Mary hart named godmother for oceania cruises' new marina

Oceania3

For those of you who don't like the choice for the Marina, grow up & get over it. FDR did what he thought was right and I applaud his decision. Great choice for her work with children. I doubt if any of the naysayers have even do a fraction of her good work with children.

Ask the Bard said, beware the green eyed monster....

Jeesh -- lighten up, will you.

A quick scan through the other posts leave me little wiser (so I expect I shall have to do a Google search - but who is Mary Hart?

Go to post #1 and click on the link provided by Mr. Rubacky, the corporate director of public relations for Prestige Cruise Holdings, the parent company of Oceania. All is explained.

For those of you who don't like the choice for the Marina, grow up & get over it. FDR did what he thought was right and I applaud his decision. Great choice for her work with children. I doubt if any of the naysayers have even do a fraction of her good work with children...

Well said, Len. Some people complain that they want to go to Heaven but don't want to die, first.

An example is HAL Zanndam, Mary & Kate Olson (PLEASE.........!):eek:

When you look at a list of Godmother's accross the board, you have poliyical funds raisers, lawyers, business people, actors, singers, sports figures, newscasters, a long time crusing housewife from NJ (Sopranos?) and royalty. :confused:

I'd like to think there is honor in asking that special person to be a ships Godmother. From what I've seen, marketing, a big name, money and maybe controversy drive a cruiseline decision. Sad! :(

I've completed 9 cruises:

NCL, Spirit, Sky & Epic

RCCL, Navagatot, Monarch

Carnival, Facination, Imagination, Triumph, Glory

Coming up, Jan 11, Carnival Destiny and in Sept 11, Disney Dream

Like all godmothers with the exception of Queen Elizabeth for Cunard this one is a joke. When one line choose Fiona from Shrek what more can you say? It's a marketing gimmick which lasts for one day with lots of photo ops during the christening. Can anyone truly say they have been influenced to sail a certain ship because of who the godmother is? I'm much more concerned with who the chef is.

Like all godmothers with the exception of Queen Elizabeth for Cunard this one is a joke. When one line choose Fiona from Shrek what more can you say? It's a marketing gimmick which lasts for one day with lots of photo ops during the christening. Can anyone truly say they have been influenced to sail a certain ship because of who the godmother is? I'm much more concerned with who the chef is.

A joke? Please!!! Are you aware that HAL uses the Royal family of the Nether lands as godmothers just to name one who is important.?

And no, I doubt that FDR chose Mary Hart for marketing purposes. She has truly done much to advance the cause of children.

Since you cited your concern with who the chef is, obviously you travel on your stomach. Sad.

That's certainly not why I cruise.

Leonid,

Thank you so much for your concern about which body parts I travel with. It truly warms my heart that you are such a caring person who never has a mean thing to say about anyone. How lucky your friends and family are to have such a positive influence around them all the time.

I happen to live in the same town as Mary Hart, have been around her many times and I will say this, she never misses a photo op. So this is right up her alley.

And let me know when the Dutch royal family or any other royal family sends one of its own to be godmother at Oceania instead of a past host of a gossip show. Not that that will make a difference either.

I was going to make a joke about how I don't care who the godmother of the Marina is, as long as it was not the same woman who was the godmother of the Titanic, but when I googled the search engine to find out who the godmother was, I found out the interesting trivia that the Titanic was never christened and a godmother was not named.

I was going to make a joke about how I don't care who the godmother of the Marina is, as long as it was not the same woman who was the godmother of the Titanic, but when I googled the search engine to find out who the godmother was, I found out the interesting trivia that the Titanic was never christened and a godmother was not named.
Another interesting bit of trivia. Mary Hart is confirmed as the godmother of Marina & she'll name the ship in Miami at a lavish, invitation-only christening ceremony on February 5, 2011. Which means that the maiden voyage of Marina on January 22, 2011 will actually take place before the official naming & christening of the new ship.

Another interesting bit of trivia. Mary Hart is confirmed as the godmother of Marina & she'll name the ship in Miami at a lavish, invitation-only christening ceremony on February 5, 2011. Which means that the maiden voyage of Marina on January 22, 2011 will actually take place before the official naming & christening of the new ship.

Good thing there won't be any icebergs in the Caribbean. My husband and I will actually be sailing from Miami on the same day as the christening (on a Royal Caribbean ship). We will keep an eye out for the festivities. Rather be sailing the Marina, but it will have to wait until July.

MightyQuinn,

Your post only underscores how much of a marketing gimmick the whole godmother thing is. They are doing all the photo ops for the US market instead before the true maiden voyage which is when it should really be done.

By the way, anyone know or care who the godmothers for the other three O ships are?

MightyQuinn,

Your post only underscores how much of a marketing gimmick the whole godmother thing is. They are doing all the photo ops for the US market instead before the true maiden voyage which is when it should really be done.

By the way, anyone know or care who the godmothers for the other three O ships are?

Mrs Watters for Insignia & Fana Holtz for Nautica

Good thing the Marina will be christened ... BUT ....after her Maiden Voyage.?...Should we be concerned?

Marion

I have no earthly idea who any of these ladies is.

The godmother of Insignia is the wife of one of the founders of the line. At least this is what the lady at the purser's desk told me when I asked who the lady in the photograph was (posted in Deck 4 at the reception/dock embarkation area).

The godmother of Insignia is the wife of one of the founders of the line. At least this is what the lady at the purser's desk told me when I asked who the lady in the photograph was (posted in Deck 4 at the reception/dock embarkation area).

Mr. and Mrs. Watters were on my very first Oceania cruise in 2008. We often saw them at the Terrace Cafe eating breakfast outside just as we common folk did.

I always thought that I had their presence to thank for our diversion to lovely Milos island in the Cyclades for a delightful afternoon (which we spent at the beach) when rough seas prevented our visit to Delos/Mykonos.

Marcia Del Rio is, of course, w=the wife of Frank Del Rio, CEO pf parent company Prestige Cruise Holdings and co-founder of Oceania.

Mrs. Watters is the wife of Joe Watters, the founder of Crystal Cruise Line and after its sale, the other original co-founder of Oceania along with FDR.

I don't know anything about the third lady.

Marcia Del Rio is, of course, w=the wife of Frank Del Rio, CEO pf parent company Prestige Cruise Holdings and co-founder of Oceania.

Mrs. Watters is the wife of Joe Watters, the founder of Crystal Cruise Line and after its sale, the other original co-founder of Oceania along with FDR.

I don't know anything about the third lady.

Fana Holtz is the wife of Abel Holtz, Cuban immigrants, who started a very successful bank in Miami, as well as other businesses. They are now retired philanthropists, who have been very generous to causes such as Parkinson's disease and Miami Childrens Hospital - the road near there has been renamed Abel Holtz Blvd.

And, right after the ceremony on Feb 5th, all of those invites set sail for an all expense paid, 3 day cruise. It's suppliers and people in the travel industry.

When is a Maiden Voyage not a Maiden Voyage?? How many Godmothers can one ship have?? When it is launched, after it's inaugural voyage or even when it has been re-named, as is the case of all Oceania's ships??

A Maiden Voyage is the vessels first voyage, for profit, under the owners name, after acceptance by the owners from the shipbuilder after trials and evaluations. An inaugural voyage could be one when the vessel is 10 years old, but, calling at a new port.

This practice adopted by cruise ship owners would be akin to re-baptising your children with new Godparents, and a new name. Give me a break, enough is enough with breaking long held traditions.

Archived