Tipping at the Pier in FLL

Carol_Hill

This thread has me thinking back to older cruises. Earlier this year, we checked in around 11:00 at FLL. The van was full of people and a little confusing as they unloaded our luggage - people just standing around - most were first time cruisers and not sure where to go. My dh kind of forgot about the guys loading the luggage at the port. He had the tip money in his hand trying to get it to the driver. He finally got to him and honestly forgot about the giving anything to the guys loading - kind of got pushed away. As we were walking to our cabin, I asked him how much he tipped the luggage guys and he said "I completely forgot - never really noticed them with all the people standing around". We were in a suite and have always received our luggage almost immediately. We were having a good time and forgot about our luggage BUT it didn't get to our cabin until way after we sailed. I actually got a little worried that I wouldn't have anything to ear to dinner. Now, I'm wondering if they held it back because of no tip.

If there is a crowd - things can get a little nuts.

As you know, the porters are paid VERY well and tipping is not encouraged. That being said, if you choose to tip them (as I do) feel free. If you do not tip them be sure and remember their number (they have them), then, if they harass you or anything happens to your luggage, report it to the port authority as soon as you an.

Yes, they do take action. In San Francisco if you are hassled for a tip, or you see them mishandling your bags, report it to one of the pier staff and they will relay the information to the union shop steward and disciplinary action will be taken immediately. I have seen more than one sent home without pay.

I can attest to this!!!

Good luck in complaining to the port authorities. Remember, the porters belong to the Teamsters Union, a very powerful group.

Yes heard about that Union, Mafia links ?

What if every cruise pax took a stand and refused to tip these rogues at the pier, we have to start somewhere. Entrenched corruption that is what it is.

Wanna bet?

One time we gave the porter $6 for 3 bags and he looked at it and said "is this it?" Then he opened the bills and said "Oh, OK" He thought we gave him only $2.

My advice is ignore the "no tipping required" signs, pay the ransom and be assured your bags will greet you later.

First, it's only money. :)

Second, DW gives 2 to 5 depending on the weight of her bag.

Third, I pack lite and carry my own bag. Good exercise.

When we went on Grand in October we arrived at FLL in a private car. The driver took our bags out and there was a guy looking at me with his hand out. Asking if he could take our cases. We said no as we hadn't yet got labels on them. He looked at us angrily and moved to the next people with his hand out. They paid him and he handed the money to a main man who was getting all the money. Then he moved the bags off the floor and on to the trolley. The total time of his work was less than 10 seconds.

We felt so intimidated (I'm ex Army and my wife is a serving Police Officer) that we got our tags then put our bags next to the trolley, paid our tip and walked away while he did another 10 seconds work.

Just from reading this thread, you get a sense of peoples fear and dread of dealing with these people.

It needs to be stopped. The cruise lines should take charge of this appalling practice.

It has put me off cruising out of FLL where we have found it the worst.

At LAX we were checking in at curbside and the guy said how much it'd be for each bag and then said "plus $5 tip." I was really surprised, but paid. The next month, in San Diego, they couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. What a difference.

The first time I ever checked in curbside, the person taking my baggage told ME how much we should tip..

After awhile, the intimidation gets worse. And, there is a strong sense of entitilement. I always tip the porters, but I was intimidated by that guy.

As you know, the porters are paid VERY well and tipping is not encouraged. That being said, if you choose to tip them (as I do) feel free. If you do not tip them be sure and remember their number (they have them), then, if they harass you or anything happens to your luggage, report it to the port authority as soon as you an.

Yes, they do take action. In San Francisco if you are hassled for a tip, or you see them mishandling your bags, report it to one of the pier staff and they will relay the information to the union shop steward and disciplinary action will be taken immediately. I have seen more than one sent home without pay.

"...if you are hassled for a tip..." This past February while debarking Eurodam (Port Everglades) we asked a porter for assistance with our luggage. At the time I had a broken arm so carrying our own luggage was out of the question. After exiting customs the porter asked our mode of transportation and we told him we parked in the Midport Parking Garage across the street. He took our bags to the car and when I handed him, what I thought was an extremely generous tip of $25 for our 3 bags he snips back to me that, "for garage service $40 is the minimum." I grab back the $25 from his hand and say, "my apologies, I didn't realize you where so greedy, here's just the $5 for you." Needless to say he looked like he wanted to strangle us, but TIPS are supposed to be voluntary not expected. I have no problem tipping porters, bellmen, etc... for handling my luggage for me, but to demand more money is too much!

Every time we have given a tip, it went right into the porter's pocket. I have never seen a "Big Boss with a brown paper bag". That sounds like a fairy tale. :eek:

The porters are longshoreman and get paid real good. They are on a 6 hour shift and usualy are working 2-3 hours overtime each day triple time. I have several friends 9 SOME WITH COLLEGE DEGREES on the west coast and they are making $120,000/ yr. Actualy the long shoreman job is one of the best paying jobs in United States with great benefits and retirement. On the west coast, the longshormen are not allowed to take tips.

"...if you are hassled for a tip..." This past February while debarking Eurodam (Port Everglades) we asked a porter for assistance with our luggage. At the time I had a broken arm so carrying our own luggage was out of the question. After exiting customs the porter asked our mode of transportation and we told him we parked in the Midport Parking Garage across the street. He took our bags to the car and when I handed him, what I thought was an extremely generous tip of $25 for our 3 bags he snips back to me that, "for garage service $40 is the minimum." I grab back the $25 from his hand and say, "my apologies, I didn't realize you where so greedy, here's just the $5 for you." Needless to say he looked like he wanted to strangle us, but TIPS are supposed to be voluntary not expected. I have no problem tipping porters, bellmen, etc... for handling my luggage for me, but to demand more money is too much!

Well played, in my opinion you overtipped by $5. In this instance there is no payback possible. Not sure I would have had the guts to do this, but I applaud yours.

On the front end I have always tipped $5 to $10, but never felt like the porter was expecting anything. Not sure how I would react if my tip amount was "questioned".

My experiences have been limited to FLL and Galveston,

But surely this intimidation is brought about by the NEED to overtip everyone. I am always intimidated by these overpaid porters in FLL, the only place where there is a sign telling you not to tip. I applaud the poster with the guts to take back the tip in the garage, well done you!

These people are just thugs and should be sorted. unfortunately it will carry on as long as passengers are willing to hand over the money and there are no shortage of those in the US culture

Terry

But surely this intimidation is brought about by the NEED to overtip everyone. I am always intimidated by these overpaid porters in FLL, the only place where there is a sign telling you not to tip. I applaud the poster with the guts to take back the tip in the garage, well done you!

These people are just thugs and should be sorted. unfortunately it will carry on as long as passengers are willing to hand over the money and there are no shortage of those in the US culture

Terry

Spot on Terry.

First, it's only money. :)

Second, DW gives 2 to 5 depending on the weight of her bag.

Third, I pack lite and carry my own bag. Good exercise.

I think some of us are talking about the 'thugs' who intimidate you to give more money....$2-5 seems about right for me, but some of us have experienced aggression and intimidation to give more..,,,,the experience that I had felt like a threat. And, it scared me.

I think some of us are talking about the 'thugs' who intimidate you to give more money....$2-5 seems about right for me, but some of us have experienced aggression and intimidation to give more..,,,,the experience that I had felt like a threat. And, it scared me.

Then can I suggest that you make a formal complaint. Posting that you felt threatened on Cruise Critic isn't going to do much.

Then can I suggest that you make a formal complaint. Posting that you felt threatened on Cruise Critic isn't going to do much.

Thanks so much for the suggestion...and yes, a formal, written complaint was made...

I was giving my experience, not looking for someone to give me a solution. I think I handled it well.

We arranged air and transfers with Princess, should we tip the driver and the porter? Is it possible to take your own bags once at the pier?

It used to be that the money you paid for the Princess transfers included a tip, ..I can't remember exactly where I read that,....but I haven't used Princess lately.

the last time I used Princess was in Australia and a taxi to the airport was something like $90 or so...very expensive so Princess transfer was a good deal.

Mukluk,

San Francisco is on the west coast and the Porters (who are ILWU-longshoremen) and they certainly do take tips, even though there are signs saying tipping is not necessary. Mysteriously the signs disappear now and then, only to be replaced by the port authority.

Porters in San Pedro and San Diego also take tips.

No flames please-this is just an observation and only my humble observation.

Having said all that, I find it interesting that the folks who are the most appalled and are showing the most bravado regarding what they say they would do to an aggressive porter, are those from areas that are not known for tipping.

No flames please-this is just an observation and only my humble observation.

Having said all that, I find it interesting that the folks who are the most appalled and are showing the most bravado regarding what they say they would do to an aggressive porter, are those from areas that are not known for tipping.

Probably because those from areas not known for tipping are absolutely appalled that you can be intimidated into giving tips which are supposed to be discretionary based on service given. I am from the UK originally and have lived in Canada for 28 years, We always tip, many times over and above for exceptional service. We always tip these thugs although rarely sail out of FLL anymore. I will not tip $5 per bag for someone to throw it a few feet. I can't get my head around the fact that these longshoremen can come on a bus and demand what they should be given with the implied threat if you don't your luggage will go missing. I'ts appalling, especially as these guys make good money anyway, unlike the crew members who do the majority of the hefting. If they made $5 per bag and count on 2 bags for every passenger that's an awful lot of extra dosh for a few hours work. Sorry to vent, it's something i feel very concerned about but has been brought about by the whole tipping culture.

Terry

Well said.

On our first cruise back in the 70's. We took Carnival's transfers from the Miami airport to the cruise port. We were told to wait in the bus until all the luggage was taken off. It was roped off in the next parking spot. Several people started to go get theirs and the bus driver said. "Wait, you will get your luggage after you give me a tip".

We have never taken a ship's transfers since then.

Aww.....yes......happened to us also. The porter comes on the bus tells us that he will be the last person to see our luggage and to make sure we tip well. We are suppose to wait until all luggage is unloaded from the bus and then claim ours by giving him our tip. And this was also on a Carnival transfer. Miami has got to be the worse out of all the ports we have left from. Never again and this happened twice to us leaving from Miami starting in 1998.

It used to be that the money you paid for the Princess transfers included a tip, ..I can't remember exactly where I read that,....but I haven't used Princess lately.

the last time I used Princess was in Australia and a taxi to the airport was something like $90 or so...very expensive so Princess transfer was a good deal.

Yes I read that also but after reading it thoroughly it was only for the driver and not the porter who took your bags.

Archived