Just about the marina.

dwelsh

Gee, when I see an article entitled "Oceania Cruises Gearing up to Launch its Largest Ship Ever" I envision a 4000 passenger behemoth ...

Haven't read the article, just was reeling at the title! :)

We favor the 700 pax capacity ships....or smaller. Not interested in anything larger so descriptions of the Marina's furnishings, increased dining venues, larger cabins don't draw our attention. Marina sounds behemouth to us.

We are very pleased that O is keeping the smaller ships.

This article makes the ship appear to be even more enticing than ever. I love 700 passenger ships, but my husband wants something bigger, but not like RCI or Princess with 2500+ passenger. We have enjoyed the HAL 1300 passenger ships because there is more to do and the ship is larger in the water (and maybe a little more stable) than the smaller ships of 700 passengers.

From what I read, sailing on the Marina will be more like Crystal or Regent than other lines such as HAL or Celebrity. We have sailed on all of them--even Seabourne. This ship, however, sounds like it might be our best ever. I just wish tips and liquor were included--of course, they could be for another thousand or more; thus, it's a non-issue with us. I am anticipating this cruise in February aboard Marina more than any cruise I have taken--except for my first one of course.

Mom C

How about having this dedicated thread to the new vessel.There are so many questions and comments they seem to get lost in the general list.

Here is one to start:

http://www.avidcruiser.com/2010/12/oceania-cruises-gearing-up-to-launch-its-largest-ship-ever/?

Thanks for the sight, loved the interview with FDR. I thought the PH's would be bigger than shown. The other suites are incredible. Can't wait for our Feb sailing and this site sure did rev me up:D

I am sure someone out there in cyberland knows what the special restaurant perks are for the various stateroom categories. Would you like to share the information?:):):confused::confused:

At this point in the game

Marina Reservations: Oceania, Owner’s and Vista suites are eligible for 2 reservations per specialty restaurant. Penthouse Suites and below are eligible for 1 reservation per specialty restaurant.

I think that Wripro is right. I checked my reservation and that is it!! Still I don't think that is bad, on a 14 night trip I bet that if there is any cancellations you would be able to get an extra reservation or two. I know that on Insignia and Regatta we were always able to squeeze a couple of extras at Polo or Toscana.

I think that Wripro is right. I checked my reservation and that is it!! Still I don't think that is bad, on a 14 night trip I bet that if there is any cancellations you would be able to get an extra reservation or two. I know that on Insignia and Regatta we were always able to squeeze a couple of extras at Polo or Toscana.

This is right from O's website

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite and Concierge Level Veranda

10-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

This is right from O's website

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite and Concierge Level Veranda

10-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

That is for the small ships

Marina Reservations: Oceania, Owner’s and Vista suites are eligible for 2 reservations per specialty restaurant. Penthouse Suites and below are eligible for 1 reservation per specialty restaurant.

And Oceania never bothered to tell people before they booked PHs that the policy was different on the Marina than on the small ships. A huge deception imo.

Not IMO. Different size ship - different policy. Did you really book a penthouse for the extra reservations? If so, I'm sure you could downgrade or upgrade.

I can see why you are upset with "O" but they have a problem on their hands with the large increase in the number of premium accommodations on the Marina over the 3 sisters. It is a matter of making the special restaurant concept work so it is comfortable for both the pax and the line.

IMHO I think that when the ship gets into operation we may see some changes in their policies.

I'd like to remind all the avid restaurant reservationists out there that the cancellation rate for all of these "2 months ahead" reservations is likely to be astronomical.

This will either be a huge boon to the "walk in" trade, or those people who are willing to be contacted at a moments notice.

I'd like to remind all the avid restaurant reservationists out there that the cancellation rate for all of these "2 months ahead" reservations is likely to be astronomical.

...and this opinion is based on what exactly?

Since reservations can only be made after final payment (thus cruise cancellations will be for emergencies only) and as these restaurant reservations are so hard to come by (apparently), I don't see astronomical cancellations in my crystal ball. I am sure there will be some cancellations, but hardly astronomical :).

You took the words out of my mouth. I booked a PH for our TA on Marina - first PH ever. I did not even KNOW the policy for the specialty restaurants at the time I booked. I cannot believe that the number of specialty reservations would dictate what cabin someone booked.

On our Insignia cruise, I wasn't particularly wowed by Polo and Toscana. One reservation per restaurant was fine with me. We like Tapas the best.

...and this opinion is based on what exactly?

When I hear of people booking ANY NIGHT that they can get, at ANY TIME that is still open, fully six weeks before they ever set foot on the ship, I start to wonder how much they REALLY wanted a reservation in that restaurant.

What seems like "getting what you paid for", now, won't seem quite as attractive once you have to tell the guide that you have to end your tour early, or leave the pool deck early to shower.

Yes, some people will consider their reservations as a commitment of sorts and will "arrange their days" in order to honor them; yet I'm wondering if others aren't hoping to use their "booked" reservations as bargaining chips, particularly the "sea day" reservations.

When I hear of people booking ANY NIGHT that they can get, at ANY TIME that is still open, fully six weeks before they ever set foot on the ship, I start to wonder how much they REALLY wanted a reservation in that restaurant.

What seems like "getting what you paid for", now, won't seem quite as attractive once you have to tell the guide that you have to end your tour early, or leave the pool deck early to shower.

Yes, some people will consider their reservations as a commitment of sorts and will "arrange their days" in order to honor them; yet I'm wondering if others aren't hoping to use their "booked" reservations as bargaining chips, particularly the "sea day" reservations.

With the maiden voyage less than a month away, if you haven't booked your private tours yet, you are probably out of luck; you also should have a pretty good idea of what tours are offered by the ship and what those times are - at least I would be all set in that department long ago.

With the restaurants fully booked, their "bargaining chips" may be worthless.

It will be interesting to hear from the passengers on the maiden voyage how all this is playing out.

With the maiden voyage less than a month away, if you haven't booked your private tours yet, you are probably out of luck; you also should have a pretty good idea of what tours are offered by the ship and what those times are - at least I would be all set in that department long ago.

With the restaurants fully booked, their "bargaining chips" may be worthless.

It will be interesting to hear from the passengers on the maiden voyage how all this is playing out.

I'll be sure to let you know. We have not booked any advance reservations; for neither the restaurants or the tours. We have always been accommodated in the past, and I see no reason why it will be any different, now. They have always held back reservations in both departments for those who wait to board. In fact, n the past I have not even made restaurant reservations on the first day, except on or first cruise. A guaranteed number of reservations is a guarantee, no matter how one looks at it.

What I get a kick out of is those who think they are being cheated because they paid too much, when over on sister line Regent, thbe luxury all-inclusive line that costs more than Oceania, no one, in any class suite or regardless of how much they paid, gets more than 1 advance reservation in Prime 7 (their version of Polo) and 1 in Signatures, the Cordon Bleu restaurant, except on Navigator, which has only one specialty restaurant (Prime 7) and only 1 reservation. Yet, no one complains. Almost makes some Oceania passengers sound like Carnival.

Archived