Selected for Jury Duty the Same Week we Cruise

VgsBby

So we have been planning our cruise for 6 months and all of the sudden one of our group mates got the notice in the mail she is selected for Jury Duty. Does any one think she will have a problem getting out of her civic duty? What do you recommend she say or bring to help the cause?

Thanks,

Ben

So we have been planning our cruise for 6 months and all of the sudden one of our group mates got the notice in the mail she is selected for Jury Duty. Does any one think she will have a problem getting out of her civic duty? What do you recommend she say or bring to help the cause?

Thanks,

Ben

The same thing happened to me once. All you have to do, is call and let them know and they will reschedule. At least they did for me. I have heard of others being able to reschedule as well.:)

I couldnt just call. I had to send the notice back to them with some box checked and sign the notice.

I wish I could have avoided snail mail, but not to be .. but I got it postponed and the next time they put me higher in the list .. opps. lol

PS they sent me a bus pass for the first time .. if you reschedule that isnt any good either, which I didnt like.

Same thing happened to my husband, all he had to do was mail in the itinerary with a copy of the paid bill, or voucher, and he was rescheduled.

In fact they ASKED HIM when it would be convient to reschedule.

They will work with you.

Safe travels.

I once was call for JD 2 weeks prior to a planned vacation to Bonaire. I didn't postpone thinking "What are the odds?" Well you guessed it .. I had to go through the whole questioning thing for 2 days before they finally released me. I even pleaded with the Judge but he told me that a planned vacation was not going to get me excused. Luckily the lawyers let me go. It ended up being an all male jury and they convicted the guy of murder. Yikes! :eek:

Same thing happened to me: I had to show up with my confirmation. They were interested in when the booking was made. It was made long before the summons was issued so they just gave me a new appearance date. As luck goes, I did not have to even show up on the new date. Just did the call in thing and had the right number.

I had to show up for jury duty selection the day before we left for our cruise. I returned the notice telling them I had booked this cruise months earlier, but they said it was no excuse for me not being there. I did get dismissed, but I was really worried.

I noticed on our insurance for this coming cruise that jury duty is an exceptable reason for missing your cruise and money would be refunded. Not fun, but at least not money thrown away.

Same thing happened to my husband, all he had to do was mail in the itinerary with a copy of the paid bill, or voucher, and he was rescheduled.

In fact they ASKED HIM when it would be convient to reschedule. It's never convenient.

They will work with you.

Not only an inconvenience to the person selected but to the entire family.

Thanks,

Ben

They will reschedule you. Show them proof of reason for not being able to serve

I almost had the same thing happen to me..except Carnival wouldn't help me out. I got the early saver and got a subpoena for a grand jury trial. I am a police officer and had cleared it with the courts that I would be out of town, however the attorney disregarded this and still sent me a subpoena and refused to excuse me. Needless to say Carnival wouldn't refund me as this is "part of the job". But it all worked out in the end. I got my chief of police to excuse me!

For some unknown and God awful reason, I have been summoned 6 times between 2007-2009, and actually served twice. (Apparently, it doesnt count if you served in a different county!)

They kept summoning me (for both Federal AND County) while I was a student in an accelerated 2 year program with clinicals. EVERY time, I would send back my questionairre with a letter from me saying that I served in March 2007 (for 3 weeks!!!) and that I was in school and would be glad to serve after June 2009 when I graduated; along with a letter from the program director stating that it would be detrimental to my education and I would not be able to make up the clinic time. They excused me each time, (telling me that I could only be excused 3 times total) but still continued summoning me every 4 months or so.

I had planned a cruise as a celebratory vacation for graduation, and was terrified that I would be summoned for that week. Sure enough, 2 weeks before I left, I got the summons. I guess God had His laugh: somehow it worked out and I was able to enjoy my vacation and THEN return to serve (only 2 days this time!)

Bottom line: If it was me, I would try to explain my case to the court/DA office, with dated receipts. Be as pleasant as possible and offer another date. (It depends on your jurisdiction as to their leniency, and whether or not they accept your suggested date or are thrown back into the pile for random drawing.) It also could be who you talk to and how nice they're feeling that day, I guess! Good luck! Keep us updated!

I had to show up for jury duty selection the day before we left for our cruise. I returned the notice telling them I had booked this cruise months earlier, but they said it was no excuse for me not being there. I did get dismissed, but I was really worried.

I noticed on our insurance for this coming cruise that jury duty is an exceptable reason for missing your cruise and money would be refunded. Not fun, but at least not money thrown away.

This is good to know! You just NEVER KNOW when or why you might need the insurance; but then you will be glad you had it!

Wear a tinfoil hat?

If all else fails... :D

I got called up here in SA once before I started my job. I just called the phone number on the summons and told them that I had just started a new job and that I had been unemployed for a year and was it possible to be excused. No problem at all. I was told that I would be called again in a year or so and havent heard a word since.

• 2 weeks later...

If you call them you should be able to get out of it. My dad is an attorney and knows the system well. You can tell them it's paid for and you are willing to go at a later date, but you won't be able to get a refund. They will definitely let you reschedule. I had to do that for my study abroad and it was fine!

Archived