Formal nights

Austykatie

Can anyone help me with this? I am going on the Ruby 1/30/2011, this is our first cruise and I need to plan on what to bring for formal nights. What the dress code is? Also do we have to do formal night? We have anytime dinning does that make a difference?

Thanks in advance! We are so excited!

You don't need to participate in formal night, but if you want to eat in the main dining room you should dress appropriately. On the Crown in November the ladies attire ranged from dress pants & a dressy jacket/blouse, to full blown ballgowns and bridesmaid dresses. Gentlemen wore suits, or sports coats with a nice shirt, and some wore tuxedos.

We just got off the Star Princess, and noticed how many passengers had dressed up for formal nights. I had never seen it that much before on any other cruiseline. Anytime dining is in the main dining rooms, so you should dress appropriately. There is always the Horizon Court Buffet if you do not want to dress up.

Can anyone help me with this? I am going on the Ruby 1/30/2011, this is our first cruise and I need to plan on what to bring for formal nights. What the dress code is? Also do we have to do formal night?

No, you don't have to participate in formal nights. Personally, I detest them!

On the Ruby Princess are two very good specialty restaurants: Crown Grill and Sabatini's. If you want to opt out, either (or both) are excellent options and offer very good value. If you think you might be interested, make your reservations shortly after you board. If you change your mind later, you can always cancel.

You don't need to participate in formal night, but if you want to eat in the main dining room you should dress appropriately. On the Crown in November the ladies attire ranged from dress pants & a dressy jacket/blouse, to full blown ballgowns and bridesmaid dresses. Gentlemen wore suits, or sports coats with a nice shirt, and some wore tuxedos.

I definately agree with this description, even at anytime dinning. :)

We're also anytime dining on this cruise Austykatie. We're going to do at least one of the formal nights (I still need to get a dress, but I'm holding out for an "after New Years" sale before I buy one), but not sure about the second one. We're also going to hit Crown Grill on Monday, the Princess Cays day, as it's our anniversary.

Can't wait to go - 47 more days :)

We're also anytime dining on this cruise Austykatie. We're going to do at least one of the formal nights (I still need to get a dress, but I'm holding out for an "after New Years" sale before I buy one), but not sure about the second one. We're also going to hit Crown Grill on Monday, the Princess Cays day, as it's our anniversary.

Forget about a dress. Use one pair of nice black pants and two dressier tops.

Please...no "bridesmaid" dresses, unless you're in a wedding! Evening gowns are fine...so are cocktail dresses. Go to a department store and hit the "dressy" area....there will be PLENTY of "formal" items. If you're unsure, ask the salesperson what's "formal"...they know.

You don't have to buy there, but you will get an idea of what you're looking for.

You don't need a "ballgown" and tiara! But, if you would wear it in the daytime, in your daily life, it's NOT formal.

Please...no "bridesmaid" dresses, unless you're in a wedding! Evening gowns are fine...so are cocktail dresses. Go to a department store...

I disagree. Unless the "bridesmaid" dress was the "dress from h*ll," it may be entirely appropriate for formal night on a cruise ship....my daughter has a couple and thank goodness she now has another place to wear them. With today's weddings, brides can be wonderully tasteful, and the full length gowns get put to some good use!!!

Thank you everyone for all the info. I have a black dress that I think will be perfect for this! I was the bridesmaid in a wedding back in April in Las Vegas and I think it will do the trick. However this is not the usual bridesmaid dress you are thinking, I actually bought it at Lane Bryant on the clearance rack. I have gotten alot of use with this dress (so has my friend) so I am covered, now to I just need to get my boyfriend a sport coat and some black dress pants.

Aspensmom,

I am so excited we are already at the 47day mark! That is just crazy time is flying by! Where are you guys coming from? Are you coming in on the day we leave? We are coming from Minnesota and flying in the day before. I just need to find somewhere for us to stay near the Fort Lauderdale Port.

Happy shopping for your dress..What a great way to spend your anniversary.

Aspensmom,

I am so excited we are already at the 47day mark! That is just crazy time is flying by! Where are you guys coming from? Are you coming in on the day we leave? We are coming from Minnesota and flying in the day before. I just need to find somewhere for us to stay near the Fort Lauderdale Port.

Happy shopping for your dress..What a great way to spend your anniversary.

I am crazy excited too.. can't wait to experience our first cruise :) We're flying in from Winnipeg thru Toronto to Florida on the 29th (Saturday). We're at Riverside Hotel both before and after - booked them both through blind bids on Hotwire and Priceline. I hear it's a nice area to stroll around there, so maybe it won't be so bad.

Haven't seen you much on the roll call - but glad to see you're still around :) Hopefully our Roll Call will have a get together and we can meet everyone!

So, I can go to formal night in bare feet and boxers? :rolleyes:

I don't know about the boxer shorts but the dress suggestions never stipulate whether shoes must be worn or not... Go ahead and give it a try, let us know if it works.

There's no need for two different outfits for formal nights. No one will notice that you're wearing the same one, and if they do, they won't really care.

One of our tablemates wore the same outfit on both formal nights. I did not realize she had repeated it until I got home and noticed it in my photos.

There's no need for two different outfits for formal nights. No one will notice that you're wearing the same one, and if they do, they won't really care.

One of our tablemates wore the same outfit on both formal nights. I did not realize she had repeated it until I got home and noticed it in my photos.

Totally a matter of choice. Your opinion is different than mine. I know what I wear even if you don't. We have seen some people wear the same clothes everyday on a 7 day cruise and............... OMG!

I am crazy excited too.. can't wait to experience our first cruise :) We're flying in from Winnipeg thru Toronto to Florida on the 29th (Saturday). We're at Riverside Hotel both before and after - booked them both through blind bids on Hotwire and Priceline. I hear it's a nice area to stroll around there, so maybe it won't be so bad.

Haven't seen you much on the roll call - but glad to see you're still around :) Hopefully our Roll Call will have a get together and we can meet everyone!

Ohh your staying a extra night before an after also? We thought it would be fun to come back from the cruise and watch the Super Bowl in FL so we decided to stay Sunday night also. I will have to check out The Riverside. I havent been on Roll Call that much I will have to join in the conversation..

You are allowed to wear whatever you want because you are paying for the cruise and therefore you are the customer!

You're also "allowed" to pick your nose at the table, eat with your mouth open, and make rude comments to your tablemates. And when you go to Macy's, you can wander out of the dressing room in your underwear. After all, you're the customer.

Don't start.

Ohh your staying a extra night before an after also? We thought it would be fun to come back from the cruise and watch the Super Bowl in FL so we decided to stay Sunday night also. I will have to check out The Riverside. I havent been on Roll Call that much I will have to join in the conversation..

LOL Well, go ahead, call me a Canadian girl. I had no idea the Super Bowl was on that day! DH is a hockey fan - I already checked to see if there was an NHL game that day in Miami, but no such luck. Definitely check out Roll Call :cool:

Archived