Paris hotel receommendations

joandian

We haven't stayed there yet but we selected Hotel Muguet near the Eiffel Tower, close to two metro stations. It is three star but it gets very favorable comments on Trip Advisor. It is also a block from Rue Clur.

Kirk

We are planning on 4 days in Paris post Med cruise in June and I'd welcome hotel recommendations. Open is any suggestions but was thinking .... Mid price, central location and close to the Metro.

thanks

Jo

Check out the Hotel Scribe.Meets your criteria except not midpriced,but great location etc.Really nice hotel in the 1st AA and close to metro and bus.Right across for L'Opera.So many hotles in Paris..check out Venere.com which will locate hotels by area and price.Hotel reservations - Venere.com

Jo, There are probably more than 500 hotels that meet your criteria (we could recommend quite a few) but when you say "Central location" that is not too helpful in Paris. Are you looking for the Right Bank near the Champs Elysee or would you prefer a nice romantic place on the Left Bank where its more residential and quiet. Also, are you going to be there during the time of year where you must have A/C? When choosing Paris hotels its helpful to first decide which arondisement (neighborhood) best fits your desires and than look at what is in that arondisement.

Hank

As Hank said 20 arrondisement in Paris. Most likely for your hotels are the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 16th (16th is good for hotels if close to Arc du Triomphe or Trocadero, not so good if located near the Peripherique. Good hotels exist in other areas, but for central this is the assortment of usual suspects. (I personally like the 12th but that is me)

As Hank said 20 arrondisement in Paris. Most likely for your hotels are the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 16th (16th is good for hotels if close to Arc du Triomphe or Trocadero, not so good if located near the Peripherique. Good hotels exist in other areas, but for central this is the assortment of usual suspects. (I personally like the 12th but that is me)

We tend to prefer the 5th or 6th. Only mention this to show the OP that location is very personal when it comes to Paris. It took us several trips to decide where we loved to stay. We also like the 3rd and 4th (the parts in Marais) but not quite as much as our Left Bank haunts.

Hank

Thanks for the replies. Not having been to Paris before, I really don't know where we want to stay and would welcome suggestions from those of you who have the knowledge and can give some advice.

We will be there in June and so I'd say yes to air conditioning. I also need to work a few hours a day even on vacation, so Internet access to the room is a must.

Jo

Thanks for the replies. Not having been to Paris before, I really don't know where we want to stay and would welcome suggestions from those of you who have the knowledge and can give some advice. We will be there in June and so I'd say yes to air conditioning. I also need to work a few hours a day even on vacation, so Internet access to the room is a must. Jo

Agree with Hank on both that there are lots of location and in liking very much the Marais area. It has lots of charm and character. Same for the great Left Bank area. Some parts of Paris are far from being the "interesting" areas people desire and/or they are in commercial, boring areas. You also want to be near major Metro or subway lines. You mention about wanting something as "mid-range" in price. Paris is costly. Sorry! There are also some good B&B options to consider. You can check this website:

http://www.parisbandb.com

Why the Marais or Left Bank? Here are some notes on a couple aspects for these areas:

LE MARAIS Area, NE of Hotel de Ville/City Hall, has Musee Picasso (structure built in 1659, opened in 1985 to settle his estate, open Wednesday-Monday 9:15 5:15) and Musee Carnavalet (built in 1540, two adjoining mansions with decorative arts from the various periods in Paris history), older area starting around metro St Paul station, has Jewish section in area with special foods and historic areas. It has the super great park and architecture of the Place des Vogue area. The Place des Vosges was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. What was new about the Place Royale in 1612 was that the house fronts were all built to the same design, of red brick with strips of stone over vaulted arcades that stand on square pillars. Cardinal Richelieu had an equestrian bronze of Louis XIII placed in the center of this charming park. Nearby is Brasserie Bofinger, one of the oldest and classiest places to dine (http://www.bofingerparis.com). It has a gorgeous domed stained-glass ceiling over the main dining room.

ILE SAINT LOUIS is one of the most charming little areas in all of Paris. So nice to stroll up its main street as you walk towards Notre Dame and other key highlights. Famed Berthillon ice cream: The only true Berthillon can be found at 31, rue St Louis-en-l'Ile, where it was born. This delicious ice cream has rich colors and equally intense flavors. It comes in myriad flavors, but the rum raisin, dark chocolate (chocolat noir) and mango (mangue) flavors are incredible. This is divine dessert territory. Lots of Boutique shopping and dining places line this street in the heart of Paris. Try Brasserie Ile St-Louis, 55 quai de Bourbon, 1er (tel. 01/43/54-02-59), that Frommers calls the last independent brasserie in Paris. They note: “Far from the polished restaurants that masquerade as true brasseries, this one has as its heart old Paris.”

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,745 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Its fascinating doing Paris hotel research on tripadvisor.com. Although we have never agreed with their ratings, it is fun to pull up a list of the hotels (by rating) and look for the high rated hotels with relatively low prices. At that point you can read the reviews posted by users (we think the reviews are more important than the rating). There are plenty of small hotels listed for about $100 a night that get decent reviews. We normally would not care about A/C in early June since Paris tends to have cool evenings that time of year (but they also can have a rare heat wave). Also keep in mind that lots of the Paris charm can be found in the smaller European style hotels and B&Bs. Our favorite hotel (Hotel des Grandes Ecole) is an example of a Parisian style hotel...but it does not have AC and some of the rooms are very small (not good if you have lots of luggage). On the other hand, it is located on a quiet residential street a few blocks from the metro. There are many hotels similar to this place scattered throughout Paris in all price ranges. Just keep in mind that AC can get a hotel a higher star rating (given by the government) which means higher rates. The thing about Paris is just talking about the city makes me want to be there!

Hank

Thanks for the replies. Not having been to Paris before, I really don't know where we want to stay and would welcome suggestions from those of you who have the knowledge and can give some advice.

We will be there in June and so I'd say yes to air conditioning. I also need to work a few hours a day even on vacation, so Internet access to the room is a must.

Jo

"Mid price" varies a lot from person to person, but from my experience you aree looking at a price range from 120 to 250 euros for 2. Almost anywhere is central in Paris, the only difference is if you want to be walking distance from certain sites and in what kind of area you want to stay in. Busy or calm, etc.

Here are a couple recommendations based on TA reviews:

The hotel Louvre Rivoli located next to Chatelet and Notre Dame. It has very good reviews on TA, here.

The hotel Varenne is situated in the 7th district, right next to Invalides and Grevin museum. It's 10 minutes from the Champs de Mars and Concorde. With really excellent reviews on TA, rated 44th in Paris!

The Villa d'Estrees is a 4 star boutique hotel. It's located on the border of the 5th and 6th districts. Its in Saint Michel, close to Notre Dame and Saint Germain des Pres. It has excellent reviews on TA.

I am just starting my research on Paris so please be kind. :) I am going to check on all the hotels listed here but maybe you could give me some hints on location based on our plans. We are flying into Paris and need a hotel for a couple nights and then we are taking the Eurostar Train to London. What area would you suggest as a home base? We do not need a 5 star as we don't spend much time in a room and we like the small, quaint, local type rooms.

Sorry I've not been back to check the replies for a few days. With the combination of being back in the office this week and still suffering from jetlag after returning from our trip home to Australia for Christmas, I've not been checking out CC.

A business associate told me she always stays on Ile St. Louis in the 5th(?) Since a few of you have mentioned this area, I'll do a search in that area.

Thanks for your help.

Jo

Sorry I've not been back to check the replies for a few days. With the combination of being back in the office this week and still suffering from jetlag after returning from our trip home to Australia for Christmas, I've not been checking out CC. A business associate told me she always stays on Ile St. Louis in the 5th(?) Since a few of you have mentioned this area, I'll do a search in that area.

YES! That's a wonderful and super charming area of Paris. Unfortunately, there are not lots of hotels there. But, there are some there. If things work there to stay, it would be handy and would give you a real "feel" for Paris at its best. The Metro is not right there, but it is not too far away. Below are a few of my visuals from that great section of Paris.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On the wonderfully charming ille St. Louis island, this flower shop is so nice along with other shops there. Lots of markets, dining places, etc., along this street.:

StLouisFlowSp.jpg

Also on the interesting ille St. Louis island, here is the exterior (with a line) for great ice cream at Berthillon and its interior to be served such frozen treats. In addition, here are two pictures of famed dining places on the main walking street of this historic island in the heart of Paris.:

ParisIleStLouisBerthillonExterior.jpg

ParisIleStLouisBerthillonInterior.jpg

ParisIleStLouisSergentTaverne.jpg

ParisIleStLouisLeFloreDining.jpg

We are planning on 4 days in Paris post Med cruise in June and I'd welcome hotel recommendations. Open is any suggestions but was thinking .... Mid price, central location and close to the Metro.

thanks

Jo

Hi Jo!

I just went through the whole Paris/Barcelona research shuffle for our first visit to Europe and upcoming cruise.

It's a lot more intense than planning a domestic trip, for sure!

After much research, consulting message boards, and reading travel guides and websites, I finally chose Hôtel de Londres Eiffel for our week in Paris.

Their website is here: http://www.hotel-paris-londres-eiffel.com/

They seem to get good rating from past guests and have been friendly and very quick to respond to all communications so far! The hotel location (near the Eiffel Tower) was what we wanted and in our price range.

P.S. They also have a shuttle service from the airport and will let us store our bags there if our room is not ready upon arrival. They have a concierge desk, as well. These items were important to us as first time visitors!

Let us know what you decide!

:)

We would not get excited about a hotel telling you they will store your bags since pretty much any European hotel will store your bags until your room is ready. As to concierge desks, this is also quite common and the smaller hotels that do not have a concierge desk will usually have some very useful employees at the front desk. We only mention this to suggest that in Paris, location price and charm are pretty good criteria...to chose a hotel.

Hank

We would not get excited about a hotel telling you they will store your bags since pretty much any European hotel will store your bags until your room is ready. As to concierge desks, this is also quite common and the smaller hotels that do not have a concierge desk will usually have some very useful employees at the front desk. We only mention this to suggest that in Paris, location price and charm are pretty good criteria...to chose a hotel.

Hank

You did read my entire post, right?

Where I pretty much mentioned that I chose the Hotel based on location, price, and charm?

That they offered the other amenities was icing on the cake!

Perhaps you could offer some specific Hotel suggestions to the Original Poster, who also specifically mentioned location and price as important considerations?

:rolleyes:

we were in Paris in May last year and we stayed in the Moderne St Germain. The price included breakfast and it was very good. The places to eat were very reasonable in that area too. It was a ten minute walk to Notre Dame and close to the metro. I would stay in this hotel again and it also had very good air con.

We are cruising in June also what line are you going w/? We are going w/ MSC. We ended up booking our pre-cruise in the 7th ARR at Les Jardins d'Eiffel. We wanted central area & trip advisor had great reviews. Using miles makes it really hard to find a hotel w/ reasonable redemption & great reviews.

I am just starting my research on Paris so please be kind. :) I am going to check on all the hotels listed here but maybe you could give me some hints on location based on our plans. We are flying into Paris and need a hotel for a couple nights and then we are taking the Eurostar Train to London. What area would you suggest as a home base? We do not need a 5 star as we don't spend much time in a room and we like the small, quaint, local type rooms.

I'm not sure for St Louis, but Cite you can check out Notre Dame you can get a room with a view on Notre Dame!

For small quaint, Meslay hotel is well situated in Republique, just north of Marais district.

The Plaza Opera might be a good option, it's located between Montmartre and Opera. It has some very good reviews on TA!

All these hotels are easily accessed from Gare du Nord via the Metro.

Any thoughts on the Des Nations St Germain (6th)? We will be there in August so AC is a must. Looking at 2 rooms as we have our teenage kids traveling with us. This hotel did get good reviews on trip advisor, especially for families.

Thoughts on the area and proximity to landmarks and metro?

Any thoughts on the Des Nations St Germain (6th)? We will be there in August so AC is a must. Looking at 2 rooms as we have our teenage kids traveling with us. This hotel did get good reviews on trip advisor, especially for families.

Thoughts on the area and proximity to landmarks and metro?

The Des Nations has good reviews, but the Varenne hotel is exceptional :D

Archived