Is NCL abandoning US

Uniall

Yes' date=' the subject is open for discussion. But, the merit of the discussion does mot seem to be there for the abandonment theory.[/color']

Since the Jade was reflagged/renamed (2008?) she has been in Europe year round along with 2 other ships joining her seasonally. The only change the news release brings up is the addition of one more ship staying in Europe year round in 2013. So, by that bit of information it would seem that there is a shift going on. But, the news release does not say anything about the placement of the new ship launching in the Spring of 2013. Where oh where will the new ship be ported? My guess is that like most new ships coming into the fleet, NCL will place her in New York and give the rest of the "world" the hand me down, which possibly puts a "new" ship in New Orleans.

So, the final piece of this incomplete puzzle is the new ships about to be built.

Besides look what this thread has become, not so much what is happening with the deployment of the NCL fleet, but what a crappy company NCL is and what a crappy product they have to offer.

PE

HOW TRUE !!!! Dissing NCL seems to be a popular sport among those who prefer other cruise lines. Many of whom haven't experienced the pleasure of cruising on NCL !!!

I must confess a little bewilderment. As a loyal NCL Platinum cruiser who only books Concierge & Butler service suites, I can not be accused of being an NCL basher. I understand there people who don't like NCL out there but I'm not one of them.

In fact, whenever I emcee Cruise Critic Meet & Greets, I ask people to fill out NCL Style cards about "great service" and not limit themselves to poor service complaints.

It's my personal opinion, constructive criticism is the hallmark of brand loyalty and "The Emperor has no clothes" trap should be avoided.

John

I must confess a little bewilderment. As a loyal NCL Platinum cruiser who only books Concierge & Butler service suites, I can not be accused of being an NCL basher. I understand there people who don't like NCL out there but I'm not one of them.

In fact, whenever I emcee Cruise Critic Meet & Greets, I ask people to fill out NCL Style cards about "great service" and not limit themselves to poor service complaints.

It's my personal opinion, constructive criticism is the hallmark of brand loyalty and "The Emperor has no clothes" trap should be avoided.

John

I think the "dissing" comments were referring to a few posters who jump from thread to thread making disparaging remarks about NCL . I don't see that in your posts.

John

John, you were in no way the target of the past few comments. Sorry for any confusion.;)

PE

John

John, I didn't take any of your comments to be negative, but very honest. I agree, constructive criticism is important. As loyal as I am to NCL (like you) and a few others, I do not think they are perfect and I wish some things would change.

Many of us so called cheer leaders have problems with those who do come here just to bash or expect us to take their opinions as fact. I, for one, admit to getting very defensive when these posters pop up over and over.

Nita

Is NCL abandoning you?

Most NCL Cruisers have just 3 considerations in choosing a cruise line:

1. Low Price

2. Low Price

3. Low Price

That's as far as their brand loyalty goes.

NCL has just three considerations when choosing which ports to send their ships:

1. Higher Profit

2. Higher Profit

3. Higher Profit

That's as far as their loyalty to you will go.

The Europeans have more money, it's worth more dollars, and they spend more of it onboard than Americans do.

Where do you think NCL will be sending their ships?

You haven't a clue, I regret to say.

We choose NCL because NCL treats us like adults, allowing us to eat when we want, where we want, and with whom we want, while not telling us what the costume of the day is that we must wear to the dining room. When other mass-market cruise lines adopt such a progressive practice, we will consider them. Offering the ability to have a preference, with the possibility of being wait-listed, for so-called "your-time" or "anytime" dining simply doesn't cut it, nor does "suggesting" jackets and ties or suits, etc. for the dining rooms, while recommending the "Lido" for those who prefer dressing casually. We are looking for NO fixed time dining and casual attire to be WELCOME in all dining venues at all times.

That's our "brand loyalty."

I've got to say, my Brand Loyalty exists because NCL makes us feel like family.

Price has nothing to do with it, and I always book direct with NCL, without looking twice at the prices.

If they're going somewhere interesting, at a time when I can get away....then we're there.

it is possible to cut the cost of leaving the UK by flying via a european city on seperate tickets.

Possibly - when we were arranging flights for June of 2010 it was usually cheaper to fly from London (including LHR) to Dublin then back to states. I also routinely saw flights from Dublin to LHR to states cheaper than what the LHR to states flight cost (on the identical dates/flights/airline).

I think the "dissing" comments were referring to a few posters who jump from thread to thread making disparaging remarks about NCL . I don't see that in your posts.

John' date=' you were in no way the target of the past few comments. Sorry for any confusion.;)[/color']

PE

John, I didn't take any of your comments to be negative, but very honest. I agree, constructive criticism is important. As loyal as I am to NCL (like you) and a few others, I do not think they are perfect and I wish some things would change.

Many of us so called cheer leaders have problems with those who do come here just to bash or expect us to take their opinions as fact. I, for one, admit to getting very defensive when these posters pop up over and over.

Nita

Guys

I appreciate your assurances that your previous posts were not intended to take me to task and write me off as an NCL basher. This is especially true considering your senior status as posters. Perhaps, you had a Pavlovian response caused by past postings on other threads.

One poster made it clear that he has a bias in favor of another cruise line based upon his employment with that line. However, I thought his commentary on changing industry economics, markets and stratagies have some merit and are worthy of comment and discussion.

Unfortunately, the flare up may have cast a pall over the discussion and I hope we can get it back on track.

I hope we can agree on some underlying assumed factors, such as: NCL has instituted some major changes in the last 24 months: reduced Hawiian market, leaving South Pacific (Star Marco Pollo), leaving LA, rumored leaving Pacific Mexico, leaving NOLA (temporarily?), apparent shift back to Dawn/Jewel model after Epic experiment, increase in European market.

Why would I like to discuss these issues? I would like to discuss them to adjust my cruise habits, if possible, to any NCL changes, not to bash NCL.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions on cruise booking strategies, if some or all of these marketing changes occur ?

John

Guys

I appreciate your assurances that your previous posts were not intended to take me to task and write me off as an NCL basher. This is especially true considering your senior status as posters. Perhaps, you had a Pavlovian response caused by past postings on other threads.

One poster made it clear that he has a bias in favor of another cruise line based upon his employment with that line. However, I thought his commentary on changing industry economics, markets and stratagies have some merit and are worthy of comment and discussion.

Unfortunately, the flare up may have cast a pall over the discussion and I hope we can get it back on track.

I hope we can agree on some underlying assumed factors, such as: NCL has instituted some major changes in the last 24 months: reduced Hawiian market, leaving South Pacific (Star Marco Pollo), leaving LA, rumored leaving Pacific Mexico, leaving NOLA (temporarily?), apparent shift back to Dawn/Jewel model after Epic experiment, increase in European market.

Why would I like to discuss these issues? I would like to discuss them to adjust my cruise habits, if possible, to any NCL changes, not to bash NCL.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions on cruise booking strategies, if some or all of these marketing changes occur ?

John

The person who has a penchant for bashing NCL, while couching it his "knowledge" because of past employment history, has a long history here. It seems as though every time he makes his assertions about NCL his employment history gets more and more voluminous. I cannot seem to find anyone inside NCL that knows anyone that fits his "employment profile". With as many ships that he has supposedly "managed" I would think that someone might recognize him to be a certain person. So, I guess we have to take him at his word and proceed from there.

As for the topic at hand, please go back and read post #72 and let's start over.

PE

:eek: Now here's an interesting clash of ideas. Two retired attorneys, both lovers of history and learned in ancient civilazations disagreeing over the use of a humorous childhood memory as a literary device to open a discussion.

:D I can only hope we meet on some cruise and finish the evening with lively converation over brandy in the cigar room. You might want to look at NCL's Jade cruise to Israel, Egypt, Cyprus and Turkey, 10/15/11.

John

PS

:confused:Chicago jurories seemed to like my folksy stories. Don't such ancedotes play well in your home state of Georgia ?

Sorry, I guess that I took your post more seriously.

I have see the 12 day Jade cruise to Israel, Egypt, Cypres and Turkey. Unfortunately, the cruise that I was thinking of signing up for was in March 2012, and the prices were hiked up significantly. I have been to Isreal, Egypt and Turkey, so I may take another. NCL has another one that stops in Istanbul, which interests me, as well as another that Celebrity has that goes from Amsterdam to Istanbul.

I am no smoker, but would enjoy a brandy with you.

George

Sorry, I guess that I took your post more seriously.

I have see the 12 day Jade cruise to Israel, Egypt, Cypres and Turkey. Unfortunately, the cruise that I was thinking of signing up for was in March 2012, and the prices were hiked up significantly. I have been to Isreal, Egypt and Turkey, so I may take another. NCL has another one that stops in Istanbul, which interests me, as well as another that Celebrity has that goes from Amsterdam to Istanbul.

I am no smoker, but would enjoy a brandy with you.

George

Hi George

We had the good fortune to do Istanbul to Barcelona on the Jade, two years ago, with a magnificent week of pre cruise exploration. It gave me a chance to practice a few "Hittite" jokes. :D

Thereafter, I didn't see Istanbul as a departure or ending port, until recently, when I noticed a return to Istanbul while browsing.

When coupled with NCL cut backs in Central & South American ports and/or excursions, I wonder if geo/politcal saftey factors are involved as well as economic and marketing ones ?

John

PS: My retirement has provided me with the opportunity to increase my arm chair archeology studies. Beyond pouring over my monthly subscriptions to Archeology Review and Biblical Archeology, I got the chance to do adult ed courses at the University of Chicago's Oriental Institute.

You haven't a clue, I regret to say.

We choose NCL because NCL treats us like adults, allowing us to eat when we want, where we want, and with whom we want, while not telling us what the costume of the day is that we must wear to the dining room. When other mass-market cruise lines adopt such a progressive practice, we will consider them. Offering the ability to have a preference, with the possibility of being wait-listed, for so-called "your-time" or "anytime" dining simply doesn't cut it, nor does "suggesting" jackets and ties or suits, etc. for the dining rooms, while recommending the "Lido" for those who prefer dressing casually. We are looking for NO fixed time dining and casual attire to be WELCOME in all dining venues at all times.

That's our "brand loyalty."

i have exactly the same opinion about NCL

If I were to fly to Europe for a cruise that would be a significant portion of my vacation budget leaving less to spend while there. The same holds for Europeans coming here to cruise.

That's defenitely not the case for me. If I lived close to the port, I should spend less on the cruise to be able to cruise more often. Now it cost me at least $1000 to get to the port so if I spend some extra money on the cruise it doesn't matter much.

What do you mean with that? I have booked from NCL Europe and NCL UK and the tip has not been in the total fare paid.

Agreed. The prices quoted on NCL UK are substantially higher than NCL US however. We prepay our gratuities in GBP which is cheaper than $12 per day.

What do you mean with that? I have booked from NCL Europe and NCL UK and the tip has not been in the total fare paid.

Agreed. The prices quoted on NCL UK are substantially higher than NCL US however. We prepay our gratuities in GBP which is cheaper than $12 per day.

I usually pay $20 - $24 per day per person. The US standard $12 plus $4 - $5 each for the concierge & butler and, sometimes, another $2 for special service.

In keeping with the subject matter of this thread (Is NCL abandoning US?) here's a sub topic.

First, I've done NCL's Alaska, Hawaii, US Pacific Coastal, Panama Canal, NYC/Canada/, NOLA/Boston, NYC/Miami, Eastern, Southern & Western Caribbean, East bound TA, Baltic Capitols, West bound Med.

So what's new and exciting for me? Last year I saw British Isles but didn't see it this year.

Next, as I understand it, NCL's present ownership is 50% Apollo Management (which owns Oceania) and 50% Star Cruises. Has there ever been rumblings of being able to cross book NCL/Oceania/Star Cruises ?

I'd love to do 2 or 3 month South Pacific with Platinum Latitudes benefits. Do any other Cruise Combines offer cross line incentives?

John

NCL's present ownership is 50% Apollo Management (which owns Oceania) and 50% Star Cruises. Has there ever been rumblings of being able to cross book NCL/Oceania/Star Cruises ?

I'd love to do 2 or 3 month South Pacific with Platinum Latitudes benefits. Do any other Cruise Combines offer cross line incentives?

John

I'd like to know that too! :cool:

In keeping with the subject matter of this thread (Is NCL abandoning US?) here's a sub topic.

First, I've done NCL's Alaska, Hawaii, US Pacific Coastal, Panama Canal, NYC/Canada/, NOLA/Boston, NYC/Miami, Eastern, Southern & Western Caribbean, East bound TA, Baltic Capitols, West bound Med.

So what's new and exciting for me? Last year I saw British Isles but didn't see it this year.

How about this one ?

NCL Sun 9/16/12 - 9/30/12 Copenhagen RT 7 Shore Days in Denmark, Norway, Shetland Islands, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Scotland and Ireland

We've done NCL's Alaska, Mexican Riveria 8 & 7 day, and 4 Caribbean including Spirit out of NO and 2 day Trip to Nowhere out of Seattle. Panama Canal is on our bucket list but seems like there will always be Panama Canal cruises and one listed above doesn't come along very often.

Next, as I understand it, NCL's present ownership is 50% Apollo Management (which owns Oceania) and 50% Star Cruises. Has there ever been rumblings of being able to cross book NCL/Oceania/Star Cruises ?

John

That's a FANTASTIC question. We'd be right there beside you (figuratively), on this...if Star & Oceania cooperated with CAS as well, it would be even better....

On some trips the prices are sometime around equal once you include the taxes. but sometimes some grades are cheapoer UK so you have to check them all.

There do tend to be bigger difference at the higher grades especialy villas) but we have booked suites cheaper through the UK before.

UK prices HAVE to include taxes in the prices you see but as long as the tips/grats/service remain discretionary they can leave them out of the up front pricing.

picking the Jade Feb 25 9 night

cabin inside OV balcony mini

UK£ £409 £539 £609 £729

US$ $586 $666 $886 $1316

US£ £377 £428 £570 £846

the other thing you have to watch out ofr is hte 3+pax pricing these can be very different, UK often has differnt(increasing) prices as you go up the grades US tend to be equal all grades.

trick is to check both an booke cheapest, but beware if you book early the FOREX rate can swing the deal by the time you get to final payments

these are all before the travel agent discounts which can swing it againg UK tends to be 10% of total US 16% of commisioned fare.

On some trips the prices are sometime around equal once you include the taxes. but sometimes some grades are cheapoer UK so you have to check them all.

There do tend to be bigger difference at the higher grades especialy villas) but we have booked suites cheaper through the UK before.

UK prices HAVE to include taxes in the prices you see but as long as the tips/grats/service remain discretionary they can leave them out of the up front pricing.

picking the Jade Feb 25 9 night

cabin inside OV balcony mini

UK£ £409 £539 £609 £729

US$ $586 $666 $886 $1316

US£ £377 £428 £570 £846

the other thing you have to watch out ofr is hte 3+pax pricing these can be very different, UK often has differnt(increasing) prices as you go up the grades US tend to be equal all grades.

trick is to check both an booke cheapest, but beware if you book early the FOREX rate can swing the deal by the time you get to final payments

these are all before the travel agent discounts which can swing it againg UK tends to be 10% of total US 16% of commisioned fare.

Hi Guys

I find your comments very interesting but not completely understood. When I went to book my upcoming Epic Trans Atlantic from Miami to Barcelona (May 2011) several UK residents posted on the Roll Call that the sailing was not for sale on the NCL UK website.

Trying to be helpful, I found out that they could book throguh NCL USA's website but have to pay the credit card exchange from Dollars to Pounds.

Your comments raise another dimension. If I understand your observations correctly, for the same NCL cruise on its USA & UK websites, the USA price will not have any gratuity built in (anticipating the on board $12 ppd) but the UK price will include a pre paid gratuity which is much less than $12 ppd ?

These could be important factors if NCL is in the process of a big transfer of product from US to Eur. Assuming NCL continues to allow a booking by UK & US residents on their counterpart's website, a US resident might be able to pay a smaller gratuity but pay currency conversion charges.

I find this most intriguing, since a cruising pal of mine carries dual citizenship and dual credit cards and it seems he's postitioned to get the best deal. Am I understanding the situation correctly ?

John

Archived