not want to go to berlin we think it will be quite a heavy day so opt to stay in warnemuende and rostock and i was wondering if you would give us a few suggestions of things to do hopefully you can give a few suggestions thank you

hi to you rostocker, i was just having a look on here and found this thread , we are doing a cruise to the baltics and was wondering if you could suggest a few things to do in rostock or warnemuende we love very much history things , things to do with war etc, we do not want to go to berlin we think it will be quite a heavy day so opt to stay in warnemuende and rostock and i was wondering if you would give us a few suggestions of things to do hopefully you can give a few suggestions thank you

Rostocker has a wonderful website here: http://travelanni.webs.com/

You can click on the towns listed and there are highlights of what to see.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Annie,

We wil arrive Warnemunde by Celebrity Costellation on May 22,which suppose to dock at 9.30am, is it possible for us to get on the ICE depart on 10.30am from Rostock to Berlin,

Much thanks for help

Eric

Hi Eric,

I have just updated all the train times and fares on my web-site and I am sorry to disappoint you but you seem to have been mis-informed about the ICE. :confused:

The only ICE between Rostock and Berlin leaves at 5:55am! There is an RE (Regional Express, very comfortable, air-conditioned) which leaves Rostock at 10:34am arriving Berlin Hbf. 1:15pm. To catch this you would need to take the 10:02am s-bahn from Warnemünde which gives 12mins transfer time in Rostock. The walk from the ship to the station in Warnemünde is at least 5mins so you would have very tight timing.

Just as a matter of interest the trip by RE is slightly faster than the ICE, 3hrs 13mins as against 3hrs 15mins. This is due to the upgrade of the high speed line due to be completed in late 2014 when the ICE will do the journey in under 2hrs. We can't wait :rolleyes:

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 1 month later...

Hi Anni

We had the pleasure of meeting you in Rostock in 2000, our first Baltic cruise, and later finding your excellent website/helpful info in CC.

We’ll be in Warnemunde again on 8 May arriving 7:30 am and departing 10 pm. We’re hoping to DIY Schwerin and Wismar from Warnemunde by train. We are OK (& confident?:D) to go from/to Warnemunde and Rostock which we did last time. We’ve researched the dep/arr times, duration, train numbers and intermediate stops of the various regional trains we may take. However, we cannot (or don’t know how to?:o) find/confirm the final destination of each train which we believe will help us to get on the right trains heading the right directions. Would much appreciate if you could help please.

e.g. Rostock –> Schwerin, RE trains towards Hamburg?

Schwerin -> Wismar, RE trains towards?

Wismar -> Rostock, RE trains towards Tessin?

Schwerin -> Rostock, RE trains towards?

Also please advise if these are the correct train stops we should use to search for info using the Deutsche Bahn website.

Rostock Hbf

Schwerin Hbf

Wismar Bahnhof

Many thanks.

Nicole

On Eurodam on a Tuesday and having trouble deciding between Schwerin, Stralsund and Wismar.

What we want is relatively quiet medeival town after all the big ciities with some shopping for local goods.

I've looked at Tripadvisor and Anni's site as well as the websites for the towns but still no breakthrough. Tripadvisor has more things to do on Stralsund & Schwerin than Wismar.

I see Schwerin has a giuded walking tour at 11:00, not sure if in English. i sent email asking.

Thanks for any suggestions?

Edited by DanL
Modify