Items available for purchase onboard.

rajones007

Me being the worrier and clumsy fool that I am, I'd like to know what sort of everyday items are available for purchase onboard.

Like, if I drop my toothbrush in the toilet or spill my little bottle of mouthwash (which I am bound to do at some point), am I going to be able to purchase a replacement onboard the ship? Do they have pretty much everything a person would need? My GF wonders about *ahem* feminine hygiene items, as well. Or if she doesn't like the shampoo/conditioner/soap in the room, do they have popular brand name items for purchase in one of the shops?

If we run out of Tylenol or Advil for instance, are we able to get more while on the ship?

Also, what about clothing. Not necessarily swim suits, sandals, etc, which I presume would be available. But are items like socks and underwear available in one of the shops? (Hey, I told you I was a worrier!)

Any info and/or comments about this topic would be sincerely appreciated.

All the toiletries are available in the shop. They will not have a wide selection of brands. So for instance if you need toothpaste, they might just have one kind of Colgate.

Clothing - they have things like t-shirts, blouses, shorts and such. I doubt they have any underwear.

Personally, we have found they do offer a limited number of items in the shops onboard. But keep in mind that the shops have small amounts of things, such as a dose of this or a dose of that, no larger amounts like you would find at home in your local stores. Personal itmes (such as your girlfriend might need) really need to be brought with her as they are only available in the ladies restrooms one at a time.

I would make a list, and check it twice to make sure you are bringing along any type of toiletries you might need, including shampoo and conditioner. Clothing is more high end or Princess related logo items also. They also have very limited items in the shops for undergarments, I think I saw a package of one pair of ladies underwear once in a large size.

Don't rely on making these purchases onboard, take everything you think you MIGHT NEED with you.

Enjoy your cruise!

All the toiletries are available in the shop. They will not have a wide selection of brands. So for instance if you need toothpaste, they might just have one kind of Colgate

Also keep in mind that prices for toiletries and sundries are much higher in ship's shop than on land, e.g. cough syrup which I bought on land for about $4.- was $12.- on ship. And the ship's shops are closed while in port and also during the night while sailing.

As many have said, your selection on board is limited. And you could buy item in ports of call, but some places you'll be paying a lot more for the item. I was in one port and pointed out to DH that the deodorant was $12 for the same item we would pay $1.99. All depending what ports you will be stopping at. I wouldn't count on buying all your toiletries or you could be spending a small fortune just on those items. Like someone already posted, make a list and check it twice....that's what I do.

Oh, we fully intend to bring all our own personal items. I was just wondering what was available onboard because, like I said, I'm liable to drop my toothbrush in the toilet or do something else that's equally dumb. Hey, I'm a klutz sometimes and my life is defined by Murphys Law :) .

e.g. cough syrup which I bought on land for about $4.- was $12.- on ship.

Thanks. That's what I was curious about as well...cough syrup, tylenol, advil, band aids, rolaids, etc...things of a drugstore nature.

I'm not surprised it's 3x the price. But it's nice to know that if worse comes to worst then I know I can at least get something for a cough/headache/sunburn/whatever...

Personally, we have found they do offer a limited number of items in the shops onboard. But keep in mind that the shops have small amounts of things, such as a dose of this or a dose of that, no larger amounts like you would find at home in your local stores. Personal itmes (such as your girlfriend might need) really need to be brought with her as they are only available in the ladies restrooms one at a time.

I would make a list, and check it twice to make sure you are bringing along any type of toiletries you might need, including shampoo and conditioner. Clothing is more high end or Princess related logo items also. They also have very limited items in the shops for undergarments, I think I saw a package of one pair of ladies underwear once in a large size.

Don't rely on making these purchases onboard, take everything you think you MIGHT NEED with you.

Enjoy your cruise!

On the Princess cruises I have taken, I have, on numerous occasions, noticed boxes of feminine hygiene products of several types available in the ship's store. They were discreetly displayed behind the check-out counter and generally down low near the floor.

As far as Aleve, Tylenol, etc., they come in small packets of 2-4 tablets for about $2-3. each. At least that is what I paid the time my knee overextended. I was almost glad to pay it. But that's way high, of course, so I now bring whatever I think I might need, in reason.

If I dropped my toothbrush in the toilet, I'd probably do as I did as a child, and put the toothpaste on my index finger for the rest of the cruise.

M.

I'll add.. that believe it or not, all the clothing items you mentioned are probably available on the Big Sisters gift shop's.. Including underwear, which are boxer's with Princess logo's. They also offer a small but complete collection of formalwear for men and women, as well the usual logo wear stuff (think --> shirts- shorts-pants -sweats, ect). for any emergency clothing needs.

So all in all, all the thing's you posted and are "worried" about losing or being without are a non-issue, and really the only thing you absolutely can't forget before boarding is MONEY :)

Srpilo

If you're concerned about certain items such as toothbrushes, wouldn't it make better sense to stick an extra one or two in your suitcase? They're pretty light.

As the others have said, it's best not to depend on the ship's store to have what you want. There is a limited and overpriced supply of necessities. I'm the type who basically packs the medicine chest. My hubby, who normally gets on me for packing too much, isn't going to complain about taking all the medications as he really needed the Sudafed on one cruise. Of course, we ran out and had to track some more down in one port.

As for the clothing in the shop, IMO the women's clothing runs to tacky. We do buy Princess tee shirts.

If you are trying to keep down the weight of your luggage because you are flying in, always pad in a day pre-cruise so you can buy whatever you left behind. Usually a Target or other store like that would have a travel set of toiletries that you can purchase.

Archived