Crown & Anchor Society level changes

Can't help but agree with you. We're Diamond and just returned from our first cruise on RCI in almost two years. Were very unimpressed with the Diamond lounge -- cheap wine, cheap champagne, peanuts on the table (no nice appetizers like in the CL). Overall, we thought that Diamonds were treated like second-class citizens.

It costs you nothing to join. You don't have to use the lounge-and it's all complimentary.

Second class citizens-for real.:confused:

I have read that on these boards before and I also have read here that you must complete one cruise before reciprocity kicks in. This is why I asked the C&A rep. I was very specific and told her what I had read on the boards and she told me that reciprocity is there from the first cruise on the other line. Perhaps she is misinformed. I will ask this same question of the Capt. Club Hostess on Mercury which we are boarding tomorrow.

The hostess was wrong (I find they often are on board) - you have to be Select/Platinum or Elite/Diamond before the reciprocity kicks in. Or you have to have completed your first cruise on the other brand and then you can enrol.

It costs you nothing to join. You don't have to use the lounge-and it's all complimentary.

Second class citizens-for real.:confused:

It's not an incentive to stay loyal, either. I've either booked a ship with a D lounge or a GS so I have never experienced the Diamond events, but they don't sound all that attractive to me and no one is raving about them here so maybe Royal should keep working on this particular perk.

The hostess was wrong (I find they often are on board) - you have to be Select/Platinum or Elite/Diamond before the reciprocity kicks in. Or you have to have completed your first cruise on the other brand and then you can enrol.

Sorry but you are wrong. I know from experience.

I got my Captain's club number on Celebrity BEFORE my first cruise. They looked it up and saw that I was D+ on RCI and gave me my number and told me I now had full elite benefits which I did on my one and only cruise on X. In fact we were even invited to eat at the captains table with some officers - not the captain.

Also, on RCI now you do NOT have to complete your first cruise to enroll. You have to be ON your first cruise to enroll. I encouraged new cruisers to RCI to enroll on our recent transatlantic. They did enroll on the cruise, had a "gold" sticker placed on their seapass and were given a gold C&A discount booklet.

Gina

Can't help but agree with you. We're Diamond and just returned from our first cruise on RCI in almost two years. Were very unimpressed with the Diamond lounge -- cheap wine, cheap champagne, peanuts on the table (no nice appetizers like in the CL). Overall, we thought that Diamonds were treated like second-class citizens. We may cruise RCI again but it sure won't be for the loyalty program and have no real desire to try for Diamond Plus. We've found that Celebrity has a very nice loyalty program and will probably stick with them until RCI gets its act together.
We totally agree with your post.We returned to RCI when the Radiance came to Tampa, nice ship. I was traveling with my daughter in one cabin.The first 2 nights she was allowed to join me in the diamond lounge, on the third night the waiter said no, very embarassing to say the least.We are 2 points from Diamond+ but who knows what is going to happen with the new changes. Between the excellant perks and the smoking policy it is back to Celebrity for us

We totally agree with your post.We returned to RCI when the Radiance came to Tampa, nice ship. I was traveling with my daughter in one cabin.The first 2 nights she was allowed to join me in the diamond lounge, on the third night the waiter said no, very embarassing to say the least.We are 2 points from Diamond+ but who knows what is going to happen with the new changes. Between the excellant perks and the smoking policy it is back to Celebrity for us

We were just on the Radiance over Christmas. I was really disappointed in the Crown and Anchor person -- is that the Loyalty Ambassador? Anyway, each night she came into the Diamond Lounge and only talked to one couple who were the most frequent cruisers. I believe that they came to the DL because they were both in motorized scooters and it may have been difficult for them to go into the CL. The LA never came around and introduced herself or even spoke to another person in the Diamond Lounge. That's the total opposite of our experiences on Celebrity in the Elite lounge. The Captain's Club host/hostess was always there to greet you and made a point of walking around to speak to as many passengers as possible. One last remark and then I'll stop my complaining. We were really turned off by the reserved seats in the theater for Diamond plus and suite guests. Many more people were turned away than ever sat in the seats and you could tell by the faces on the "rejects" that this left a lasting negative impression.

The previous poster mentioned the Loyalty Ambassdor. In our experience most are excellent mixed in with a few who need more training. As for the two people using the DL rather than the CL; I dont blame them, there is more space and better views.

I have to add that we no do not expect to get any benefits from being loyal customers. Being D+ does not have that much to offer anyway so if we do get anything special thats a bonus; if we don't then we no longer worry. Of course on the Oasis, the CL is really special - without doubt.

RCL is in business to make a profit. They do not make decisions on a corporate level without carefully weighing the pros and cons, calculating the risks, and above all the bottom line.

When you make decisions you are well aware that it will make some people angry, and probably loose customers, but you have to weigh that against what there is to be gained, and what would happen if no action is taken whatsoever.

Last time they made major changes, these boards were smoking hot with angry people vowing never to sail RCL again.

Know what? we're still here, except for one who I think was not a RCL fan but someone here having fun stirring the pot during that time.

RCL is in business to make a profit. They do not make decisions on a corporate level without carefully weighing the pros and cons, calculating the risks, and above all the bottom line.

When you make decisions you are well aware that it will make some people angry, and probably loose customers, but you have to weigh that against what there is to be gained, and what would happen if no action is taken whatsoever.

Last time they made major changes, these boards were smoking hot with angry people vowing never to sail RCL again.

Know what? we're still here, except for one who I think was not a RCL fan but someone here having fun stirring the pot during that time.

This thread along with the others concerning the same subject have been amusing to read. I agree that on the last changes many vowed to never step foot on an RCI ship again and yes many of those are still here and cruising with RCI. Guess those changes didn't hurt RCI too bad. Stock prices are better than they have been in a long time.

I had to laugh over the comments about getting all worked up over this thread. If anyone gets that worked up over what is posted on a discussion board then they have more serious issues to deal with.

In the end, RCI will never be able to make everyone happy when it comes to changing the perks. It is what it is. People can deal with it or move on. Pretty simple but as I posted on a similar thread, when and if the changes come there will be foot stomping and red faces once again claiming that they are leaving once again. Should be fun to watch.:)

We were just on the Radiance over Christmas. I was really disappointed in the Crown and Anchor person -- is that the Loyalty Ambassador? Anyway, each night she came into the Diamond Lounge and only talked to one couple who were the most frequent cruisers. I believe that they came to the DL because they were both in motorized scooters and it may have been difficult for them to go into the CL. The LA never came around and introduced herself or even spoke to another person in the Diamond Lounge. That's the total opposite of our experiences on Celebrity in the Elite lounge. The Captain's Club host/hostess was always there to greet you and made a point of walking around to speak to as many passengers as possible. One last remark and then I'll stop my complaining. We were really turned off by the reserved seats in the theater for Diamond plus and suite guests. Many more people were turned away than ever sat in the seats and you could tell by the faces on the "rejects" that this left a lasting negative impression.

The sign clearly states that the seating is for D+ and suites. Why would anyone try to sit there if they were not one of the two? It's a small perk that RCI is giving out. Not a big deal. There are plenty of other seats if one gets there early enough.

We were really turned off by the reserved seats in the theater for Diamond plus and suite guests. Many more people were turned away than ever sat in the seats and you could tell by the faces on the "rejects" that this left a lasting negative impression.

I have no problem with the reserved seats for the big spenders any more than I get upset when I'm sitting in the back of the plane vs. first class. They paid more, they get more.

On our past cruises, they reserved the first two or three rows of the balcony for the Diamond+ and suites. To me those seats aren't that good because of a bar which runs across the edge of the balcony obstructs your view somewhat. We would amuse ourselves pre-show when the seats weren't reserved with people that would sit down, sit there a minute, and then move on to a different seat if one was available.

On those voyages where they have reserved the seats, five minutes before the show started, they would open them up. People "in the know" would line up waiting for the ropes to be dropped if there were a lot unoccupied.

Tucker in Texas

[quote name=mommabean;27351193.

Also' date=' on RCI now you do NOT have to complete your first cruise to enroll. You have to be ON your first cruise to enroll. I encouraged new cruisers to RCI to enroll on our recent transatlantic. They did enroll on the cruise, had a "gold" sticker placed on their seapass and were given a gold C&A discount booklet.

Gina[/quote]

We tried to enroll my niece's partner when we were all on the Freedom in October as he was the only one not a member, but the Loyalty ambassador said it wasn't allowed until after the cruise even though I said that I had read that it was now possible. He just insisted that no such policy existed and told him to enroll once he arrived home. I have since tried to find something in writing to take with me this October when my friend's son will be with us but don't seem able to find it anymore, will just have to keep searching.

Jewel

I wasn't "smoking hot" but a combination of denying me access to the CL, not being able to combine benefits, and change in price adjustment policy has sent me booking other cruise lines because the playing field has been leveled--Royal Caribbean no longer holds trump cards. Hence, a trans-Atlantic with a B2B and another cruise this year booked on another line this year.

Ironically, after completing previously booked cruises on Royal Caribbean prior to the change, I found I was only 2 credits away from Diamond+. Even though all my cruises have been seven or more days, I will lack four credits if they go to counting nights.

It's their program, they can do what they want and I have no quibble with that. Anybody remember when you PAID to join Celebrity's Captain's Club? I think it was $35 a person and I don't think it got you any more perks than early embarkation and, maybe, a special party. When they made it free, they gave us a voucher for something like $50 off a cruise booked within a year. I didn't have a hissy fit over that, either.

Tucker in Texas

What are They

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :) You can go to this thread to get an idea of the rumored credit amounts: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1325669&highlight=cas+changes

The thread is locked, so no one can post it on it. Please keep in mind though, that there has been no official announcement, this is really just a discussion of possible changes.

We tried to enroll my niece's partner when we were all on the Freedom in October as he was the only one not a member, but the Loyalty ambassador said it wasn't allowed until after the cruise even though I said that I had read that it was now possible. He just insisted that no such policy existed and told him to enroll once he arrived home. I have since tried to find something in writing to take with me this October when my friend's son will be with us but don't seem able to find it anymore, will just have to keep searching.

Jewel

It can be found online...on RCCL website...on Adam's Why Not Blog -within the thread - New Programs Worth Noting (Dated August 16th 2010)

"Now that the ability to book your next cruise while still onboard is an exclusive benefit for Crown & Anchor Society members, we want to make joining the Society as easy as possible. So we are rolling out complimentary Internet access for the purpose of allowing our guests to enroll in the Society via iCafe while they are onboard. Once they have joined, they are eligible to book onboard and take advantage of the onboard booking discount. This opportunity is available to first time cruisers as well as our repeat guests."

My DH and I are diamond plus and will be on the Navigator, January 10-15. Do you think they will lock us out of the concierge lounge as of the 12th :confused:.

We are sailing on the Mariner on the 9th and have already found out that we will not be in the CL. Not because of the changes, but because there are too many D+'s on the cruise.:o

CptSticky - How did you find out that you would not be allowed in the Concierge Lounge on your Mariner cruise?

There are several members of the roll call that are doing multi B2B's. The LA on board told them that there were too many of us on the last cruise (Mariner is leaving the West Coast), so the D+'s would be moved to the VCL at night and only be allowed in the CL during the day so that they can keep it for the suite guests at night. Seems fair to me, but I'm dissapointed because this would have been our first chance to visit the CL after making D+. The last cruise that we were on as D+ did not have a CL. On the plus side, the VCL has great views and the CL on Mariner has none.

There are several members of the roll call that are doing multi B2B's. The LA on board told them that there were too many of us on the last cruise (Mariner is leaving the West Coast), so the D+'s would be moved to the VCL at night and only be allowed in the CL during the day so that they can keep it for the suite guests at night. Seems fair to me, but I'm dissapointed because this would have been our first chance to visit the CL after making D+. The last cruise that we were on as D+ did not have a CL. On the plus side, the VCL has great views and the CL on Mariner has none.

As you said, we will still be able to use the CL during the day. You can pick up a quick continental breakfast with cappuccino, snag a cookie in the afternoon on a sea day and still have Diego make your reservations/troubleshoot for you. You'll just have to be out between 5:00 & 8:30. We'll have more room, better views and (from what I heard, anyway) the same drinks and munchies as we would have had being crammed cheek by jowl in the CL.

I'm betting that a few of the suite guests will be joining us, too.:D

Jewel

The people we know went to guest relations since the loyalty ambassador was too busy selling cruises. It was guest relations who signed them up.

I was on a cruise recently when the loyalty ambassador had no idea that people only have 60 days to transfer their booking to a travel agent. And so it goes with RCI and their policy changes. Even those who work on board and should be the first to know end up being the last to know. :rolleyes:

Gina

About five or ten minutes before the start of the shows, the ropes setting off the reserved seating are removed and anyone, who wishes to, can sit in the unoccupied seats. As others have said, some of us don't find those reserved seat to be so prime in the first place.

If you read enough of these posts you will realize that not all concierges or loyalty ambassadors are equal. Some are much better at circulating and making all the guests feel comfortable, others seem to focus their attention on a few guests or are remote and fairly inaccessible. The former become stars on these boards, while the latter probably find other career opportunities in short order. I wouldn't generalize about either line based on the particular performance of an individual staff member.

Archived