Dream dessert

Tina G

We are new to HAL, after many cruises with Princess. What is the dessert to die for? Will I go into withdrawal from my LoveBoat Dream? Is there a special dessert celebration that we should not miss?:p

I am typically a fan of bread pudding, so I was looking forward to sampling the famous bread pudding that lots of CC members describe on this board.

I did, and it was a huge disappointment. I tried it again the next day to see if perhaps the first serving was just "off". The second serving was just as dismal as the first.

I thought the desserts looked prettier than they tasted.

Keeping in mind that what one person thinks was wonderful another might not give a second thought to ordering again, and different chefs can make a difference, the Pinnacle Grill chocolate volcano cake is probably my favorite. The unique presentation, contained in its own cauldron (caldera?) as it were, adds to its mystique IMO. I'm pretty picky about handing out compliments about cheescake, but must say that the PG raspberry cheesecake we enjoyed while aboard the Amsterdam earlier this month was remarkably smooth, appropriately moist not dry, with a perfect crust, and a particularly adept mixing in of berries that enhanced rather than overwhelmed the texture and flavor. The Le Cirque chocolate souffle was particularly flavorful, as was the PG vanilla souffle.

One of the biggest surprises of our most recent cruise was a freshly-made german chocolate cake. A cake that I usually enjoy but rarely rave about, this particular effort was magnificent. The coconut leapt out to reach the taste buds rather than surrender to the moist chocolate cake and frosting. It was an impressive performance, all the more so because it wasn't prepared for any special occasion but, IIRC, a Lido afternoon offering.

I'm not a dessert person, but I do recall enjoying the special rice pudding with palm tree sugar syrup that was served with the Indonesian lunch.

I disagree with the general sentiment that HAL doesn't do good desserts; it's just that there usually isn't some sinfully decadent 3,000 calorie diet-buster on the menu. It's more basic fare - eclairs, ice cream, fruit sorbet, cheese plate, etc.

Way back in The Day, they used to do tableside flambes - Bananas Foster, various crepes, etc. Those were wonderful, but I don't know if they still do them (tableside or otherwise).

I haven't seen crepes or flambes in over 2 years on any ship.

There was a time when they did them tableside. Then because of fire regulations they would at least do them in the kitchen -- now that is gone.

Everytime I have asked about the Cappuchino Bombe (hard dark chocolate, etc. etc. etc.) it has always been served to us on the next night!

Of course, we have had some wonderful waiters on every cruise except our last one. Sure we will have a wonderful waiter in May when we return to late, fixed, dining! Hated the open seating on last cruise.

I love dessert, and in my younger days I could easily have two with lunch, three with dinner and at least one for an afternoon snack! I don't waste calories on "drinks" (including soda), bread, or potatoes (usually); just dessert.:D

Having said that: "Keeping in mind that what one person thinks was wonderful another might not give a second thought to ordering again, and different chefs can make a difference, the Pinnacle Grill chocolate volcano cake is probably my favorite. The unique presentation, contained in its own cauldron (caldera?) as it were, adds to its mystique IMO." Just returning from the Ryndam, the dessert I loved the most was the flourless chocolate cake from the MDR at the Master Chef's Dinner (I ordered dark cherry ice cream with it;)). It looked almost like a BIG COOKIE... and my husband HATED it. I don't recall seeing a "unique" presentation for the Volcano Cake and the two times I ordered it, it did not "erupt"; isn't it supposed to? Much of the food varies by the chef who is preparing it.

I had "Crepes Suzette" at the dessert buffet on the Ryndam, and also on the Amsterdam in June and the Rotterdam in April; that is as far back as I can remember...

"There is a LOT of gelatin used, replacing eggs, butter, cream. I don't need a gazillion-calorie dessert, but I do prefer that the taste and texture is appealing. For me, gelatin is a deal-breaker." AHA! GELATIN!! It is used in the Lido and the "Dessert" (often referred to as the CHOCOLATE) Buffet too often IMO!!

This isn't really considered dessert, but I thought that the marble cake that they served at Afternoon Tea was really good. Just the right combination of moisture and density.

I second the Master Chef's dinner flourless chocolate cake!

Our "tastes" are very similar! I forgot about the marble pound cake because they didn't serve it either of the days I went to the tea last week! :( On one cruise, I happened to walk by the Explorer's Lounge as the tea was ending...and asked for a slice of the marble cake ;), which they were more than happy to get for me.:D

they must serve different desserts on different ships - haven't seen snickers pie, German chocolate cake, flourless chocolate cake for years.

Personally, I think they should stop all the fancy presentation stuff and just give us a small portion of really good dessert - without the gelatin.

I read that one woman orders the fruit cup appetizer and sets it aside for dessert - sounds like a good idea to me!

I read that one woman orders the fruit cup appetizer and sets it aside for dessert - sounds like a good idea to me!

The cold fruit soups also make great desserts too. They have always been very good when ordered as the soup course, so either give them another chance at the end of the meal too, or order instead just for the final course.

they must serve different desserts on different ships - haven't seen snickers pie, German chocolate cake, flourless chocolate cake for years.

Personally, I think they should stop all the fancy presentation stuff and just give us a small portion of really good dessert - without the gelatin.

I've seen people get a fruit plate in the past so that might be an option. I eat pretty darn healthy at home so the last thing I want is more fruit on a holiday:D;). The snickers pie is hit and miss. Sometimes you don't see it for years and then it comes out again. The german choc. cake was available on the Ryndam in Oct.2010 so it could be new. It's the first time I saw it. I thought it was ok but nothing terrific. I bake really well so my expectations could be different then others.

I just remembered another one - On the Veendam in '01 they had a confection/event called "The Running of the Moose" that took the place of the usual Baked Alaska parade on one of the formal nights. The dessert itself was essentially a Baked Alaska, but with chocolate merengue, chocolate pound cake and moose-tracks ice cream. Chocoholics rejoice! The stewards all wore Bullwinkle hats with moose antlers as they marched around the dining room with it.

The head-scratching part about it was... this was on a Caribbean cruise. :confused: Must have been a holdover from the Alaska season?

This was the only time I ever saw that. The chef on that trip was Tony Tudla; it must have been a personal conceit of his.

My best friend and I have taken 3 HAL cruises together and we call the desserts "moussy cake" and do not like nor eat them. My husband has now adopted our expression about the desserts. I do NOT like the bread pudding on any of the HAL ships (I've been on 7 different ships). My favorite is the blueberry pie (and other pies) that are served in the Lido at lunchtime.

lorekauf said:

I'm a terrible baker, and I still loathe most of the desserts on HAL. So I don't think your expectations are too high :)

I've heard people rave about the cookies on HAL but I think they are mediocre. I can do much better myself. That said, they had some chocolate cookies with pink m&m's that were totally yummy on my last cruise.

My theory is that the cakes are all baked off ship, frozen, and then thawed out on the ship. They all tend to be kind of dried out which is why I suspect they are frozen.

I usually stick to pies and things with fruit. They always seem moister and thus, in my opinion, better. Or something with lots of warm chocolate sauce will moisten it right up too. :)

Archived