Our smokey smelling cabin

PescadoAmarillo

I had the pleasure to meet Jeanne (Pescado) and her DH on a cruise several years ago, and know that this not your average smoking thread-it is a very well documented problem. We have quit getting balcony cabins as we always were surrounded by smokers, and could smell the smoke and sometimes hear the hacking coughs through the walls. I shudder to think that what happened to Jeanne could very well happen to us...

Carole

To all those people who say that Princess cleans the cabins thoroughly between occupants, this proves that they only clean the room a little as necessary & wait for someone to complain & proceed from there. Unfortunately in a situation as bad as this not much that the steward can do except put in the cleaning effort that PescaadoAmarillo had to expend and having him do so in addition to their other duties isn't likely to happen.

I completely agree that the cabin stewards are already stretched to the point of breaking & don't have any time for such thorough cleaning as required after a heavy smoker has been there.

That's why I believe in the OPs suggestion to charge the heavy smoker $250. Maybe they could pay another employee extra for the cleaning required to make the cabin ready for the next passenger?

Is this an Australian regulation?

Is this on all cruise lines or only on some of them?

Thanks!

It is only P & O Australia (Pacific Dawn,Sun,Jewel,Pearl) that prohibits smoking in staterooms and balconies. The Sun and Dawn Princess whilst there are in our waters are under Princess Australia and smoking is allowed.

That's why I believe in the OPs suggestion to charge the heavy smoker $250. Maybe they could pay another employee extra for the cleaning required to make the cabin ready for the next passenger?

why should they charge smokers a $250 fee when they can smoke in their cabin or balcony

PA-

So sorry to hear of your 2 day mess... I hate that you had to clean and scrub on your vacation... Though I admit, given the same set of circumstances, I would have done the exact same thing.

I am not even allergic/ sensitive to smoke. I just don't like it. I certainly don't want to spend my vacations smelling like an ashtray.

You are certainly a better than good sport.

I hope this never happens to you again.

TL

This is a very interesting thread. Having asthma I don't know what I would do if I had a cabin that was in the condition that the OP faced. If I stayed in a cabin that was in this condition I would have experienced some serious breathing issues. I just wish that Princess would consider designating cabins as smoking and non-smoking. I think a lot of passengers would really appreciate sleeping in smoke free rooms.

why should they charge smokers a $250 fee when they can smoke in their cabin or balcony

Pretty simple...if they leave it so smoky, then they are responsible to have it in the same condition they received it...clean & smoke free. As I mentioned, this only happens with heavy smokers who irresponsibly leave their cabin full of smoke. If someone left the cabin exceptionally dirty & in bad shape for the next passengers, they should also be responsible.

I'm not talking about considerate smokers but those who leave their cabins in a condition that leaves it not ready for the next passengers without extensive cleaning far beyond what's normally necessary.

Who do you feel is responsible for the extra cleaning required???

Princess, every other paying passenger...who?

I certainly don't want that cost added into my cruise cost & probably neither does any other considerate passenger. :rolleyes:

It is only P & O Australia (Pacific Dawn,Sun,Jewel,Pearl) that prohibits smoking in staterooms and balconies. The Sun and Dawn Princess whilst there are in our waters are under Princess Australia and smoking is allowed.

Thanks for the info.

Are you aware if it affects P&O Australia bookings with your fellow Aussies?

Thanks for the info.

Are you aware if it affects P&O Australia bookings with your fellow Aussies?

I think that it may have affected bookings when the regulations first came in, but I don't think it does now.(but then again,I am not a smoker). The smokers in Aussie waters have designated areas on 1 side of the ship to smoke.

Smoking regulations are very strict in Aus making it harder and harder for the smokers.

Smoking regulations are very strict in Aus making it harder and harder for the smokers.
That's been true in many cities in the US for years (where smoking regulations are local rather than national.) In the 80s, many companies went smoke-free. I can remember in the early 90s when towns wanted to make bars and restaurants smoke-free and there were so many predictions that they'd go under. Well, they didn't and the owners and workers in the bars and restaurants got to work in a smoke-free atmosphere.

Princess is going to have to get off their dime and re-evaluate their smoking policy.. Celebrity did it, why not Princess.

Because Princess has a brain, they know how much revenue they will lose. I don't understand why the Extreme Anti-Smokers, just don't book with Celebrity, seems the easiest solution, to make EVERYONE happy.

In case NO ONE has noticed, only Celebrity out of all the major cruise lines, has a restricted smoking policy. Doesn't that tell you something? I am very grateful Princess considers EVERYONE and their desires, whether it be drinking, smoking or gambling, they are ALL an addiction and a bad vise. I personally cannot stand the smell of alcohol, but I would never ask someone from refraining from their enjoyment, it's called cordial consideration.

Because Princess has a brain, they know how much revenue they will lose. I don't understand why the Extreme Anti-Smokers, just don't book with Celebrity, seems the easiest solution, to make EVERYONE happy.

In case NO ONE has noticed, only Celebrity out of all the major cruise lines, has a restricted smoking policy. Doesn't that tell you something? I am very grateful Princess considers EVERYONE and their desires, whether it be drinking, smoking or gambling, they are ALL an addiction and a bad vise. I personally cannot stand the smell of alcohol, but I would never ask someone from refraining from their enjoyment, it's called cordial consideration.

The issue is that since Princess DOES allow it, they should have processes in place to make sure someone's cabin isn't unusable. I'm not against smoking but rather against ruining my cruise. And having a cabin reeking of smoke would ruin my cruise. It would literally make me ill. As long as Princess allows it, it's not the smoker's fault; it's Princess'.

Yes, we do (I'm an anti-smoker, since they basically killed my mother when I was 11...) But I respect people's right to do so as long as I am only minimally exposed.

No one is blaming the smoker in question here, the issue is that if Princess chooses to have a policy where any cabin can be in effect smoking or non smoking, they either need to have a system in place to turn a smoking room into a non-smoking room, or permanently designate rooms of each type. If they cannot do so, then they should re-examine the policy.

In short, I don't care if the person in the cabin before me chain smoked the entire trip, as long as I get a clean room when I arrive.

If smoking incurs a unavoidable cost for Princess to provide that capability, then I have to say I find it fair that a smoker be charged a cleaning fee commensurate with the cost of providing the service, in the same way that a hotel that allows pets may charge a small extra fee because of extra vacuming and laundering that occurs, but the fee should be limited to the cost of cleaning, not a profit center. (In the interest of fairness, I believe this type of charge should be levied on anyone who leaves a room outside the norm in terms of cleaning).

I agree. As a smoker, I will no longer cruise on Celebrity. People who are that anti-smoking should not cruise on a line that permits it. Don't the anti-smokers check the policies of a cruiseline? They should. Complaining after knowing the policy is a waste of their time and hypocritical.

Simply put, even if you are a long time Princess cruiser, you knew that this could be the case. I'm sure you've had hotel rooms, rental cars etc that also smelled of smoke. Princess no longer fits your needs, time to move on. Think of it as a car maker that no longer makes the car you like, a convertible lets say, you look to another maker. Enjoy Celebrity. Princess owes you nothing.

And as far as this suggestion of a $250 charge, you'd only be able to get away with that if you did ban smoking, not if you allow it. Then you can charge a cleaning fee. Who is going to be the one who defines "reeks"?

A valid point. The alternative would be a smaller fee to smoke in the cabin (yes, its a little unfair, but regardless of who gets the room next, smoking in the cabin does require additional cleaning) - I'm thinking more in the realm of $35, or about $5 per day per cabin on an average cruise. Since over the entire ship, different smokers rooms would require different levels of cleaning, it should average out. It would operate on the honor system, either commit to the small charge up front, or if you were found to have smoked in room and not registered as such, then its $250. In the interest of fairness, part or all of the $35 could be issued back as an OBC (since OBC is used for sales, it's not $35 in cost)

Simply put, even if you are a long time Princess cruiser, you knew that this could be the case. I'm sure you've had hotel rooms, rental cars etc that also smelled of smoke. Princess no longer fits your needs, time to move on. Think of it as a car maker that no longer makes the car you like, a convertible lets say, you look to another maker. Enjoy Celebrity. Princess owes you nothing.

And as far as this suggestion of a $250 charge, you'd only be able to get away with that if you did ban smoking, not if you allow it. Then you can charge a cleaning fee. Who is going to be the one who defines "reeks"?

We are smokers and would have no problem paying a "smoking deposit" for a cabin. Of couse on our upcoming cruise we also plan to smoke on the balcony and not in our cabin for the sake of the next passenger. When the smoker leaves the ship and the cabin has clearly not been smoked in the monies can be refunded. I also agree with the remark that a person who trashes their cabin should be charged a cleaning fee as well. The stewards know when they are going to have to put in extra time to make a cabin habitable for the next person and can report such to their supervisor several days before the cruise ends and the person can then be informed that they should either clean up or pay the fee.

We have had balcony rooms unusable because the people next door smoked all day and night on their balcony and the smoke drifted our way -forward. We tried to go to a late dinner, but they never left. At 5:00am next morning they were still there until we disembarked.

We were on our aft suite last year and someone from the Riveria balcony above us threw a lit cigarette overboard we saw it float down -very scarrry-yes did report it, probably nothing happened.

This will unfortunately be our last Princess cruise becasue of the smoking. We would continue to get an OS or PS suite, however, we never know whether or not we will be able to smell smoke or if the room will smell of smoke. It is not worth paying for when other lines offer fewer places for smokers (outside of the ship or away from passanger areas). The stress of worrying of will we smell smoke or not is not worth it to us.

Thank you for your post PescadorArmadillo.

We are smokers and would have no problem paying a "smoking deposit" for a cabin. Of couse on our upcoming cruise we also plan to smoke on the balcony and not in our cabin for the sake of the next passenger. When the smoker leaves the ship and the cabin has clearly not been smoked in the monies can be refunded. I also agree with the remark that a person who trashes their cabin should be charged a cleaning fee as well. The stewards know when they are going to have to put in extra time to make a cabin habitable for the next person and can report such to their supervisor several days before the cruise ends and the person can then be informed that they should either clean up or pay the fee.

You seem like very reasonable people and thank you for your post. I wish all smokers were like you.;)

Moral of the story:

Don't rent inside cabins if you're a non-smoker. Better to have a balcony door to open to get some air.

While you have a point, it's depressing to pay the extra charge, which is usually quite significant, and have your balcony rendered unusuable by heavy smoking neighbors. You could end up with a smokey room and a smokey balcony.

The only answer is a block of smoking rooms, and blocks of non-smoking rooms. ENFORCED, which is a big Princess problem.

Fortunately for me I never smoked but I did marry someone who smoked for 30 years. He is the worse critic of smokers. My opinion is that princess should revisit their policy and try to accommodate those passengers that are offended by the odor. Why not have smoking and non-smoking cabins, maybe on different floors. As far as charging smokers more, that is not right. Its not against policy to smoke so why should smokers be penalized. I too don't like the odor but would prefer a policy change.

Recommending folks to take a celebrity cruise is an option but I would like Princess to reconsider the policy.

This is a very interesting thread. Having asthma I don't know what I would do if I had a cabin that was in the condition that the OP faced. If I stayed in a cabin that was in this condition I would have experienced some serious breathing issues. I just wish that Princess would consider designating cabins as smoking and non-smoking. I think a lot of passengers would really appreciate sleeping in smoke free rooms.

The idea of having smoking and non smoking rooms like hotels do seems very simple. Is there a reason that Princess does not do this? To my simple mind it seems like an obvious solution. Am I missing something?

In theory it sounds like a good idea but could you just imagine the problems that any cruise line would have selling a "smoking cabin" to non smokers when the other non smoking cabins were all booked? Once the non smoking cabins were filled most people would avoid the booking knowing the remaining cabins most likely had problems. They would rather leave as they are & hope the problems don't crop up or the people don't complain to loudly and try to deal with them on a case by case basis.

In theory it sounds like a good idea but could you just imagine the problems that any cruise line would have selling a "smoking cabin" to non smokers when the other non smoking cabins were all booked? Once the non smoking cabins were filled most people would avoid the booking knowing the remaining cabins most likely had problems. They would rather leave as they are & hope the problems don't crop up or the people don't complain to loudly and try to deal with them on a case by case basis.

How about taking this approach? Instead of designating some cabins as smoking, a block of cabins could be designated as 100% NON smoking. Carnival is doing it with their new Cloud 9 Spa cabins. They are charging a premium for these cabins (granted that they come with additional perks) but they give the strict non-smoker an escape from those "pesky" next door smokers. These cabins are selling EXTREMELY well!

Reading this thread, it seems like majority of people are OK with a cabin where smoking is allowed, but there is a definite percentage of people who would rather not deal with cigarrette smell at all. It's this specific group of people who these designated cabins would be geared to.

I think that designating some cabins as "SMOKING" is not a wise idea. I would be the first one to balk at the thought of being stuck with a designated smoking cabin (even if they are not any "smokier" than they are now. There's something about labeling a cabin as "smoking"). Even many smokers don't like the idea of sleeping in a smoky room. These cabins could sail unsold if the cruise line can't find enough people willing to stay in them.

Its easier to get a smoker to sail in a non smoking cabin than to get a non smoker to sail in a smoking cabin...

How about taking this approach? Instead of designating some cabins as smoking, a block of cabins could be designated as 100% NON smoking. Carnival is doing it with their new Cloud 9 Spa cabins. They are charging a premium for these cabins (granted that they come with additional perks) but they give the strict non-smoker an escape from those "pesky" next door smokers. These cabins are selling EXTREMELY well!

Reading this thread, it seems like majority of people are OK with a cabin where smoking is allowed, but there is a definite percentage of people who would rather not deal with cigarrette smell at all. It's this specific group of people who these designated cabins would be geared to.

I think that designating some cabins as "SMOKING" is not a wise idea. I would be the first one to balk at the thought of being stuck with a designated smoking cabin (even if they are not any "smokier" than they are now. There's something about labeling a cabin as "smoking"). Even many smokers don't like the idea of sleeping in a smoky room. These cabins could sail unsold if the cruise line can't find enough people willing to stay in them.

Its easier to get a smoker to sail in a non smoking cabin than to get a non smoker to sail in a smoking cabin...

As nice as it sounds about the Cloud 9 Spa cabins I don't see why anyone should have to pay extra for having a smoke free smelling cabin but as you say I'd bet they do sell out quicker than just a regular cabins. It almost sounds as though they're assessing the non smokers pay additional for the extra cleaning associated with smokers cabins.

Archived