Tipping at the Pier in FLL

Carol_Hill

LAX--many years ago--my daughter's soccer team was playing in Hawaii--lots of kids and parents going (unfortunately I put the trip together) We weren't able to go on the first flight soooo myself and some friends from the team parents went later. When we arrived at the hotel in Waikiki--immediately we had a problem--One of the families that went on the first flight was missing 2 pieces of luggage. " What was I going to do about the luggage?" I soon found out that when the family that was missing their luggage -checked their luggage on the sidewalk at LAX--several of our grooup were in line and could hear the husband /father saying--you'd better not lose that luggage etc.--and he didn't tip!!--Well--his familys' luggage was shipped to NYC rather than Honolulu--those of our group that were there at the airport with them weren't in the least surprised. A lesson to be learned!! Maybe that tipping is a GOOD thing.

Nancy:D:D

I think it depends more on where you embark. When I have embarked in FLL, it feels like the porters expect you to tip. However in Seattle or Vancouver, the porters just took our bags and walked off without giving me time to tip them.

I also remember one time the porter at FLL pulled out a brown paper bag getting ready to put the tip money away before I even pulled out my wallet.

Funny story that happened when we were heading to the airport in FLL. We got a taxi at the port and when we were almost at the airport, I noticed that there was a machine to use your credit card. Since we didn't have a lot of cash left (we really tipped the cruise staff), I said should we just pay by mastercard. So, dh swipped his card and since we never had done it before, it took a little longer. Driver was just sitting in his seat. We always hand the tip to waiters,etc rather than adding it to the card. Anyway, my husband took out cash to tip and usually the driver opens the door but we figured he was doing something with the credit card charge so we just got out. But he never got out of the taxi. He popped the trunk open. We stood there for a couple minutes and then took our luggage out. I closed the trunk and he took off immediately. My husband still hand the tip in his hand.

So, I guess you are suppose to add the tip to your charge!!!!!!! and we thought we were doing him a favor by not recording the amount of the tip.

I forgot about it but this post made me remember what our hotel van driver said when we got to the port and they started unpacking the van. He said "This is the guy you should tip well if you want your luggage to get to your cabin in one piece"

Like I said, get into the real world.. Pay $5 and get along.. At the pier, at the airport, wherever.. Tip.. Period..

Well said.

On our first cruise back in the 70's. We took Carnival's transfers from the Miami airport to the cruise port. We were told to wait in the bus until all the luggage was taken off. It was roped off in the next parking spot. Several people started to go get theirs and the bus driver said. "Wait, you will get your luggage after you give me a tip".

We have never taken a ship's transfers since then.

So I'm just curious. There's a clear implication in this threads that the porters are extorting money for service. That's quite possible, of course, but does anyone have any concrete evidence that this is so? I mean, refusing to tip and then finding their luggage is trashed when it reaches the cabin? Or is this maybe a way of unfairly projecting our suspicions onto the working class?

It all boils down to anecdotal evidence, anyway. My luggage went missing on a trip to Hawaii, too, as in a story above. But not tipping had nothing to do with it - I checked it in at the airline counter and it ended up in Cleveland. A certain percentage of bags just lamentably wander.

When my mother and I cruised out of FLL, she slipped a porter 5 or 10 bucks to go find her a wheelchair. He just disappeared, never to be seen again. So if I were to take that story at face value, I'd conclude that tipping, at least before the fact, is a way to ensure NOT getting service.

We do tip a "porter" (the one that transport your luggage from the luggage area to a cab or vise versa).

We do not tip the person that swings my suitcase over a distance of about 3 feet onto a cart. Never did, never will, never had a problem.

I have been on 8 Princess cruises out of FLL. I have always tipped the porter at the pier. On one trip I failed to do so,and as I was in line I noticed that our bags were next to the bin and not in one. When the luggage arrived in the stateroom BOTH of the bags had a wheel broken off.They do get even with you if you do not tip

I always tip.When a porter stays with me at the airport taking my luggage from carousel onto trolley and through custom check to taxi or car I always give a generous tip.I measure the tip by the time spent with me.Example a coach driver handing me my luggage off the coach just a couple of bucks.Or at the port the person taking my luggage and putting it down the shute likewise.

When our Cruise Connection bus stopped out in the parking lot the porter had to transport all of them over to the dock. I gave him $5 for three bags and he said, "Is this all?" I said yes, because at that time I wasn't really aware of the FLL situation. When our bags arrived a nice leather name tag had been cut off the bag.

I've learned the hard way and now tip generously, even if the bus stops right at the doc and the porters are just putting the bags into a bin. With a smile on my face and a very sincere, "Thanks you so much" Cheap insurance.

As you know, the porters are paid VERY well and tipping is not encouraged. That being said, if you choose to tip them (as I do) feel free. If you do not tip them be sure and remember their number (they have them), then, if they harass you or anything happens to your luggage, report it to the port authority as soon as you an.

Yes, they do take action. In San Francisco if you are hassled for a tip, or you see them mishandling your bags, report it to one of the pier staff and they will relay the information to the union shop steward and disciplinary action will be taken immediately. I have seen more than one sent home without pay.

As I said..extortion, the port authority police should be monitoring these porters who deliberately damage bags.

I would consider it insurance, do you really want to save $5 and then have to worry about your luggage from embarkation to it gets to your stateroom (if it gets there at all)

I would consider it insurance, do you really want to save $5 and then have to worry about your luggage from embarkation to it gets to your stateroom (if it gets there at all)

What sad society we live in if we have to give in to this practise.

What sad society we live in if we have to give in to this practise.

EXACTLY, they certainly would not get away with it in Australia, nor probably in Canada and UK. I mean these porter blokes are getting $35 per hour reportedly, a fortune compared to the poorly paid ships service staff, whom I have no problem tipping.

I could not give a toss about the $5, it is the principle of the matter, 'extortion' and these blokes are getting away with it, no doubt supported and encouraged by their 'supervisors' who as reported collect the porterage tips in the 'big brown paper bag.' I like what San Francisco is doing about it.

I have a name for it..'institutionalised corruption.'

EXACTLY, they certainly would not get away with it in Australia, nor probably in Canada and UK. I mean these porter blokes are getting $35 per hour reportedly, a fortune compared to the poorly paid ships service staff, whom I have no problem tipping.

I could not give a toss about the $5, it is the principle of the matter, 'extortion' and these blokes are getting away with it, no doubt supported and encouraged by their 'supervisors' who as reported collect the porterage tips in the 'big brown paper bag.' I like what San Francisco is doing about it.

I have a name for it..'institutionalised corruption.'

Good for you fight the good fight, and I hope you have clothes to wear. While I agree that it should not happen, is it worth the risk?

Good for you fight the good fight, and I hope you have clothes to wear. While I agree that it should not happen, is it worth the risk?

No worries mate, just call me a 'crusader.' Probably the 'blue blood' still in my veins from my former vocation, LOL.

Enjoy your Christmas, peace brother.

Maybe one could argue, $5 this year, but maybe next year it will require $10 or $20.....people who extort often become more greedy.

I find this very disturbing.

Does anyone know how early the porters will accept bags at the Ft. Laud. pier for a Crown Princess Sailing? The itin. shows 1:00pm checkin time, but from previous cruises on RCCL, we have usually been at the pier between 11a-12n for similar check in times, and had no problem. We have always tipped the porters a little more, and were always able to check the bags earlier than the recommended check in time. I am only asking because of rental car drop off times, we'll probabaly be at the pier around 11:30am with the bags.

Thanks

Archived