BOA Visa double points ending soon

BroncosFan2010

It is still not clear to me how the program is ending. I asked the agent today if I could redeem points for OBC for a December 2011 cruise and she said that it appeared that would be allowed, as long as I apply for the redemption prior to March 31, 2011.

What I am wondering is, why is BOA waiting until January to send us letters about this? Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

That seems to be the case, based on what the agent told me today. I guess the only way you will know is to try it, by perhaps redeeming some now. I'll be working on redeeming mine in the next few days, then will stop using the card, although I won't actually cancel it in case things change again, or the new redemption offers are appealing.

That seems to be the case, based on what the agent told me today. I guess the only way you will know is to try it, by perhaps redeeming some now. I'll be working on redeeming mine in the next few days, then will stop using the card, although I won't actually cancel it in case things change again, or the new redemption offers are appealing.

Good idea about redeeming some now and see what happens, thanks....but sure hoped to have been able to build a lot of OBC by next summer...oh well it seems all good things must INDEED come to an end!!!!

I just never had any trouble redeeming points at all. I've read here where many have but it's been easy for me so I'm disappointed that this little perk will be gone. I buy most everything with the card, pay it off each month but points build up fast that way. I'll miss it....:(

remember that when you cancel a card it can impact your credit score..if we don't use it & they cancel us, I don't think that counts as a negative... (???)

The way canceling a credit card can impact your score is via one of the following two ways:

*One factor in credit rating is the ratio of your current credit card debt to the maximum credit limit you have. If you carry credit card debt and cancelling a credit card causes your total credit limit across all your credits cards to drop significantly, your credit score can be negatively impacted. If you do not carry credit card debt or if your total credit limit across all your cards is large enough that the canceling the card will not lower your total credit limit by much, then your credit rating is not impacted.

*Another factor is the length of time you have held the credit card. If you have a couple of credit cards you have held for longer than the one you are canceling, your credit score should not be impacted. If the card you are cancelling is one of the cards you have held the longest, then your credit rating can be negatively impacted.

It does not matter if you cancelled the card, or they dropped you.

thanks for the info..seems we may cancel the Celebrity BOA card at an appropriate time.....and take the ding if we get one....sad b/c we like to maintain our high score..

Our BOA Celebrity Card is a few yrs old & we have had our BOA Royal for much longer .The Royal card had much higher credit limit, so just recently b/c we now prefer Celebrity we went thru the process of re-balancing the credit limits of the two cards to make them more equal.. This involved first adding DH to the Celebrity card which counted as a credit inquiry....then we were able to shift the balance..

I wonder if we can re-shift the balance back to what it was previously & then cancel the card? probably not worth it if the BOA Royal card is going to terminate soon as well......

what is everyone else going to do with their Celebrity cards once the prgram ends? we only used ours for cruise expenditures to get the dbl points..

On further review, while I will now make my purchases on cards that give better rewards, I will keep my BOA card since it has no annual fee. I'll just put it in a drawer in case of emergency. Should BOA begin to impose an annual fee, then I will cancel it. The only advantages were the double points earned and the ability to redeem for OBC-R. When those features go, it won't be my card of choice anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a Celebrity BoA visa and received this message in a letter today

"The Bank of America Celebrity Rewards card program will end March 31, 2011."

"Your Celebrity Rewards Visa will be replaced by a new Bank of America Visa Signature credit catd with WorldPoints rewards."

"The last day to earn double Worldpoints is February 28, 2011."

"The last day to redeem your Worldpoints rewards for Celebrity Cruise purchases is March 31, 2011"

"After March 31, 2011, anay unused points will be available for redemption through the WorldPoints Program."

We have a Celebrity BoA visa and received this message in a letter today

"The Bank of America Celebrity Rewards card program will end March 31, 2011."

"Your Celebrity Rewards Visa will be replaced by a new Bank of America Visa Signature credit catd with WorldPoints rewards."

"The last day to earn double Worldpoints is February 28, 2011."

"The last day to redeem your Worldpoints rewards for Celebrity Cruise purchases is March 31, 2011"

"After March 31, 2011, anay unused points will be available for redemption through the WorldPoints Program."

Thanks for your post.

So glad we redeemed our points for cash. No difficulty doing it on line. Received the check quickly.

Now we're going back to our airline card -oh, well, the X card was nice while it lasted.

We had 121,000 points on our Celebrity Card as of December, and I'm sure with Christmas shopping we will have the 125,000 needed for the cruise for 2. I was blown away when I got the letter. I'm just waiting until the next points post and then keeping my fingers crossed that we can book a cruise. We've been saving since we went on a European cruise in May of 2009. I'm going to be crushed if we don't get this trip. Do you have any suggestions about how to ensure that this program works like I expected it to?

I got my notice from BOA today. i have til 2/28 to get double points for Celebrity and I have til 3/31 to use my Celebrity points towards Celebrity.

I'm bummed. We use that card alot because we've gotten our free cruise and other things with it.

I don't really care about world points. I can use a different card for world points. I m not a happy camper!!! :(:(:(:(

Charlie

I also just got a notice in the mail yesterday about the discontinuation of the Celebrity rewards card. I am quite upset because we are frequent Celebrity cruisers (more than 15 last year) and have received over $3000 cash back due to this card. I was receiving 2% cash back for Celebrity purchases. My other credit card only gives me 1% back.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I hear they are continuing the Royal Caribbean card. Seems weird that they would discontinue the one but not the other.

Thanks in advance.

I also am bummed. I just today turned in my points as we were advised that we had until 3/31 to use them. They weren't much this time around and I'll probably loose some, but they can be sure I'll NEVER use this card again. I'll pay off the balance and be done with it! This was our card of choice for all things Celebrity so now it's going away.

I don't understand it either. I also understand that the American Express card might not be good either (the Celebrity one).

I contacted Celebrity and they also confirmed that we needed to use the points by 3/31/ Sooo, just $50. ship board credit this time around.

When I received their confirmation it didn't even advise you to call Celebrity and notify them of the credit! I contacted our TA and she's checking it out. If we don't let Celeb know, how will we receive the credits????

Just more paperwork and aggrivation!!!!

OK. Now I'm even MORE anxious. Do you actually have to USE the credit you got with Celebrity points by March 31, or do you just have to get the OBC ordered? BIG panic because I looked online and they did not credit me with my most recent months worth of points. I had 121,000 points in December, and that is the exact same amount it shows for January. If they had credited me with the points I should have earned, I would have enough for the cruise for two. BUT WILL I HAVE TO ACTUALLY GO ON THE CRUISE BY MARCH 31, or do you think I can just BOOK it now and go whenever?? I guess I can call tomorrow, but I am a mess just thinking about it.

Hi Everyone !

It's true the program is coming to an end. I believe its for both the Celebrity Amex Card and the Celebrity Visa Card. I cannot offer any insight as to why it's ending.

The key points to remember are, you won't be losing the card, nor your points. As the cards are part of the BOA Worldpoints program, I'd expect them to convert to a BOA branded Worldpoints Card, and your points should be able to be used towards Worldpoints Rewards.

Both BOA and Celebrity told me the deadline for earning double points for Celebrity purchases is 2/28/11. The last date to redeem points for Celebrity Rewards is 3/31/11. Celebrity Rewards should be available for dates after 3/31/11 as long as you redeem before the 3/31/11 deadline - That's the key.

I realize some wont be happy without the Celebrity Rewards feature... but the reality is, you could always redeem the points for Cash, so the Celebrity Rewards weren't that exciting. Remaining in the Worldpoints program is a plus. I plan to keep the cards until we see what Celebrity's future plans are. Let's hope they come up with other options for us !

If you have any questions, please let me know, and I will try my best to find answers. I hope this helps !

I hear they are continuing the Royal Caribbean card. Seems weird that they would discontinue the one but not the other.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Tommy !

Please read my above post. They are continuing with the Royal Caribbean card. This only effects the Celebrity branded cards.

THANK YOU ANDY! You answered one of my big questions. I think the reason the card was exciting to me is that if I get "cash back" on a card it somehow just disappears into my budget, if that makes sense. With this card, I was (and still am) planning to go on another Celebrity cruise that will (hopefully) be as wonderful as the Solstice Med. cruise DH & I went on in 2009 to celebrate our 20th. That's when I got this Visa in the first place. If I just get "cash back" I'll probably feel like I have to use it on something sensible. Of course, none of it is sensible if you carry a balance on the card. We use ours for EVERYTHING and pay it off in full each month, so the cruise really will be a freebie. Is that TMI??

Thanks Andy,

I tried a live chat with BOA yesterday about the Amex but after I waited and answered all their questions, they booted me off saying I'd been inactive for 10 minutes! I gave up. I still have not received a letter, but I received a new card in November. I guess I'll use it to pay for my May 1 cruise and put in for my OBC before March 30 and hope it works.

LouisianaMamma,

I feel the same way you do. My husband doesn't count that money into our travel budget so it's "free money" to use on the trip. i know it's silly but it works for me.

Cynthia

Archived