New to HAL - things we should look forward to

GORDONCHICK

We are sailing on the Oosterdam in May. What things about HAL in general do we have to look forward to? I know the beds are comfy, linens are great, but what else? Secret areas or something off the beaten path (many NCL ships, there's a viewing area of the bridge)?

We enjoy good food, and know and love the unique specialties of each line. For example, X has these to die for almond croissants in Cafe Cova around 9am each morning (free) and fresh Belgian waffles. NCL is known for their pretzel rolls (which I didn't remember to look for until our 2nd NCL cruise). I love a good creme brulee, and DS loves serious chocolate. Are Eggs Benedict available and if so, where? Favorite specialty restaurants and why would be helpful.

Dish, please! I love hearing everyone's favorites - it's almost like an adult treasure hunt!

Eggs benedict are available in Main Dining Room every day and there is a station in Lido which offers many varieties of eggs benedict daily. If you wait to order Room Service during Dining Room Breakfast Service hours, you can have your eggs benedict for Room Service, In cabin dining. :)

Enjoy.

Zip through these Oosterdam Mexican Riviera photos to the second page and you will see the Lido Eggs Benedict station with the many varieties available on this ship - if you like your yolks a certain way be sure to say so when you order because of health considerations they may cook the yolk a bit too long if you like them nice and weepy on the ham and muffin - usually at the Lido station you will be talking to the person doing the poaching but if ordered in the MDR you may need to make it a custom order:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46289847@N06/

Unfortunately, the Oosterdam and other Vista and newer ships do not have a bridge viewing area. (The older 'S' and 'R' class ships do have a place to peek into the bridge wings.)

To satisfy the chocoholic, stop by the Explorer's Lounge (not the Explorations Cafe) in the evening. In the center you may find a tray of chocolate candies. And HAL still leaves a chocolate on your pillow at night. And there is usually a chocolate buffet one night.

My mom loves the fresh flowers that are around the public areas and some how stay fresh and new the entire cruise (this included their cruise to Hawaii)!

They have told me to look forward to the warm wool blankets and pea soup which will be served when we are in Glacier Bay as well.

A really good room service menu, regardless of your cabin category. And some is available 24 hrs/day. The late night buffet, a different theme each night, e.g., Asian, Southwestern, etc.

Very few PA announcements. The bow being open for scenic viewing in Glacier Bay, if that's on your itinerary. Dutch pea soup served on deck when glacier viewing. The chocolate cake with raspberry coulis from room service.

Hope that I am spelling it right. Canaletto is the Italian bistro which is created each night from a section of the Lido. No extra charge and I think that the food is exceptional. Also there is a little gem of movie theatre. Check it out. Very few seats, less than 30 I think, but it is intimate and very attractive. :p

Liver, hard to believe, is one of the dinner options one night on every HAL cruise we have been on so far and every time it has been a delicious presentation. The last one on the Statendam being one of the best so far and all have been surprisingly good, but different. What they all have in common is they are tender and sweet and perfectly cooked, but with different treatments, sauces and accompaniments.

I also love their french onion soup, whether I order it from their "always available" part of the main dining room menu or for room service along with my favorite club sandwich, it is one of my must have items on all HAL ships. Another favorite seems to be only available on the larger Vista ships (Zuider-Ooster) -- powder sugar donuts in the morning at the Lido buffet. And only on Christmas morning on the Oosterdam last year at the Lido, the most delicious german style stollen holiday bread.

???? chime ringer?:confused::confused::confused:

The doorman who calls you to dinner by ringing the chimes. He walks up and down through the public rooms on the deck to announce dinner.

For obvious reasons, this is limited to the fixed seatings, but everyone can listen. ;)

The doorman who calls you to dinner by ringing the chimes. He walks up and down through the public rooms on the deck to announce dinner.

For obvious reasons, this is limited to the fixed seatings, but everyone can listen. ;)

We just loved to hear those chimes each evening!

I'm very excited to hear about these things! February will be my first HAL cruise and first 7 day cruise.

We are in our 30s and it's my boyfriend's first cruise ever!

Previously I did 2 weekend trips for 3 days in a group of 12 women. I'm sure that HAL with my man will be a totally different and wonderful experience.

Chocolate croissants and the Eggs Benedict bar sound like heaven!!!

How nice! Thanks for the explanation to a HAL newbie-ME.

Archived