Is NCL abandoning US

Uniall

Have you also considered the economic situation?

Europe is probably not suffering quite as badly as the US - so more disposable income for people to cruise. I think NCL have made a smart move here.

I, for one, am quite pleased that this is happening, being an NCL fan.

I am not going to comment on the US v Europe tipping reference above or the complaining reference... :rolleyes:

wow, I think much of Europe is suffering more than America.

Nita

wow, I think much of Europe is suffering more than America.

Nita

Think of the nationalities you meet on cruises - the Germans are doing OK - UK is certainly better off than "Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain". There are enough people around Europe with money to support several cruise ships. The trend towards 'no-fly' (to which I subscribe) means that to tap into the European market the ship needs to go to the passengers not the other way around.

I suspect that the flooding of the Caribbean market by the competition has prompted this move in part as well. the Caribbean itineraries seem to be very same-ish - new itineraries means new cruisers (and hopefully for NCL repeat cruisers).

I suppose we shall have to wait and see whether this is a good commercial move or not. Personally this move will be good for my quality of life (if not my bank balance!)

With the Spirit remaining in the Mediterranean for the winter season 2012-2013, which NCL ship is going to replace it in New Orleans. I can understand the lack of a ship from New Orleans during the summer season. Will New Orleans follow Los Angeles, Charleston, and Houston as homeports abandoned by NCL?

Note: The Jade was homeported in Barcelona, the Pride of America in Honolulu, the Sun in Port Canaveral, the Star in Tampa, the Gem and Jewel in New York, and the Epic, Pearl, Dawn, and Sky in Miami the previous winter.

With two new ships on the horizon perhaps either the Gem, Jewel, or Dawn can be relocated to NOLA. At least for the Fall/Winter..

When 7 years old, I walked my 5 year old sister home from school to find an empty house with no mother or father, no clothes, and no furniture. Had we been abandoned? As we sat on the front steps with my sister sobbing, I tried to be brave and strong for her. Our next door neighbor came running over to invite us for milk and cookies. She explained that our parents were moving everyting to a new BIG house and would be back for us at supper time. We grew to love the new big house, which is still the focus of happy childhood memories of home, hearth & family. But the initial gut wrenching fear of abandonment is remembered, as well.

Are there any parallels between my childhood fears of abondonment and NCLs major foray to Europe? What do you think?

LOL you gotta be kiddin'..............

LOL you gotta be kiddin'..............

Hi Steve,

:) I'm delighted you got a laugh out of my story.

:eek: Am I kiddin? Maybe, then maybe not.

:rolleyes: Don't forget that I'm Irish-American and you know what that means...........LOL

;) In any event, I wanted to kick the issue into high gear and thought a little story about trepidation, fear, abadonment, etc would work just fine. Do you think it's working ? .........LOL

John

PS

By the by, the next door neighbor's name was Mrs. Peterson and she baked the best oatmeal raisin cookies I've ever eaten.........:p

Yes I really wish NCL would use the UK. Thats why I went to Royal Caribbean recently. I am currently torn between RCL from Southampton or flying to take an NCL in Europe.

Then you'll be doubly disappointed! Apart from the Jewel of the Seas going to/from Harwich, RCL seems to have deserted the UK as well.

It seems only a year ago that both NCL and RCL were commencing most of their transatlantics from Southampton or Dover. Harwich seems like one of the most difficult places to get to/from for most of the UK (OK, apart from those living in Harwich!)

Then you'll be doubly disappointed! Apart from the Jewel of the Seas going to/from Harwich, RCL seems to have deserted the UK as well.

It seems only a year ago that both NCL and RCL were commencing most of their transatlantics from Southampton or Dover. Harwich seems like one of the most difficult places to get to/from for most of the UK (OK, apart from those living in Harwich!)

A good example of 'Rip-Off Britain' I suspect. How long before Harwich jumps on the bandwagon and jacks up their port charges as well?

I'd forgotten that the Independence of the Seas does a regular series of European cruises from Southampton. I was thinking of transatlantic cruises when I made that statement. OTOH the Independence cruises seem pricey. Ah well! There's always Celebrity (for the moment)

A good example of 'Rip-Off Britain' I suspect. How long before Harwich jumps on the bandwagon and jacks up their port charges as well?

Oh no! Then they would be able to afford Customs agents too!

:rolleyes: Don't forget that I'm Irish-American and you know what that means...........LOL

Uhmm, no.

I know when I travel abroad I have a blue passport that USA on it.

Americans are so hung up on being from somewhere else. I don't see that in foreign countries with their immigrants.

I don't mean to rant and I certainly don't direct it at you since you ended your statement with an LOL, you were obviously joking.

It's just a pet peeve of mine.

Sorry

What else is new? ALL the cruise lines are pulling US ships to Europe, Australia, and South America. Guess the party is over for the US. Still plenty of ships, but seems we are not filling the ships or spending the money the lines want.

They have abandoned may markets they opened up after 911. Back to Florida sailing. Oh well.....

Why not go somewhere else? The Caribbean is flooded with new ships from RCL, Celebrity and Carnival. NCL probably stands a better chance of filling ships where they don't have to compete with all the new builds.

We don't want to cruise on these other lines. We want NCL in the Caribbean. I hate they are moving the Spirit; I love that ship!:)

Uhmm, no.

I know when I travel abroad I have a blue passport that USA on it.

Americans are so hung up on being from somewhere else. I don't see that in foreign countries with their immigrants.

I don't mean to rant and I certainly don't direct it at you since you ended your statement with an LOL, you were obviously joking.

It's just a pet peeve of mine.

Sorry

No problem. It's just that I've never considered America to be a melting pot but more a Mulligan (Irish) stew, where the the individual taste of the components is not drowned out by the whole and the whole becomes something greater than the sum of its parts.

As for my comment, "you know what that means"; it refers to the Irish adage "don't let the truth get in the way of a good story." The LOL denoted the humor of the adage, not that the lead in was a joke.

John

A few years ago I would have been excited by these European itineraries. Not so much anymore. You can't look at the news without hearing about locals striking, bottle throwing, fires in the streets, general unrest. We encountered the strikes in Rome in 2006 and it definitely put a damper on that port of call. It would have affected our cruise last April to Venice and Greece as well, but the darn volcano took care of that. Land vacation in Paris in 2007, problems there as well. It seems the Europeans and/or their immigrant populations aren't really very happy right now.

I'd love to cruise the British Isles and Norwegian fjords.

A few years ago I would have been excited by these European itineraries. Not so much anymore. You can't look at the news without hearing about locals striking, bottle throwing, fires in the streets, general unrest. We encountered the strikes in Rome in 2006 and it definitely put a damper on that port of call. It would have affected our cruise last April to Venice and Greece as well, but the darn volcano took care of that. Land vacation in Paris in 2007, problems there as well. It seems the Europeans and/or their immigrant populations aren't really very happy right now.

I'd love to cruise the British Isles and Norwegian fjords.

Yeah, but everything is changing. The Norwegians now have more Chevys then Fjords.

That still leaves four Atlantic crossings a year to choose from. What, me worry? Nah.

@AWENINAZ -

If you stick with your 2011 itinerary out of Barcelona, we'll bring the Epic to you from Miami, hopefully in good condition.

And ports like Ephesus, Istanbul, Athens, Rome and St. Petersburg have much more to see than Samana or Nassau or Roatan. What's more...you won't find a Colombian Emeralds or Diamonds International store.

i want my tanzanite.......

And ports like Ephesus, Istanbul, Athens, Rome and St. Petersburg have much more to see than Samana or Nassau or Roatan. What's more...you won't find a Colombian Emeralds or Diamonds International store.

Or that newly discovered gem

CRAPAZITE

Hate to hear that the Spirit is being relocated to Europe. The Spirit is one of my favorite ships and N.O is close for me to drive to. New Orleans is going to get the Voyagers of the Seas next year so I might have to switch to them if NCL abandons New Orleans. NCL is the only cruise line that I have considered as I like freestyle.

Maybe NCL could move a ship to Mobile, AL as it would be even closer for me. I do plan on cruising the Spirit one more time in N.O as she is there for 18 months this time.

Well this certainly changes things. We're booked for May 2011 on the Epic itin Barcelona-Livorno/Florence/Pisa-Rome-Naples-Palma Majorca-Barcelona.

In 2012 the itinerary would add Nice and Marseille, and remove Palma, meaning 1 additional port, so only 1 sea day. We're not really interested in Palma. More interested in France and Italy.

Let's say a Med cruise is once in a lifetime (for us probably). NCL is a great value and we like NCL. May 2011 is already so far away, so May 2012 would be so much longer. What would you do? Is seeing Nice and Marseille instead of Palma worth waiting another year? :confused:

Will be going to Palma for the first time in May, but Nice & Marseille are worth the trip...plus from Nice you could day-trip into Monaco, if you were so inclined.

So book the May 2012 in Europe, and do a 2011 somewhere closer to home. :)

Yes I really wish NCL would use the UK. Thats why I went to Royal Caribbean recently. I am currently torn between RCL from Southampton or flying to take an NCL in Europe.

The Epics room quirks might work in Europe. We are used to strange layouts in hotel rooms (mainly because they are converted buildings) so it wont seem as weird to the European market.

You don't have to fly, to get to Europe.

London St. Pancras to Paris Gard du Nord on Eurostar.

Renfe TrenHotel from Paris to Barcelona (overnight sleeper train)

Barcelona cruise.

Alternatively, London Liverpool Station to Harwich, overnight Stena line ferry to Hoek of Holland, and then either north to Amsterdam or south to Brussels...

Or rent a car.

Just 'cause you're on an island, doesn't mean you have to fly...to leave it. :)

Is NCL abandoning you?

Most NCL Cruisers have just 3 considerations in choosing a cruise line:

1. Low Price

2. Low Price

3. Low Price

That's as far as their brand loyalty goes.

NCL has just three considerations when choosing which ports to send their ships:

1. Higher Profit

2. Higher Profit

3. Higher Profit

That's as far as their loyalty to you will go.

The Europeans have more money, it's worth more dollars, and they spend more of it onboard than Americans do.

Where do you think NCL will be sending their ships?

I'd forgotten that the Independence of the Seas does a regular series of European cruises from Southampton. I was thinking of transatlantic cruises when I made that statement. OTOH the Independence cruises seem pricey. Ah well! There's always Celebrity (for the moment)

They are having trouble filling the next 3 18n cruises(round trip into the med.

the 21st Dec Xmas/NY is down to £999, normaly no change from £1500 for a 14n Xmas/Ny cruise.

The 8 Jan just came down to £699pp with free parking(£140).

Archived