Just about the marina.

dwelsh

What I get a kick out of is those who think they are being cheated because they paid too much, when over on sister line Regent, thbe luxury all-inclusive line that costs more than Oceania, no one, in any class suite or regardless of how much they paid, gets more than 1 advance reservation in Prime 7 (their version of Polo) and 1 in Signatures, the Cordon Bleu restaurant, except on Navigator, which has only one specialty restaurant (Prime 7) and only 1 reservation. Yet, no one complains.

Perhaps because their expectations are being met.................

Don, I am quite sure you and Betsy will receive your allotted number of reservations and a few to spare. Given your (well-earned) status in the CC community and your presence at the dedication of Marina "ain't nobody gonna' mess with you". I think the dining experiences of the more anonymous members of our CC community will be more telling.

"Given your (well-earned) status in the CC community"

What weight do you really think being a CC contributor adds to a person's position as a pax?

The CC community, although we see it as a great influence on the lines, really is a minuscule percentage of the cruising population.

LAexNY,

You state: Different size ship, different policy. Well, that's fine if they had been honest enough in the first place to tell us that. But they weren't. They kept that secret until recently and allowed us to assume the policy would be the same. Perhaps the clairvoyants surmised the policy would be different but I don't count that as one of my talents.

And yes, one of the reasons I book a PH is for the extra reservations because I prefer smaller dining venues to larger ones like the MDR. I don't question anyone else's reasons for what category they book and I don't accept anyone's judgment for my reasons.

Perhaps because their expectations are being met.................

Don, I am quite sure you and Betsy will receive your allotted number of reservations and a few to spare. Given your (well-earned) status in the CC community and your presence at the dedication of Marina "ain't nobody gonna' mess with you". I think the dining experiences of the more anonymous members of our CC community will be more telling.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to get a special look at Marina, but trust me, that only goes so far. I am receiving no special treatment on Marina. I'm booked in a B4 cabin and am paying the same as everyone else. I doubt the restaurant staff on Marina will have even the slightest inkling that I was at the float-out; certainly I won't be telling them. I'm basing my statements on my previous experience on both Oceania and Regent.

I'm basing my statements on my previous experience on both Oceania and Regent.

As we based our expectations on our previous experiences on Oceania.

I do believe though that the passenger without previous reservations will be able to get reservations (due to holdbacks) but perhaps not at his time of choice. It will be interesting to read the posts after the maiden voyage.

Can a PH passenger make reservations (earlier) for a table of 6 if 2 persons are PH and the other 4 Veranda. Cannot imagine how this would be handled??

Yes but you need the other parties booking numbers & surname

This will count as their 1 reservation

Just go to the Already Booked section then make reservations. put NO to sharing then add other guests

...I do believe though that the passenger without previous reservations will be able to get reservations (due to holdbacks) but perhaps not at his time of choice...

Ahh -- probably quite true. But then like someone else said (I believe it was Bruin Steve), I cannot possibly make an intelligent choice 45 days or more ahead of time. Even knowing port schedules, I can't predict when I might be tired or just in the mood for something else when the stupid reservation gets in the way. I much prefer to wait and take pot luck; it won't be any worse than any choices I try to make ahead of time.

An exception would be a special occasion like an anniversary or birthday. But, in the past, if I spoke to the maitre 'd, I was always able to get an exception for those occasions after boarding. And, no, I had no special influence, nor did I ever "slip a little something" to the maitre 'd. I find them incredibly anxious to please, and that a smile often goes as far as "greasing the palm".

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, some of us do book for the extra reservations, among other things. We have had excellent experiences in both Polo and Toscana, and while the GDR was very good, it didn't come close to the two specialty restaurants. I think that those of us who booked the PH initially read the rules and saw the "2 reservations for EACH specialty restaurant" part, and naturally saw 8 reservations, 2 for EACH of the (now) four specialty restaurants. That is what the rules stated at the time of our booking. They were amended later on, and THAT is what we are not pleased with. Had Oceania stated the new "1 reservation per restaurant" rule BEFOREHAND, passengers would have accepted it and moved on, and we wouldn't have all this fuss. Those responsible for the Marina website dropped the ball and created the situation. Hopefully, but not likely, there will be extra opportunities to get in some extra reservations at RG and Jacques, but I'm not optimistic about that.

Marina naming ceremony (Christening) will take place in Miami on 5 February:

A Christening With Hart

“Entertainment Tonight” host Mary Hart will serve as the godmother of Marina. Hart will name the ship in Miami at a lavish, invitation-only christening ceremony February 5, which will culminate with a 15-liter Nebuchadnezzar of champagne, custom-made by Armand de Brignac, commemoratively crashing against the hull.

lovetocruise16,

I agree with you completely. Only I don't think it's a matter of anyone dropping the ball. I feel it was a deliberate misrepresentation because they clearly had to have known from the start that the policy would be different but chose not to tell us upfront.

Looks like we are on the same page, wripro, with one exception: after seeing the online confusion with booking cooking classes, booking excursions, having the site unavailable for hours at a time,etc., I tend to think that the Marina website was manned by folks who were not up to the task.(Later confirmed by a different O rep.) I do not think Oceania deliberately misled us; perhaps the powers that be did not think through the logistics of passengers vs reservations for the larger vessel. Hard to imagine that someone would not have thought about this problem ahead of time, but feel they just ignored it, thinking that Oceania passengers would just roll with it. One responder to my early posting on this subject stated that Oceania passengers do not scramble for reservations once onboard. I disagree and think there will be lines trying to book those extra dining privileges. Hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, some of us feel that we were shortchanged with the reservations, and it did leave a bad taste in our mouths. I heard from one Oceania rep that some PH folks that booked and made final payment very early were able to get all 8 reservations as the website then allowed it. Perhaps that's why, when I went online on the day of our final PH payment, expecting to find openings for supper, that many options were already taken. It will be interesting to read how things are handled on the Maiden Voyage.

Fincantieri delivers Oceania’s first newbuild, Marina

Wednesday, 19 January 2011 13:05

Fincantieri’s Sestri Ponente shipyard today delivered Oceania Cruises’ 66,000gt Marina. Frank Del Rio, co-founder of the line and chairman and ceo of parent Prestige Cruise Holdings, said the ship is ‘destined to be a game-changer in the industry.

‘The superb gourmet restaurants and exquisite residential interiors reflect the best of what makes Oceania Cruises such an unrivaled experience,’ he added.

‘The new Marina is not only beautiful, but one of the most elegant ships we have built in the last years,’ said Fincantieri ceo Giuseppe Bono. ‘Today is a proud day for all of our employees and partners associated with this first newbuild for Oceania Cruises.’

The 1,250-passenger Marina features 10 dining venues including numerous no-charge gourmet alternatives such as the first sea-going restaurant by Jacques Pépin. Other elements include the Bon Appétit Culinary Center, Ralph Lauren Home-furnished owner’s suites, a Lalique grand stairway, Canyon Ranch Spa Club and luxurious accommodations by designer Dakota Jackson.

Marina is due to sail on her maiden voyage from Barcelona on Saturday. The ship will be named in Miami on Feb. 5.

Marina’s sister, Riviera, is being built at the Sestri Ponente and is scheduled to debut in April 2012.

© Copyright 2011 Seatrade Communications Limited.

Lovetcruise16,

Strangely enough I got the exact four reservations I wanted without any problem. We'll see what happens onboard as far as extra reservations are concerned. I just don't see it being as easy as on the smaller ships with twice as many people and far less capacity.

Just got our first glimpse of Marina from the rooftop deck of our hotel, Duquesa de Cardona. She's berthed, waiting for all of us for the Maiden Voyage!!! She's big. If I could upload a picture I would, but DH says we have to go now. I'll try later. Cheers all. kay

Yes, I was fortunate enough to get a special look at Marina, but trust me, that only goes so far. I am receiving no special treatment on Marina. I'm booked in a B4 cabin and am paying the same as everyone else. I doubt the restaurant staff on Marina will have even the slightest inkling that I was at the float-out; certainly I won't be telling them. I'm basing my statements on my previous experience on both Oceania and Regent.

Hi Don & Betsy,

How many dining reservations do we commoners get?

Hi Don & Betsy,

How many dining reservations do we commoners get?

Not Don or Betsy ;) They are hopefully asleep in Barcelona

The peons get 1 in each of the specialty restaurants

Lyn

Archived