alcohol prices?

Tropiclady

Can someone please tell me what typical drinks cost on Oceania cruises. We are looking at booking the Marina in August 2011. Examples:

Beer - Corona

House Wine plus other wines

Cocktails

Can you bring wine or beer on board for your room?

Thanks very much!

Tropiclady

Here is some info that I posted on another thread in March 2010:

1 Tangueray Gin Martini - $9.44

2 Tangueray Gin Martinis at Happy Hour - $9.44

2 glasses of good red wine - $22. 42

2 glasses of house white at Happy Hour - $7.03

1 Corona beer - $5.61

1 bottle California Cabernet Sauvignon - $49.56

All prices include the 18% gratuity.

If you have a bottle of champagne in your cabin, you may trade it in at no charge for a bottle of house red or white wine at any of the dining venues.

Happy Hour is from 5 to 6 PM in Horizon, Martini Bar and GDR Bar.

Don

I would like to see Oceania consider a package similar to what Celebrity is offering. A per day price that would make the alcohol all inclusive(with some limitations.)

They are very expensive unless you are a BIG drinker ;)

Maybe a drink card like the mass market coffee cards or maybe just leave things as is:D

Lyn

IMO those Celebrity "Beverage packages" are obnoxiously expensive. :mad:

You would have to drink at least 5 drinks or 8 beers a day just to break even :D

I would not be able to walk after that many drinks but then again I am a light drinker ;)

Maybe they will copy Azamara instead :eek::D

Lyn

The beauty of it is that it wouldn't add any cost to those that don't want to participate yet give those that like the option of not signing etc the experience they are looking for on Regent, Silversea and other AI lines.

For heavy drinkers it seems to be a decent deal on X.

I find the package approach interesting but agree that probably it won't be priced to my satisfaction!

The fact is that I'm such a tightwad that I actually drink more wheen I'm at home than when I'm on board. We don't go to the bars because my husband, while not a teetoller, rarely drinks more than an occasional glass of wine. In fact, he's far more likely to take a sip of my wine and never has hard liquor.

So at home I'll have a cocktail before dinner and wine with, but on board I pretty much limit myself to buying a bottle of wine a nursing it through 3-4 dinners. If there were a package that gives me something like one cocktail a day and a glass or two of wine with dinner, for what I consider a reasonable price (therein lies the rub) I probably would get it.

When I moved to NYC in 1970 I went to a theater bar for cocktails ... many of my friends were regulars there, and so I joined them once or twice a week for a while. A tanquerary martini cost $.75 back then ....:D

Gone are the days!

Now that sodas are included I will be bringing a bottle of citrus vodka on board to have my afternoon vodka and tonic in the cabin. I may also mix it up by grabbing a glass of OJ or cranberry juice and some lime wedges from the breakfast buffet and putting it in the cabin frig until afternoon cocktail time.

If you have a bottle of champagne in your cabin, you may trade it in at no charge for a bottle of house red or white wine at any of the dining venues.

Don

Do you do this at anytime during the day or when you arrive for dinner? We will be bringing on our own wine for the cabin and would like to trade in our bottle of champagne for wine in the dining room.

We take the champagne to the GDR when going for dinner. The sommelier makes the exchange. On another point, if you do not finish a bottle of wine at one meal, the sommelier will ask for your cabin number and hold the bottle for your next meal at any of the dining venues.

Don

Interesting comments on the Celebrity drink package. We are sailing on the Eclipse in January and are buying the Premium drink package for $56 per person per day (includes gratuity). This package includes all drinks (not to exceed $12 per) on the ship (special coffees, smoothies, specialty waters, etc.). On previous cruises we drink cocktails before dinner, wine with dinner, after dinner liquers and maybe an occasional beer by the pool. We feel that it is worth it for the convenience alone (we are on vacation and breaking even is a "win" for us).

Now, that being said, we are planning a Med. cruise next fall on Oceania. Do they have a similar drink package? If not, we are considering a cruise line with an all-inclusive package.

Interesting comments on the Celebrity drink package. We are sailing on the Eclipse in January and are buying the Premium drink package for $56 per person per day (includes gratuity). This package includes all drinks (not to exceed $12 per) on the ship (special coffees, smoothies, specialty waters, etc.). On previous cruises we drink cocktails before dinner, wine with dinner, after dinner liquers and maybe an occasional beer by the pool. We feel that it is worth it for the convenience alone (we are on vacation and breaking even is a "win" for us).

Now, that being said, we are planning a Med. cruise next fall on Oceania. Do they have a similar drink package? If not, we are considering a cruise line with an all-inclusive package.

Oceania does not offer such a package. Perhaps this is because they are affiliated with all inclusive Regent Cruise Lines which offers similar itineraries (particularly in Europe).

http://www.rssc.com/

Interesting comments on the Celebrity drink package. We are sailing on the Eclipse in January and are buying the Premium drink package for $56 per person per day (includes gratuity).

Since Oceania does not charge extra for soft drinks, bottled water, coffees, milkshakes, smoothies etc... it is hard to compare.

Also looking at X package you have to purchase the package for the whole cruise even though it is listed Per DAY rates.

I agree with J & S maybe check Regent AI cruises

Since Oceania does not charge extra for soft drinks, bottled water, coffees, milkshakes, smoothies etc... it is hard to compare.

Also looking at X package you have to purchase the package for the whole cruise even though it is listed Per DAY rates.

I agree with J & S maybe check Regent AI cruises

Although this is the Oceania board allow me to make one more observation on that. You don't have to take it for the whole cruise, but you do have to take it for the remainder of the cruise once you opt for it.

The cutoff is the second to last day of the cruise. So, you could be on a 12 day cruise, choose to add the package on day 8 (or 10) and just have to pay for the remaining days.

Now back to Oceania :)

I have always found that the prices for cocktails on Oceania are less than the prices for the same drinks at fine restaurants/resorts on land. In most cases they are cheaper on board.

Well, they are cheaper than where you live, not so much than where I'm from.

Although this is the Oceania board allow me to make one more observation on that. You don't have to take it for the whole cruise, but you do have to take it for the remainder of the cruise once you opt for it.

The cutoff is the second to last day of the cruise. So, you could be on a 12 day cruise, choose to add the package on day 8 (or 10) and just have to pay for the remaining days.

Now back to Oceania :)

Good to know not that I will be sailing on X to find out

I guess the point I was trying to make (but failed) that you cannot just buy the package for day 2 & day 5 ...once you commit you pay for the rest of the cruise as you have confirmed

I think most people would take it earlier in the cruise if they like to have the option of not paying per drink but that is just my opinion :D

What ever works best for you

Lyn

Well, they are cheaper than where you live, not so much than where I'm from.

I do live in San Francisco which is far from a 'cheap' city, but I find it also true at any 5 star resort around the country.

Now that sodas are included I will be bringing a bottle of citrus vodka on board to have my afternoon vodka and tonic in the cabin. I may also mix it up by grabbing a glass of OJ or cranberry juice and some lime wedges from the breakfast buffet and putting it in the cabin frig until afternoon cocktail time.

Can you bring hard liquor on board? I was not aware that any cruiseline allowed that. I live in CA and the drink prices posted above are lower than the good restaurants here using the "house" liquor. I wonder if it will stay that way.

Archived